PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 20 October 2018

redpatron

He didn’t even jump for the Luiz header at the end which hit the post and led to their 2nd goal.....

We need 2 new centre backs and then we might see some attacking football.
don't get me started on his horrible leadership. the defensive problems start with smalling and his peabrain iq, he can't organize a line, he can't remember assignments, too much of coward to take their best attacking set piece player. We are giving up goals on set pieces and that starts with the lead cb. Chelsea could of easily had 3 or more today on set pieces.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People having a go at Jose for the subs are just dumb idiots. Simple as that. Every manager worth his salt would have made similar subs in that situation. Also we didn't concede because they were able to play through us, we conceded from a deep cross the likes of which our defense should have cleared.

Absolutely gutting way to lose 2 points but overall it was a positive performance.

edcunited1878

He didn’t even jump for the Luiz header at the end which hit the post and led to their 2nd goal.....

We need 2 new centre backs and then we might see some attacking football.
Smalling was blocked off by Giroud and could have been called for a foul, but it was a powerful header. Scrappy goal and too many players ball watching.

Prodigy24

You just knew how the game would end. So disappointing to concede at the last seconds and totally forget how to defend. Really gutted with the result, we deserved to win!

Lukaku is becoming a big issue and Jose has to figure it out. Offers very little outside of the penalty box and it was infuriating to watch him put zero effort for the team in the final minutes.

The scenes at the end is nothing new with Chelsea. They are well known for having awful fans and cnuts around the club and in management.

Hope this fired us up ahead of the game vs Juventus.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Devoid of ideas in the first half but very good second half apart from conceding the goal in the last minute.
Still reactive instead of proactive.

Why do we continue to wait until something goes wrong before we start playing. Same every match, sometimes we recover, sometimes we don't.
Tactics.

Martial and Mata most impressive.

Alex1982

Gutted.

Was watching with my partners soon who is a Liverpool fan and just for once in the last few years thought I’d have one up on him.

But no.

Love Mata as a player. Quality.

Can see why José wanted new defenders in the summer though!

InfiniteBoredom

Not really, it would still have been a bad and needless decision. There is no upside in taking Martial off and keeping Lukaku
Pushing Martial to CF if you are that arsed about tracking back. At least the ball was going to stick once or twice.

Lukaku to Mourinho will be Rooney to LvG.

Drainy

Then he should have bought a better defender in the first place or improve Lindelof. Can't just keep buying defender after defender. Bailly is also his buy. There is more to managing/coaching than just buying ready made defenders. Like maybe not just sit deep and play defense against attack.
Yeah, because he is in charge of recruitment...

Btw, how many fullbacks and goalkeepers did city get through before they were happy?

Sometimes things don't work out- you either accept that and move on to the next thing, realise things need more time to come good and take temporary steps, or work with what you've got and accept the consequences. The basics of any kind of management.

The club went against his recommendation to get an experienced defender and it's cost us points. That is on them.

You can criticise the play style all you want, but would you seriously trust these defenders to play in an open system?

Devil may care

We started out to contain and we were doing ok but then we gave away a poor set piece goal and didn't offer much in attack. The second half was a different story, we didn't pepper them or anything but I thought Mata, Martial and Pogba started to really cause them problems and Lukaku livened up in his movement even if his touch and play were still erratic.

Over the full game a draw was probably a fair result,
it was just losing the goal so late that was disappointing. I don't think there was anything we could have done about the equalizer, it was a good cross and header, a super save from De Gea and Barkley just reacted quicker than everyone else and scored.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Draw in reality is a good result, and I would have taken that before the game started. Though gutted that we let the game slip. We really need to get better at defending set pieces and high balls into the box. We seem to concede from those all the time.

All up, that second half was really entertaining, and we actually played some good football. It baffles me why we don't do that more often, as it seems we do nothing for ages and look utterly clueless and then just switch and suddenly we can play good attacking football. The lack of consistency by the players is just frustrating.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The moment we sit back we concede. Wonder when Mou will ever learn
How many of posters will write this? Subs were excellent. Chelsea didn't create anything. But Jose expects that his defenders can clear hoof balls. But they can't. Because they are shit. And again they cost us points. I am sick of this.
With two world class defenders we would be twice better than we are now.

Jojo <3 Mou

So close.

We need the players to continue to fight and give their best when on the pitch. That's all I ask.

Dissapointed but hopeful. :)

Trizy

It is not about luck , they wanted that last ball far more than our players did.
You can be as hungry as you want in the box but during a ping-pong session where the ball is going every where in the box, when it lands to you (Barkley) kindly, that my friend is luck.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Deliberate provocation
Bailey’s thinking “oh you don’t want to be doing that”

Rojo is trying to measure up if he could clear those three rows of seats in one jump so he could have a chew on the guys throat.

stu_1992

Bitterly disappointing end to the game. We deserved more. I would have taken a draw before the game, but not in the manner it panned out. Shame the end will overshadow a good game.

FrantikChicken

That's the key. 2-2 at Stamford Bridge is a fine result (even though the manner in which we conceded at the death was questionable). It's the losses at places like Brighton and West Ham that are infuriating.
They are, I agree. There's no doubt the team is going through a very difficult time. However, most importantly for me, I think it's clear that they still believe in their manager. If it was a Moyes situation where obviously nobody gave a feck, I'd feel it was hopeless. This team is fighting to turn it around though. Let's hope they can do it.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Maybe they don't have the quality? If not at least show some fight and pride. Up until the last two games we have had neither. Funny enough all carry on at the end might actually fire us up even more.
Well why are we paying exorbitant prices for them if they might not have quality? We are a woefully run football club. Look at some of the rubbish that we are paying fortunes for. Shaw has five decent games and gets £150k a week for five years. We are a soft touch.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
People having a go at Jose for the subs are just dumb idiots. Simple as that. Every manager worth his salt would have made similar subs in that situation. Also we didn't concede because they were able to play through us, we conceded from a deep cross the likes of which our defense should have cleared.

Absolutely gutting way to lose 2 points but overall it was a positive performance.
Everything is spot on here. But people just don't want to hear it

RedCurry

Does not feel as bad as it should after that. But that’s maybe because I saw our team stand up and show something today. After going down, we recovered well mentally and grew into the game. Martial seems to be getting his confidence back and he will be immense for us I feel. A performance like today’s would win us most away games in the league so there’s enough to be positive about today.

Kopral Jono

A robbery if there was one, no idea where they got the six minutes from. We need to improve defensively pronto but very proud of the team tonight. I've missed that from us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Baily had a good first 3 months. Since then, he's been injured/average/terrible.
Baily is living off of past reputation (of only 3 months).
Think if we had even got one experienced class CB in it would made a difference. Someone who can also organise a defence. Our defence looks all over the place sometimes. Just think if we were secure at the back we would commit more people forward.

Canagel

You can't have a go at him for the subs but it's his fault we were not there in the 1st half. Chelsea were there for the taking but we only caused problems in the 2nd half.

buckooo1978

annoying that we didnt start playing until the second half but that was a pleasing response

where would we be if Mourinho had shown more faith in Martial in January?

an individual mistake from Pogba but we lack a leader at the back to dominate our box. Set pieces cost us today

Well, mixed feelings here. We usually lose at Stamford Bridge, so a point isn't a bad result; I would have taken it before the game and certainly at half time. It feels like a kick in the nuts because we conceded a goal in the 97th minute.

At half time, I thought it was game over and that we would lose by two or three, but we responded well second half, which is credit to the team. Mata and Martial were particularly good second half. Yet again our defensive weaknesses were exposed; we just can't continue letting in so many goals. The first half was terrible and you have to wonder why we only seem to play for one half so often.

Definitely feels like two points thrown away right now, but a draw is better than I expected today. Lukaku and Matic need dropping and resting, IMHO.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 387 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Chelsea 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Chelsea 3:0 Man Utd