PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 04 May 2018

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
People having a go at our attacking players... really?

If they had a proper system in place and they were still underperforming then you know it's the players. However, the big issue is the lack of good coaching. Until that's sorted out, we'll be going into next season with the same problems.

Marcky411

Well Jose again great tactics, the decline has really started. With this football next season I wonder how far we fall before they fire his @rs.

redIndianDevil

I wonder sometimes what instructions have been given. Throughout the entire season we've played too narrow. Our final ball in to the box has been abysmal.

I don't know why, with the way Brighton were playing, we kept trying to play through the middle. No one was on the overlap, no one was trying to get to the line. Seem devoid of ideas. There's no plan B. It just doesn't make sense.
IMO we didn't play well enough through the middle. This is how almost all mid-table to bottom table PL teams play against big boys. Our passing and movement is not incisive enough to open those teams.

RRCE

Extremely disappointing, but no longer unexpected. I’m quite numb to these performances now, which is very sad. I understand that it’s the garbage time in the season for the players, but 2nd spot isn’t yet secure and we have a cup final to play. Where’s the urgency and desire to earn a place in the team at Wembley (and, quite possibly, for next season). Not good enough.

Jose needs to be better, but many of these players have proven, yet again, that they’re simply not of the required quality. Anyone who honestly thinks that Pep would win the league with our squad is deluded. Pep would have gotten rid of half our team by now.

Not to single him out, as nobody stepped up today in the slightest, but Pogba was a disgrace. These are the sorts of games that he should lead in. It just doesn’t happen often enough.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I disagree there. Why would they need motivating at all? He has just given them a chance to play themselves into the FA cup final, no motivation needed. The players have a lot to answer for.
Because the league is over and they will naturally take their foot off the accelerator with the WC and summer on the horizon. Its Mourinho's role to make sure they stay focused. He failed miserably in this regard.

squidoo

Let's be honest. Our manager is all about winning trophys...there is no trophy for 2nd.
He didn't care about tonight really. For him now it's all about the cup final.
Our 3 biggest runners. ..Sanchez, Lingard and Herrera not starting. ..he wants them fresh.
We beat Chelsea and no one remembers this sorry match.

Drz

It was against Barca#Albion, of course we had our first shot on target at the 49th minute.
No way I'm paying multiple tv subscriptions and giving up time to watch this, just about anything would be more fun. Given we only win off individual brilliance youtube videos after a positive result will do just fine, in case of a negative result I will look under the bus for the players to blame.
Mourinho should be happy he will be allowed to buy his way out of his incompetence.

Basa1987

Wowsers. Unwatchable shite.

Every other top team is able to the byline and create chances, except us. And the few times we cross, we are either outnumbered or we have Mata jumping for crosses.

Enough of crowding the middle and trying to play through teams like we are Barcelona.

spiriticon

Under Mourinho:

When we win we are lucky.
When we lose we are crap.

It's never:

When we win we are awesome
When we lose we're unlucky
Losing to Brighton and Hove Albion will never be unlucky. It will always be crap.

MoskvaRed

After 4 years of constant mediocrity, why does Mata still get in the XI? It’s not his fault we lost today but 4.5 seasons as a senior player and he still looks like an imposter. He epitomises everything that has gone wrong since 2013 - top dollar paid for Europa league level.

Toddler

Nothing new here. No composure going forward. Our midfield trio was abysmal and Rashford bottled the one change we had.

Many of the people here probably bash Martial but I think he was one the only ones that tried at least (did not succeed many times though), he is always going forward which I like. Many people here seem to like better when players are not even trying to go forward and playing it safe or something like that rather than at least trying to go forward and failing. And then they complain that our attack is bad.

We were bad, and I think its lack of motivation, which partly I blame Jose.

Hughie77

Poor poor poor..bad all round . No lukaku and looked ordinary. And we don't need another striker?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
We just don't know how to attack. The only plan is get it out wide and swing in a cross. That's about it.

FireBlade

All you can do is have a giggle at that really.

I think Rashford may end getting himself sold if he keeps this greedy streak going.

He has ignored an open team mate in the center of the goal a few times this season if he won't play for the team get rid keep Martial and bring in a RW. He may be a local lad but that non pass was criminal and would get you a lot of grief from team mates even at school level.

If he keeps up this style of play i would not even be bothered if he left.

Last edited by a moderator:

redIndianDevil

I think for a while now watching us is so MEH!
Watching Moyes United was shocking, watching LVG United made me angry.....this Jose football, win/lose/draw is so meh.
I’m not really arsed anymore, it like background noise. We win s game and I don’t feel like celebrating. Jose, the players whoever is at fault has sucked the life out of it for me.
It's Mourinho's fault. We seem to have sold our soul for short term gains and the gains haven't been much either.

Simple Red

This performance must rate as the worst of some pretty dire performances this season. No fight or passion. A manager who looks as though he would rather be anywhere than in charge of this team. So called top players who stroll through matches with no desire. For goodness sake they are playing for Manchester United.

The first team needs a complete overhaul from the manager downwards. The style of play needs to change to a more direct style with emphasis on speed.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
After that I’ve decided to sell my final tickets. Can’t be arsed traveling to London when there is a very good chance that i’ll be watching that shite.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
That was poor.

First half we couldn't pass to each other, bit better in the second half but didn't really look like scoring.
Don't know what Mourinho's instructions to the full backs were but seemed to be whatever you do, don't go forward.
Too funneled into the middle again

Rashford awful, Mata and Fellaini poor. Pogba at least tried but not great.

Smalling OK, DDG gets MoM even though he didn't have that much to do but didn't do anything wrong.

We've managed to lose away to all 3 promoted clubs , add in the home loss to WBA but had some great results against the top sides. Frustrating.

Member 85611

Even Messi wouldn't have helped there.

JG3001

2nd place and people complain about the football... lol, I’m on your side, says it all, Mourinho is not the way forward. Certain players need to go with him as well

Robindinho

Once again, another pile of shite. So sick and fed up of our players having no idea in attacking areas - standing still in a line and no one making a run in behind...

How the feck are we second?!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Feels like an early stage of pre-season friendlies.

Just play 11 kids from academy/reserves, including Chong... at least he'll actually attack without fear.

stubie

After that I’ve decided to sell my final tickets. Can’t be arsed traveling to London when there is a very good chance that i’ll be watching that shite.
I’d offer to buy but I cannot justify those prices

redIndianDevil

What do you think the role of the manager is. If he allows a pedestrian mentality then it will show in games.
It's not about motivation or mentality. It's down to poor coaching. The lack of movement, poor slow pedestrian passing is all down to poor coaching and nothing else.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Because the league is over and they will naturally take their foot off the accelerator with the WC and summer on the horizon. Its Mourinho's role to make sure they stay focused. He failed miserably in this regard.
I think the changes he made would have been a good example of exactly that. Keeping it fresh and bringing players that could possibly place their performance in the managers head before the final. I think the players have a lot to answer for.

mark_a

So this is the non-football of which you speak.

Spineless lack of being arsed to beat a team way down the league, giving them really flattering result. We've specialized in losing to the bottom teams and beating the tops ones this season. Weird. I've still got some boots, lets have a f*cking go

kundalini

Hard to know what the instructions were, other than stroll around, take it easy, don't exhaust yourselves.

Pogba was a disgrace. Matic hardly any better.

Mourinho's slow tempo football is dire viewing.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Martial and Rashford either dont like each other or received orders to not play passes between them . This is not about the coach is about the attackers having no idea how to do a between lines pass.
I thought the coach was responsible for this?

manichester

The players are coached into over passing and keeping the ball the trouble is half of them cant pass a ball more than 5 yards. We also rarely pass to a player on the run everything is static and predictable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One thing is for sure. We can't rely on Lukaku alone next year. We need help in the attack department and that help isn't currently a United player.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Let's be honest. Our manager is all about winning trophys...there is no trophy for 2nd.
He didn't care about tonight really. For him now it's all about the cup final.
Our 3 biggest runners. ..Sanchez, Lingard and Herrera not starting. ..he wants them fresh.
We beat Chelsea and no one remembers this sorry match.
He has been banging on about 2nd place, we have West Ham next, bet their players will show up, then 2nd place is assured. If we don't get 2nd then he will look a fool. We would be miles behind City and maybe behind the CL finalist, we are a long way off competing.

Kapardin

We are likely getting 2nd even with this loss and that complacency was there. I am not saying the performance was acceptable, but the season's over bar the FA Cup final and let us not crucify Jose for it. He's earned another season atleast.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Who gave Martial MOTM, come on, own up?

He must have bought you a beer one time while you asked for a selfie, I can't see ANY other reason tbh.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 43% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Brighton 0:3 Man Utd