PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Bournemouth

Post-match discussion

Tue, 03 January 2023

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Mad to think if we beat City & Arsenal - our next two games - we'll be right up there for a title charge.

redom

Seems pretty standard that the game opens up when you are up by two. Not much else they can do when they need to score twice…
I mean sure you might expect them to have one last go, although you see plenty of teams give up once the game hits 2-0, especially away from home at one of the bigger clubs, but more than that it was our response to it where instead of leaning into possession and controlling the game we just went with it and allowed a lot of back and forth that could've lead to them getting back into the game. Thankfully we grabbed the third and it did lead to an entertaining period of the match.

RU Devil

Love how the team kept attacking even after 3-0. Previous vintages would have passed it around at the back, wasting time and hoping to avoid giving up a goal. This team kept going. It's a great sign. Plus the smiles while playing is a great Indicator

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Routine home wins against Championship level sides - remember those?

Casemiro was my MOTM, just ahead of Shaw who also continues to impress under EtH.

Maguire reminded us why he's not the first choice anymore.

Bruno needs to start showing that X factor again soon. Had another underwhelming game tonight.

EDIT: forgot to mention VdB who again, was too eager to impress, flying into challenges which possibly antagonised some Bournemouth players and resulted in him getting hurt.

James35

Should have scored 6 or 7 tonight but despite the chuckle brothers at the back and some sloppy play at times we still won easily.

It’s crazy how we conceded 10 goals in just 2 games but only 10 goals in the other 15 league games. If we had a 25 goal a season striker and were not so wasteful all round, we could really do something this season.

With some quality signings this summer I will go into next season the most confident I have been in years with regards to finally winning something.

Lights Out

Strange performance.

Largely comfortable and in control but they, worryingly, created a lot of chances in the second half.

Maguire was laughably bad and Lindelof wasn’t much better.

On the plus side Casemiro was fantastic again. Who on Earth told us he couldn’t pass?!

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Shaw and Casemiro were first class. Rashford had a good game. Martial should have scored. De Gea was great when called on. Nice three points and could have scored more. Good evening’s work. Now for Everton……

Valencia Shin Crosses

Thought it was telling how boring we were when Bournemouth still had the energy to press high, as our backline was atrocious at building up play aside from giving it to Shaw and hoping he’d work magic. Caused our forwards to not see a ton of the ball and Bruno was pretty bad as well until the Donny injury.

After that we looked more comfortable as Bournemouth got leggy and we could have score 5+. Still think Maguire+ Lindelof is a trainwreck but you have such a good bailout option in Casemiro that it doesn’t matter against poor attacking sides. Hopefully Martial is fine, he should have scored a header but thought he was his usual neat self and probably would have scored if he was on for that final 10 min where we just battered them.

Strelok

Yeah, he worked very hard. And we shouldn’t take that for granted. Everything else he did was very poor though.
We'd see what he's been giving only when he doesn't play. And imo not everything he did was poor. Probably 50%.

siw2007

Good win tonight, at times we made it hard for ourselves, in the first half it felt like we were trying to do the bare minimum. Bournemouth caught us out on numerous occasions in the 2nd half as we were too slow to get back into our positions in transition and we were lucky/ needed De Gea to keep the clean sheet. Having said that, there was some good football at times, Rashford was superb again.

Spark

Ten bit deserves a solid striker, but my god I feel like we're on the cusp of opening the floodgates each game at the moment. Our all round play looks significantly improved.

However, one little thing to add is that even at 2-0 up Bournemouth were able to have flashes where if they weren't total dogshit they could have definitely snatched a goal and made it a far more nervy final 10 mins. We've got Arsenal and City coming up and keen to see us be far more controlling of those games than in previous fixtures.

Don't even want to think what our position looks like if we were to win both. Tempting fate and all that bollocks.

SirScholes

We’re playing even better football than fergies final couple seasons
Main difference being we don’t have a RVP in the form of his life
Hope the boys are looking up the table, that’s the incentive they have earned to play for

Rauður Djöfull

missed first half but second half was fun, also happy I just brought in Shaw in fantasy

Nice to see Garnacho with assist as well

criticalanalysis

He's repeatedly been very clear and aware of our frailties post game (even when we've got the result), even when it's easy to gloss over and give compliments. Love it.

Tonight's game was weird, we were 'comfortable' but they had quite a few attempts at our goal and had multiple chances to play better balls as we were open in transition. Great result but like the game, it was against really poor opposition.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Bournemouth have conceded an average of 2.2 goals in each game this season. Without that late third we would have been below that average. At home. Which says it all about how poor we were overall. I also don’t remember their keeper making any good saves. Glad we won but that was not a good performance.

GregM40

Just back from the game. Surprising first XI but was comfortable. Thought Maguire was slow and sloppy on the ball (how did he manage to knock it out for that corner) but what’s new. Shaw MOTM for me, Casemiro classy as always. 4 in 4 for Rashford for first time in his career and wasn’t surprising at all, man in form. Bring on Everton in the cup.

wangyu

Not a weak link today, everybody had a good to great game. Martial was slightly unlucky with his header wide. Bruno Fernandes played a fantastic 2nd half after a poor first. I ditched out several 8s for the first time this season. Lowest nr was 6 for Martial and Donny.
Fred also came on with poise and quality.
What I liked most that we played to score goals till the very end! Top quality entertainment.

I don’t care what Ten Hag said I enjoyed this so much.

delerium

Shaw MOTM easily.

Maguire - Lindelöf pairing is sooo slow to recycle the ball. It feels like the game slows down massively and everything becomes static. They did OK though, but it was a bit frustrating to watch at times.

Bruno tries his 100% and above but it's not really clicking him the way he'd like. He still does the right things on the pitch most of the time, and good assist for the Rashford goal in the end. He was noticeably frustrated almost all game. He needs a rest but he's not easy to replace.

Great to have Dalot back, AWB did OK in the rear but Dalot brings us much more offensively.

Fine saves from Dave again.

Martial blows hot and cold, but we need a proper number 9 in the January window.

Garnacho is still very raw but exciting to watch. Good performance from him and good assist for the Shaw goal.

Casemiro is worth his transfer fee, easily. Pogba who?

All in all, 3 points, still lots of things to improve but it's not all doom and gloom.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 61% of 318 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 297 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw