PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 November 2014

JUPITER

You seem to be the only person harping on about this and discrediting Rooney's performance. I thought his high tempo and work rate was well suited to the role today and when down to 10 men he still had the drive to create.

The issue we had was the sending off and the back four, more notably the CB and RB positions.
If anyone can bare watching the first half again they'll see what I'm talking about.

JoaquinJoaquin

We were playing well up until the red card, and at that point you knew it was going to be uphill climb. What Smalling was doing is beyond me, I actually think that Smalling and Jones lack the general intelligence needed to be a top player, both just seem thick, and always ends up costing us.

DiMaria is well and truly wasted out wide, we can't have our best and influential player sat out wide, it's just a waste and cuts off our creativity. Januzaj done ok up until he went off, but his weakness is glaring at times, needs to possibly bulk up in the style of Ronaldo or Nani as he just gets threw around far too easy at the moment.

Again an average performance for Van Persie, how long can we persevere with him? Then again I think worryingly united are trying to play down Falcao's injury.
Wilson looked good when he came on, but we should not be having to rely on him.

More injuries in defence, unbelievable how many injuries we have picked up this season, maybe I'm being a downer here but McNair doesn't convince me, he allows the striker too much free room and doesn't play tight, see the aguero goal and again when he let yaya get that header in.

Overall it's encouraging but unless we start actually picking points up it's all irrelevant, the best teams get points and wins regardless and we need to start doing that

entropy

So in those 35 minutes that Januzaj was on, your take away from this whole match was that we'd have done better had Mata played his role hugging the right side touchline? That's your verdict is it?
No not really.Putting aside your cnutish demeanor. My hope was that having mata would prove more instrumental since he can bring ADM,RVP more involved in our attacks.As much as I like Januzaj and his efforts, him trying to get past 3 city players hardly makes for a good attacking opportunity.

JackXX

Played well on the whole. So frustrated because with 11 men I think we had a great chance of turning them over. Sending off has obviously cost us.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
No not really.Putting aside your cnutish demeanor. My hope was that having mata would prove more instrumental since he can bring ADM,RVP more involved in our attacks.As much as I like Januzaj and his efforts, him trying to get past 3 city players hardly makes for a good attacking opportunity.
Demeanour is spelled with a U.

Don't call me a cnut again, I have feelings you know...

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
great performance when we were up against it. So proud that we had 2 youngsters from our academy coming on, plus Januzaj and Shaw starting.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hard to analyse the game given how distorted it was by the red.

We played well enough given the circumstances but at the same time could easily have been down to nine men with at least one penalty conceded.

Our defence is a big worry but if we get good results in our next two games then things will be pretty okay all things considered. I guess one of Chelsea and City were always likely to beat us....

Varun

Staff
Proud of our 2nd half display. Really matched them till the sending off too. Piss poor by Smalling. Let the team down.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
We did well despite the early and stupid sending off. I'm happy with our style of play currently and where it is going but I'm worried that we are turning into Arsenal in terms of just not getting the results through for one reason or another each week.

ManUArfa

I feel we dominated the game up until the sending off and then again for the last half hour, making City look pretty ordinary for much of the game. They largely failed to capitalise on their advantage and that was down to our heart and spirit. During the first stages of the match I felt we finally were playing a team who can dominate both physically and technically and then Smalling went and screwed it up. Yes City got behind us a couple of times forcing some class saves from DDG but we dominated that first part of the game. However, I felt Januzaj wasn't up to the job today and I'd rather see Mata come in and play that position.

One thing- for the last couple of seasons a large proportion of our goals have come from set pieces but this doesn't seem to be happening as much this season. I'm not sure whether this is something LVG has not been bothered working on, with our change in emphasis to possesion football and creating chances from open play. However, set pieces are a very important source of goals in the BPL and LVG needs to realise this. It's almost as if Di Maria's free kicks and corners have no plan to them. I'd like to go back to Rooney and RVP taking the corners and, for free kicks, Mata (who has an excellent conversion rate). I know he didn't play today but I can only remember him taking about one for us since LVG started....

RuudTom83

Going down to 10 men was a disaster...discussing individual performances is pointless after Smalling let everyone down.

Laphroaig

Smalling cost us the game. The only things I'm disappointed by are Smalling's stupidity, the result and Rojo's injury. And Di Maria's corners.

Last edited:

marlowe78

Naturally I'm pissed that we lost but we played extremely well with 10 men, so I can accept 1-0.

The squad should take a lot of positives from today. Shaw absolutely impressed me in how he asserted himself. McNair was also quite good after coming on. Needless to say DDG was phenomenal and saved us from the game being over in the first half.

I have to be honest, though, and say that I don't think LVG had the strategy right today. People have said that if we had 11 men in the second half we would've drawn or won, but I don't actually think so because we were playing with virtually no counterattack before the red card. If we ever took possession in our half, Blind would get it in the middle and hold up play which allowed City to get everyone behind the ball and we were left with no openings to put attacks through. Our buildup was kept to passes out left and City had the penalty area too sured up for any crosses to get in.

When we fell behind, our tight formation relaxed itself and it allowed Rooney, Di Maria, and to a lesser extent Wilson to cut through openings that City was leaving for us. We really deserved to equalize but we started pressing way too late.

Besides the injuries to Rojo and Rafael (and maybe Shaw, limping at the end?), the main thing that concerns me is how van Persie is still going long stretches where he plays no part in the game. In the Chelsea match he came forward to play in the buildup but in this one he was back to stationing himself in the box and he is so lacking in movement these days that it is very easy for a defender like Kompany to negate him. IMO the attack up the middle that we so badly need is lacking because RVP offers so little chance to play the ball in. He simply can't get free from the two centrebacks. I think we might see more and more of Wilson as this season rolls on since he is actually taking part in runs at the goal and might fit into LVG's plans on how we will counterattack.

I also agree, BTW, that Di Maria had another poor game. He was dispossessed too easily and those corners were shit. For how much we're paying him, Di Maria needs to step up in games like this and produce.

And Chris Smalling...just get lost. I've supported Smalling in all of his time here but he lost his composure in a way I'd never think he would, it was on a level with Evans. To keep getting injured is one thing, to shit yourself in a derby is just inexcusable.

Nathan

I thought up until the sending off we had a chance to beat city - obviously the sending off changes everything. However credit to all the players we never gave in & in the last 20 minutes the city players were clearly rattled. Pity we couldn't do what we did against Chelsea & force am equaliser.

There's a difference about our team this season. They look like they're made of tougher stuff but until we get the points to back it up, it's just empty words. You have to be proud of the players for the fight they showed. Not many teams could live with Man City for that long with 10 men, let alone turn up the pressure towards the end put them in a panic. De Gea was our star man for keeping us in it. Otherwise we had a mixture of very good and disappointing performances. I thought Di Maria and Januzaj were both pretty poor throughout. Everyone else who make up our makeshift back 4 did a pretty good job all things considered.

Smalling is rightly getting slaughtered for the consequences of his foolishness. What's happening to our defence is heartbreaking these days. If they aren't making costly errors, they keep getting injured like they're made of glass. Something needs to be done.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Game was over once Smalling was red carded, the fecking useless cnut.

Pleased with how we managed the game when down to ten men - it wasn't the usual United capitulation, which was pleasing to see.

I just don't see where a run of wins is going to come from though - away to Arsenal and Southampton in our next five. I think we're going to drop a load more points.

Irrational.

We did very well considering the circumstances.

However, we must also understand that City were without Silva, and on another day had another ref such as Cuntenberg Clattenberg been in charge we'd have conceded at least another couple of pens and seen a couple more men sent off from each side.

The improvement is there for all to see, and I am enjoying watching United this season, which is something I couldn't say about the last.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm really sick of United seems to be giving players like Valencia, Smailing times and times again to prove themselves, enough is enough for me. IF you're not good enough to cement your place after a season you're not good enough, off you should go.

Teams like Madrid, Barcelona, and other European Giants won't tolerate underperformer for so long.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Frustrating thing is that if ever there was a time to play City today was it. Silva out, Toure's not turned up this season and it could have been a really interesting game.

Once Smalling went, it was just a case of waiting for the inevitable goal. Then they inexplicably eased off, and we grew back and almost snuck something.

We sort of look better and have good potential, but the actual points show us as worse than last year.

We need to put a run in. But then next away game after Palace is Arsenal, just when they're getting all their big guns back

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm really sick of United seems to be giving players like Valencia, Smailing times and times again to prove themselves, enough is enough for me. IF you're not good enough to cement your place after a season you're not good enough, off you should go.

Teams like Madrid, Barcelona, and other European Giants won't tolerate underperformer for so long.
Van Gaal won't stand for it.
I could see him splash out on 2 big defenders in the summer if he can't get anyone in Jan.

Woodenlung

Score line flattered United. De Gea made two great saves and City should've had at least one penalty. United were poor even before the sending off. Gave away possession far too easily.

The fight back in the last 20 was decent but nothing to really to make a big deal about imo. We made one clear cut chance in that period with the Di Maria shot. RVP an Fellaini were just half chances.

iAm20Legend

Game was over once Smalling was red carded, the fecking useless cnut.

Pleased with how we managed the game when down to ten men - it wasn't the usual United capitulation, which was pleasing to see.

I just don't see where a run of wins is going to come from though - away to Arsenal and Southampton in our next five. I think we're going to drop a load more points.
I agree. Sorry for being pessimistic, but the way things are going, even though our play in general has improved from last year, I just don't feel confident of us getting together any kind of string of wins :( ..The best chance we had was early in the season and we blew that :(.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Do some of you guys even like our players? :lol:

Smalling made some crucial mistakes today, he's not the first United defender to do it in a big match.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I'm absolutely proud of that performance in hindsight. They can keep their heads held high, at the very least. Loved that 2004 Wayne Rooney dribble near the end. Lots of positives, imo.

Winrar

I hope so, Smailing's potential, and that's all. Potential.

When do we draw the line that a player is not good enough. It took Nani 5 years to get the boot, are we some kind of charity?
Don't forget Anderson is still here as well.

Raw

Do some of you guys even like our players? :lol:

Smalling made some crucial mistakes today, he's not the first United defender to do it in a big match.
This, fecking hell should we sell Blackett too because he got sent off against Leicester?

Smalling looked great against Chelsea and looked good against City before some moments of utter stupidity. He'll learn from that.

Infra-red

Pleased with the 2nd half performance, but the table is starting to look absolutely shocking. Need wins now, lots of wins.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This, fecking hell should we sell Blackett too because he got sent off against Leicester?

Smalling looked great against Chelsea and looked good against City before some moments of utter stupidity. He'll learn from that.
Don't forget Rooney too.

The amount of times Vidic got sent off against Liverpool, Chelsea & in Europe he should've been sold years ago.

JUPITER

Your username is so perfect for you.
No seriously, watch the first half again and count how many times possession is gifted, unpressured, to City due to Rooney being played as a CM.

Watch how much pressure is invited onto our already makeshift defence because of this.

Count how many wild, cross field hollywoods are given straight to City for them to run straight down our weak right hand side and attack the vulnerable Valencia and Smalling.

Hed Zitin

When we had 11 on the pitch the passing was embarrassing. What do they do in training to pull of so many loose passes?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Well, our goal defensively was not to allow them to get Aguero, Navas and Milner space to exploit and time on the ball in between the lines and we pretty much achieved that one way or another. Fortunately for us De Gea was our guardian angel in the first half. Unfortunately City were quick to spot Valencia's inability to defend properly and overloaded that side.

Aguero started drifting out wide while Toure also tried to create numerical advantages for City on our right flank and keep Fellaini in deeper positions. After our lively start in the game we seemed to have lost our confidence when City found that hole in our defense. Rojo was also not having the best of games and some of his clearances were nervous.

Now, i don't want to defend Smalling, who reacted like a schoolboy in both occasions, but both his cards were a result of his anxiety to prevent City from hitting us where we hurt the most. Hart was always trying to play a quick long pass because our defensive transition isn't the best aspect of our game, Smalling tried to prevent him from doing that in an occasion where we had committed a lot of players forward and had lost our defensive shape. While he was successful, he should have just started running away from Hart a few seconds later. If you look at the replay it's Hart who hits the ball on Smalling and "earns" the yellow. The second yellow is for a very late challenge in a situation where we were already exposed, Smalling should have reacted better but he was trying to cover for Valencia who was caught napping.

Valencia was better in the second half and he hasn't done anything wrong in City's goal, they stretched our defense with their LB and created space for Aguero in the box. It was a good play by City who deserved their win today.

Fellaini was good today, it seems LvG has found a role for him and he has invented a new option in our midfield. That's a good thing because Fellaini, while not the most mobile and tactical aware player in the world, he can offer certain things on the pitch that are absent from our midfield (ability in the air, to regain possession, physicality) and help his teammates hide some of their weaknesses.

Blind was great once more, Shaw is starting to look confident in 1v1 situations again and RvP was trying to create something out of nothing in the box again. And there lies our problem, we look devoid of ideas when AdM and Januzaj can't dribble the opposition FB and create space for themselves. We still can't get enough players in the box and we still struggle to provide RvP a good shot angle in the box. All i know is that Rooney trying to change play with 20-30 meter long passes without any pace in them isn't going to improve anything. Wayne is a fantastic footballer but imo he should always play near the box. I don't fancy the idea of him being utilized in deeper positions in the future.

Anyways, we seem to be finally getting somewhere. I believe Blind/Herrera/Fellaini will be the first choices in the midfield with RvP up front, Di Maria on the left and Rooney on the right with Fellaini covering and giving him the opportunity to stay in advanced positions, in a 4-3-3 formation. Alternately we can choose a more attacking 4-2-3-1 with Rooney behind RvP and Januzaj on the right wing plus Blind/Herrera in the midfield.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 477 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Man City 2:2 Man Utd