PL W FA Premier League

Everton 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2015

Riz

Best performance of the season. It's fecking difficult to pick a man of the match as we had top perfoamances all over the pitch.

Dave was typical Dave with that Lukaku save. Smalling was a beast yet again and Jones and Rojo did well on their returns, Darmian also looked fresh. Schneiderlin bossed the midifeld and Martial wasn't phased playing on the wing, had Coleman on toast in the second half. Thought Rooney was alright and took his goal well whilst Herrera in #10 was fantastic.

MOTM between Smalling, Schneiderlin and Herrera.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Excellent performance, pressed well, defended well and played with a lot of speed, something we haven't done much of this season. Need to stick with 4-3-3 now

DevilRed

Lots of good performances but I liked Lingards performance. I think him and Martial in the second half was great on both wings. Jessie kept it simple and showed good quality. I think he's a great option for us in rotation with Mata as he is a quick lad. Martial thrived in the space and has the legs to still get into goal scoring opportunities. I think our width was quality today
Martial was definitely getting past coleman at will in the second half. Especially towards the end. Amazing close control and could have set up at least 2 more goals had we been more clinical.

We have a real superstar in the making. Him and Depay will be the future of the club.

RetroStu

Why does it take a very bad loss for us to actually play some decent stuff?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Lots of good performances but I liked Lingards performance. I think him and Martial in the second half was great on both wings. Jessie kept it simple and showed good quality. I think he's a great option for us in rotation with Mata as he is a quick lad. Martial thrived in the space and has the legs to still get into goal scoring opportunities. I think our width was quality today
I agree with this. Lindgard showed a very mature and simple football. He was running pointlessly and kept the ball very cleverly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Very pleased by United beating Everton. United has struggled at Everton in recent years. A 3-0 win at Everton, off the back of a really bad showing at Arsenal, is something to smile about.

Chris Smalling was immense. I can't remember him making any mistakes. That must give the players in front of him so much confidence. The entire back line looked so much better with proper defenders staffing it. Plus, despite the fact neither Darmian or Rojo are attack minded, our full backs still managed to get forward to support. Rojo's cross for Herrera's header.. :drool:

Today we saw how good we can be if we play a proper midfield three, which mixes energy, composure and aggression. Herrera always adds to our game, with his dynamism, pressuring and quick play, but when you add that to the Schmidfield it sets us up so well. Van Gaal should stick with this combination.

Good to see Rooney score. Very well taken finish. Hope he kicks on from this. Martial looked a bit lost first half. Once Martial reconciled himself to playing on the wing though, he had Coleman on toast. Such a fabulous player.

Varun

Staff
Excellent win. Dominated from start to finish. Great to see.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Very satisfied after that! I just hope Memphis was watching and learning from Martial how he really should be bossing the wing!

Ainu

Btw Lukaku. Would anyone take him here? I think he looks brilliant. Untackleable at times
He's not suited to our system. He's generally excellent when he has space in front of him but how often do you get that at club like United? His close control and passing is not nearly good enough, that's often painfully clear when he plays for the national team. He'd be very frustrating to watch here.

LLMU

A very convincing performance especially the midfield. Martial is really showing what a player he is with his close control and body strength.

Sad Chris

I'd like to take a moment to note the ref's performance was great if you think great is a synonym for shit

legball

The players stood up to be counted today. LVG picked the right players, and deployed the right formation/system and the players took it up from there, we absolutely controlled the game.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
LVG deserves huge credit. He got the formation, tactics and team selection spot on.

Im guessing this is exactly the kind of football his philosophy can produce when delivered according to instructions. Despite the odd mishap (Arsenal), its very evident that his squad is now quickly becoming attuned to his philosophy and will only get better and better at delivering it as the season progresses.

I'm quietly confident that we are now seeing the stage 1 of the post SAF revolution.

djembatheking

Really enjoyed that , played well , Herrera was excellent with great movement and mobility . Smalling is a feckin beast .

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I actually prefer Martial up front. But if that means Herrera at no.10 and no more Memphis for now, then yes please.

Devil may care

Good performance from the team, the midfield 3 in particular were excellent and Smalling and Rojo really took the Everton attack by the throat.

The front 3 could have been sharper but Martial worked his way into the game and looked our most dangerous attacker in the second half.

WyoManU

Solid performance. Happy we showed energy and cohesion for the full 90. Defense looked organized. Smalling was immense yet again. Full credit to Rojo and Jones for playing so well with such little game time before. Darmian was also quietly good.

I am not going to go over the top like many posters here though. Although it was a satisfying result I still think we showed a lot problems. Mata still doesn't do nearly enough for me. So hard to know what to do with him though when he has it in him to turn a game around with one move. But, over most of the game he still just isn't involved enough. I though Herrera was good, certainly better than Rooney in that hole, but still not an ideal #10 for me. We really need someone willing/able to turn and go right at the defense. Pretty much every time we get it in the hole we just pass it out wide or back. That being said, I was very pleased with Herrera and certainly think he deserves a run of games.

I also thought we gave the ball away too much in front of our back four. On another day we may well have conceded from a few of those errors. I love Martial, but when he was out wide today he left a lot of space behind. If he is gonna play out there he needs to learn to defend better. There are a lot of marauding backs in the BPL that will exploit spaces he left inadequately covered. The boy always looks a threat going forward though. I do wish he had gone after Coleman more after that first yellow, but he was playing fairly composed football and we were winning away at Everton so he can be forgiven for being sensible.

My MotM is a tough one. I think Smalling edged it for me.

On a side note...Lukaku is a big handful of a player but I can't stand how easily he goes down and how he always cries about every situation. I respect tough players who play the physical game, but you need to man up and accept when you get knocked back yourself.

Moonred

Very good performance. Multiple players played well and never looked threatened. Would have loved to have seen Martial up front at the later stages at least. But no complaints.

Crashoutcassius

Brilliat performance vs a good form side away. Brilliant. We might be hitting form at exactly the right time again !

Schwei/Carrick with Sneids and Herrera is a dream midfield 3 I think, honestly don't think there'd be a better midfield in the league if they were given a run

looks like martial rooney and mata have enough about them but could certainly improve there

Going back to 4 defenders at the back this week was welcome to me, we looked quite comfortable defending crosses and set pieces

Also delighted that LVG rotated memphis at the right time. He needs to go away for a week or two and look at how to improve his game, and realise he has to work harder.

Left wing stunts martial a bit which is annoying but if rooney must play then I personally prefer it like this

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Only catched second half so will watch the first later but very happy with that today. And post match thread is dead, a sure sign we won and played well.

Raw

No Blind and Memphis next game?

We looked a much better side today.
I can see them both starting actually, it's CSKA Moscow then City after that so I can see LVG resting some of the players that played today for the derby.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Guess not everyone saw the game as most of us did.

Get In Scholesy

Very good performance from us today, particularly at Goodison where he haven't looked comfortable for a few years now. Martial was great and Herrera was MOTM. De Gea pulled some great saves and Smalling looked in control. It was great to see Lingard come on as well. Very satisfying performance to but the Arsenal loss behind us.

Big week ahead.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 812 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Everton 1:2 Man Utd