FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Chelsea 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 18 February 2019

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One of the best team performances we've had since Ferguson.

Lindelof, Pogba and Herrera in particular were outstanding.

The only blot remains, Lukaku was miles off the pace.
He really can't cope with this system at the moment. But defended really well at the set pieces.

APJRed

I've been watching United for over 50 years and that performance was right up there with the best of them. Tactical masterclass from OGS. Aggression, focus, skill and the will to win demonstrated by all the players. Pogba got man of the match but for me that plaudit should have gone to Herrera. It was a stunning contribution from him. He has all the attributes to be captain in my view. On cloud 9 tonight and looking forward to the scousers.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Excellent performance, one of the best for years (especially discipline, hard work, playing to a plan). Don't think Chelsea were shite like some do .... not great agreed but don't think we should under estimate our performance and how we frustrated their key players.

Herrera MOTM for me but nice to see so many players play well as individuals and as part of a team.

Away fans amazing.

hobbers

Lukaku defended well for us but my god, his touch looked even worse tonight than usual.

Every single time the ball went near him, just a horror show. Pogba was also livid with him for most of the game.

Irrational.

Did you see the chat he was having with Pogba after? Beaming smiles on both their faces
I noticed that too. He looks like a genuinely nice guy. Would love him here, and I think he’d complement our current midfielders very well.

Plus he’s under 6 foot, and with no Jose we actually would go for him.

SSSSnake

That was the complete team performance. Everything is clicking into place and it’s clear the players are responding.

Herrera man of the match for me. He was everywhere!

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If only Chelsea had a world class CDM to stop mata and pogba destroying them in the hole...

Melville Red

That was bloody brilliant, super performance after the PSG game.

The only complaint I have is the draw. Away to Wolves.
All I wanted was a home tie against anyone bar City or Wolves. Oh well, if you want to win it etc.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I noticed that too. He looks like a genuinely nice guy. Would love him here, and I think he’d complement our current midfielders very well.

Plus he’s under 6 foot, and with no Jose we actually would go for him.
Yep. But didn't Jose say he'd have bought him for Utd given the chance?

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Great bounce back from Ole’s boys. Say what you like, Ole knows what he’s doing. His man management and tactical switch following the two key injured starting players have been excellent. Wolves away won’t be an easy game but if we are serious about wanting to go to Wembley again as a realistic objective for our best chance of silverware this season, we should be beating them.

redmanx

Fecking great performance after midweek's disappointment. As shite as Chelsea were, we were well worth the win.
Chelsea were shite because we made them shite, that was the best United performance Ive seen since SAF retired, it was like rolling the clock back to the glory years when we out played, out ran, out fought and out thought the opposition, when the players battled for the shirt, the fans and each other and petty squabbles were squashed before they could affect the team, when our players played with joy and gusto, when playing for Manchester United was the pinnacle of a footballers career....thank you Ole for making us believe again!

Ban

Lukaku defended well for us but my god, his touch looked even worse tonight than usual.

Every single time the ball went near him, just a horror show. Pogba was also livid with him for most of the game.
Seems like he reacts about 2 seconds late in most situations.

Blatzo

That was fecking electric.

Keane wrote in his autobiography that the United team in the 90s had to win the physical battle first and foremost and let the class shine through in the last 10 minutes. Obviously we didn't win it in the last 10 minutes tonight but I feel that was the spirit we showed.

It's pretty clear Ole's message is that we're a quality team - work hard, represent the club properly and your talent will do the rest which is a long way removed from Mourinho's "don't feck up" message and it's exactly what we needed.

Shame on anyone who went into this with pessimism. If you can't enjoy being a united fan right now you should probably find another hobby!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did we break the curse of the bridge today? Or was that only applicable to league games?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
'Better' managers with more talented squads have gone and lost to poorer Chelsea teams at Stamford Bridge. I was pleasantly surprised by the win.

MOTM Herrera for me - he was the real leader on the pitch today. His movement, pressing, tackling, interceptions, quick passing and of course the goal - they were all superb. Pogba had a goal and an assist and helped out in defence, too. He set up his own goal with that brilliant through ball to Rashford, who himself never stopped running and showed his dribbling and crossing ability, and his sheer pace. Lindelof, Romero, Shaw solid as usual. Sanchez looked lively when he came on.

My only qualms with that performance would be another poor showing from Lukaku who seems to be struggling to contribute in any form, and the early mistakes from Matic and Young. We need to stop making problems for ourselves.

I was particularly impressed with our defending today - having Smalling back feels good. Sure, Chelsea looked toothless in attack, but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Good reaction after the PSG loss. Hope we nick points off Liverpool on Sunday.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Lindelof, Smalling, Rashford, Pogba were all superb but Herrera was even better. That's one of the most complete midfield performances I've seen since Carrick and Scholes retired.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That was really comfortable, just never felt stressed watching that. Ole is right about an away game next, they will get fantastic support. The players love that.

MetoTTT

Finally a coach has played Mata as a 10, 5 years after his transfer at the age of 30. That's something! Very good and professionnal team performance. I'm pleased to watch our team again. We're far away from ECL and EPL contenders but what a joy to watch this team who is playing with pride and heart.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He’s being utterly wasted at Chelsea and must be very frustrated. With Matic on the wane, you know it makes sense to replace an ex-Chelsea midfielder for another one. :D

Definitely within the realms of possibility. And he’s good mates with Agent P.
Agent P :devil:

Joseunited

Great game of football,every man did their job to perfection(Matic walked a tightrope at times),Rasford unplayable for large parts.
A perfect response after Tuesdays defeat and shows we really are on the right track, fitness levels are also on the up with everyone chasing the ball to the very end.

AJ10

Wasn't expecting a result vs chelsea but that was a really aggressive performance from us, every man and his dog worked their socks off.
Hopefully we see similar performance vs pool and a result, as for the draw.......I am .....Shocked :rolleyes:.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Very good win. Herrera was unreal. Matic very good also. Lindelof and Shaw were immense.

Only Lukaku was poor IMO. Seems to have very poor acceleration. Was very slow getting around when you compare him to Rashford.

Devil may care

Very good in the first half, I thought Ander and Mata really had control of the game and we scored two quality goals with Pogba once more stepping up. I also thought Smalling had a good first half.

In the second half Ander was colossal as Mata drifted out of the game and we couldn't keep the ball well enough, however despite the pressure we didn't give them a sniff between Ander's brilliant tracking and the defensive combination of Smalling and Lindelof, and I also thought Pogba put in a dogged performance in the second half, trying to help Rashford with the running the ball out duties and relieving the pressure a bit.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Masterful performance. But of course, a team managed by Ole will never get the credit it deserves. Shit, how this nonsense frustrates me.

Ander Herrera is a little bit like Ole in that regard. Can never get the full amount of credit he actually deserves. That little dude is a monster of player. fecking brilliant! Give him the captaincy.

Pjisared

The fans were feckin brilliant. Never stoped singing from minute one to the end.
We’ve got our club back. :)

Man of the Match

Ander Herrera image Ander Herrera 66% of 815 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 568 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win