g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 26 December 2017

iKeano

4th place is slipping away in front of our eyes.
2-2 at home to Burnley is a poor result whatever way you cut it.

Red4Life_#7

Mourinho should accept blame for getting it completely wrong in the first half with the players and tactics.

We’d have won if we started the game like we did the second half.

Too reactive, not proactive
Disagree. We were stupid giving away 2 setpieces that's all. We controlled the whole game apart from that.

hobbers

Amazing how quickly I've gone from liking everyone in the squad, bar Lingard, to hating everyone in the squad, bar Lingard.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Good game that. Meh result.

Ibrahimovic looks fecking done. He just can't run; understandable but we can't rely on him even as a backup striker.

Lingard, Young, Shaw and Mata best players. Sympathise with Rashford because at least he isn't scared to shoot from distance (everybody else is).

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's the same story all over again. Once again, the players look lost on the pitch and have no idea on how to attack the opposition.

At this point, honestly, I just hope that Mourinho decides to stop trying to set up some attacking brand of football and go full-on with his brand of football just like how Simeone does with Atletico. If it ruffles some fans' feathers, so be it, but I just want this team to have some identity, and I want the players to not look lost when attacking the opposition.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
How did Pope get away with that much time wasting? Dyche will keep getting plaudits for his underdog heroics, but that 2nd half was the pinnacle of anti football. Those 5 minutes added on were just for Popes goalkicks alone. Add on the rest and you'd be closer to 10. No excusing that 1st half performance, we were shit, but they just didn't want to play in the 2nd half. It was all about keeping the ball out of play for as long as possible.

They could have torn us open on the counter with how high we were, but they weren't interested. Cowards.

Matic is the greatest.

minoo-utd

Top four battle again! Wow. What are our excuses are this time. God we have load of shit players.

Betson

Select from the list of excuses below:

1- If it was any other season we'd be #1
2- Not much Mou can do with these players
3- Shit referee

We always have some excuse on here.

The new one is that we didn't care about the match anyway , all the best for us Bristol knocked us out as we did not want to win it out anyway , can't win the league anyway so what is point in wasting our energy on these games.

If/when we get knocked out of the FA cup/ CL they will be deemed as nothing games as well. If we really wanted to we could win everything. but we are just too clever for everyone. of course there is also the mass conspiracy the Referee assocation and the FA have cooked up against us.

Whatever it is it surely can't be that we are just not that good , can it?

Green_Red

When you read some of the comments on here its as if people camt see there are 11 players set up for us to play against and rather than see their gameplan and how and why it worked we just whinge about our players.

It was one of the most onesided games Ive seen in a long time. Burnley did everything hanly possible to hold onto that game.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
God Bless Lingard. Drawing is disappointing but losing is much worse.

Rojo probably shouldn't start for a bit. Just play Blind/Lindelof.

Jose to add to his coaching team - get some attacking impetus. Better to improve that asap - far more important than getting another player in January. I'd even take big mouth Meulensteen until the end of the season provided he ain't doing anything. We need those attackers drilled like crazy.

tony54

A commentator said 'A special effort is needed by MU' with ten minutes to go. He is right, a special effort to get rid of a bunch of very weak, mediocre players. How come all the players from the Bundes league are shite. Why cant we get someone else in the box apart from lukaku, its so pathetic to watch poor lukaku with about 4 defenders around him. We should have got two decent forwards instead of just replacing the injured Ibra. Mourino needs to pull his finger this January.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Coming back from 0-2 down is the only positive. Pogba or no Pogba United offer almost nothing going forward. A rich man’s Burnley against Burnley.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
How did we fight hard exactly? We were extremely lucky considering we only had about 4 chances. This was literally the same game as the infamous 2-2 game against Fulham with Moyes where we were clueless. To be 2-0 down to Burnley in the first place is gutless.
Because we were playing with an intensity and continued to chase the game. Every ball was chased hard, we just lacked knowledge in front of their box.

We actually went two down and got a draw. You think because we didn't win that equals gutless, which is bollocks! Say we scored the winner, would be gutless then?

btw, if we were lucky, then what were Burnley? They had about 2 chances did they not?

