LC L League Cup Quarter-Final

Bristol City 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 December 2017

Jeffthered

Congratulations to Bristol City, fully deserved.

It is going to be an interesting second half of the season, and Mourinho will be under pressure, because people are going to begin to question whether he can take the team forward. No point giving him £300m.

Martial was dreadful, but I don't rate him anywhere near as highly as others. The guy flatters to deceive.

(big sigh).

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Serious question: Would McTominay have got a single minute of game time these last 2 seasons had he been say only 6ft tall?
I genuinely don't think he would have.
Doubt it. Jose loves size. I didn't even think McTominay was the best of our midfield prospects, though I haven't paid much attention to our youth.

Fuzzy Dunlop

United were shit, they were good. That's it. Mourinho should fine all the players for lack of attitude and focus.

Ban

Not really arsed about losing that game and happy enough we avoided extra time and a double legged tie against one of the big teams in the middle of some fixture congestion. I just realised we play Leicester away at the weekend and now I'm quite annoyed with how many first teamers played the whole game today.
Matic didn't that's the most important. Lukaku played little and Pogba needed the game.

wr8_utd

:'(
My only worry is that City look unbeatable and a Treble/Quadropule is on!
Us making it through would have no changed anything with regards to City winning it all. If anything, we'd have definitely played a full team for two midweek games and had it affect our league position.

Marcky411

We're never winning a league title while Martial and Rashford are starting, as harsh as that sounds. Just far too inconsistent and don't deliver enough. Compare them to Sane and Sterling who are on the wings at City, they rarely have 2-3 bad games in a short spell. Our two have them on a regular basis.
Manager - training (don't know what the hell they do in training) - tactics.

gibers

We're never winning a league title while Martial and Rashford are starting, as harsh as that sounds. Just far too inconsistent and don't deliver enough. Compare them to Sane and Sterling who are on the wings at City, they rarely have 2-3 bad games in a short spell. Our two have them on a regular basis.

Except Sane goes through a lot of bad spells especially when teams sit back and he has no space which is why he is the one that is chopped often.

Rashford and Martial would be better under Pep because Pep has an actual system. We have a defensive system and then it's up to the attackers to do things individually. Martail has more talent than both Sane and Sterling. He would be a monster under Pep. Same thing with Miki.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't really know where we are going now. Just going to be a shit christmas now. We will try to chase City, but the gap might likely increase further in the future if we are realistic. Lukaku the only player right now looking decent. We need him in top form and playing all games. Lingard we missed a lot today. Our two best players are needed really in the future.

kthanksbye

The defense was alright.
Darmain is just a very average player, I'm starting to think he isn't a lot better at football than I am, Patterson skinned him on a few occasions and he was left twisted.

I can excuse McTominay's inexperience for having a poor game defensively, but I'm fuming at Rashford and Martial, both of them were so lazy and casual that I found myself screaming at the screen. They should be playing their hearts out in games like these, instead they're just walking around expecting the other team to show them respect, their decision making was also piss poor.
Mikhi took a few bad touches but at least he was making an effort.
Can't complain about Pogba, there's only so much he can do.
Ibra looked rusty unsurprisingly. Lukaku gave it everything, almost scored on a couple of occasions.

wr8_utd

:'(
Matic didn't that's the most important. Lukaku played little and Pogba needed the game.
Yeah I'm glad Matic got the rest but would have preferred if Lukaku didn't come at all. Pogba could have picked up a red today in this worthless competition and that would be hugely pissing off.

Toad

Pointless cup but disappointing display. Glad we lost over 90 minutes and didn't have to endure another 30.

This squad needs substantial work. Our league position flatters us.

Rashford and Martial aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be.

Ibrahimovic is finished.

Darmian is not even a Championship level player.

Romero is overrated.

Having said that, we hit the woodwork twice, and Steele (the cnut) had one of the games of his life against his former club.

Mike Dean can go and stand on lego barefoot, the utter attention-seeking wanker.

Also, the Bristol players are a bunch of cynical cnuts, they got away with murder today. But I guess you need a twat like Dean to let it pass. Hope Bristol get stuffed by City in the next round.
How we are 2nd is beyond me.

Rashford and Martial has a poor performance but seriously, it’s just one game.

Ibrahimovic has just come back from a long term injury, he is not finished just rusty.

Darmian is shit and we all know it.

Romero is a good keeper, just had a bad game, poor guy.

Mike Dean couldn’t pull his shorts up any higher. I will provide the Lego if you steal his shoes.

At the end of the day, the mrs has just given me the nod for an early night so not all is lost :lol:

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
Not too bothered about not progressing in this cup but very disheartened to see the way we played. No respect for fans it seems.

Barnslig

Hopefully this is the end of Darmian and Blind, so, so slow. Can't have players in the team that can't fecking run in 2017.

Sanchez7

Agree, I sooner play a small Gomes with individual quality than a wooden McTominay that passes the ball backwards or sideways. He would not start in any of the other top 5 teams....
Top 5 teams is being generous. He probably wouldn't make first 11 of any premier league club apart from maybe Newcastle. Swensea have Ki and Leroy Fer in midfield!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
United were shit, they were good. That's it. Mourinho should fine all the players for lack of attitude and focus.
Fining them won't change anything. There is something that is either not working with his tactics or something that isn't even worked on during practice (ball movement, passing quickly).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You have to look at the team we put out. Most were starting players over the season. Every single one of them were poor. We scored with a slightly deflected free kick, and we had less shots on target than them 6-5. 5 shots on target against a team a league lower. How the mighty have fallen!
How do you work that out?

Romero - bit part, occasional games
Shaw/Darmian/Blind - similar
Zlatan/Rojo, barely played since long term injuries
McTominay - young guy, not played many games

Even Lindelof has had to be eased in and hasn't played loads.

So complacent until Bristol City went ahead, and only then realised they were in a game. Bristol deserved it overall and played the match in the way you'd expect them too: high energy and like their lives depended on it. A night their fans will always remember; well done to them. So lethargic from United for much of the game.

crossy1686

career ending
Things to take away from this game.

Darmian and Shaw can not be trusted, replacements needed.

Rashford and Martial can't play together.

The hangover from the City game is still real. If we don't get our heads out of our arses and stop feeling sorry for ourselves we're going to find ourselves in all kinds of trouble after the festive period.

Mikhitaryan is still rubbish.

Treble

The biggest negative was that Jose used all attacking weapons - Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Zlatan, Lukaku - and they came up with one goal from a set piece. That was really poor.

witchtrials

We however, don't look like a well coached side in my humble opinion - and that really needs to change. Buying more players is not gonna help.
Agreed. What exactly is our approach to attacking supposed to be?

BulgarianDevil91

I am pretty sure a very small % of the people here were overwhelmed with us winning this cup last year, yet now, this is the saddest chapter of the post-SAF era. Dear Lord, many people on here seem to not have a great idea of the whole picture.

galwayfa

As soon as game was over i turned over to the darts and justin pipe is playing, cant wait for this night to be over

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Agree. If you looked at Bristol, they actually looked technically better than us. Honestly we are so far behind so many of the top teams and rely on teams making mistakes rather than team or individual brilliance to score goals.
I know. This is why I was dismayed when Jose wanted to make us forget everything LVG taught us. I know it was boring and LVG pedantic, but it was necessary for us to learn. He didn't have to take everything on board, but he should have left the basics in place. Instead, we've gone from one extreme to the next where we can't bloody hold on to the ball for love nor money. That is not acceptable at this level.

I wish there was someone at the club who could have a word with him. This is not a difficult thing to sort out.

IrishRedDevil

Things to take away from this game.

Darmian and Shaw can not be trusted, replacements needed.

Rashford and Martial can't play together.

The hangover from the City game is still real. If we don't get our heads out of our arses and stop feeling sorry for ourselves we're going to find ourselves in all kinds of trouble after the festive period.

Mikhitaryan is still rubbish.
Shaw was decent and should not be mentioned anywhere near dirt bag Darmian.

wolvored

The best team by a mile won, well done to Bristol. A good e.g of totally under estimating your opponent. Well this group of showboat losers can try and make top 4 for next year, as we can really forget about any silverware this year.
Sorry to say it but this one is on Jose, again, no game plan A and definitely no plan B. I know I am being negative but is it me or are we getting worse from game to game?
This. Exactly right. We are regressing slowly but surely. The speed and verve of the opening game has long gone.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Jose: Bristol City were a bit lucky.

dmode

I wouldn't say they were lucky, I think this was their cup-final, whereas some of our players didn't really look bothered.

I think Bristol City deserve the win.
They were lucky we couldn't kill the match, they were lucky to score with two attacking plays, I felt it meant to be that way.

But I'm not judgemental about United, we were ok, sometimes exciting.

I don't blame the coach and the players like many cry babies here.

Blessing in disguise, move on!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That performance was no worse than the one against West Brom that we were apparently supposed to be so positive about.

There is also no level of opponent that Darmian and Blind wont find a way to look out of their depth against.

engulfing

The worthless cup pays a pittance. The revenue (tv and ticket) from playing in 1 useless cup match is actually much less than half a weeks wages of the match day squad. Meaning we make a huge loss to play.

wolvored

That second goal was a gift, it's basic stuff staying with your man. They fought hard but got lucky. We were all over them the last 25 minutes. Doesn't matter now though, your right they took there chances. Unlike us to not be clinical
Yes we had 5 shots on target all game. Disgraceful.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
What the feck is every one wumming about that this cup didn't matter? Mourinho takes this shit seriously and rightly so. It gives a lot of confidence mid season if you win it and frankly this is the only trophy we had a chance of winning.
We have/had no chance. Beating one of City or Chelsea was highly unlikely.

hn4manunited

Just remember this is what we look like without Matic in midfield. We looked so much more stable in midfield when Matic is playing. This reminded me of what we were like before Matic and all saying how much calmer and in control when we first got Matic.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bristol win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Bristol 0:3 Man Utd
  • 27% Bristol 0:2 Man Utd