CL W Champions League Group A

Benfica 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 October 2017

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Some of our fans have become so used to moaning, unless we are beating teams 5-0, they won't stop.
I remember when we were scoring 4 goals per game, some people were moaning.
We win 1-0 and yet again, moaning.
Unbeaten all season, moan some more.

I do wonder that if these fans are so negative and miserable, almost everytime we play, why do they even watch football?
Agree. People moan non stop, repeating the same thing again and again.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
"Other managers cry and cry and cry, I don't cry. The way to do it is ignore the players who are injured, give confidence to the players are available, I can cry for the next five minutes. Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Fellaini, Marcos Rojo, I can cry but I don't.
"So we do it with what we have. We went to Liverpool with two midfield players and nothing else. We brought the kid today like Benfica does, I have no other solution, I brought Scott McTominay, who is the same age as the Benfica kids."

McTominay was subbed in at 91', what a funny hypocrite! And you all know he never cries…

edgar allan

Some of our fans have become so used to moaning, unless we are beating teams 5-0, they won't stop.

I do wonder that if these fans are so negative and miserable, almost everytime we play, why do they even watch football?
Imagine those fans hoping for a bit of entertaining football!

Yagami

Good post resistant

I watch United because I support them. I don't think we play good stuff for the most part but I support us. I don't see anything wrong with constructive criticism instead of saying everything is fine as long as we win.

I watch others teams for entertainment as I love the sport itself.

Fitchett

Whist the football hasn't been great to watch the last two games, I like the way that we are pacing ourselves through a busy fixture list. We've also got quite a few players out injured, which restricts opportunities for squad rotation. So, well done to Jose, his staff and the players. A football season is a marathon, not a sprint. We'll have a better chance of still contesting trophies at the end of the season, by doing this and not blowing up like Liverpool did last year and Arsenal do every year.

HoopsMcCann

Myki is really struggling. Herrera is better than he's been showing.

Good teams win/draw games when playing like trash. I'm optimistically calling this the team's rough patch and expect to roll again when Pogba returns.

We really miss Pogba.

automaticflare

we are missing the one player who can consistently transition us on the counter.
Too many tmes play breaks down. miki has been terrible and herrera has struggled a little since coming in. more than i expected too.
We desperately needed greizman to play in the miki position this summer to give us a consistent transition other than pogba.

Eddy_JukeZ

Our general overall play has been slipping lately.

We need Pogba back ASAP.

Good result at least.

wolvored

We are missing the dynamism from midfield that Pogba was giving thats for sure. We played a comfortable game without really looking like scoring until the fluke/mistake whichever way you want to look at it. Lukaku isnt getting any proper service from the players around him. We took a couple of corners and 3 passes it was back with De Gea. Pity we couldnt do it the other way around. Benfica were poor, and ripe for the taking.

GwilDor

I do have the same sentiment as others on here. We're doing what we can with what we got atm. At least i have a feeling that is what Mou is thinking.

Yes, we do have a few injuries atm, but imo, todays starting lineup should have done better against this Benfica team. Look at their previous CL-results this season. I have a feeling Mou instructs the players to make this defensive approach. And honestly it makes us look worse than we are. And i also have a feeling it is detrimental to the players self esteem. Mkhi has looked worse by the minute since Pogbas injury, and must be close to losing his place in the starting line up imo. Mata has consistantly looked better than him lately, though in a different position. We are taking 0 chances, and that is putting us under pressure for longer periods than we should. Imo it would be less risky to take the chance on the counter attack a bit more often. That way the opposition would have to compensate and adjust a bit.

But who am i to judge, we did end up with 3 points after all...

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Dont get the reaction. We won and we are one step closer to advancing. Another tough away game dealt with ease. Can only bode well for the latter stages.
We didn't win 9-0 with our players doing stuff like you see in the adverts for FIFA 2018. E.g. helicopter kick goals and back heel nutmegs followed by scorpion kick goals.

Ideally the goals will be equally spread out across the 90 minutes otherwise a flurry of late or early goals will be devalued as being down to the opposition giving up or not turning up at all.

MrBest

I'm confused,Jose said in his post match that Liverpool were brilliant defensive and implied that they parked the bus... wasn't that us?

On the game, wins a win. Importantly thing is getting to 13 points so we win the group as fast as possible. We are 70% there songreat stuff. We lacked any drive though and looked tired and dull. We really miss pogba AND fellani. Never did I think i would say i miss fellaini! He was great when pogba was out!

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Honestly didn't have much fun watching the game, we're winning these types of matches now under Mourinho though, while the last few years we've bottled them so, yeah, can't complain with the win.

RedPnutz

We won which is more than I expected, but we were dire again. We're not going to win anything this season If we keep playing the way we are.
So did you expect us to play beautiful and lose?

izec

Good result with doing the minimum. I dont know why, but we look worse than what we are capable of. We really played in second gear the whole game, and while it looked easy, we couldnt up the tempo if we wanted it, but we have it in us. Pogba alone cant explain that

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Didn't play that well, but came away with a solid away win.

Mkhitaryan is really in a rut at the moment, wasn't doing anything right the whole game, looked off the pace, misplaced passes, very poor finishing. Think he should be rested for a game or two, give him time to recuperate and come back stronger.

Matic was solid and Martial looked great for the brief time he was on.

My only concern are the injuries. No idea when Pogba will be back, we sorely miss him to control that midfield.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I watch United because I support them. I don't think we play good stuff for the most part but I support us. I don't see anything wrong with constructive criticism instead of saying everything is fine as long as we win.

I watch others teams for entertainment as I love the sport itself.
Me neither but there's not much constructive criticism being posted.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Minimum effort in getting a result, great tactical display, we simply went out there with one single intention only - to bore everyone to death with successful execution.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Good result with doing the minimum. I dont know why, but we look worse than what we are capable of. We really played in second gear the whole game, and while it looked easy, we couldnt up the tempo if we wanted it, but we have it in us. Pogba alone cant explain that
Why risk further injuries? Play without expending too much energy and effort but get the result seems to be the plan at this moment. Once we have more key players back then go through the gears as we seemed to be doing earlier this season.

meamth

There were dull game like this during SAF era. Couldn't be bothered. 3 points yay move on.

Foxbatt

I am happy with the result but when you look at the competition I think we are a level or a few levels behind them. Forget about Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern. I think we will struggle with other teams left out of the group stages too. Lukaku's lack of first touch and lack of ball control is making matters worse when the midfield players are not able to do anything. If only Morrison has got his head screwed the right way we would not be struggling. I saw his talent and what a player he is and hope that he can get his act sorted out in Mexico and come back to United like Pogba did.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The most interesting aspect was the debate I had in the match day thread over whether or not goal-line technology played a part in determining in the keeper had fallen backwards into the net.

Get In Scholesy

Would have liked us to test the keeper much more. Took us 64 mins to score on an 18 year old, albeit with a strange goal you’d see in a amateur game.

3 points and off to the weekend.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Only seen the highlights. Good result in the end, which has nearly seen us through the group stages already. Weird goal to get the win. When it was first struck I thought he had done something magical, only to see the keeper make a stupid mistake.

zenith

Fantastic result, we are basically through to the next round. If we win or next two games in the CL, hopefully we can rest players for the remaining match days. Given the number of injuries we have, I can't be bothered about the style of play at this point, we saw a glimpse of that and I'm sure we'll see in the future as well.

Hope rashford is alright, we really need him for the upcoming games

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
"Other managers cry and cry and cry, I don't cry. The way to do it is ignore the players who are injured, give confidence to the players are available, I can cry for the next five minutes. Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Fellaini, Marcos Rojo, I can cry but I don't.
"So we do it with what we have. We went to Liverpool with two midfield players and nothing else. We brought the kid today like Benfica does, I have no other solution, I brought Scott McTominay, who is the same age as the Benfica kids."

McTominay was subbed in at 91', what a funny hypocrite! And you all know he never cries…
:lol: Jose is so weird sometimes. He cries as much as anyone. And Mctominay was a token/time wasting sub.

Zimkid

There is only one thing to say ... "We won" ... Simple! I can't complain

GM K

Myki is really struggling. Herrera is better than he's been showing.

Good teams win/draw games when playing like trash. I'm optimistically calling this the team's rough patch and expect to roll again when Pogba returns.

We really miss Pogba.
This.

GM K

Are people underestimating the impact of having Pogba, Fellaini and Carrick injured in the midfield while Miki and Herrera are off form and Mata is just average?

That's like losing 5 key players in the midfield.

Surely, this will negatively affect the whole team and the overall quality of play.

Moiraine

I am disappointed to be honest. I hope Mourinho goes to PSG next year and we can get Pochettino ...

boxykronikle

Great result away from home and we are sealing the place for the next stage.

Hopefully Marcus will be OK. I would say the final 3rd is quite poor. Only Marcus and Lukaku trying to make something happen. No proper service especially from Mkhi. Mata looks better than him at the moment. Herrera looked rusty and could use more playing time to wake his playmaking passes.

Matic was the sole midfield that kept us alive and played some runs to free up the attackers. Was expecting that from Herrera actually.

Move on and next match please. And yeah, the hell with international breaks.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm confused,Jose said in his post match that Liverpool were brilliant defensive and implied that they parked the bus... wasn't that us?

You misunderstood him. Like he said post Anfield, He had wanted Liverpool to be lulled into getting more gungho and they never fell for it. Benfica are not that capable and were never going to hold out against us for 90 minutes.

buckooo1978

some very mixed performances this year - think the international break and that awful game at weekend I shan't mention have taken the wind out of our sails

hoping Rashford is a very minor injury

a couple of games with Martial isn't so bad though!

Red_Orchestra

We were Very poor. No movement at all, the team just stood around and ball watched all game long, and made loads of back passes. Not much runs on or off the ball.

If we were playing a better team than this dire Benfica squad, we would've got Rekt.

Ashley R1+O

Happy for the points, dire game though. Can understand without a proper right sided tandem to balance the team.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 392 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Benfica win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Benfica 0:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Benfica 0:3 Man Utd