PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 28 November 2015

prath92

Herrera hasn't been consistently good at all. He's had a lot of poor games this season.
He isnt Iniesta. He is going to have bad games like every player. He has also been top notch in many games

markhrad

I really feel sorry for Martial but I knew that he would suffer with the lack of creativity of his attacking partners. I am not surprised by Rooney's performances, Mata is the one that upsets me the most. Over 90 minutes he does very little and on the rare occasion that he actually contributes to an attack it may result in a goal from him or assist and then everyone says he is great. The man hobbles around the pitch not really doing anything. A side pass here and a back pass there but all he ever wants to do is get into the box. When Carrick, Schweinsteiger or even Smalling are looking to pass to someone he is nowhere around. When he is on the wing he does not link up or support our Right back.
What hurts most is that he often does a one-two with someone, in an advanced position, on the wing and then leaves them there double-teamed with no-one to pass to while he runs into the box.

kps88

LVG saying Rooney was taken off due to getting a knock.

Spoony

The People's President
We were bad, really bad. There is no question about that and our impotence up front is really bad for a mid table club, let alone Manchester United. What's wrong with what he said is the cliché idiotic narrative that it's because we pass too much. Barcelona pass more than we do, Bayern and even Arsenal but they still manage to more than create chances. Our problem is that we are not passing fast enough or moving well enough. The media hates this emphasis on possession and continental style football that they started this narrative that it somehow is related to us being s*** up front and it's annoying when fans buy into it.
No, I said it was pointless passing. Not that we passed too much. Again, you're angry and flapping which is totally understandable.

Last edited:

askabob

Rooney getting subbed was a major positive.

We should have won that though, suffocated them in the second half but our play in the final third was poor.
Even Rooney being subbed was because of a knock. Van Gaal said he would have subbed Martial otherwise.

Kopral Jono

I wouldn't call that a good performance but it wasn't as bad as people are making out. We conceded a soft goal but for the most part we managed to comfortably contain Vardy and Mahrez. Attacking-wise we also didn't look that bad despite chances being few and far between.

More than anything else, what worries me most is our lack of urgency. I thought tonight's game was there for the taking.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Saw the whole game and it got so predictable around 75 minutes that I was joining in with Utd fans: "Attack, attack, attack". :lol:

Crackers

greasy ginfers
tumescent slow shite. I was firmly on the keep LVG side, but this is a bit of an eye opener.
He's far too stubborn and unwilling to change stuff. Gag

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Personally I would have taken a draw away to them after a midweek game!
Me too. I was just commenting on the stats as everyone moans that our opposition always has more shots etc etc:lol:

Sigma

carragher talking complete sense about how van Gaal waits for that 1 chance and that's not what should be waiting for, we should be pommeling them with chances.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Me too. I was just commenting on the stats as everyone moans that our opposition always has more shots etc etc:lol:
I think most would have taken a draw, but we could have had more if we had bothered. He is too satisfied with getting draws. We should be going out to win and I'm not sure he sends them out with that message.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
That performance was so good that my eyeballs exploded, my brain melted through my eardrums and my lungs escaped through my nasal cavity. Truly a sign of great things.

prath92

I think most would have taken a draw, but we could have had more if we had bothered. He is too satisfied with getting draws. We should be going out to win and I'm not sure he sends them out with that message.
LvG and Bastian sounded disappointed at the draw in the presentation. Rainieri was satisfied though

RedorDead21

People are busy thinking about the name of the club we are against.....they were top, we were at their ground on the back of a midweek poor result. Insane that having watched us all season fans expect us to suddenly walk over them. They had one opportunity which they created and wasnt gifted and they scored. Apart from that we were in control. We need to open up teams better but thats a Rooney issue which everyone knows about. If Rooney is Silva then we look alot better.

OJKernow

The result in itself isn't bad,away to a tough and in form Leicester side, thought we started fairly bright and ironically their goal came from us taking a risk and committing players to the attack.

Felt we went right off the boil after that and it was the same old story of lots possession and territory but nothing creative in the final third.

Frustrating but not exactly a bad point.

BFS and Smalling again were beasts.

Member 39557

Chris Smalling is class.

Just a shame that we can't create anything in front of him.

prath92

michael owen sounding extremelly disappointed when he says"when other team plays badly, they lose. When united play badly they dont lose".

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
To think of it, I thought performance wise we did better than vs PSV and did well to keep good control of the match for most of the time. It wasn't a bad performance. It was decent performance against a team which is doing very well.
The disappointing bit is the lack of urgency and ambition which is clear to everyone. No idea how we are going to overturn that. This keeps us from winning games which we easily can. We have drawn 4 league games this season. Had we been more ambitious and say lost 1 and won 1 of those 4 with two others being draw, we would have been a point better. Doubt LvG will take that approach though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To think of it, I thought performance wise we did better than vs PSV and did well to keep good control of the match for most of the time. It wasn't a bad performance. It was decent performance against a team which is doing very well.
The disappointing bit is the lack of urgency and ambition which is clear to everyone. No idea how we are going to overturn that. This keeps us from winning games which we easily can. We have drawn 4 league games this season. Had we been more ambitious and say lost 1 and won 1 of those 4 with two others being draw, we would have been a point better. Doubt LvG will take that approach though.
I just wish one game we would seriously put somebody under the cosh. For a whole game.

Member 39557

I audibly moaned at the end when Memphis ran down the wing and Bastian turned around and ignored him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Same again.

We offer very little anywhere, pass around the half way line then eventually lose the ball, then the opposition attacks and immediately looks like scoring.

We're poor in both attack and defence but it's neutralised by LVG's methods, hence us conceding few as well as scoring few and our league position.
We certainly don't have an incredible defence like some say. They get pulled around and torn apart when teams actually attack.
Smalling and De Gea are exceptions.

SalfordRed1960

Interesting these 'same old' and 'Leicester are shite comments' the exact same thing we heard when we made City look ordinary too.

Only time will tell with Leicester, but if they do keep up how they've started the season a 1-1 draw away to them won't be a bad result.
If United stuck 10 players behind the ball and let Leicester have 71% possession and we then muster up 3 attacks to get a point, I doubt there would be many raving about the performance.
When you see the effort that Martial put in to beat people and move about, it is obvious it is not tactics that is the problem, it is the execution by certain players. Even when Depay came on I got the impression he really doesn't understand the need to get a goal. Young and Darmian really did waste the opportunity to attack on so many occasions. Schwienie and Carrick do so much good, but really do slow the game down far too much and do not support the front line.

Spock

I'm not too disappointed that we managed only a draw. Leicester City have been in white form of late and we have not. Still, "on paper" we should have destroyed them.

Disappointment lies primary in the horror performances of Rooney and Darmian.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
People are busy thinking about the name of the club we are against.....they were top, we were at their ground on the back of a midweek poor result. Insane that having watched us all season fans expect us to suddenly walk over them. They had one opportunity which they created and wasnt gifted and they scored. Apart from that we were in control. We need to open up teams better but thats a Rooney issue which everyone knows about. If Rooney is Silva then we look alot better.
Yeah I agree. Look a lot of us are taking for granted that the team is under a lot of pressure - and pressure affects performances in any sport. I bet deep down they're thinking better a point here than go gung ho and lose the game and drop out of top four. At this stage it's not crucial if we get a draw here, so I can understand if they feel that way, especially coming after the nightmare on Wednesday, the boos, the press attention, etc etc - it makes me feel awful and anxious, much less the players who are in the thick of things.

People must not forget that we went gung ho before because we were on top and had Sir Alex. We're now very vulnerable since he retired and it's not so easy anymore. A little understanding would be good.

Also I don't believe Van Gaal sends us out there to lose or draw, irrespective of what people think. I honestly don't know why people think this? Too many draws and his job will be on the line, so I'm sure he wants us to win. I forgive him today after the shit week we've had to get something from the game instead of nothing.

Red-Jeff

Not exciting but I'm still happy, more shots than the team with the second most goals in the league and 8-1 in corners at their place tells you they just sat back and waited to hit us on the break as we knew they would, tough to break that down. Should tell you something when the highest scoring team in the league (prior to this matchweek) show up at their place to sit in compactly and have very few chances. We had chances to win but they were well-organized and our attack is still lacking one more player that can give us that magic in the final third.

Disappointed to give up that goal, Young should have stayed with Vardy there but otherwise a very good defensive performance once again. We have now made the two highest scoring teams in the league look fairly impotent, if we can improve our attack we will be unstoppable. Loved Schweinsteiger's will to get to that corner, that is exactly why we brought him in.

After an extremely tough run of games and a few injuries we are one point off of the top and in control of our CL destiny coming into December. Not perfect but in terms of results we have done very well. Now we have a few games that we should be able to turn it on in, score a few goals, and hopefully gain some momentum for the run in. I'm very excited to see how we handle things this next month, we have a great opportunity here. We need Herrera healthy, he makes a huge difference at #10 and I am still hoping that Rooney will be dropped.

montpelier

well that was a top of the table clash and a half

got to be happy with a point

I suppose, :(

(was better than last year though :))

Man of the Match

Bastian Schweinsteiger image Bastian Schweinsteiger 45% of 759 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player