PL L FA Premier League

Huddersfield Town 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 October 2017

Moonred

We create nothing. Zero urgency combined with individual error. Poor football throughout, devoid of basics like passing with composure. Not even a fight from 90% of them. Deserved loss.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
lost all our momemtum from before the international break. Losing Fellaini and having to rep,y only on Herrera has cost us in the middle, which means our transitioning has been non existant all week.

Add to that the ineffectiveness Mhkitariyan and Mata who are supposedly our senior playmakers, and we're left with a bang average team.

Despertaly need the likes of Fellaini and Bailly back into the team to provide strength and Pogba for his creative link play.

Not much else Mourinho can do right now.

CallyRed

Shower of shite. Historically we seem to struggle with at least one newly promoted team per season, but that was crap.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Frustrating to watch. I really didn't want to give player ratings after that. Let alone submit my MOTM. Just no idea where to start.

Fracture90

Pathetic. We don’t look like league winners. What annoys me most isn’t the personal errors that led to Huddersfields two goals, but the lack of effort to turn it around. Why is the plan B to hoof the ball? It has been like that ever since Fergie left. We don’t create anything while in hoof-mode, and we haven’t done that for the past 4 years either. It’s just absolutely pathetic. City can have their title, we don’t deserve it.
I believe that's both plan A and B.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Meh... feck off Huddersfield.

Hopefully this one of those fcukups that we bounce back from. We've had results like this before and the wheels haven't fallen off. Form is a worry tho :nervous:
I agree but we've been pretty shit for three games now and it's getting a bit hard to take. tumescent football all round, which isn't what any of us want to see.

Can7onA

We seem to be really leggy and labouring about our football, without Pogba there's no urgency.

Shower of shite today again.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why does every new player have to be compared to the ones that worked out? There have been far more that didn't work out. People always say but De Gea, but Evra, but never but Kleberson, Bellion, Miller, Obertan, Bebe etc.

At the moment Lindelof looks less fit for the Premier League than the lovechild of Mikael Silvestre and William Prunier!
You could have chosen any other players than Sylvestre tbh, he was decent for United for a while.

Manny

Grammar Police
This is what freaking happens when you take an in form team and make them play for 0-0 at Anfield. Everything gone after that.

Bad coaching and not nearly enough performances from the likes of Lindelof, Herrera, Smalling, Mkhi et al.
Agreed. You can't keep asking attackers to turn it on and off.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I honestly don't know what to say after that performance. Our attack lacks so much creativity. We try to play it through the middle, despite lacking that player that can really dominate and unlock a defence. Our wingers are far too inconsistent - well, winger, because we only ever have one on the left hand side. On the right there's just a gaping hole where a winger should be - and our crossing, which is probably our best weapon, is erratic to say the least.

I know it sounds like a knee jerk reaction, but we're not going to be challenging for the league this year. There are far too many problems in this squad.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The meltdown in here will be amusing. But on this occasion, I think it is warranted.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yous can’t blame Rooney today...

Maybe it’s time our fans woke up to the fact Herrera is utter garbage.
Ive maintained this for a long time. He is POTY material for a team who finishes 6th, and not for an elite football team.

slir32

No Pogba we don't create no Bailey we concede goals. Our squad players are pretty poor.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Pathetic performance. The boys should be ashamed of what they produced out there.

Rashford played well, Lukaku showed spirit and Smalling was alright. The rest were poor, very poor.

SiamDevil

Definitely poor, but that would've just resulted in a 0-0 at worst. Mata and Lindelof are the ones to blame for the lost.

Thiim

- Smalling is still probably trying to settle down for the shot.
- Just write off Lindelöf.
- We need fellaini back for these tactics to work
- sun rises, sun sets, Jones picks up an injury.
- Buy a left back.
- Don't play Lingard unless every other option is injured
- Herrera has regressed quite substantially from the last couple of seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

NK86

We were hurt badly by two school boy errors.

We have a VERY weak midfield.

We have too many average players.
And a coach who cannot instill better attacking tactics or improve our attacking players.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We've played one negative game this season, one. Not sure its Mou thats the cockwomble.

The fact we've been shit since because of the injuries kind of makes me glad we didn't go for it at Anfield.
That’s bollocks. Last three games we’ve been negative. It’s the same shite as last season.

mark_a

It's the mentality that bothers me. I accept individual errors in attacking moves if they're trying to play creatively, but if your idea of chasing a lead is 20 minutes of crosses and long passes then that's on the manager not the players.
Yes, I think we're clearly lacking Pogba & decent ideas and supply from midfield. When we get the ball near the box, we're trying to thread the ball through the eye of a needle, but against gritty defending sides like that it's just not going to work. We need to be more direct. Look at our wins this season, how many goals came from direct football? Pretty much all the key ones.

The mentality is of huge importance and that caves in way too easy.

Ref was poor today, 2 of their players did enough to have gained 2 yellows. That's neither here nor there, and if we're playing well we should have the mentality to carry on regardless. It just seems we end up having "one of those days" and the mentality slips.

The Hilton

More accurate scoreline would be Huddersfield 0:-1 Man Utd. Even at the end when we had chances all of the players were ball watching and missed clear opportunities.

ravi2

Today shows how far we still have to go. I said it before but my hope this season is for us to compete with City, if we finish in the top 3, have a good run in the UCL and win a cup i'd consider it a good season. People told me thats rediculous, that we should be aiming to win everything but today shows how far we still have to go. We've made good progress since Jose came but we're still 3-4 players away from winning anything.

Mata and Herrera are the darlings of United but the fact is neither are good enough. Herrera has no real quality except to get about the pitch, not to dissimilar to Fletcher. I feel for Mata because he isnt a winger but hes not even our best number 10. When you're trailing behind the likes of Fellaini and Miki for your preferred spot its time to call it a day. Young is a good make shift LB but we really need someone who can play that position as he does a job there but isnt great.

The squads made some good progress but we are missing 2 attacking players (ala Sanchez and Guizman) and 2 fall backs. I dont share everyones doom and gloom but today was a bit of a wake up call to how far we still have to go.
I feel the general consensus is that we needed a RW and LB and we havent addresed neither of those issues yet.

PieCrust

Mata can be a wonderful footballer, but if Jose continues to just waste him playing outside, what's the fecking point? Laughable that Lingard is a preferred #10 to Juan.

Martial can go for all I care. He's a brilliant talent, but won't ever reach his potential because of his attitude. Sign a young star like Pulisic and ship Matial out. Hell, I'd even take Persisc over Martial at this point; a player that actually can accomplish something instead of playing a player based only on potential.

Lindelof, I feel for him. He made a comic error, but clearly just isn't ready. Blind should have gone on for Jones instead. Although I can see why Jose gave him a shot against the might that is Huddersfield, Lindelof shouldn't really play again until next season in the league.

Why is Valencia captain? When Martial got into trouble early on, Valencia was nowhere to be seen, either talking with the officials or going over and calming / helping Martial out. Does he still not speak English? Honestly, I like Valencia a lot, but if he cannot represent the players on the pitch, he shouldn't be captain.

I feel the general consensus is that we needed a RW and LB and we havent addresed neither of those issues yet.
I keep harping on it, but we didn't even consider a LB this past summer, which I will always find shocking. I can almost see why we left RW the way it is (tried to sign a few, just didn't work out) but Jose refuses to play Martial and Rashford together and instead wants to push a #10 in Mata out there. Lingard isn't good enough to be a routine starter; he's just squad material.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yous can’t blame Rooney today...

Maybe it’s time our fans woke up to the fact Herrera is utter garbage.
I don't think he's garbage but I think he's utterly redundant in a team with Matic in it. He's too defensive and not good enough at linking midfield and attack. Arguably, Herrera's best qualities come from what he doesn't do on the ball (breaking up play etc), not what he does with it.

Fahad Jawaid

We need to get some wingers and wingbacks fast. Young and Valencia despite being former wingers, does not beat their man once to get a ball in, and the less said about wingplay of Mata and Lingard the better. Young and Valencia need everything perfect to get a ball in.

How easy is to nullify Valencia, just show him inside and he will keep passing it to the center backs and Young needs a perfect set up with time and space and on his right side to actually get a ball in. Miki, Lingard and Mata the earlier we sell them the better and find some players who actually have some balls in them.

Peanut Butter

Why does every new player have to be compared to the ones that worked out? There have been far more that didn't work out. People always say but De Gea, but Evra, but never but Kleberson, Bellion, Miller, Obertan, Bebe etc.

At the moment Lindelof looks less fit for the Premier League than the lovechild of Mikael Silvestre and William Prunier!
Why write Lindelof SO soon though?

Some of our fans are bonkers.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Most Fergie teams had plenty of great players but had bottle even when things weren't working to plan. (TBF, the 70s and 80s teams had fight too).

We've only got a few top class players, plenty of 7/10 players but the lack of fight is awful.

No desire to bust a gut for every tackle, chase players down, make a run to help a teammate. So half-arsed, lethargic.

No strong captain to set the tone, no "on field" captains, too many players in comfy zones. I'd rather have a team of David Mays, Phil Neville's, Nicky Butts, John O'Shea's, etc .... might not have won but unlikely they would have give up.

Sh!te. Hope Jose says they can all cancel their plans for tomorrow and get to the ground to watch it all back then do extra training.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This time next week, Spurs will have beaten us and Liverpool will have thumped Huddersfield. Been waiting for the bubble to burst. We are still carrying far too much dead weight: Lingar, Miki, Smalling to name but three. Do Barca really want Herrera? Well bye the; been saying for months he is too easy to ease off the ball. How many shots have we had on target since kick off at Anfield?

minoo-utd

Ok let's be logic here, we can't win the league with players like Lingard, Young, Mkhitaryan, Lindelof in the team we just won't. Jone needs to be off not because his quality but ffs one tackle and he is out injured we need a solid replacement and what Jose saw in Lindelof IDK, very sad day looks like another top four fight AGAIN really had enough, we need new players with characters who can lift the team up, we need a L.B and a number 10. IDK maybe I over react but Huddersfield for god sakes !!

Son Of Sam

We were hurt badly by two school boy errors.

We have a VERY weak midfield.

We have too many average players.
Huddersfield goalkeeper assisted their 2nd goal. That was how bad we were today. We just gift-wrapped two goals to Huddersfield - they didn’t even have to sweat for it.

Lingard, Mata & Lindelöf should never play for Man Utd again. Mata was atrocious. He had lots of time to control that ball when he received it but he just had to fall apart like a weakling.

mark_a

We were just lacking direct, imaginative, positive football. No-one seemed to be able to take the initiative. Really flattered Huddersfield - how hard did they actually have to work for that?!

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 479 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Huddersfield win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Huddersfield 0:2 Man Utd
  • 25% Huddersfield 0:3 Man Utd