PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 04 May 2018

redIndianDevil

It was against Barca#Albion, of course we had our first shot on target at the 49th minute.
No way I'm paying multiple tv subscriptions and giving up time to watch this, just about anything would be more fun. Given we only win off individual brilliance youtube videos after a positive result will do just fine, in case of a negative result I will look under the bus for the players to blame.
Mourinho should be happy he will be allowed to buy his way out of his incompetence.[/QUOTE
The players are coached into over passing and keeping the ball the trouble is half of them cant pass a ball more than 5 yards. We also rarely pass to a player on the run everything is static and predictable.
They are not being coached enough. Everyone is afraid to make a tougher pass and the player who has the ball has no options due to our lack of movement.

redIndianDevil

We are likely getting 2nd even with this loss and that complacency was there. I am not saying the performance was acceptable, but the season's over bar the FA Cup final and let us not crucify Jose for it. He's earned another season atleast.
He hasn't IMO. The sooner we get rid off him the better for me.

van Nistelrooy

People having a go at our attacking players... really?

If they had a proper system in place and they were still underperforming then you know it's the players. However, the big issue is the lack of good coaching. Until that's sorted out, we'll be going into next season with the same problems.
It doesn't take "good coaching" to tell Rashford to square the bloody ball to Martial. That is just common sense!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Liverpool and Spurs could catch us. If we won today, that would have been Liverpool out of the picture completely, one more point after that to get rid of Spurs, so now we cannot lose at West Ham and hope Liverpool lose at Chelsea. Which of course helps Chelsea's form for the cup final.:(

Seanus

Let's be honest. Our manager is all about winning trophys...there is no trophy for 2nd.
He didn't care about tonight really. For him now it's all about the cup final.
Our 3 biggest runners. ..Sanchez, Lingard and Herrera not starting. ..he wants them fresh.
We beat Chelsea and no one remembers this sorry match.
But lose to Chelsea and then we will have so many bad memories, those millionaires should have given everything in every game to run City as close as we can but now we could end up 25 fecking points behind them!! I am a realist and know Utd have no divine right to success but not trying is unforgivable. Rashford and Martial were sulking all night and do not pass to each other, Pogba was equally sloppy and stroppy, Mata just looks busy but does nothing, Felaini is crap end of, and as for the full backs-dear God!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Problem's never been Lukaku. It's service, mentality, way we operate as a team etc.
We're also too lopsidedly over reliant on him. Martial, Rashford, and Lingard are decent support players but none of them have the sort of consistency and goal production we need to support the main striker.
Just look at how balanced City's list of scorers is. We lack that.

Joseunited

Just need to hear that Fellaini has renewed his contract to finish things off.

Abhinav

Everyone will blame the manager but I don’t want to talk about that. History tells us that if the manager doesn’t meet the board’s expectations, he will be fired. What about the players though? No desire, no concentration and a downright poor attitude. Week in week out we see inconsistent performances. Except De Gea and maybe Matic, no player can claim to be delivering a 7/10 performance in most weeks. Martial, Pogba, Rashford, Mata - no desire to make runs, careless in possession, no intensity or intent while attacking. Everything was slower than it should be -one extra touch, one extra dribble, one-two’s around the box without any purpose. This is not about coaching. This is about taking pride in your work, in the club you represent all the time. Not just when your backs are against the wall or when its an important occasion. Complacency and arrogance is the biggest issue in the team. Really sick of the players.

Reactions: SteveJ

redmanx

This is unwatchable shite. Jose is in last chance saloon next season.
Jose cannot be blamed for the fact that most of our players tonight looked as if they wanted to be elsewhere, the lack of passion, spirit and guts was appalling as was the constant giving away of the ball and poor decision making; tonight certain players had the chance to stake their claims for more regular appearances and they failed to do so, and have only themselves to blame if their seasons ended tonight, let alone their careers at Manchester United. Recently, against City, Spurs and Arsenal, we saw just what this United could be capable of and rightly so they were praised, but tonight we failed to perform again and it simply isn't good enough; football matches are 90 minutes, a season 38 games, but some of our players don't seem to realise this, and worse, don't seem to care.

Reactions: SteveJ

YouOnlyLiveTwice

We can't play a midfield of Matic, Fellaini and Pogba against a team like Brighton. We don't have the attacking players to do it. Mata needs people near him linking up or he will just be non-existent. Bad team choice by Mourinho. Players need to do way more though.

Liverpool and Spurs could catch us. If we won today, that would have been Liverpool out of the picture completely, one more point after that to get rid of Spurs, so now we cannot lose at West Ham and hope Liverpool lose at Chelsea. Which of course helps Chelsea's form for the cup final.:(
True, but we won't be in the EL like that poster was asking.

The_Order

Imagine crawling over broken glass to offer Fellaini a new contract.

James Peril

Absolutely no chemistry between our attacking players, which is of course what you get when you play the same striker all season and never rotate.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Let's be honest. Our manager is all about winning trophys...there is no trophy for 2nd.
He didn't care about tonight really. For him now it's all about the cup final.
Our 3 biggest runners. ..Sanchez, Lingard and Herrera not starting. ..he wants them fresh.
We beat Chelsea and no one remembers this sorry match.
This is such delusional BS.We had enough quality on the pitch to beat Brighton with a bit to spare if they were properly managed/ motivated.That performance was just unacceptable.

Marcky411

As much as a lot of fans don’t want to hear it, we got damaged goods as a manager after his last sacking. Looking at our last performances, the players aren’t playing for the manager any more. Starting to look a lot like his last season at Chelsea, just before things completely fell apart, the only difference is Jose has got lucky that the season is over now and second place is secured.
On another note I wonder when we will get to hear Jose gave Fellaini a bumper 5 year contract.

Turkleton

We normally play with a disjointed and unprepared attack. Putting in other players, who are low on confidence, wasn't going to improve that.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It doesn't take "good coaching" to tell Rashford to square the bloody ball to Martial. That is just common sense!
That bit I agree with. Don't know what happened to Rash there.
I suspect a lack of opportunities and his self preservation took over his common sense there.. sadly.

redmanx

Everyone will blame the manager but I don’t want to talk about that. History tells us that if the manager doesn’t meet the board’s expectations, he will be fired. What about the players though? No desire, no concentration and a downright poor attitude. Week in week out we see inconsistent performances. Except De Gea and maybe Matic, no player can claim to be delivering a 7/10 performance in most weeks. Martial, Pogba, Rashford, Mata - no desire to make runs, careless in possession, no intensity or intent while attacking. Everything was slower than it should be -one extra touch, one extra dribble, one-two’s around the box without any purpose. This is not about coaching. This is about taking pride in your work, in the club you represent all the time. Not just when your backs are against the wall or when its an important occasion. Complacency and arrogance is the biggest issue in the team. Really sick of the players.
I agree with you absolutely, some of those playing tonight should be ashamed of their performances.

redmanx

That bit I agree with. Don't know what happened to Rash there.
I suspect a lack of opportunities and his self preservation took over his common sense there.. sadly.
He needs to grow up.

Red Royal

Pogba gets a lot of stick (rightfully after a performance like tonight) but how does Matic get away with it?? He has.been average for a while and his lack of attacking prowess adds to Pogbas and everyone else burden. I think he, young and Valencia need to go. Doubt Jose will let his general move on though

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
We're also too lopsidedly over reliant on him. Martial, Rashford, and Lingard are decent support players but none of them have the sort of consistency and goal production we need to support the main striker.
Just look at how balanced City's list of scorers is. We lack that.
There needs to be a consistent rotation strategy, so players are in form. Expecting someone to just just jump off bench and deliver is not a realistic proportion. Then there is also (lack of) the mental support. Mou likes to keep players guessing and off balance with his consistent lack of support and shitty "I blame you for this loss" interviews.

I believe this team as we have has the right 'core' players and it's just Mou who is not able to get the best off them.

MonkeysMagic

100% this.

Fitchett

Predictable sh*t performance from us. Brighton wanted it, we couldn't be arsed. Our attacking play is a joke, so slow, let the opposition get back in position and be organized, then try to pick them off with passes which invariably break down.
Our play is no better than under Van Gaal, even if our results are.

Denis79

This is Mourinho's fault. He failed to motivate the players to perform at a high level.
Have to agree with that a bit but the players given a chance from the bench shouldn't need motivation if they have any ambition to become starters. Pathetic performance.

squidoo

This is such delusional BS.We had enough quality on the pitch to beat Brighton with a bit to spare if they were properly managed/ motivated.That performance was just unacceptable.
I'm not saying I agree with the method. But why pick that team?
It' obvious what his game is.

Jig1234

That was absolutely atrocious. The attitude and the football was diabolical right from the first whistle.

There isn’t really much to analyse apart from that Brighton gave their all, while we loafed around the pitch for 90min thinking we were entitled to the 3 points.

Martial and Rashford had shockers. Maybe it’s because they lack match time and confidence, I don’t know but I still expect better than that.
We could have Sane and Sterling and I don't think they would do any better under Mourinho.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Watching MUTV and people phoning in are disgusted. Alex Stepney and David May are really unhappy. Can't blame them. Our players just go through the motions and are happy to pick up their wages.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 43% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Brighton 0:3 Man Utd