PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 20 October 2018

Irwin99

Draw was probably a fair result but the manner of it is a real kick in the teeth. We look a more threatening team when mata plays, although that wasn’t evident in the 1st half. These sorts of games were what Fred was signed for but he just isn’t getting any game time.

Don’t think Chelsea will win the title on this showing but they will be a force next season if they can get a good striker.

Reactions: Jippy

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolutely. There is definitely life in the team and if we can play this football every game we will climb up the table slowly. There's nothing to be afraid of. We need to find some solutions defensively though because we concede too many goals atm.
Agreed.

nainaisson

Why can't United defend set pieces? Is our problem poor organization or poor centre-backs? Usually I'd say poor organization, but I remember Liverpool being equally terrible at set pieces until they signed van Dijk.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Disagree with Matic Jorginho comparison. We replaced him badly but he started dropping to our bench a lot last season due to his performances. I think Rudi is at par or better than Baily IMO. Smalling is underrated too and is defensively better than Luiz. Agree with the rest.
Rudiger has been pretty much excellent. Bailey could not get a place a back three ahead of Scot McTominay.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
They're playing in a superior system and most of those have a 'consistent' bottom level, not to mention your players are in better form but in terms of very high upper level of performance where they can be breathtakingly good... Hazard is obviously head and shoulders above everyone but I don't think many of your players are say World XI level, or EPL XI for that matter.

De Gea > Kepa
Valencia/Young < Azpi (more solid defensively but going forwards, Valencia offers more in build up)
Bailly > Rudiger (Rudiger is performing much better this season though)
Smalling = Luiz (Smalling is better defensively but Luiz better on ball)
Shaw < Alonso
Matic > Jorginho (Matic at his peak is better player)
Pogba > Kovacic
Mata/Herrera < Kante
Martial > Willian/Pedro
Lukaku > Morata/Giroud
Rashford/Sanchez < Hazard

First team wise.. its pretty much even, but I just think United have more talent in those forward areas, more varied attack whereas you guys are heavily reliant on Hazard for chance creation. I can't see Willian and Pedro winning games or being the main thorn in an opposition like Martial can do at his best, Morata and Giroud aren't much of a goal threat and Pogba will impact games more than Kovacic.
Can't agree with the bolded even if I believe United's squad is not that far away from Chelsea

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If you honestly believe United would be 1st with 15 goals after 9 games, I have some beachfront property in Nigeria to sell you.
I do think that. Defenders cost us 8 points so far at least. Spurs game, brighton game, Chelsea game... all defenders at fault.

mav_9me

not sure emery and sarri make such sense given they just started. poch isn't given any money but not exactly in the same ballpark as united are they. and klopp has bought well so far but if he said he needed a new cm in the summer and the board said you signed ox for 40m you can't have another i doubt the fans would be happy
Other than Pep/city and PSG, nobody has an unlimited budget. You have to manage your squad. He bought Fred for 50m to add to the 5 CM he already had instead of maybe integrating Perreira and getting rid of Fellaini. He almost had to waste more money to get a new LB instead of integrating our already expensive LB. Luckily it has worked out but that's what I'm talking about.

Klopp has managed to integrate TAA and Gomez into his defense which gives him room to buy elsewhere.

minoo-utd

It was really good half of football but against top side sometimes it is not enough to play only 45mins.

Morpheus 7

Devastating, probably a fair result but never easy to take late at the end. Another game with 45 minutes of performing and 45 of not. This isn't a bad side but there is something missing, we can score against anyone but can concede so easy at the minute. In the end United have dropped points they couldn't afford to be dropping. Any other year and you would be happy enough with the draw.

The uncertainty rumbles on, Lukaku had been beyond awful. I don't know what he needs to do to get subbed, never mind dropped. He's offering nothing, Matic not much better. Martial and Mata were real positives. Disappointing, huge game on Tuesday. Still don't think Jose is the man to take us forward. We have a good team but we need to be playing for 90 minutes getting results. We are so far down in the league it's becoming hard to see how top 4 can be reached. Tough times, very head wrecking. When you have a terrible squad you can't do much, we don't. We get offered glimpses of what could be and then it dissappears.

Patrick08

I felt like we were still attacking until the end. No complaints in that regard from me. Just a bit unorganised at the back again for the last goal which was annoying. We had enough chances to get a 3rd goal today.
Well, i was busy during the game and was just checking scores and when i saw the scoreline, that was the first thought in my mind, i am not aware about how it panned out.

MuranoLover

Mourinho has already bought these players?
Well he wanted new CBs and obviously Lukaku is not the one .

People make mistakes , you know , but just few have the courage to say that and replace with new

minoo-utd

We needed to win but we conceded 2 silly goals unfortunately. The gap now is huge. Doubt can we make too four?

Shark

@NotShark
We needed to win but we conceded 2 silly goals unfortunately. The gap now is huge. Doubt can we make too four?
It's only October, ridiculous to start thinking about final positions on the table this early.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Disagree with Matic Jorginho comparison. We replaced him badly but he started dropping to our bench a lot last season due to his performances. I think Rudi is at par or better than Baily IMO. Smalling is underrated too and is defensively better than Luiz. Agree with the rest.
Jorginho is a better player now - just saying talent doesn’t take into account form or fitness, Matic higher level even at this age - he can impact games in a bigger way if in a head to head match up with Jorginho who controls possession but isn’t that penetrative with the ball and not influential defensively.

Rudi right now looks leagues ahead of Bailly but when Bailly first arrived he looked talent wise ahead of Rudi. Under a new manager Bailly can rediscover that form - he’s been written off but same people did that with Shaw and Martial.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Can't agree with the bolded even if I believe United's squad is not that far away from Chelsea
Matic two time PL winner .. as much as I like Jorginho and think right now he’s the better player - in his prime I would want Matic in my midfield.

tomaldinho1

Thought we did ok, remembering how poorly we have played this season we limited Chelsea pretty well. Same problems persist though, with two really poor goals scored against us & very little coming from our CF it's hard to build attacks and we got pretty lucky with our second goal given Alonso was down and the deflection.

If we keep this system, we'll potentially scrape top four but that'll be the best we can hope for. Either need to adapt how we play to accommodate Lukaku more or just drop him because unless we're on the counter we don't look dangerous at all.

Negan

Substitutions killed us.

Mata and Martial were our best players today and instead of pushing for a comfortable lead, Jose subs them off for “defensive minded” players to see the last 22 minutes out! What could possibly go wrong right?

Ugh.

I’m pro-Mourinho but he proved what everyone was saying about him right today. Mata and Martial had no business getting subbed off after that performance. Absolutely baffling decision that was always gonna come back and haunt us.

iKnowNothing

Matic two time PL winner .. as much as I like Jorginho and think right now he’s the better player - in his prime I would want Matic in my midfield.
Does it really matter now though? The Matic we now have is past his peak and will need to be replaced pretty soon.

Patrick220571

I cannot for the life of me understand those substitutions.

We were 2-1 up and looking the more likely side to score again and he takes off our two best players on the day and invites pressure onto us, which eventually told.

If he wanted to take off an attacker, it should have been Lukaku.

haram

We were 2-1 up and looking the more likely side to score again and he takes off our two best players on the day and invites pressure onto us, which eventually told.

He put on an attacker in Sanchez and someone who could keep the ball and make a pass in Pereira. You dont take your number 9 off in that situation. There was nothing wrong with the subs.

Stacks

Thought we were great second half and made me feel there is hope for us yet. Would like to see us maintain the attacking line up for a bit. So close to a huge win but hey ho, we'll get some decent results this year

wolvored

Agree 100%. We gave them the initiative back.

NinjaFletch

They're playing in a superior system and most of those have a 'consistent' bottom level, not to mention your players are in better form but in terms of very high upper level of performance where they can be breathtakingly good... Hazard is obviously head and shoulders above everyone but I don't think many of your players are say World XI level, or EPL XI for that matter.

De Gea > Kepa
Valencia/Young < Azpi (more solid defensively but going forwards, Valencia offers more in build up)
Shaw < Alonso
Pogba > Kovacic
Mata/Herrera < Kante
Martial > Willian/Pedro
Lukaku > Morata/Giroud

First team wise.. its pretty much even, but I just think United have more talent in those forward areas, more varied attack whereas you guys are heavily reliant on Hazard for chance creation. I can't see Willian and Pedro winning games or being the main thorn in an opposition like Martial can do at his best, Morata and Giroud aren't much of a goal threat and Pogba will impact games more than Kovacic.
I've never understood the point of these lists. They've always largely seemed an exercise in organising two teams in a way to give you the result you want. e.g. Why have you compared Hazard to Rashford and Sanchez (presumably meaning our right wing) when he predominately plays from the left for Chelsea?

wolvored

He put on an attacker in Sanchez and someone who could keep the ball and make a pass in Pereira. You dont take your number 9 off in that situation. There was nothing wrong with the subs.
Lukaku was once again the poorest attacker. He could have bought Sanchez on for him, or swapped Martial to the middle and Sanchez left

AngliaRed

I’m happy with the draw even though we should of won.

I’m just happy Valencia and Jones are nowhere near the team.

Ram1fy

De Gea > Kepa
Shaw < Alonso
Pogba > Kovacic
Mata/Herrera < Kante
Martial > Willian/Pedro
Lukaku > Morata/Giroud

Such analyses work for high scoring games like basketball but not for football where one player can make or break the game.. All else equal, Hazard being much much better than Rashford and Smalling being only slightly better than Luiz is not the same thing.. this means they are as susceptible to conceding but much more likely to score..

Greck

It's not the subs that killed us, it's surrendering possession and sitting deep. We suck at parking the bus and often concede within minutes of doing so. Unfortunately we aren't great at controlling possession under Jose either so seeing out the game by holding the ball isn't much of an option as well

Treble

Our players were very aggressive in the second half, it was great to see. Even Mata tackled like mad :lol:

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 387 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Chelsea 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Chelsea 3:0 Man Utd