Oneunited26

Amazing how quickly I've gone from liking everyone in the squad, bar Lingard, to hating everyone in the squad, bar Lingard.
Its amazing this time 10 years ago we were ripping it up with ronaldo rooney and tevez, fast forward 10 years later lukaku and an ageing zlaten leading the line, with such an uninspiring group of players at times in how they play. We are at OT and none of us can be sure if we will win or lose at OT anything can happen, with the money spent and this is what we getting

Jig1234

It's Lingard FC now. Ibra looks crooked. Should be nowhere near the first team. Lingard should've started. We might have nicked that had he started I think. Punished for a rubbish first half.

Mkhitaryan is terrible. Worst Mourinho signing sadly. Rashford is hopeless at the moment. Under Mourinho he has gone backwards. He is not a winger, will never be good enough. he was a good striker but he never plays there anymore and now we are seeing his development stop.

Surely fans would rather see Rashford play up front over Ibrahimovic?

Ss3bba

Surely these players never prepared for the game. There's no way you can serve up that dross on Boxing Day to your fans. Burnley came for a draw and got it. Team selection was poor and that's on the manager who may have had to board a train back for this game from London. I respect Mourinho for what he's achieved and he's the manager but this is simply not acceptable.

Ludens the Red

We were rubbish, like proper rubbish and have been bar the Leicester game which we ridiculously screwed up anyway since the derby. The reaction to losing that game has been beyond pathetic, there's about 5/6 players literally stinking the place up every time they step onto the pitch, Rojo/Rashford/Zlatan/Lukaku. Too many passengers at the moment, too many players making the wrong decision, too many players hiding, too many look out of shape and condition.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
A commentator said 'A special effort is needed by MU' with ten minutes to go. He is right, a special effort to get rid of a bunch of very weak, mediocre players. How come all the players from the Bundes league are shite. Why cant we get someone else in the box apart from lukaku, its so pathetic to watch poor lukaku with about 4 defenders around him. We should have got two decent forwards instead of just replacing the injured Ibra. Mourino needs to pull his finger this January.
Agreed. We need more players knocking on the door. Mkhi isn't. Ibra isn't. Herrera isn't.

We can strengthen in Jan but we won't solve our problems that month alone.

BulgarianDevil91

Like many of the users around here, I am so not used to seeing United being so clueless when going forward at times. We supposedly have one of the best midfielders and we still go back to the good old crossing from a 32-year old former winger who is one of our best defenders this year and was up until recently regarded as a flop. I am hugely disappointed with our last 3 games, but in my opinion, things are much better than what they were in the last 3-4 years, so that gives me hope for the future. Don't slate the players or the manager, this is a stage in our development. Don't forget we've lost games with SAF in charge, we've lost titles as well.

With a manager such as Mourinho, you would think the team would have next to no concerns when it comes to set pieces, yet time and time again we screw things up when the ball is whipped in from a corner or a foul. It's true that our center back pair has changed an infinite amount of times in the last couple of weeks, but if you're a part of this team, you should always be up to the task, so that shouldn't be an excuse.

As for something positive after this game, I am so happy for Lingard. He is proving us all wrong more and more with every single game.

Reactions: Varun

TheReligion

Abusive
Result aside i think we were good and unlucky. They had 3 shots ffs. We battered them nearly whole game.
My concern is corners. Defending and attacking. Why can't we score from corner with this tall squad? Can't understand that.
More akin to the truth than the other dross posted here.

red4ever 79

We are an absolute shambles in many aspects. The tight strong defensive unit that we relied on last season is now shipping goals. Rojo and Ibra look way below the required standards. We seem to just pump it into the box with no clear game plan. Awful to watch and no where near good enough.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Coming back from 0-2 down is the only positive. Pogba or no Pogba United offer almost nothing going forward. A rich man’s Burnley against Burnley.
Actually, might give us some confidence. It's essential we at least put up some kind of fight. To be honest, previous seasons we'd definitely have lost..

minoo-utd

It's the players, it's the ref, it's the temperature, it's the pitch, it's the league, it's the owners, it's Fergie, it's the ball, it's a plane, it's SuperCross...keep em coming lads.
Then it is what in your opinion?
Jose?

Hed Zitin

Young, Matic and Lingard did well. The rest..

How can you have so much of the ball and do so little with it? Set pieces need to be worked on massively. Every team will target this weakness.

