FA L FA Cup Quarter-Final

Manchester United 1:2 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Mon, 09 March 2015

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Subs weren't good (though Herrera had been poor anyway).

Ultimately this is on our players though. Valencia's terrible back-pass, Di Maria collapsing like a ton of bricks after the slightest touch, Di Maria stupidly getting himself sent off, Januzaj diving....

Ref should have probably given Arsenal another yellow but really he didn't do much wrong.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great first half. We handed it to them with that clanger from Valencia. Dreadful. We missed Herrera in that second half IMO. Weren't creating anything before that. Blind was shite I thought.

FujiVice

Our players diving about like a early 90s German side made this defeat sting even more.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We should really stop playing Fellaini. He gets a free kick awarded against him every time he goes near someone. Regardless of how justified it is, it's just not smart to keep playing such a liability.
He's the poor man's Peter Crouch.

Spark

LVG should bollock everyone bar a few. Then someone needs to bollock LVG because he sabotaged us.

Arsenal were pretty poor and there for the taking.

Hed Zitin

Hardly created anything in the second half after a good first.

Stupid mistakes finally cost us.

Oliver gave them everything. Went down, "whistle"

Eriku

How on earth does Rafael not get a look in? First Valencia unsettles our defence with some Luiz-esque rampaging around, then he gifts a goal to Welbeck... Surely it's time to have a look at other options, Louis?

matt23

Fellaini just manged to complete 90 minutes without doing anything useful and should have been sent off at least twice.

Gutted, thought arsenal defended well in the 2nd half but we just thew a trophy away.

LARulz

Van Gaal subs
Stupidity defensively
Stupidity through Di Maria and Januzaj

All cost us

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Man, so many BOOMs from Piers Morgan right now. That guy needs a bullet.

Murphy had it spot on. Too many subs killed the rhythm. We looked all over the place after an enjoyable first half.

chriswt

I wonder how much Michael Oliver took in bribes to decide to end his career so early?

Not sending off Bellerin was a huge joke, it was the clearest second yellow you'll ever see. Not to mention the numerous amount of 50/50s he gave in Arsenal's favor, refusing to book Coquelin, refusing to caution Ramsey a second time for throwing the ball away after a professional foul was called against him, booking 2 United players for "diving". Absolute fecking joke of a performance.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I thought we were the better team. Best we'd played in a while up until the hour mark. All in all a really entertaining game which I haven't been able to say too often this season.

Disappointed with the diving, but the players showed a lot of fight.

We have a lot of work to do this summer.

montpelier

Didn't like the pairing of Carrick & Blind

Terrible mistake Valencia

Too much diving

diarm

Great first half.

Van Gaal should step forward and take responsibility for an appalling decision at half time.
If Shaw and Herrera weren't injured, then he took the impetus and cohesion away from a very good 45 minute performance.

Di Maria and Januzaj were shameful. Embarrassing and not worthy of Manchester United.

Why was Welbeck not shown a yellow card for the very same thing?
How did Bellerin stay on the pitch?

Januzaj, Di Maria, Valencia and Oliver should all be taking long and enforced breaks after this evenings performance.

Ludens the Red

Poor subs.
Embarrassing defending.
Embarrassing diving cnuts.
This is what our defence does against quality attackers.
We've got four teams better than arsenal to face this season, it's gonna be painful to watch.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
My dead nan would have scored that.
He did well to round an on rushing De Gea. I doubt your dead nan has that such of spatial awareness and speed to reach that ball.

Nevertheless, we looked unbalanced and we should have done better. Like I mentioned 100 of times on here, Fellaini should be a plan B. We lacked team cohesion and our defense looks like they have played today just for the first time. Our last chance of a trophy gone.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm pissed off right now so this won't truely reflect what I feel as a whole, but feck right off Valencia. Both goals thanks to him. And Rafael is supposed to be the ticking bomb.

ForlansHair

I don't blame van Gaal for that.

The subs were obviously to control the game, which we were doing until Valencia's brainfart.

The team that finished the game was not a United. The amount of average players we have accumulated is unbelievable. Valencia, Jones, Smalling, Young, Fellaini, Januzaj. I mean come on, it's a minor miracle we are where in the league when you see the state of our squad.

Outremangeur

The diving, the hoofing it to Fellaini, the comical stopping of the ball, the stupid substitutions... Atrocious!

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Thought that was an absolute disgrace personally.

Players diving, awful subs and tactics, ballooning the ball up to Fellaini with nothing else on show most of the time, big money players either not doing it or not even on the pitch, defensive shambles, needing De Gea once again to stop it from becoming an embarrassing scoreline.

It's getting worse

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Not only we need a RB, CB, CM we also need a new manager!!!

LVG is out of his depth, his substitutes in the second half can only be described as criminal and I'm not even gonna talk about tactics!

Will Singh

I'm pissed off with the ref, he was shit and overshadowed the game with his biased decisions, but I'm even more pissed off with Di Maria, where does he think he is RM? This is UTD son get your fecking ass in gear or FECK OFF!

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Just watched the second half, but if you gift another team a goal like that, you can't expect to win.

Roboc7

We just aren't a very good team and whatever team we send out we either look too lightweight or we end up being one dimensional by trying to compensate.

Di Maria was a known diver in Spain and it's even more noticeable here, it's a huge blow he will be banned for a few games, even at his worst he at least injects some pace and dribbling ability, big blow to top four hopes.

Arsenal weren't great but we were worse, they have so much more pace and are so much more dynamic than us though.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Arsenal were the better team then us!

My god I didn't realise how bad we are, I sort of knew it against Newcastle but the last minute goal perhaps clouded my judgement. Today has just confirmed it. We are bang on average, no heart or desire from the players.

Arsenal simply wanted it a lot more then us. Expect us to finish 7th, Liverpool, Chelsea and City will beat us comfortably.

vibe

Good first half, stupid substitutions and puff, everything goes down the drain. I've had enough now. And do we have the thickest set of players in the PL, what was Di Maria thinking? You have just taken a dive [like always], rightly gets called out for it with a yellow and you've hit the referee from the back? Lost for words!
Stupid post if I've ever seen one.

We played well. Yes, very stupid from Di Maria to get himself sent off. A well deserved 3 match ban and he won't be doing that again any time soon. But not only could have that decision gone either way (he went down VERY easy, but there was a tug of his arm), but the match was officiated with massive double standards. Welbeck didn't get a yellow for diving first half, but both Di Maria and Januzaj did. I won't even mention the mandatory second yellow for Bellerin.

No excuses for Di Maria. You're a professional and you should not be losing it at a time like that.

But we could have easily gotten a draw, more even had that match been officiated objectively.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Well at least it was exciting.

Seriously though, the first half was good from us. Second half not quite so much considering the two big incidents but at least we still kept trying to go forward at every opportunity despite being down to 10 men. Isn't that what most of us wanted? I enjoyed watching us play tonight even with the way it all just crumbled.

And continuing with the positives, thank god Carrick is back.

Gannicus

Losing always hurts, but this is a completely irrelevant competition in the modern English game, except for clubs going for the glory of a double or treble or small clubs making their name in an FA Cup final.

The focus has to be on the league. A cup run any further would have only undermined that focus.

Revan

Assumptionman
I would prefer to make De Gea player-manager. He's the only one (probably Rooney too) who deserves to get paid. Van Gaal should donate his wage for charity considering how awful are his decisions (especially those within the game).

fallengt

So we lost FA .. I didn't care anyway.
Top 4 should be only priority this season. Next .

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 467 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal
  • 13% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal