LC L League Cup Quarter-Final

Bristol City 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 December 2017

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Best team won. We played a 2nd string team which misfired and so want good enough. Rashford, Ibra, McTominay, Pogba didn't make enough impact.

I don't mind, we don't need to win this cup this year. Its not a disaster nor panic situation, though am sure some fans will make it into a bigger issue than it is.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Whilst I can accept some things, that loss hurts. I can't believe our the lack of quality of this team. Honestly we have players that cannot even do the bloody basics.
It's not only the players, the coaching is abysmal. Jose not doing himself any favours. Really needs to add to his coaching staff, because our play is so basic. It's not only this game, it's a trend. Surely this is something that is easily remedied?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For me Rashford has regressed, his touch isn't good enough and it seems all he os good at is shoot from distance.
If only he'd swung that ball to his left, rather than a foolish attempt to run their defender

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I was laughed at in the matchday forum nearish to the beginning when I said we were playing poor.
Such an awful performance, Jose got it really wrong tonight.
It's alright stomaching his football when we're picking up points in the league, but in general it's not really good enough.
I think a large portion of the fanbase will get burned out pretty quickly with this kind of play.
I'm not saying sack him, but somebody at the club needs to explain to him that we should be playing attacking football at this club.
There's just no need to play defensive football against a championship side.
Onto the next game, need a big statement against Leicester now.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
What a humiliating defeat. fecking hate it when players have a “i couldn’t give a feck” attitude and it clearly shows in the performance. Bristol City are a decent team in the championship, we would have been well aware of their desire and fight to get a result tonight, and there we were pushing around our barren barrel of fecks.

Tony Babangida

We never seemed to get over the fact they were going to press us and not just sit back and let us do what we wanted. It was actually a decent, high tempo game of football. Our team just frequently shows a total lack of composure on the ball when put under pressure.

Don't mind that we are out really; would rather not play the 30 min of extra time during the busy period.

Fair play to Bristol City though, they were brave and played very well. Although, having lived in Bristol at one point, I always preferred Rovers.

snk123

Oh no, we don't get to play two semi finals in an already hectic schedule.

Can't say I'm bothered. Let Chelsea, City and Arsenal duke it out, we can focus on other things.
Like what the feck? The league - oh wait that's already gone.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
For me Rashford has regressed, his touch isn't good enough and it seems all he os good at is shoot from distance.
Rashford isn’t going to make it, thought it for a long time now. Just not good enough but he’s English.

Camilo

They were better, start to finish. Better on the ball, better off the ball, better work rate, more quality... Pretty shocking performance considering the apparent strength of the team we fielded.

But we pretty much looked like the same team we've been all season, which is to say pretty ordinary. I don't understand how Martial and Rashford contrive to be in so little space throughout a game... No one seemed to have their heads on properly - complete lack of composure throughout.

Still, more time to concentrate on not winning the league.

montpelier

can't say they didn't deserve it, looked better organised & more up for it, scored a great first goal

that Bryan can play can't he? - he's 24, nearly 200 games for them,

James Peril

What was that?

The best team won. The only team that had a game plan won easily. It wasn't about commitment it was about having no clue.
Foolish thing to say, they never won easily. We had 2-3 almost chances/sitters at 1-1, hit the post twice, Lukaku header, Pogba alone with the keeper and Rashford deciding to not pass for Lukaku.

Rashford should be fined and benched for not serving that pass for Lukaku, at least he should be ashamed of himself tonight.

Irrational.

Pointless cup but disappointing display. Glad we lost over 90 minutes and didn't have to endure another 30.

This squad needs substantial work. Our league position flatters us.

Rashford and Martial aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Ibrahimovic is finished.

Darmian is not even a Championship level player.

Romero is overrated.

Having said that, we hit the woodwork twice, and Steele (the cnut) had one of the games of his life against his former club.

Mike Dean can go and stand on lego barefoot, the utter attention-seeking wanker.

Also, the Bristol players are a bunch of cynical cnuts, they got away with murder today. But I guess you need a twat like Dean to let it pass. Hope Bristol get stuffed by City in the next round.

DevilRed

Well done Bristol. Good to see some of the lads get a run out.

Some poor defending today but let’s be honest, we were never going to lift the cup twice in a row nor did we seem too bothered today.

Less matches for us I suppose if that’s the silver lining. The good thing is it seems luke shaw, mkhitayaran and zlatan are rounding back to form. Will need them all for the busy Christmas period.

Poor defending recently needs to be stamped out.

Lindelof and mctominay conceded a soft goal at the end. Mourinho will not be happy with the defending.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So by that we should just field the reserves in the CL then? Since we’re bound to do doubles against the best teams eventually? Defeatist mentality, this was the cup we stood the greatest chance of winning - trophies are hard to come by and we won this last season (and bragged about it).
Last season we were an absolute mess in the league, could barely beat anyone at home. We're much improved there, so while the cup would have been great, you can't win them all.

GeorgieBoy

A team that has the likes of Ibra, Pogba, Martial, Rashford can’t be considered a B team.. stop that nonsense straight away.
Ok B+ team then, doesn't make a difference. Bristol City are a good team playing what was essentially was their cup final. It was never going to be a stroll. Disappointing, but lets put things into context here, these things happen in football.

buckooo1978

we had that coming in fairness - Arsenal, Brighton, Bournmouth, West Brom all pushed us hard after us being shit for long periods

we are a dysfunctional team really

Dr. StrangeHate

Every single one of our first choice attack was out there and we couldn't break down a championship team. This is how bad we are.

Devil may care

Shitty performance that was duly punished, their first goal was a worldie but the bulk of our players looked disinterested and the lack of fluidity in our attack was chronic.

meninred

I am glad we are over this competition.
A competition that should be erased..a real waste of time..we should only be focusing on premiere league and champions league. Even Fa cup isnot worth it..or give it to acadamy players.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
People chill the feck out, its football it happens. A lot of you need to go support PSG or City or Barca if every game just has to be a win or you will die. Bristol deserved it they outfought us and a lot of our lads werent up to par but it happens. It happened a lot under the greatest manager of all time and it happened tonight to one of the best in the world. fecking relax and look forward to the weekend.

Oakie

In the bigger picture i am glad as all the last teams would be a hard game lets sit back and watch are rivals kill each other in the cup.

Some of our players seem to be going a bit arrogant calling for fouls that didnt exist Pogbas card was stupid he needs to take a step back at times could of got a red again today.

Red_Aaron

All the credit goes to Bristol who were excellent, and great to see their coach go for it too. A young English coach who clearly had an attacking plan and who made a number of tweaks during the game too. They not only defended well but played far better attacking football than a team of some of the worlds best players helmed by arguably the worlds best manager.

I hope they go on to win it, good luck to them

mark_a

We didn't look bothered. A few tried (McTominay, Shaw) but we just looked either poor or not bothered. Nothing to do with this game, but I don't think Ibra has anything left. I'd rather a fully fit player than him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Why can we never keep the fecking ball? We seem to get outplayed by everyone this last while
We are trying to play the opposite way; don't look to keep the ball, but try to force the opponents into mistakes and capitalise on them, just like all of Mourinho's past sides. Unfortunately, it seems like our team's the only one that are unable to play Mourinho's brand of football, and the players themselves look like they all want to play a more proactive brand.

I fully expect Jose to lose the dressing room next season if he can't get a trophy this season. The players don't look like they are enjoying this style of football, and one of them will eventually have a pop at Mourinho.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
It won't hurt us, considering we won it last season and such results are a one-off.

Credit to Bristol City, hope they can upset one of the big guns in the semis. I wouldn't be too worried about this, our defense is usually solid on other occasions and Mourinho has a history of occasionally slipping up to lesser teams in the cups.

Ibra scoring was a positive, he should gain some confidence from that. Focus on the FA Cup and QF of CL, as well as cementing 2nd spot, that should be just about a decent return for the season.
It won't hurt us but it's more a concern with the way we play.

Minimalist

Thought United played well just didn't score enough on a night that the opposition were threatening all game. I'd just put it down as one of those cup upsets. Rashford one off the posts goes in and it's probably a different story.

Popovic

Bristol deserved to win and rightfully so. The attitude is piss poor and this just isn't about today its the last 3 fecking months.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Ok B+ team then, doesn't make a difference. Bristol City are a good team playing what was essentially was their cup final. It was never going to be a stroll. Disappointing, but lets put things into context here, these things happen in football.
See, this is something that irks me, it's not a shot at you, but if our players continue to show as fecking shit mentality as they did tonight then they won't see any cup final this year themselves.

jesskan60

Really don't bother with that result. Mike Dean was as usual dog shit.

Our attackers was more interested to go solo ( Rashford and Martial were poor )
I really liked McTominay performance, he deserve more game time.

Go on the next game. Congrats to Bristol.

Baby Groot

Oh no. We've lost the milk cup. Could see it coming from a mile away. Less embarrassing than the MK Dons loss at least.
We had a full strength side in this one though. I'm a little concerned about Romero. De Gea would have stopped at least one of their goals.
I'm not sure both goals feels like goal De Gea would coincide.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bristol win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Bristol 0:3 Man Utd
  • 27% Bristol 0:2 Man Utd