Stubble

Sorry blaming this one on Jose. Lingard has been our in form player recently and is sat on the bench with a slow and out of form Ibra getting the nod for some bizarre reason. I think that was Jose goin for the safe option with height again against Burnley and it was a big mistake, all Ibra and Lukaku do is step on each others toes. Rojo is also out of form and shouldnt have started when we have Lindelof who has been improving and can actually play out from the back. Both mistakes off at half time changed it and gave us a chance but too little to late. I also hope Martial really does have a slight knock and its not another Jose punishment as Rashford is also out of form at the moment so that also probably cost us.

Sgeorge

Jose's fault, pretty much copy and paste of my comments from Leicester game. Though we basically had all of the ball in the second half we attacked like a disjointed team. The major issues I saw was

1. Matic and Pogba as two central midfielders doesn't provide defensive stability or control, Burnely players were able to pick passes from back to front easily in the first half.

2. Disjointed in attack, Jose's frequent rotation and injuries/suspension to a degree has played its part.

3. Mkhitariyan should have started, was lively and had more hunger than other players.

4. Rashford needs to be dropped from the squad, just so that he can refocus.

5. DDG needs to me more commanding.

6. Missed Martial.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmyheals

How with our size are we so terrible a defending set pieces? And with that why do we continue to hit cross after cross when it 2 against 6 in the box? Surely the manager has to do better.

SER19

Select from the list of excuses below:

1- If it was any other season we'd be #1
2- Not much Mou can do with these players
3- Shit referee

We always have some excuse on here.
So what do you want people to say??! The players are shit? Mourinho is shit? Being second is shit? And if we have shit players and a shit manager or either or then what do you want? Mourinho gone? Then say so.

good for you, but don't come on here looking for some sort of cathartic effect of other posters validating your misery, same as lots of others. Do you just want the entire forum to come on and be on the same page and just drone on and spew venom about the manager or players?

As far as I can see most people are saying we weren't good enough, so you want everybody to agree with you or that's it?

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Brave underdogs Man Utd get a hard fought draw against mighty Burnley. Well done.

TRD

Pogba, Mata and Lingard were only players who looked like they want to win. Others were just playing like they were forced to play. Here are some points I noticed from the match. Correct me if I am wrong.

Mata made some runs which went unnoticed by Burnley defenders but our players chose to ignore it.

Matic should not try to look for final pass. Every time he tried to play through ball, it was blocked.

Shaw did well. I think he managed more shots than Lukaku.

Rashford should be dropped for few matches. His crosses were very poor.

Rojo should not be allowed to be a part of this team.

Ibra should not start matches. He should be used as impact substitute.

And we need two players. A playmaker who can make that final pass which we have lacked recently and a winger who can make the runs, with ball, behind opposition players.

Reactions: Sultan

Green_Red

Actually, might give us some confidence. It's essential we at least put up some kind of fight. To be honest, previous seasons we'd definitely have lost..
I was thinking if they could turn it round and win it would really kickstart the season for us. Great to have talent like Lingard to come in and do a job too.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
God Bless Lingard. Drawing is disappointing but losing is much worse.

Rojo probably shouldn't start for a bit. Just play Blind/Lindelof.

Jose to add to his coaching team - get some attacking impetus. Better to improve that asap - far more important than getting another player in January. I'd even take big mouth Meulensteen until the end of the season provided he ain't doing anything. We need those attackers drilled like crazy.
Meulensteen isnt available though. He is in India

SirAnderson

Super poor first half cost us, this was a bad game for Zlat to start and unfortunately hindsight can't get the goals back.

But still, the players were so poor in the first half and I'm regretting losing Morata over Lukaku now. :(

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That clinical edge in front of goal that was so important to us at the start of the season seems to have deserted us recently. Rashford out of sorts, Lukaku poor in practically every aspect of his game, the Pogba + Matic partnership looking iffy, Mata lacking conviction in his play and to top it all off we are beginnng to leak goals at the back. I think it's safe to say we are in bad form. Worry not lads 'n lasses, we'll be back stronger than ever. Form is temporary class is permanent.

The Lingardists need to come out of hiding and admit they were wrong. Jesse Lingard is actual fact a God among men. He walks on water then turns it in to wine. Better than Messi and Ronaldo combined.

He needs a new song and I can think of none more fitting than the following:

"Ohhhhhhhhhh Jesse Lingard
You are the love of my life
Oh Jesse Lingard
I'd let you shag my wife
Oh Jesse Lingard
I want curly hair too"

It just works.

Man of the Match

Jesse Lingard image Jesse Lingard 87% of 600 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings