PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 04 May 2018

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fair enough I would say, but then again, did he say to United, hey before you pay me these massive wages you have to know I havent had a pre-season here and moving from Arsenal is going to interrupt me a bit more, a couple of injuries as well, so lets hold on here.

No, of course not. If the player can command the kind of wages he did, the least the club as whole can command is some kind of effort to justify them.
I’m delighted Sanchez is going to be at Ot next season he’s a few levels above what we had in Martial (great talent but I get frustrated at him wanting the ball always on a standing start) try make a few runs off the ball. I question his game intelligence compared to Sane who has a bit of both. Martial is reminding me more and of Valencia (different skill set granted) but a reactive player rather than a proactive player. I remember Berba used to get annoyed at Valencia for not running into space but instead waiting on ball to be delivered at his feet every time. Valencia was brilliant don’t get me wrong (my favourite player for a while for numerous reasons) but like Martial would have been a worldy if he had movement of the ball. Some players just don’t see the pictures before they happen though but have great attributes and Martial is reminding me more and more of this type of player. Could be a worldy if in the right formation and team and could be used to devastating effect so fingers crossed but these above are my worry. Plus thinking a little more our left attacker will benefit immensely from an over lapping full back next season also.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
So Huddersfield was end of season, WBA was end of season, Newcastle was end of season? The constant draws over Christmas against teams they should go out and thrash if they worked hard from the start. No it is a serious mentality problem.
Yeah, with the lesser players in the squad.

We don't have a mentality problem, as shown by the fact we have the second best record against the top 6 and have beaten every team in the league and will likely finish second, highest position since 12/13. Also in the Cup final. The anomaly of the season was Sevilla. What we have is a consistency problem (both in selection, Jose's reactionary traits and in style of play), but the core of the team and the team itself is in very good shape assuming most integral players stay and 2-4 arrive in the summer.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

We don't have a mentality problem, as shown by the fact we have the second best record against the top 6 and have beaten every team in the league and will likely finish second, highest position since 12/13. Also in the Cup final. The anomaly of the season was Sevilla. What we have is a consistency problem, but the core of the team and the team itself is in very good shape assuming most integral players stay and 2-4 arrive in the summer.
You don't win league titles by just beating the top 6, you have to turn up every game, Jose is insinuating that they are not mentally right. He needs to ship some of these lesser players out then and replace both fullbacks, we need fullbacks who can play most games in the league and CL, Valencia can't and Young can't either. They are now backups.

09:05
Mourinho explains his team talk
Speaking to Sky after the game the United boss explained what he told his players before and during the game:

My players if you ask them they will tell you I told you before the match what was going to happen and at half time what was going to happen. I knew it and I told them. But that’s what we got.

Of course a positive reaction in the last 20 minutes, obviously no one likes to lose and when you feel like you are losing the game you always try and win. In the end they defended more.

What happened in the last 15/20 minutes we could have scored a goal and got a point. But overall attitude from the first minute and especially during the first half they were obviously stronger than us and had more appetite. Different emotions, I didn’t succeed in persuading my players that the four points we need to finish second doesn’t look like a very important thing for my players, for me it is but for some of my players it doesn’t look important. Obviously for Brighton the point would be enough for them and means a lot for them and meant a lot for them to give everything they have.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
You don't win league titles by just beating the top 6, you have to turn up every game, Jose is insinuating that they are not mentally right.
Yeah, he's using it as a chance to get rid of players he doesn't want and signal to the board that he needs heavy backing. That's how I read it.

DomesticTadpole

Yeah, he's using it as a chance to get rid of players he doesn't want and signal to the board that he needs heavy backing. That's how I read it.
You answered my post and I have now edited it, but I am basically agreeing with this point.:lol: There are too many shrinking violets. He likes his warriors and we need at least 18 of them.

Red00012

Im not sure he needs to go looking for another 200 mill this summer but he does need to get rid of a few players and replace them Darmian and blind will be sold , you might get £20 mill for them and replace them with Umtiti if the rumours are true. You have TFM coming back as well , I’m not so sure what’s going to happen with the LB position I’d like Shaw to get a run of pre season games. Midfield carrick will need to be replaced and fellaini is 50/50 whether he stays or goes, I’d give pogba one more season to prove himself and the other position we need is a right winger. As much as I like mata he doesn’t give us enough down that flank .

DomesticTadpole

Im not sure he needs to go looking for another 200 mill this summer but he does need to get rid of a few players and replace them Darmian and blind will be sold , you might get £20 mill for them and replace them with Umtiti if the rumours are true. You have TFM coming back as well , I’m not so sure what’s going to happen with the LB position I’d like Shaw to get a run of pre season games. Midfield carrick will need to be replaced and fellaini is 50/50 whether he stays or goes, I’d give pogba one more season to prove himself and the other position we need is a right winger. As much as I like mata he doesn’t give us enough down that flank .
Both the fullbacks need replacing, they don't offer anywhere near enough for a club this size. Two midfielders and a backup striker. It depends what he does with the RB position, if he gets an attacking one we might not need a RB, if a defensive one then we will. I would just love us to go all out attack and just bulldoze teams. Problem is that Jose might just be a leopard who refuses to change his spots.

Openshaw53

Why not start the way they finished the Arsenal game with Fellaini up front?

Was all the ball behind the line ?

Bestietom

How can professional players for Manchester United get away with performances like this.

Get them Out, They are not fit to wear the Jersey. Fellaini, Darmian, Mata, Rashford, Martial, Could not even pass a ball 10 yards to our own players. Disgraceful for professional footballers.

I am sick of the way they stroll around the pitch and stopping when they lose the ball. Cannot wait for this season to be over and see what the manager does this summer. We need players for the team and the squad, and get all the deadwood out.

Gawd, we have better youngsters that should at least make the squad. No More excuses they have got their chances. Out with them..

minoo-utd

Both manager and players are to blame surely. What was Jose trying to produce?
What was these kids trying to do?
They simply do not care.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Martial, Shaw, Darmian are all gone this summer. Fellaini also likely to leave.

£100m-£120M easily from those three sales, Fellaini out of contract. Add 150m normal budget, 200m-250m easily to spend on new targets. A right winger, two fullbacks, and a midfielder (also a cheap striker if possible, a Chicharito type signing to give Rashford competition for Lukaku's spot and add depth up front). If Martial has a good World Cup (if even selected) his price could sky rocket with a bidding war. Happy to let him go if we get someone better in.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What a load of utter garbage. The issues last night exposed what the issues have been all season and that is

No leader on the pitch

We are crying out for a proper leader and captain on the field. Not based on the time at the club or any shite like that. If that was the case give it back to Bobby Charlton !!! It needs somebody who both Jose and the player's trust. Give Pogba a bollocking when he falls over and sits on his arse moaning at the ref. Calm the team down when we are under a bit of pressure. Tell Martial and Rashford to give the ball rather than overplay it. There is nobody in that squad who is the gel to bring it all together.

Central Midfield just not good enough

City proves the point you do not need the best defence to win the league but by christ, the best midfield will take you a long way. Last night there was no drive, creativity, dynamism, running beyond the ball. Maybe Jose is playing the game when he is saying he wants MF to stay at the club, i'm not convinced. Pogba is having a complete reversal in terms of form. At the start of the season he would have one bad game in four, now you are lucky if you get one good game in four. Granted his game is based on power and strength, for a big lad, he spends an awful lot of time on his arse when he overplays it.

Where do you go from here, throw the young lads in with two games to go?

Red00012

£100m-£120M easily from those three sales, Fellaini out of contract. Add 150m normal budget, 200m-250m easily to spend on new targets. A right winger, two fullbacks, and a midfielder (also a cheap striker if possible, a Chicharito type signing to give Rashford competition and add depth up front). If Martial has a good World Cup (if even selected) his price could sky rocket with a bidding war. Happy to let him go if we get someone better in.
Can’t see martial leaving myself, like pogba I’d give him one more season.Ship him if he doesn’t improve next season.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
First time I turned a game off at 70 minutes I think ever.

Supporting this club, maybe not recently as much, but you always felt you had a chance you know?

Now I really don't believe it.

Loony BoB

Everyone talking about how Rashford and Martial should have stepped up to the plate, and Mourinho going on about how they weren't good enough. Before we bought Sanchez, he wasn't saying that about them, was he? They were in form. They were in sync with each other. Nowadays they barely play 15 minutes with each other before this game. Do people really expect players to be at their best when they can't string two starts in a row, let alone three? The boys have proven themselves dozens of times in the past to be hard working (especially Rashford in that regard) and effective. Yet start for the first time in ages with a shitty midfield support (You could be excused for thinking Fellaini wasn't on the pitch, but it seemed Pogba himself wasn't aware of anything at all) and suddenly they're not good enough.

What knee-jerk rubbish and cruelty.

Siorac

It's the players. People are using this tired cliche of defensive football, but if you actually watch what is happening on the pitch, that's not the case. I don't see any players that look restricted by tactics. Our attackers go wherever they want, the wingbacks bomb forward. But they still can't perform. It's the players, and I think it's pretty damn obvious at this stage.
So what if we sign another half a dozen players and we're still shit? Do we just accept that United are only capable of signing poor players? Will more Pogbas and Sanchezes will be signed, only to perform as Pogba and Sanchez have done?

It looks like we're a graveyard for talent these days. Maybe we're just unlucky. Maybe all managers since Ferguson has had terrible transfer policy. Maybe Woodward or the lack of club structure is to blame. But expecting that signings will make everything right is deluded. Hell, plenty of people suggest that central midfield is one of our weaknesses - the two definite starters there are Mourinho signings!

tony54

Problem with me as well is he picks on certain players, now is that down to him not rating them at all or thinking they are actually better than they are showing, only Jose knows. Then he gives loads of credit to certain players constantly. Then others might have a great game and he ignores it by praising someone who was not anywhere near as influential. I cannot see how that is good for team harmony on the pitch.
It must be depressing for those players 'picked on' by Mourino which can never bode well for a team's mentality. Last night was proof of that and a lot more shit as well. One can watch better organised football teams in pub football up and down the country than what we had to endure last night. The black guy on the previous video summed up the problem perfectly.

Loony BoB

I agree with everyone saying picking on players is bad, and SAF always said it's up to the manager to take the heat for the team - he rarely did it, nor do most great managers. Mourinho is a weird exception to this and I don't know why.

I also agree that freedom means nothing without excellent coaching and tactics to adapt the freedom into. I mean, if all it takes these days to be a good coach is to tell players "go crazy, do whatever, you're free to play as you see fit" then feck me I could take Mourinho's paycheck in a heartbeat. Clearly there is some coaching and man-managing going on and clearly it's not up to the standard that they had in the past.

EDIT: You know, if Mourinho would stop picking on his players then perhaps people would actually like the fecker. :p

DomesticTadpole

It must be depressing for those players 'picked on' by Mourino which can never bode well for a team's mentality. Last night was proof of that and a lot more shit as well. One can watch better organised football teams in pub football up and down the country than what we had to endure last night. The black guy on the previous video summed up the problem perfectly.
If he criticised them, but said he thinks they are underperforming but he knows they are so much better, the old kick in the pants but an arm round the shoulder at the same time. He praising some to the heavens, Scott, Ashley. He can't seem to blend the two.

Also I think we are letting agents dictate our transfers, there does not seem to be any research into the strength of character of some of these players, just their marketability. At one time strength of character was one of the main things we would be looking for.

Bestofthebest

Another performance like that against WHU on Thursday and second place will be out of our hands. I really would not put any money at all on us getting a result at the London Stadium. What bothers me most is that it is highly possible we will spend lots of money in the transfer window and still end up being no better next season and maybe even worse. Personally I would not give Jose more than £50m at most to buy all the players he needs plus any he generates from sales. That way he would have to go into the bargain basement and show he he can spot a good player. Either way I am not holding my breath that next season will be any better either results wise or entertainment wise. Breaks my heart to see my club playing like they have over the last few seasons and only the fans appear to give a damn.

Bestietom

Hoofing the ball up for Fellaini is not the answer. We want proper Manchester United Players and play the game properly and with Passion.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Everyone talking about how Rashford and Martial should have stepped up to the plate, and Mourinho going on about how they weren't good enough. Before we bought Sanchez, he wasn't saying that about them, was he? They were in form. They were in sync with each other. Nowadays they barely play 15 minutes with each other before this game. Do people really expect players to be at their best when they can't string two starts in a row, let alone three? The boys have proven themselves dozens of times in the past to be hard working (especially Rashford in that regard) and effective. Yet start for the first time in ages with a shitty midfield support (You could be excused for thinking Fellaini wasn't on the pitch, but it seemed Pogba himself wasn't aware of anything at all) and suddenly they're not good enough.

What knee-jerk rubbish and cruelty.
Absolutely correct.
Jose though is manipulating some of the fanbase to take the blame away from himself. There's a big problem with the coaching and man management style of Jose and it holds us back, and will continue to do so as long as he's here. I just wish our board would see through this before he does more extensive damage.

Yes the players have to step up as well, but the manager imho is just not approaching the situation in the right way.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If he criticised them, but said he thinks they are underperforming but he knows they are so much better, the old kick in the pants but an arm round the shoulder at the same time. He praising some to the heavens, Scott, Ashley. He can't seem to blend the two.

Also I think we are letting agents dictate our transfers, there does not seem to be any research into the strength of character of some of these players, just their marketability. At one time strength of character was one of the main things we would be looking for.
Exactly right.

The problem is the players that he likes are the polar opposites of what we expect from watching our club. Any other creative or technical players just don't turn him on unfortunately.

arthurka

Watched about 10 mins of this Dross i support.
To think we were once up there with Real,Barca,Bayern,and we now cannot beat the mighty Brighton.
Chelski must be rubbing their hands with glee for the FA cup final.
There in lies the problem. We could show up against Chelsea but against a side like Brighton we couldn't be bothered. . Loosing against Newcastle , Hudderfield and Brighton... There is a huge attitude problem in this squad its for everyone to see . Dont like Mourinho as a manager or his setup but he inherited an absolute shambles of a squad..

Fellaini, Darmian,Martial,Blind,Rojo and Mata should all leave but I would like Jose to go with them .

DomesticTadpole

Exactly right.

The problem is the players that he likes are the polar opposites of what we expect from watching our club. Any other creative or technical players just don't turn him on unfortunately.
Couldn't agree more and some people really need to wake up.

tony54

Also I think we are letting agents dictate our transfers, there does not seem to be any research into the strength of character of some of these players, just their marketability. At one time strength of character was one of the main things we would be looking for.[/QUOTE]

This is true, it must be frustrating if you're a sanchez or a lukaku type of player, running you're socks off and you see people like Pogba sat on his bum twiddling his fingers and Marcial and others not bothering to run into space.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791

£100m-£120M easily from those three sales, Fellaini out of contract. Add 150m normal budget, 200m-250m easily to spend on new targets. A right winger, two fullbacks, and a midfielder (also a cheap striker if possible, a Chicharito type signing to give Rashford competition for Lukaku's spot and add depth up front). If Martial has a good World Cup (if even selected) his price could sky rocket with a bidding war. Happy to let him go if we get someone better in.
I'd be surprised if we get 60m for the lot.

Djemba-Djemba

We're big game raisers.

You can't beat Arsenal twice, Spurs, City, Chelsea, and Liverpool but also lose to all 3 promoted sides and lose to the bottom side at home without being obvious game raisers.

The mentality of these players is shocking. It's like they take any excuse to ease off.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Some of the players couldn't be bothered last night. They let the manager down big time.

oz insomniac

There's far too much sympathy for the players described as not wanting it by JM.

If you are getting $100k per week and can't show professional attitude when playing lower placed teams, then just shove off. Looks like a few posters need to deviate from JM is the devil incarnate, to actually look critically at player performance and see that they fail the get serious test and earn your keep test.

Bestietom

Some of the players couldn't be bothered last night. They let the manager down big time.
He has to clear these players out. We need players with heart that will play for the badge. They are certainly getting paid enough. They couldn't even pass a ball 10 yards. Gawd.

svastian99

Who's optimistic for next season?
We have to replace some players {at least Daarmian - Fellaini} and generate stability and a good game in key areas such as midfield and defense.
Achieving performance with new players and more when they do not play in the PL is difficult.

In addition there are many players who must change the mentality, there are some who must demonstrate with a good game constantly because they are the ones chosen regularly - there are others who have to be able to challenge them .. for that reason Jose spoke of lack of competitiveness.

Natural leaders should appear to respond to difficult situations ... at the moment I do not see anyone doing that work.

There is still a lot to work to be hopeful for the new season. Especially with a lack of passion like the one they showed recently.

Rajma

Erm great comparison... who'd he win the premier league with again? Jose on the other hand has a nice handful of English league titles. Very relevant here How many of our current squad have that experience? Certainly not the players in question. When this team can beat every other team in the league and then lose to all the newly promoted sides it's a player mentality issue. We have too much of the young and brash as well as weak minded festering around. Some of them need to grow up and others need to go.
How many of Leicester or current City team players had experience of winning this league for that matter? City have just as many as ours in the squad. What experience of winning EPl had regulars such as Ederson, Stones, Otamendi, Laporte, Walker, De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane, Clishy, Gundogan, Bernarndo Silva and Jesus? Or is it different again? The amount of excuses for underperformers, including managers our fans coming up resulted in lowering expectations and standards at this club and allowing to get away with everything until it goes south real bad.

Fully Fledged

We don't have a mentality problem, as shown by the fact we have the second best record against the top 6 and have beaten every team in the league and will likely finish second, highest position since 12/13. Also in the Cup final. The anomaly of the season was Sevilla. What we have is a consistency problem (both in selection, Jose's reactionary traits and in style of play), but the core of the team and the team itself is in very good shape assuming most integral players stay and 2-4 arrive in the summer.
We've lost to all the promoted teams and the team bottom of the league. There is a mentality problem in that we expect to beat the lesser teams without even trying. The big problem last night and in many of the games we have failed to win this season was is with the attitude of core players like Pogba not turning up.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm numb to this sh*t now.

I don't even know what that was supposed to be. I wasn't expecting an exciting performance (never do, anymore) but thought we'd at least grind out a composed, professional 0-1 win. How wrong I was. Not a single player, DDG aside, came out of that game looking good.

I have no affinity with 90% of this squad, the football nor the manager. Drab, boring and bland all of them. Nothing to them, no character, no resolve, no drive, nothing.

The worst part is, this is basically what we can expect next season. Strap in.

We need 1pt against WHU to secure second, don't we? I expect Jose to go to indomitable Moyesy's back-yard playing for a point. Nightmare stuff.

DomesticTadpole

Don't you get a bit sick of hearing this or variations from various players?
It's true, but we are hearing it over and over again in various competitions. They need a new script writer.

11:12
Ashley Young reacts to the defeat
Speaking to MUTV Young said:

“It wasn’t good enough from the first whistle to the end. We put pressure on them at the end, but you can’t start like that and expect to win. It is disappointing and we have to dust ourselves down and prepare for the next game.”

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 43% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Brighton 0:3 Man Utd