PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 August 2018

MuFc_1992

I haven't hated anyone like I hate Jose at the moment. It is all his fault and I'd probably take David Moyes over him at the moment.

Nik70

I've been a Jose supporter but the performances are getting worse. His days are numbered....

GM K

"I don't think you can blame the manager too much today. There were too many individual errors." - Paul Scholes

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Probably get all the usual excuses from the players. Wasn't good enough. Have to do better. Thank the fans for their support. It gets boring.

JonDahl

It was shit, but it’s ridiculous to be hooking up the Jose out bandwagon at this stage. Some perspective lads.
Well unless you think it's going to get better (it's hasn't for 2 years, so this will be nothign other than blind faith), then I wholeheartedly understand those calling for his head - even if I do support the guy.

Varun

Staff
Who do we get in though? If the manager was sacked tomorrow who could we realistically replace him with?

We can all name managers we'd want, but which of them is actually available?

Need to get a DoF sorted first to stop this constant spinning and circles and conveyor belt of players.
We're not going to sack a manager 2 games into the season so it's all a moot point

Jacko21

Haha what? When does Mourinho ever take responsibility he will absolutely blame the players like he always does
:lol:

He's more likely to throw his nan under the bus than take the flak protecting the players.
Misinterpreted what I said. Meant Mourinho will be the one criticised amongst the media, whilst the players get off lightly.

There has to be some collective responsibility.

pjaya

It's one game guys, we were loosing 3-1 against Fulham under Fergie too.
Ya then later 2 games and when u realized it. It’s already 10 games
So better get mourinho out now asap

Eriku

I’m a patient fella, but feck me that was atrocious. How can we be down by two goals for two thirds of the game, and not manage a single shot on goal, penalty aside.

Clearly we need coaching in our offensive play because we look pathetic in attack.

Esquire

We need to realise that this isn't the guy to take us forward and cut our losses. Unfortunately, it will cost too much to sack him now so we'll let the rot set in. Things are going to get much worse and publicly.
I went from a Mou supporter to lukewarm to now pretty much adverse. I do think it was the players being utterly crap today for whatever reason. No matter how bad Bailey and Victor were today. No matter how out of match shape Young and Lukaku was, we should have been at least competitive in this game. Brighton dominated us today. They kicked our butts all over the pitch and dominated every facet of the match. That’s down to the players showing pride and fight. I’m not sure we showed anything today.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jose 3rd season

Players lacking confidence
Manager creating a bad team atmosphere
Results no longer justifying the shit on a stick football
Best players performing horribly
Media circus

It happens over and over. Need him to leave now before our season is completely over.
It's happened twice. Admittedly those were his last two jobs (Real Madrid and his second Chelsea stint), but they were the only times it has happened.

Andersons Dietician

The squad is weak and we didn't bother to improve it.
Why is this getting peddled by quite a few? That squad of players would be the envy of a lot of clubs. We don’t have a weak squad, we have a very talented squad which aren’t playing to their potential.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We've already given ourselves a deficit on City, which looking at their next whole run of fixtures means we might not again even be within 3 points of them.

Unless we buck up, get Matic and Valencia back, and work out what our best lineup actually is, we could actually find ourselves battling to get top 4.

Wan

Well that was depressing.

Pre season was not great. Transfer window come and gone and in the end felt like a disaster. Last game showed a bit of a glimmer that this season wouldn't be so bad. But today must be one of the worst performance wise. We couldn't create at all. What the hell were we doing in training? It's not like we have to integrate a bunch of new players into the team and understand the tactics.

Compare that to City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal even. We play the worst football out of that lot.

Djemba-Djemba

First goal, Bailly has a brain fart and tries to intercept someone on the left flank already being closed by Fred, leaving Lindelöf alone. 1-0.
Second goal, Bailly and Lindelöf lost without idea what to do. 2-0
3rd goal, Bailly... no comments.

But you know what? Sack Mourinho and replace him with fecking Ed Woodward, the guy clearly knows that Alderweireld is not better than our 5 CB.
Who bought Bailly and Lindelof?

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
Really bad performance. Only Shaw and Fellaini did ok. De Gea had no chance for their goals and no shots to save apart from that.

Expected early struggles after the team had basically no pre-season so I was suprised after the good performance against Leicester. However, today was really bad. Some of the defensive mistakes were inexcusable and you could not create much going forward. Also, I am very annoyed that Lukaku couldn´t convert that easy chance early in the game. I think it would have been a much different game.

AndyJ1985

2nd game. If we were 5th at Christmas and this had just happened fair enough I’d be up front and centre with my torch and pitchfork.
I wanted Jose out at the end of last season, so it makes no difference if it's only our second game of the season or not. All pre-season + the last two matches have done is reinforce my opinion that he's not good enough.

MuFc_1992

First goal, Bailly has a brain fart and tries to intercept someone on the left flank already being closed by Fred, leaving Lindelöf alone. 1-0.
Second goal, Bailly and Lindelöf lost without idea what to do. 2-0
3rd goal, Bailly... no comments.

But you know what? Sack Mourinho and replace him with fecking Ed Woodward, the guy clearly knows that Alderweireld is not better than our 5 CB.
Your post would make sense if Mourinho hadn't gone out and signed both of them and picked them to play today over Smalling and Jones.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He could be losing the players. I called it before the match, that we would struggle and try and win 1-0. We barely created anything of note in the second half.

Have to admit i am kind of getting fed up with the tactics away from home. I can understand them against good teams. But i mean Fred probably cost more than the whole starting 11 of brighton combined. We should be playing better football with the players we have.

Look his tactics do work. We won the europa when spurs got knocked out. So he is doing something right. But i look at Man city and Liverpool and potentially chelsea and we have similar quality of players as them and as such should be able to play like them. For christs sake the tactics in the second half were lump it up to fellaini.

At least we have a good set of players that we know can play good football. So it is not as bad as when Moyes was sacked.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've been a Jose supporter but the performances are getting worse. His days are numbered....
Agreed. The general atmosphere and mentality of manager and players seems to have taken a nosedive - similar to the dark days of Moyes and LvG.

ice-bionic red

I said how painful to watch we were against Leicester last week and I got quoted a few times by a few posters on here questioning my opinion. We let them look like the home team, have better chances and more possession. They almost scored a late equaliser and our performance was praised by many?
THIS on the other hand was disgraceful! We have this half-arsed, soft approach until we go a goal down! Today 2 in less than 2 minutes! We fought even though we were terrible at it! We have no style of play or identity at all! Pitiful in the attacking 3rd and today the defence was all at sea.

I don’t know if we continue with Jose or not but we are so disjointed as a team it’s unbelievable. The press are going to love this though! fecking wankers!

So disappointing

wolvored

WTF was that? Dont they train in the week or something. Ive seen better watching kids play over the park. The manager trains the squad picks the tactics the style of play man management and motivation. The players then put it all together on the pitch. Im not a Mourinho fan but I dont know if its him or the players anymore. Every team we play seems to have more pride and more astute than our lot.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
We have an opportunity to get Zidane and what peeves me off is Woody will screw up that as he done in the transfer market.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Don't we have a few too many of these bad day at the office moments?
I think it's more concerning when it's in the middle or latter half of the season, which has happened in both of Mourinho's previous seasons. It's not much of an excuse at all, because I blame Mourinho much more than the players but some could argue they're nowhere close to peak form, whatever that looks like on this team.

abailey123

Surely it’s time to switch to a 3-5-2?

I don’t think any of our centre halves are good enough to play as a pair. For me some of our best football last year was when we played 3 at the back (Watford and Arsenal away).

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Stony faced. Did not look impressed at all.
Well, he's paid big bucks so needs to sort this out.

I'd be stony faced too looking at all the money spent and the shite manager and players have just served up.

edgar allan

The only way I can explain this is: a very bad day at the office. Shit happens. The players and Jose are not this horrible on a normal day.
I was so pumped up coming into this game. Jose's coments were spot on, according to him, they prepared hard for the game, the rested players were back, the midfield looked promising last week, the line up looked good today, I could go on and on. The play was just too shocking. It has to come down to a very bad day at the office.
We have had loads of these days the last few years but often scored a goal out of nothing and papered over the cracks. That kind of luck is never going to hold.
We have severe problems in every area of the team, no style, poor tactics, no passion, little fight. A bombscare of a performance.

Ferguson

That was a comprehensive defeat.

Poor in the first half, no response in the second half.

A performance worthy of David Moyes' United

IppoKun

Supports
Benfica
Who bought Rojo, Smalling, who wanted to buy a new CB and was denied by someone who didn't know jack shit about football? Both Bailly and Lindelöf need someone with experience besides them.

LoneStar

Depressing watch that. Players didn't look like they cared too much. Every single one of them was disappointing. Martial, Mata and Lukaku were very bad. Please sell Mata and Martial can feck off from this club. Guy has 0 movement, always wants the ball at his feet.

And Jose. I was constantly supporting him, and thought that he was criticized way too much by the media and the fans alike. But there are no excuses for games like this.

Yeah we had some average players playing today (Young, Lindelof, Mata, Martial), but we were playing Brighton ffs, not Madrid/Barca away. This is all on Jose. We have absolutely no clue what to do in attack.

Moonwalker

I’d like you to imagine that for years you said Mourinho wasn’t suited for this club.

And you’re called a WUM.

I’d like you to imagine that you say he plays negative football and is boring

And you’re called a WUM.

I’d like you to imagine you constantly mention Mourinho’s third year meltdown.

And you’re called a WUM.

I’d like you to imagine you knew this would happen. You were certain of it and you saw your club making a huge mistake and the heartbreak it would inevitably cause.

And you’re called a WUM and given a “hilarious” nickname. “The special One”

Some of you asked for this. I have no sympathy for you. Some of us fought heart and soul for the club, they feel ten times worse.
Nice symploce.

Shark

@NotShark
We've already given ourselves a deficit on City, which looking at their next whole run of fixtures means we might not again even be within 3 points of them.

Unless we buck up, get Matic and Valencia back, and work out what our best lineup actually is, we could actually find ourselves battling to get top 4.
No point in even thinking about City, we won’t be competing with them.

Enigma_87

You know who
We had glaring weaknesses last season and we failed to address every single one of them - CB, LB,RB, RW.

It's no surprise our football is still shit.

When you change nothing how you can expect different results?

Nik70

"I don't think you can blame the manager too much today. There were too many individual errors." - Paul Scholes
Errors are one thing but we don't seem to be capable of producing effective attacking football. Against a team like Brighton that is shocking.

Sing you a song

Somebody take some responsibility. Anybody.

Mourinho will take all the flak, the players will hide.
Totally agree mate
Jose will get the flak and that is fair enough but some of the players we’r truly awful
Pogba this guy just can’t / won’t do it consistently he seemed to take on the Sanchez role today ie constantly mishitting passes and giving the ball away.
Mata non existent
Fred please god he is better than he looked today
Lindelof and Bailey like frightened rabbits
Martial once again given a chance once again blows it we should have shifted him in the window , doesn’t care a jot for the club and not afraid to make that obvious .

Young not the worst performance but just illustrates one again that we have the worst full/ wing backs out of the top 6

Lukaku hopefully just rusty

Rashford headless chicken

Totally demoralising City get 6 and we lose at BRIGHTON .

Woodward completely cocked up the transfer window
Jose will be gone before XMAS

RabbyD

Mourinho must go and must go now.

He will be happy to have won the second half. Turned it round. Ashley Young was amazing again. another fantastic choice at right back.

Sack him now.

Player Ratings

3.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd