g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 May 2023

The Hilton

Should have gone in ahead at half time, but didn't due to wasteful finishing. Second half was poor, we looked slow and fatigued, and could barely string passes together.

Brighton weren't scoring without that penalty, which was gifted by a ridiculous dive that the ref fell for, but we're forced to hang on because we aren't very good at holding onto the ball under pressure.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I try to console myself that 5th is okay because we are not a finished article but then again, if we don't get top 4 now with Liverpool and Chelsea is dismay, will we get a chance next season? I only watch the 2nd half and we were poor. Nobody could actually hold the ball. I think Utd is a 1st half team, but I rather we becomes a 2nd half team. Something that Eric needs to work on.

Wheato

They pretty much fouled us on every transition. And it just destroyed our patterns of play that we had in the first half, but the biggest factor of all, and this has been the case for a number of weeks now, the team look absolutely spent. And especially in the second half where the opposition see this drop off and start to smell blood. We saw it with Spurs and Sevilla.

We need to get these boys into an ice bath, because we are there for the taking at the moment. I think we could have seen that game out better with Erikson instead of Sancho who did nothing again.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Ten Hag needs to give his head a wobble me thinks.

We're not at home, and we're not playing some scared minions.

Picking Martial tonight is a horrible decision. He's devoid of any fight.

Casemiro was poor.
Fred was horrible.

All around a poor poor performance by all of them.
So it wasn't the fact Antony cannot hit the target from a simple chance, not the fact Rashford thinks he's Superman out there, it's the fact he picked our only decent striker ahead of a donkey that caused us to lose.

Peak Brexit post.

Salfordlad70

We just don’t have the players to play out from defence and yet the players themselves think they can. Time and time again we gift opportunities.

The midfield are all over the place and up front we’re no better.

We might get top four, but it’s now up in the air. there are times we look a good side, but more often than not we’re bang average and really poor and I’m struggling to pick a good performance tonight.

It hurts to say this, but we’re nowhere near the PL title and we seem to be going backwards. Without investment and a serious clear out of the shite in this squad, we’ll continue like this for the foreseeable future. It feels quite bleak.

mu4c_20le

I’d have rather lost the semi and won tonight with it looking like Liverpool are getting close for top four.
That's silly talk and you'll probably change your mind once the adrenaline wears off. We're still several points ahead with a game in hand, and a cup final

youngrell

Very frustrating because of the shite free kick they got leading to that, but truth be told they deserved a win more than us.

Hughie77

Would be less annoying without the OTT celebrations and Sky creaming themselves over it.
Phone up and cancel sky, like loads dis years ago when That bellend from Oasis was on it. I know its fashionable to hate utd ..

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
feck me the changing room shots are embarrassing: what a bunch of cnuts

wolvored

Game of 2 halves. Still shit overall against top half away. We have too many players not good enough and it affects others. Casemiro is gradually getting worse because of this. Luckily on paper we have 3 easy matches to get enough points. The way the parasites are performing selling the club the good players will already be sold and another wasted window will pass by.

The Irish Connection

I’m honestly jealous of how good Brighton are. Exceptional football all the time from them.
Theyre only missing a clinical finisher.
Shaw was probably our motm until that.

UDontMessWith24

2-3 games a week, virtually every single a week since FECKING JANUARY! Anyone berating the players without taking that into account isn't worth the fecking oxygen it takes to come onto this forum and spew their childish petulant garbage. Fecking cesspool full of children that can't wrap their brain around anything more complex than FIFA or FM. You should all be thoroughly embarrassed

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We've seen it all before, the difference is the sickeningly late penalty that sunk us. If we secure top four by a single point no-one will need to worry about the these results and performances, but we're running on empty at the moment and desperately need a few more wins to finish off the league season.

We're crying out for ten Hag to wring something else out of these players but they look like they've hit a brick wall this season. We're passengers in every single second half and none of subs he makes make a blind bit of difference, and while I don't see any manager getting much more out of these players this year it's disappointing to see the same patterns game after game.

Maureen-yo

Needs new players to implement a new philosophy.

He'll never be able to play any sort of possession or controlling style of football when half the team don't have any composure or awareness on the ball.

Dalot, Martial, DDG, AWB, Fred - how the fcuk can we still be going out with that lot on the pitch and wondering why these away games become a slog?

Add in how poor Rashford, Bruno, Casmiro and Antony were on the ball as well tonight and it just turns into a scrambling fecking shit show.

Too many players in the squad just aren't good enough on the ball.
This.
When asked about the FFP limit ETH said today that if a club wants high performances week in week out then it needs high quality players and they cost a lot.

Hinting that the team needs investment with high quality players to replace the dross.

sparx99

what the feck…..was Shaw playing at, there was absolutely no need for the handball, I’m saying it because I’ve thought this for a couple of weeks. We are weak mentally and Liverpool are running into form, we have a tough set of fixtures and I do not trust us not to royally feck up top four.
How do we have a tough run of fixtures? The run in is about as good as you could hope for. If we can’t get enough points form West Ham, Wolves and Chelsea then we don’t deserve top 4.

We’re absolutely going to cruise into the top 4 and probably get 3rd.

Hester_manc

I think ETH made a mistake by leaving Eriksen on the bench:

1) Fred was very poor today, and Eriksen would have been come on instead to keep more position of the ball.

2) Why put Weghorst on? He never scores anyway, and we had lost control of the game in the second half. We had problems holding on to the ball and Eriksen would have helped us here.

Yorke to Cole

I have had enough of this season. The pattern is there for everyone to see. We were hanging on for dear life. I have praised Luke Shaw, but that was diabolical decision making.

Martial is awful. His hold play and his tippy tappy.play. I think more substitutions, should have been made. Really, disapointed.

Really poor second half. We ghost is also rubbish. Sort yourselves out and be more decisive.

cj_sparky

Same old, same old. Thought we played quite well in the first, created a few good chances (again not taken) and had some nice quick interchanges here and there. But same old poor second half display.

Shaw played really well tonight, not sure it was even a foul on Enciso. But the handball was flat out stupidity.

Fred showed perfectly tonight why I didn't miss seeing him in the starting line up in recent weeks. Antony was a liability all night, even before he had kicked Mac Allister. He had a weird leg swipe towards Caicedo in the incident that saw Casemiro booked.

The less said about Wout coming on the better, liked his effort when we first got him in. But he is a waste of a sub, slabhead might as well go up top.

rooney2009

Aww Men that was painful
We didn’t deserve to lose that and a draw was a fair result but hey it’s football and that’s why we love it so much

Bristol_Red_87

Turning up for 45 minutes every week isn't going to cut it.

Limping across the line again...so much work to do on strengthening this squad in the summer.

I do believe things will be a lot rosier next season with a clinical striker in the ranks.

Martial and Fred need to be moved on. The former isn't worth the wage bill as a squad player and the latter can not conform to ETH's philosophy.

UDontMessWith24

I’m honestly jealous of how good Brighton are. Exceptional football all the time from them.
Theyre only missing a clinical finisher.
Shaw was probably our motm until that.
Then go support them. We've played almost twice as many games and had to play midweek fixtures consecutively for almost half the season. Do you honestly not understand how that can affect the players?

Delano

This team without Eriksen as well... we could've cut them to shreds with better passing. Just so poor on the ball.

Jeffthered

I really, really want the season to end. We need it to end, because our limitations are really being exposed. I feel for our better players, because they cannoy keep carrying this team. Shaw has been outstanding, so I'm not saying a word against him.

We cannot go into next season with one good forward. The other three can leave as far as I am concerned. We miss Garnacho, massively and that says a lot about where we are, because he is a kid.

Too many average players, Brighton have some better players and are playing well.

West Ham away is a very, very tough match. But I think we will do it, just.

But we need end of season.

TrueRed79

Not clinical enough. Absolutely shite subs. Ref is a cnut. We need 3 new no.9's. Shaw is a bellend for that, he was great otherwise. We need Garnacho back ASAP.

Hughie77

Martial was pants, I was talking to myself saying if only we had a striker.. this lose isn't deserved but you have to take it move on, I'm fecking livid.

Lentwood

Weghorst comes on...we concede....

So predictable. Its like giving the opposition the gift of territory AND guaranteed controlled possession at the back.

rajds89

What is going on with Sky? They are jubilant!
The whole show from start to finish tonight has been extremely one sided in Brighton’s favour. From taking to board members before the game, cameras in the dressing room.. I wasn’t aware if subscribed to seagull fecking tv.

DON’T PANIC ™

Before the last substitution, Utd still posed a threat. I’m not a fan of Martial but after he went off we were constantly giving possession away with Brighton bombing forward.

DickDastardly

So it wasn't the fact Antony cannot hit the target from a simple chance, not the fact Rashford thinks he's Superman out there, it's the fact he picked our only decent striker ahead of a donkey that caused us to lose.

Peak Brexit post.
Antony is beyond crap.

And Rashford had a bad night.

Still, it's Martials nonchalance that irks me.
Maybe it's just me.
Maybe Tony had a great game and I'm just mad and taking it out on him.

Pearl's a minger

Cowards, only one team wanted to win that game unfortunately. How martial got 84 mins is beyond me. Fred looking once again as though he's won a raffle to play at Utd. Rashford decision making a-la 2021-2022 season. Weghorst and Sancho subs meant we played with 9 for the last 15 minutes. If you don't laugh....

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
This is all thanks to years and years of neglect to having technical players. We don’t have any. We are a team of flash in the pan players. Some great athletes, but we just can’t control games and haven’t done so since Van Gaal was manager,

We are also majorly fatigued. You can see how badly we fade as the match goes on.
Fans don’t want that type of football because having possession drains the game of excitement.
The type of players in cm dictate how much control you’ll get. Billy Gilmour. Gilmour. Come on man.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 186 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd