PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 December 2017

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Shat our pants? Attacked us hard? They didn’t create anything, they had that one chance. It crap, but it happens. We were good today, we missed gigantic chances. It’s down to Martial and especially Lingard, who missed insane ones.

A good point however, is that because of our lack of possession, Leicester weren’t tired enough and had energy. Had we kept the ball more, they would have to run much more and wouldn’t sustain the pressured attacks. Victim of our own style and missed chances.
Yeah, their goal was the only chance they created since our second goal. It's just amazing how people actually believe they were all over us. Half the Cafe these days just hate our team of cretins and love beautiful City.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I don't think it's fair to blame Mourinho on this one, and I'm far from a fan of his. The opportunities were there. It's up to Rashford, Lingard, and Martial to finish those chances. Rashford in particular was poor today and looks really devoid of confidence. A couple of games with the reserves would do him some good to get back in a rhythm.
Also Jose needs to think about getting these attackers drilled properly. Just get an extra body in behind the scenes to work with them. Next time I'm at OT I might bring a sign begging Jose to do this:D

Axkiko

Lukaku best game and Rashford worst game.

Rashford wins.

mav_9me

Disappointing but not deserving of the full on meltdown it's getting.
Are you sure? The only way it could have been worse is if we lost. That was as diabolical / shambolic / criminal a performance as ever.

And I'm not talking about the misses. These happen. But our inability to counter, actually forget counter, inability to keep the ball against 10 men was so pathetic and painful. I don't know what we can do.

edgecutter

New manager, tactics, subs, style of play, manager. I am so tired of the cr@p Mourinho is shoveling, we have no identity rxcrpt parking the bus and hoofing the ball to the opposition. Time for a new manager
Christ, some of the knee jerk reactions to the manager situation. I forgot that Jose landed in with a club that has amazing players left here by Moyes and LVG. We have made progress from the absolute soul destroying football of LVG and Moyes. We are back in the top four ahead of other clubs that finished way ahead of us last year and Jose is starting to put together his squad and shifting the dead wood that was left here. There has been progress, but because City are walking the league we should start to sack our manager. We haven't even been in a title race since Ferguson.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Rushford to be dropped!!!! That's one of the worst play ever by a United player not to put a teammate through on goal. Just Wow!
The fecking state of this. Unbelievable.

Ban

Blame the players all he likes but it's up to him to manage them. When was the last time you saw a Guardiola, Pochinetto etc team shit themselves at 1 up with an extra man?

It's obvious we don't practice retaining possession. Keeping the ball when you have an extra man. Just hoofing it at a big man up top and playing for the scraps.

That is an absolute disgrace. And it's his to own.
Pochettino? This again..

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We've done this before though... missed chances, sat back too much, got punished. Missing chances happens (not good but happens) but the sitting back.... I've never seen Jose on the touchline urging the players forward, so is it them or Jose's tactics?

Either way shit and the lack of passion is shocking.

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho, speaking to Sky Sports: "We didn't win because missed incredible chances. I would say joke chances.

"We made a big defensive accumulation of mistakes in an easy match to win. I talked to the players at half time when it was 1-1 that it was an easy match to win.

"The reality is that it is 2-2. Sometimes you make mistakes and are not punished by that."

How do you feel after a difficult week? "I feel great. One thing to feel angry as manager and another thing to feel great as a man.

"We were punished by our mistakes. It was an easy match to win, we did everything to win but when you lose big chances. Childish loss of possession, so easy. Childish in their box and childish in our box. We were punished in two points."

Fully Fledged

Yes , there was a sense that they didn't know quite what to do. It was a bit like last year though. Not taking chances and then letting it slip late on. Where's the clinical finish? Ole Gunnar Solskaer would have had a hat trick.
Yes but 1-2 should have been enough against 10 men. We can't even see out a game when we have a man advantage.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It was an odd display, in the sense that we were actually pretty good for the most part, and a far cry from the timid defensive Mourinho unit we’ve been pegged as lately, but maddeningly immature with it. Wasting multiple chances to kill the game by treating it like some pithy forgone concluded training match.

Not just with the the obvious clear chances we created, but also our general demeanour going forward late on. Like it didn’t really matter whether we scored or not. Rashford’s getting a lot of stick and I just hope he learns from it, cos he was undeniably a major culprit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we didn't make any subs, we 100% would've won that. Now obviously you make subs to freshen up and all that, but the subs killed that for us IMO. Yes martial and rashford had misses, but we were in complete control and comfortable with them. Once rashford and Mkhitaryan came on, the game turned comical.

Jazz

Now my bandwagon City fan brother will want to talk all about football a game he gave notva shit about 4 years ago.
Just ignore him or threaten to take his Xmas lunch away!:)

van Nistelrooy

Are we really calling for the manager's head following this?!

Martial, Lingard and Rashford all had easy chances to seal the win. Mourinho can't be responsible for them being completely useless.

If some of our players put as much effort into their finishing as they did with their social media accounts, then the gap at the top would be far narrower.

hubbuh

I hope he tears each and every one of those cnuts (with the exception of DDG, Mata and Lukaku) a new arsehole.
Was DDG faultless today? He should have come for the first. I mean he doesn't deserve a new arsehole torn but if we are pointing fingers...

DeGea

I am so angry today and I rarely lose my cool.

Today I realised why we are where we are:

1. We do not have maturity in this team. We have talent, yes, but we don't have maturity to win the title unlike our previous teams. Proof: players like Rashford today made the wrong decision in front of goal. Instead of shooting early or passing it to Lukaku, he tried to dribble past Kasper. That is clearly the wrong decision making. Why has he done that? I don't think it's lack of coaching. It is down to maturity as a player and making the right decisions. All the top strikers in the top teams are good "decision makers" - Henry, Nistelrooy, Aguero, Suarez etc all make the right decisions in those moments. Age is not an issue, you either have it or you don't. They can all finish when not under pressure, but what they do when faced with a situation like Rashford had today is what differentiates them from the remaining 99%. Key to a team like us to succeed at the top end of the game. Very annoying indeed. I honestly think that once you get to this level, thinking about the game and analysing the game to improve yourself is much more important than physical training. Why on earth we didn't bring the ball to the corner flag God knows. The fact that City did it at Old Trafford means that they understand that nothing should be taken for granted. Maturity.

2. We lack focus i.e. ruthlessness. I hate to say this but when you look at City, they are just so tunneled-visioned. Basically they just aim to go out and destroy teams. Nothing else. The earlier the game is wrapped up the better. We have too many players who are "chilled". They are talented no doubt - Pogba, Lukaku etc. but when you look at the likes of Keane, Scholes, Ferdinand, Vidic, van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Neville, you can see they were men and were really focused. Lots of character and edge. We lack that I have to say. It's almost like the players need to have more anger and fire in their bellies.

What a rubbish day. Battered 10-men Leicester, yet still couldn't close the game. Going to be a shite Xmas.

Fully Fledged

Yeah, their goal was the only chance they created since our second goal. It's just amazing how people actually believe they were all over us. Half the Cafe these days just hate our team of cretins and love beautiful City.
Who has said they were all over us?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Gutted with that result, absolutely gutted. We were far the better side and thoroughly deserved 3 points.

On the plus side, I though there were plenty of positives, we certainly can’t be
Complaining about being defensive and parking the bus, we looked great going forward (finishing aside) which was good to see.

Our finishing let us down which was the reason we dropped points, not Jose.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I'm just worried the relationship between José and the players will deteriorate. It's going to be a trying rest of the way with City having all but sawn up the league. Still half the season left to go, yikes!

arthurka

Could see this coming from a mile away... Jose cant score for them.. We will never be a defensive unit with smalling and Lindelöf in the team..

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The level of perspective at RedCafe has been absolutely awful. We were good today and were extremely unlucky to have dropped points here, a few bad coincidences including Smalling's late injury cost us the game. We should have won but the moaners are out in force trying to convince themselves that we are shit.
If they think we a poor team, lucky they don't support the 18 teams other than City in the PL, sounds like some are abandoning United, must be changing to City - until they mess up that is.

Jazz

If we didn't make any subs, we 100% would've won that. Now obviously you make subs to freshen up and all that, but the subs killed that for us IMO. Yes martial and rashford had misses, but we were in complete control and comfortable with them. Once rashford and Mkhitaryan came on, the game turned comical.
I have a problem with Miki coming on. The same thing as against Bristol City, thought Mata should have been the one to come on as he's more composed and better at keeping the ball. Miki added nothing. Mata should have stayed on - he didn't need a rest as he's hardly been starting all season.

Ban

The level of perspective at RedCafe has been absolutely awful. We were good today and were extremely unlucky to have dropped points here, a few bad coincidences including Smalling's late injury cost us the game. We should have won but the moaners are out in force trying to convince themselves that we are shit.
They have an agenda, they want to prove we're shite and Jose needs to go and whatever happens they'll just repeat everything all the time.
I'm surprisingly calm after this cause we had a good game , just not clinical enough.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho, speaking to Sky Sports: "We didn't win because missed incredible chances. I would say joke chances.

"We made a big defensive accumulation of mistakes in an easy match to win. I talked to the players at half time when it was 1-1 that it was an easy match to win.

"The reality is that it is 2-2. Sometimes you make mistakes and are not punished by that. I feel great. One thing to feel angry as manager and another thing to feel great as a man.

"We were punished by our mistakes. It was an easy match to win, we did everything to win but when you lose big chances. Childish loss of possession, so easy. Childish in their box and childish in our box. We were punished in two points."
Jose gets a lot of stick on here, but no one can argue with anything he has said here. 100% correct in every way and I'm glad he publicly berated his team, they deserve it.

Aniefiok

Some compare Rashford to Mbappe and Dembele. He is very overrated and soon it will be clear for all to see.

Ace of Spades

Pointing fingers at specific players is not going to help, any player can miss chances. The problem is we forget to do even the basics right, like passing the ball and making yourself available to a teammate as a paaing option, and that is down to the entire team.

Jimmyheals

I agree with you on Rashford. I maintain that he is a Welbeck/Walcott level player at best. But Martial is not the best thing that people hype him to be, and he certainly was not our best player tonight. His miss cost us, while Mata scored 2 goals.
Rashford’s miss and decision making tonight were poor. However, why are fans so critical of his performances? I don’t think he is the next Ronaldo but look back at CR7s stats at Rashford’s age, they very similar. While he may not be the next Ronaldo he will be closer to him than Walbeck. His playtime now will only benefit us in the future.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It's funny that José took Mata off...you know the one that scored two goals.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd