FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Arsenal 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 25 January 2019

ColvaleGoa

Didn't feel like we were going to lose. After the first 15 minutes, it felt like Deja Vu and like Fergie's United. We were devastating on the counter and felt we could have scored some more.

But the hate is still strong out there. Pundits ,etc. Are seething and waiting for us to fail....and oooh does it feel sweet to see them burn.

arthurka

Lads, it's Arsenal. They really are our bitches. Other than about 15 minutes in the 1st half we were cruising and clinical.
They won both Chelsea and Tottenham. Nothing bitchy about this. Great win give Ole the job.

Canagel

Who scored 3 goals at Emirates this season?
Not City
Not Chelsea
Not Tottenham
Not Liverpool

We deserve some credit.

ravi2

The United of old against the arsenal of old.

Result was never in doubt for me

Give him the job and go big in the summer

We're back baby
Agreed, if they back Ole this summer and we get a top CB and winger we can challenge on multiple fronts

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I messaged my sister at 6pm and said 3-1 to United. Sanchez Hattie. The hatrick didn’t come off but I don’t care. Love being able to watch United again.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd love to see our record against Arsenal in the last 10 years. Feels like we do them every season. They really are the new Spurs.

minoo-utd

That save from Romero, those runs from Pogba and Lingard, these counter attacks and yes this football we were dying to see a bit of, since Ole got it he turned everything absolutely around and we still not sure he is that kind of top manager or how he made things absolutely simple!!. The man always speak good in public about players about how he trust them all. And also he showed some few good tactics. So Ole for the job or still early to judge IDK but whatever happens I seriously waiting for the next game always since Ole got the job.

Dve

I´d like to go give credit to Young tonight. In my opinion, his best game under Solskjær.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Defence looked a lot more solid tonight, thought Shaw had one of his best games for United, Lindelöf and Bailly looked good together, Young did ok considering they were overloading our right hand side, Jones coming on just tightened that up quite a bit. Lukaku actually looked good coming in from the right, Sanchez once again, for me, didn't do a lot, but took his goal brilliantly, Lingard was just Lingard, looks great at certain times, poor at other times, but again (bit of Ole coaching perhaps) tucked his goal away brilliantly, may have blasted it once, but looked cool in finishing this one. Would still like to see us a bit more stable in midfield, 4-4-2 possible, with Fred in for Lingard, and Pogba further forward, but what do I know! Pogba not tracking back sometimes, but he is fantastic going forward, we got caught a couple of times just switching off. It's hard to think that this is exactly the squad that Jose had. Unbelievable.
Makes one wonder WTF he was doing

Revan

Assumptionman
Makes one wonder WTF he was doing
He was on full sabotage mode when he saw that Ed isn't giving him another 200m in order to pay another three veteran players.

The team should have challenged for the title with or without signings, but Mourinho decided to bitch and moan.

Irrational.

Jose tonight brings on Jones and Dalot when we're leading 2-1, going to a back six. We park the bus and probably end up conceding a last minute equaliser or going through by the skin of our teeth.

Ole brought on Rashford and Martial, we put the tie to bed and end the game comfortably.

That's the difference between a United manager and Jose.

Raw

I'd love to see our record against Arsenal in the last 10 years. Feels like we do them every season. They really are the new Spurs.
Since January 2009:

United 1-0 Arsenal (CL)
Arsenal 1-3 United (CL)

United 0-0 Arsenal (PL)
United 2-1 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 1-3 United (PL)
United 1-0 Arsenal (PL)
United 2-0 Arsenal (FA)

Arsenal 1-0 United (PL)
United 8-2 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 1-2 United (PL)
United 2-1 Arsenal (PL)

Arsenal 1-1 United (PL)
United 1-0 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 0-0 United (PL)
Arsenal 1-2 United (PL)
United 1-2 Arsenal (FA)
United 1-1 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 3-0 United (PL)
United 3-2 Arsenal (PL)
United 1-1 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 2-0 United (PL)
Arsenal 1-3 United (PL)
United 2-1 Arsenal (PL)

United 2-2 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 1-3 United (FA)

15 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses.
44 goals scored, 21 goals conceded.

freddie the red

Aside from the win and three classic United goals, what I really loved was Ole's attitude in putting on Anthony and Marcus, two attacking subs, when already winning.
He speaks well of his players, talks genuinely about it being "we" as he's red through and through and he's getting the tactics right....what's not to like?

Reactions: SteveJ

Nogbadthebad

Great performance from the whole team.

Only disappointment was the cameras missing Lingard's moonwalk.

Although seeing his feet go at the top of the screen as Lukaku is giving it the 'I can't hear you' made me laugh.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
We came, we saw, we conquered. That was a United trip to Arsenal of days gone by as we executed a perfect counter-attacking game plan to win our way into the next round.

It was an end-to-end game at times and there could have been a lot more goals, but we ran out deserved winners. We defended better than they did (although unconvincing at times) and going forward we were a class above. The entire frontline played brilliantly, with Pogba and Lukaku not on the scoresheet but putting in top performances.

That's EIGHT wins on the bounce for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. When was the last time we did that? The Fergie days I'm sure. It really is hard to believe the transformation we've undergone since Ole came in. What a turn around!

Roll on the 5th Round. Our season's cup run has well and truly started...

Match Stats

Possession
Arsenal 63%
Man Utd 37%

Shots
Arsenal 13
Man Utd 8

Shots on Target
Arsenal 5
Man Utd 4

Corners
Arsenal 5
Man Utd 3

Fouls
Arsenal 12
Man Utd 9

Arsenal 0:1 Man Utd - Sanchez (31')

Arsenal 0:2 Man Utd - Lingard (33')

Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd - Aubameyang (43')

Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd - Martial (82')
Those stats tell a different story and the 3rd goal killed them.We defo rode our luck a bit.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I know the Arsenal fans are claiming that they were the better side, but, I'm not accepting that simply having more possession is in itself a meritorious thing. Having lots of possession and looking direct and dangerous is one thing, but having lots of the ball and creating very little in terms of clear opportunities with it, is not the hallmark of superiority.

We could have done some things better. We looked sloppy at times and a little sluggish with second balls and loose ball challenges, but on the whole we were more clinical and arguably created better definitive chances to score more goals.

Arsenal can keep their majority possession-padding stats moral victory.
I'm not sure many Arsenal fans are saying that to be fair

tony54

I really enjoyed the match and admit that Pogba is now pulling his weight, after my critism before, and showing great athleticism under Oli although him and Martial were caught out again, showboating.
Shaw was good at going forward but thought he was out of position, as well as Young a few times. They concentrated their attack on our right hand side against our weaker link Young, I dont know if any other team would have faired much better against their strong players on their left.
It was a great team effort but although Lukaku made two goals I dont think he contributed much else. At least he is looking slimmer but doesn't cover much ground which is an essential in todays game.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Very enjoyable not to be turtle-heading all through the second half during a big game.

That was very comfortable and a joy to watch.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
One of the things I like about our semi-regular 3-1 away wins at Arsenal, is that we always do it in really nice kits. Which just makes watching it back all the more aesthetically enjoyable.

Bola

8 wins out of 8... but we haven’t played anyone decent yet they will tell you.
We won't get credit until we beat the following:

- The Hurricanes,
- Pep's Barcelona
- The German Army team with the dodgy ref from Escape to Victory
- A 'Mortal Kombat' style round where we have to beat an identical team of ourselves, but with a slightly different coloured kit
- The PNE invicibles team from 1888-89
- A cheat team from Premier Manager (Amiga Game) where all the players have been set to max stats

But Brucy and Ince could probably oversee all those victories by just hanging around the dressing room

Mick321

Excellent win and gave a few players a rest, lovely stuff. Hopefully Palace knock Spurs out and then there's not many good sides left.

Manchie

Brilliant from start to finish, aren't you guys tired of winning already?

izec

Shout out to Lee Grant celebrating euphorically on the bench, he usually isnt in the matchday squad and he still is part of the team and liked by everyone.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Since January 2009:

United 1-0 Arsenal (CL)
Arsenal 1-3 United (CL)

United 0-0 Arsenal (PL)
United 2-1 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 1-3 United (PL)
United 1-0 Arsenal (PL)
United 2-0 Arsenal (FA)

Arsenal 1-0 United (PL)
United 8-2 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 1-2 United (PL)
United 2-1 Arsenal (PL)

Arsenal 1-1 United (PL)
United 1-0 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 0-0 United (PL)
Arsenal 1-2 United (PL)
United 1-2 Arsenal (FA)
United 1-1 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 3-0 United (PL)
United 3-2 Arsenal (PL)
United 1-1 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 2-0 United (PL)
Arsenal 1-3 United (PL)
United 2-1 Arsenal (PL)

United 2-2 Arsenal (PL)
Arsenal 1-3 United (FA)

15 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses.
44 goals scored, 21 goals conceded.
Thanks for that. That's pretty amazing tbh.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Great night. United through and Norway in the final against Denmark (handball)

Moriarty

Starting to think Ole may be the real deal.
Me too. I put the first couple of wins down to the feel-good factor and inferior opposition, but watching closely, he is getting his tactics right throughout the game and knows how to make adjustments when they're needed and without waiting until late in the game. I really hope this works out.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A game plan executed perfectly by the players. Never felt nervous at any time in the game. Defending leads to win as a tactic was a nightmare.

Coaches and players deserve great credit.

MrBest

So glad to be watching the traditional counter attacking footballnour club is based on. Im not a huge fan of possession based football. 8 out of 8, Ole make it 15 out of 15 and the job is yours.

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 494 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd