LC L League Cup Quarter-Final

Bristol City 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 December 2017

cyberman

Too many players needing minutes coupled with dribblers trying to dribble past every player to show off their talent.
It'll be a long time before this happens again

TrueRed79

Luke Shaw played well. Less said about Darmian the better. Shouldn't be losing a game like that. Bristol fully deserved the win.

Zoo

Let’s see how Jose reacts now because the pressure has gone up a few notches.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Even if we had won there are still some major concerns that don't seem to even begin being worked on. That is (for me anyway) off the ball and releasing the ball faster instead of taking 2-3-4 extra pointless touches. Yes we do need better players but there is no fecking way this set of players cannot be coached better and as a result cannot perform individually better.

Marcky411

The best team by a mile won, well done to Bristol. A good e.g of totally under estimating your opponent. Well this group of showboat losers can try and make top 4 for next year, as we can really forget about any silverware this year.
Sorry to say it but this one is on Jose, again, no game plan A and definitely no plan B. I know I am being negative but is it me or are we getting worse from game to game?

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
My only worry is that City look unbeatable and a Treble/Quadropule is on!

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Blessing in disguise with the teams left in. The disguise is shame and humiliation, though.

Godfather

We're never winning a league title while Martial and Rashford are starting, as harsh as that sounds. Just far too inconsistent and don't deliver enough. Compare them to Sane and Sterling who are on the wings at City, they rarely have 2-3 bad games in a short spell. Our two have them on a regular basis.
Pretty much

el3mel

Win : Useless cup that we're using to cover our unability to win big trophies.
Lose : We're pathetic. How the feck can we lose in such a cup.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A) I don’t get Mourinho’s tendancy to throw more and more attacking players onto the pitch. We keep doing this and it never works. Lukaku, Martial and Rashford all up front is very uncomplimentary. It’s three guys who want to run at defenders primarily, all whom are right-footed. Behind them we had three attack-minded midfielders too. First priority should be to control the game with this gulf in class.

B) It’s very frustrating to see a group of far “better” players being out fought and looking less hungry. I get that teams like Huddersfield, Bristol City and Basel will raise their game against United because it is a big occasion, but a top team would use their nouce to kill off the crowd and subdue the opposition. We are bang average when a couple of players are off their game and have too many players that don’t have the base workrate to compensate for it. I don’t expect us to never drop points, but I expect us to never be out fought, to never be out hungered.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
This is the tournament we stand the greatest chance of winning, so don’t really follow you. Priorities have changed? The FA Cup you mean? Because we sure as shit won’t win the CL or the Premier League this season.
Greatest chance of winning?! Playing teams who have played us off the park in the league in the semis...

DickDastardly

Losing an opportunity to face Chelsea, Arsenal or City in two games is a massive loss, be it a micky mouse cup or not.

The players need competition, Mou needs competition, and losing a chance for a trophy is bad.

I'm sure the boss won't be happy, but the problem arises even worse, he is running out of scapegoats, or to be exact, there are just too many players who need a good rinsing.

Like i said before,and always will, Martial and Rashford combo is not working and it never will. They need balance, they dont go well together.

At least Shaw got a whole game under his belt,looked good.
Mickhi out of the pit, who knows...

United Pro

Serious question: Would McTominay have got a single minute of game time these last 2 seasons had he been say only 6ft tall?
I genuinely don't think he would have.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Can’t even say it’s only the league cup since I spent lots of time defending us winning it last season :lol::(
:lol: Yeah it was one of our "2 trophies that made last season decent", as has been brought up by everyone defending Jose's Utd.

Litch

It's not only the players, the coaching is abysmal. Jose not doing himself any favours. Really needs to add to his coaching staff, because our play is so basic. It's not only this game, it's a trend. Surely this is something that is easily remedied?
Agree. If you looked at Bristol, they actually looked technically better than us. Honestly we are so far behind so many of the top teams and rely on teams making mistakes rather than team or individual brilliance to score goals.

Member 90678

Too many players in this team are overated.
Given up on martial,the guy ain't a kid and he' s just not putting in the performances.
Rashford still has the excuse of being a kid but his composure and footballing brain are still a long way off being ready to play regulary.
As for micky. ..........

Sentient Meat

The only good that came from this match is that we won't have to worry about Real Madrid coming after the youngsters this year.

wr8_utd

:'(
Not really arsed about losing that game and happy enough we avoided extra time and a double legged tie against one of the big teams in the middle of some fixture congestion. I just realised we play Leicester away at the weekend and now I'm quite annoyed with how many first teamers played the whole game today.

Fener1907

This is the tournament we stand the greatest chance of winning, so don’t really follow you. Priorities have changed? The FA Cup you mean? Because we sure as shit won’t win the CL or the Premier League this season.
Pursuing a much higher finish in the league and giving it our best shot in the Champions League, as well as looking realistically at the FA Cup. Not having to go through three seriously difficult games to get the least important trophy can help that, so I won't be crying myself to sleep tonight.

alsabi

Side-question, but why were we wearing the grey and white kit tonight, rather than the all-black one? That is our primary away kit and it clashes far less with red and white, as worn by Bristol.

Joseunited

f Mourinho comes out after that defending that performance then he can piss off for all I care.On a personal note I was one of the few o here that thought bringingnback Zlatan was a waste of a player.Did anyone notice the shot that even missed the corner flag:lol:.Feck me we've got some real quality in this squad:eek:

snk123

What the feck is every one wumming about that this cup didn't matter? Mourinho takes this shit seriously and rightly so. It gives a lot of confidence mid season if you win it and frankly this is the only trophy we had a chance of winning.

Thiim

Let's just say I hope the players wanted out of the xup because that was some real shit. I'd like a counter on how many combined minutes Martial and Rashford spent on the ground and then the pass accuracy in the opposition half. The numbers are probably comical.

Fully Fledged

Foolish thing to say, they never won easily. We had 2-3 almost chances/sitters at 1-1, hit the post twice, Lukaku header, Pogba alone with the keeper and Rashford deciding to not pass for Lukaku.

Rashford should be fined and benched for not serving that pass for Lukaku, at least he should be ashamed of himself tonight.
They did. We never looked like winning it.

wolvored

You have to look at the team we put out. Most were starting players over the season. Every single one of them were poor. We scored with a slightly deflected free kick, and we had less shots on target than them 6-5. 5 shots on target against a team a league lower. How the mighty have fallen!

AXVnee7

In the bigger picture i am glad as all the last teams would be a hard game lets sit back and watch are rivals kill each other in the cup.

Some of our players seem to be going a bit arrogant calling for fouls that didnt exist Pogbas card was stupid he needs to take a step back at times could of got a red again today.
And one of our rivals will walk away with a trophy at the end of it.

What advantage do we hope to gain exactly? 3 games is a lot, but a squad such as ours should be able to handle it. The final is usually earlier anyway and winning it can often hand a confidence boost.

It’s not the end of the world by any means but tonight I am bitterly disappointed in a huge wasted opportunity for us.

witchtrials

Oh no, we don't get to play two semi finals in an already hectic schedule.

Can't say I'm bothered. Let Chelsea, City and Arsenal duke it out, we can focus on other things.
Well we're not even close to being good enough to win the league or CL so the only thing we can focus on winning is the FA Cup. Don't really get how chucking away a great chance to get to the semis in one cup so we can concentrate on being in the 3rd round of the other is something to be positive about.

AndyJ1985

Pursuing a much higher finish in the league and giving it our best shot in the Champions League, as well as looking realistically at the FA Cup. Not having to go through three seriously difficult games to get the least important trophy can help that, so I won't be crying myself to sleep tonight.
Losers attitude that is. We're United, we should be fighting on all four fronts.

Jig1234

We were so poor in our finishing. Romero was dreadful all game. Bristol played they're part. Fair play to them. Some players were just terrible. Darmian in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:

Litch

Serious question: Would McTominay have got a single minute of game time these last 2 seasons had he been say only 6ft tall?
I genuinely don't think he would have.
Agree, I sooner play a small Gomes with individual quality than a wooden McTominay that passes the ball backwards or sideways. He would not start in any of the other top 5 teams....

dichinero

It only became a pointless cup because we got knocked out by championship side yet still bang on how important the community shield.

Gotta love football fans:lol:

Morpheus 7

And didn't take them, they did. We didn't deserve to progress.
That second goal was a gift, it's basic stuff staying with your man. They fought hard but got lucky. We were all over them the last 25 minutes. Doesn't matter now though, your right they took there chances. Unlike us to not be clinical

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bristol win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Bristol 0:3 Man Utd
  • 27% Bristol 0:2 Man Utd