FA L FA Cup Quarter-Final

Manchester United 1:2 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Mon, 09 March 2015

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Valencia ought to be shot, the diving was an embarrassment and Di Maria.... Half time subs were pathetic, I knew we'd lose this but christ we didn't half help them out. Not one player in that backline has brain it seems.

This leaves a very bitter aftertaste. The amount of times we've been committing suicide at the back is criminal. We played well enough in the first half, only to ruin it in the second. Some of our players should be ashamed at what they've done tonight. Too much fouling, too much diving, too little quality where we needed it.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Utter shite throughout.

We don't even look like a team.
Was completely even for most of the game. We were noticeably worse in the second half, but shit happens. You're going way over the top with that. Two mistakes cost us, and Di Maria being stupid (as well as a ref of absolute cnutish proportions).

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Decent first half by us, but half-time subs ruined it. LVG wanted to play it safe, which pretty much underlines his whole philosophy it seems. Fellaini gets another full game in which he does nothing by foul. Valencia had another abysmal game - surely it's time for Rafael soon?

Oliver was piss poor. Bellerin should've walked, but he bottled that decision. Then after giving Arsenal free kicks all over the pitch for practically nothing, he books Di Maria for diving after slight contact (quite similar situation to minutes earlier where Sanchez got a free kick on the edge of our box under minimal contact by Valencia). No arguments for the second yellow - stupid from Di Maria. Laughable that it's Friend giving a booking for it though considering what Hart got away with, but that's the consistency you get from refs. Still, no one to blame but ourselves for this result - didn't deserve anything from the game.

Robbie Boy

I'm starting to lose faith in LvG. People can say we played well in the first half etc, fact is, we never looked like winning. We were at home to a pretty average Arsenal side and still played with no attacking cohesion.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Anyone could have scored that goal. That was just a massive brain freeze by Valencia. That bad mistake and ADM's petulance cost us the game.
It wasn't anyone though was it? It was the player we sold to sign a player who represents probably the worst transfer outlay we've ever madez

Cristiano Jonaldo

Lawyer Here!
That should be the last game Valencia plays in defence for us.

Shaw was shocking

Di Maria was shocking

We should fine any player that pays a back pass to the goal keeper from now on. The stats say our players pass back to the goal keeper more than any other team in the league. Farce.

Utterly pissed off with watching us play these days.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
We didn't lose that game because of our performance, we lost it down to idiocy.

Idiocy from Di Maria, LVG, Valencia and most of all Oliver.

ScarleyUtd

Defence again really.

Di Maria at fault for the first Arsenal goal, and responsible for the second. On balance though it looks his head isn't right.

Arsenal were nothing special at all. We just imploded.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Arsenal were the better team then us!

My god I didn't realise how bad we are, I sort of knew it against Newcastle but the last minute goal perhaps clouded my judgement. Today has just confirmed it. We are bang on average, no heart or desire from the players.

Arsenal simply wanted it a lot more then us. Expect us to finish 7th, Liverpool, Chelsea and City will beat us comfortably.
feck off with this bullshit. You've been saying United are the worlds worst team and demanding VG be sacked since August.
It's pretty much what you do on this forum.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Di Maria will get the headlines, and did basically end our chances, but we were already behind and playing significantly worse after the restart. The subs didn't work at all, and seemed incredibly conservative for a home cup tie we were at best shading, and at worse holding our own in.

Hopefully this spurs on some determined league form, but Louis is going to have to be much more adventurous. His aversion to risk taking seems to be making things much harder for us, which is surely counter productive?

Irrational.

Bitterly, bitterly disappointed with that. We probably won't have a better chance to win the FA Cup. It pains me to say that one of Liverpool or Arsenal will win it, I just hope it's not Liverpool.

There are some positives though. We played some good stuff at times, and the passing was quicker. ADM other than his stupid, stupid sending off played well. The difference was that stupid backpass from Valencia and Michael Oliver being a generalised thundercnut. Maybe that'll teach us not to play the backpass to DDG so often. Smalling also missed a sitter.

If Januzaj and ADM were booked for diving, so should Welbeck. Having said that he worked very hard today and deserved the goal. I have no qualms about his celebration either.

How Bellerin wasn't sent off as well I have no idea.

Ah well, let's get fourth. It was more important than the FA cup in all fairness.

Ringo 07

I expected Arsenal to beat us. Both Arsenal and Liverpool are 10% superior to us as teams all over the pitch and they both will finish in the top 4. David Moyes was our Graham Souness and may have done long term damage to this club.....The jury is still out on Van Gaal but he will improve us no end by next season but all of his signings for 150 million apart from Rojo are not good enough and that is frightening

Moriarty

Losing always hurts, but this is a completely irrelevant competition in the modern English game, except for clubs going for the glory of a double or treble or small clubs making their name in an FA Cup final.

The focus has to be on the league. A cup run any further would have only undermined that focus.
Give this man a job with Ed Milliband's election campaign team ;)

I'd love to see us win the cup again. Been far too long since we lifted that pot.

Ibi Dreams

I've never liked Valencia as a right back, and haven't liked him as a winger for about three years. Terrible mistake from him.

Kag

That's on the players. Herrera should never have been taken off but there isn't much our manager can do about Valencia and Di Maria's utter stupidity.

Blaming Oliver is a waste of time, he got practically everything spot on.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Arsenal were shit. Thought we were actually decent. One bad backpass cost us the game, simple as that.

Oliver has double standards.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Fellaini just manged to complete 90 minutes without doing anything useful and should have been sent off at least twice.
He put a great ball through to Di Maria twice, one of which Di Maria should have scored from. Decent lay off for Young which was just a touch ahead of him, otherwise it's a shot on target and quite possibly a goal. Had a decent effort on target. He was far from great, but saying he didn't do anything useful is false.

Winrar

Arsenal play Reading/Bradford away feck them
Can't believe we have to rely on Arsenal to spoil it for Liverpool.

And if Arsenal does go on to win it then they overtake us for record FA cup winner. Lose-lose situation.

tippex

I really cannot fathom the half time substitutions. Lvg has cost the game with those decisions.
Valencia ridiculous backpass.
Dimaria deserved to go.
Blind is far too slow in the centre getting around the pitch.
Januzaj I just don't get at all, does not deserve to be wearing the jersey of giggs I know he is young but he is not fit to lace his boots.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Firstly, it has to be said, Arsenal have much better players than we do. Their technical ability and pace all around that team is a one or maybe two levels higher. Can’t think of any manager doing much better with those players.

Secondly, first half was quite good from us. Second half was pretty bad- and it all started from substitutions. I can understand the need for Carrick in midfield, however I don’t know why doesn’t van Gaal move Herrera in AM role and let us play some football, instead of lumping it to Fellaini. Our game broke down and it’s on van Gaal.

Valencia and Di Maria are utter idiots. It’s getting tougher with each passing week for Angel and I can totally see him go in the summer, I imagine van Gaal is seriously pissed at him right now. One thing for certain, we can’t rely on him.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Arsenal were shit. Thought we were actually decent. One bad backpass cost us the game, simple as that.

Oliver has double standards.

That's what get me. Di Maria was stupid, but where's the consistency? Terrible ref, got the Januzaj thing spot on (was embarrassing from Adnan) but got nearly everything else wrong.

Chicharo

Valencia playing on the right side instead of Rafael, substitutions, the fact that he was just sitting on the bench doing nothing - that's our LVG...

Jagga7

Massively disappointing. A real chance to win ths FA cup this year and we were very poor in the 2nd half.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Anyone who thinks that Louis Van Gaal is going to bring the glory days back at United needs to get their head checked. You can have millions of threads detailing his nonsense philosophy, but you only need to see his team in action to realize that he is a complete moron.

For once, we play a good first half of football, what does that the manager do? Leaves our worst players of the half Blind, Young and Fellaini in the game, while takes our best midfielder out. Is he the same guy who doesn't care for reputations and scorns at favoritism?

Makes half time subs that takes the impetus from our midfield and hands it over to the opposition....at our Home...our fortress. Unbelievable stuff.

To compound the issue, his stupidity is then matched by our 60m toy who not only dives but then goes on to lay his hand on a ref who clearly was on a power trip.

What the feck is the point of Fellaini? Our only mode of attack in the second half was a nonsense "Find Fellaini" contest. He chested the ball, none of our players were near him to win the second ball, Arsenal players cleared the ball. Rinse and Repeat.

Did anyone see anything when he took his pants off at Bayern? I doubt it, because here he looks like a neutered dog who only knows how to bark.

Louis Van Moron.

Bye bye cup. And coming shortly, Bye Bye Top 4.

Last edited:

Manchie

Can't believe we have to rely on Arsenal to spoil it for Liverpool.

And if Arsenal does go on to win it then they overtake us for record FA cup winner. Lose-lose situation.
It does't get worse than this

Theonas

Scout
We played in the first half and obviously tried to be less open in the second half. The game was decided on an individual mistake like a lot of these games between top clubs. The margins were very tight and Oliver despite not making any huge mistake, definitely helped Arsenal. If he ignored Bellerin's second yellow, he could have easily done the same with us. In the context of this season and because we haven't been playing too well, this defeat will no doubt be magnified and people will read too much into it but I really don't think there is too much in it.

cyberman

Hurts a bit not not really that bothered.
Took a defensive mistake for them to win, this game should show us there isn't much difference between the sides and quell any fears of being left behind in the race for 4th

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
3 individual errors in one game, someone out of position on the 1st, idiotic backpass on the 2nd, and then madness by Di Maria to get sent off the 3rd.

Cant believe how high they pushed up for the 2nd goal, they have the slowest CB in the universe playing for them and had the audactiy to stand up near the half way line,
it cost us the goal, they pressed high after that and Valencia obliged.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 467 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal
  • 13% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal