PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 December 2017

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The level of perspective at RedCafe has been absolutely awful. We were good today and were extremely unlucky to have dropped points here, a few bad coincidences including Smalling's late injury cost us the game. We should have won but the moaners are out in force trying to convince themselves that we are shit.
Quite!

That was not park the bus. We were positive from the start, played really well, strikers got into great positions. Chances do get missed! Unfortunately, we were punished. That's football.

Whiteside '85

Not entirely surprised by anything from this Utd team anymore. I agree with Mourinho's childish comments and it may alienate the players but where was the tactical know-how from them in the last few minutes?

Smalling had no business being anywhere near our box.

What was Rashford thinking holding the ball there? Is that him taking matters into his own hands, is it coaching? (hope to God not)

Somethings gotta give... I just don't know who or what. How does our manager fix this? Transfers in? shipping dead weight out? Do nothing? Go to PSG where he can access funds

My suggestion forget this pile of steaming b*** and concentrate on enjoying the next day or two with the family.

Merry Christmas

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’m surprised so many people’s Christmasses were riding on that game, disappointing to have dropped 2 points but ruin your Christmas, really?

(Aimed at those not copying the RAWK post)

mav_9me

Guess what? He didn't have anything to do with it. He couldn't have predicted Rashford's brainfart not to play Lukaku in
Yeah but he has to fix this way of sitting back and defending even against fecking 10 men. That's on him whether he wants them to defend that way or whether they do that contrary to his instructions or whether he cannot get them to do any better.

Womp

idiot
Yes , there was a sense that they didn't know quite what to do. It was a bit like last year though. Not taking chances and then letting it slip late on. Where's the clinical finish? Ole Gunnar Solskaer would have had a hat trick.
If players who are one on one with the keeper don't know what to do then there is no hope for any of these players. If Rashford doesn't know how to play the ball through the lines to an open goal Lukaku, instead opting to run down the line for some reason and losing posession, then there's no hope for him. I fecking knew what he was supposed to do in that situation and I'm not a professional footballer. When a player gives you the ball and then makes a run, it's obviously because he wants the ball back into the space, not for you to hold onto the ball for too long, allowing Leicester to get back into position and then passing it backwards. The players aren't fecking idiots, no manager can teach a player how to finish every situation, that's impossible, there's billions of possible situations. Pep himself has said it's his player's jobs to finish the chances, his job is to get them there. You can't coach your team not to be fecking idiots.

It was just childish and complacent from all of them, it's that simple. No amount of tactical training etc. can remedy that. You don't miss 5 one on one chances and then miss further chances to put players in on goal and then look to your manager and think it's his fault.

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Interesting also to see Lukaku having a go at Herrera. Players need to do more of this on the pitch I think. Can't all be nice and polite at all times when you need to win. A little passion is good for the soul..

hobbers

Blaming Mourinho for this draw is just abject idiocy.

Sending on Mkhitaryan was a mistake, sure. But otherwise we should have won this game 5-1. His comments are spot on. Individual players becoming totally childish (brainless) in their box and childish (brainless) in our own. And for no good reason whatsoever, just a total lack of mental fortitude.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
As Mourinho said "childish loss of possession".

That was the killer. We must have lost the ball six or seven times in those last four minutes when all we had to do was keep it. So simple yet nobody even thought of doing that. It was amazing to watch. Are footballers not thought how to think anymore?

Regalia

All the small time Mourinho-haters getting their jibes in as usual. Guys, you can't blindly blame the manager every single time. It's better to pick the right games to do it otherwise you start to lose that impact and start to look like you're just bitter.

Jose's teams have all pretty much been labeled 'powerhouses' at some time or another when he's managed them. This clownfest today was definitely not something he would deliberately want to happen. How stupid is that? "Hey boys, get out there and play like you don't care and don't have 2 balls between them legs eh?". We just didn't have it on the field, and that little spat between Lukaku and Herrera where he played it forwards while Herrera stood there expecting it back sums up our 10 outfield players. No movement, passing only to feet so oppo defenders have it easy, terrible finishing, can't hold on to a ball for 2 secs, these players need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

We have too many average players of average intelligence, average technical ability, average mentality, average composure etc. etc. They play above their level sometimes, but like today, they also play well below it sometimes. End result over the course of a season: Average. We are 3-4 class players and 3-4 good backups away from challenging convincingly and hopefully the people in charge have the foresight to see this and address it in the coming winter/summer transfer windows.

Reactions: Sultan

RedStrudel76

Dont care. Top 4 in the bag. Just silly how many chances we wasted.

Also, Smalling should never have been playing at the back after his injury. Cant defend. Just creates confusion
How the mighty have fallen.. the new Arsenal. I shudder like Roy Keano at how standards have dropped.

As United fans we should rightfully demand more. Not accept mediocrity of becoming a top 4 also-ran club.. nothing to get excited about each season apart from having one of the European "big boys" at Old Trafford or a cup run..

The White Pele

Does anyone remember that game against Fulham in 2004 when Papa Bouba Diop scored a last minute equaliser in a game that we thought we had won? That's what tonight feels like.

We had a young Rooney and Ronaldo then and now we have other young talents who have a lot to learn still.

Ban

Interesting also to see Lukaku having a go at Herrera. Players need to do more of this on the pitch I think. Can't all be nice and polite at all times when you need to win. A little passion is good for the soul..
Didn't see that is there a video.

NJM78

I see us dropping points left and right now until end of season unless we get in a couple of top players in Jan. What’s it now 4 defeats and a draw in last 12 games? I’ve had my fill of the season already, it’s just hard work watching players do the simple things so badly week in week out. All I can say is thank feck for De Gea because he is worth 15 points to this team every season, when he goes we will really see how good our so called great defence is.
Anyway I still think we will finish 4th, can definitely see Chelsea and another go past us, we have the worst attacking players of all top 6 in my opinion and goals win games.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
All sizzle no steak. Absolutely shocking and embarrassing conversion of easy chances. I've been critical of Lukaku but he has a right to be pissed tonight, laid it on a plate tonight for his mates to squander. That's why I don't understand why people want Mata gone as he's one of very few players we have that has a football brain along with composure. Martial too wasteful and Rashford thinks he's already made it. Looks like another annual clearout followed by £200 mill spent on average crap

Ban

How the mighty have fallen.. the new Arsenal. I shudder like Roy Keano at how standards have dropped.
It's the situation right now City is running with the league, we must secure top 4, that doesn't mean we're good with it and don't want to come back to the top.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It was an odd display, in the sense that we were actually pretty good for the most part, and a far cry from the timid defensive Mourinho unit we’ve been pegged as lately, but maddeningly immature with it. Wasting multiple chances to kill the game by treating it like some pithy forgone concluded training match.

Not just with the the obvious clear chances we created, but also our general demeanour going forward late on. Like it didn’t really matter whether we scored or not. Rashford’s getting a lot of stick and I just hope he learns from it, cos he was undeniably a major culprit.
Yes, we were bizarrely casual in attack in the last 15 mins or so.

Acquire Me

Some compare Rashford to Mbappe and Dembele. He is very overrated and soon it will be clear for all to see.
He is one hell of a talent, but he was shit tonight. Needs to think a lot about tonight and learn from this. Mbappe and Dembele has shit games they aswell.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Pointing fingers at specific players is not going to help, any player can miss chances. The problem is we forget to do even the basics right, like passing the ball and making yourself available to a teammate as a paaing option, and that is down to the entire team.
Very true. It's the mentality that's lacking. Need some leaders in that team. Jose just needs to do a thorough background check on every prospective new player that will come in and make sure they aren't bottlers or jokers. Talent and strong mentality needed going forward.

hobbers

If I were Lukaku i'd be going out of my way to kick lumps out of Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan and Lingard in training all December.

An Irish Red

Rashford’s miss and decision making tonight were poor. However, why are fans so critical of his performances?
Because he was absolutely woeful. From selfishly ruining a counter attack by blasting the ball from forty yards to strolling about with the ball when a simple pass places Lukaku through.

He was our worst performer by a mile and he was only brought on near the end.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Why though? I’ve seen this a few times from other fans who seem to see him as an awful manager, when his career, even recently, suggests the complete opposite.
Sacked by Juve, forced out of Milan, Sacked by Chelsea, Sacked by Real Madrid, Sacked By Bayern Munich

He might have had some success from inherited teams and in some places maybe even created it. But I don't like his personality, I don't see him as a United manager. And quite obviously his past suggests he is not very successful over an extended period of time.

Might be a harsh and slightly bias assessment as I aligned him to part of the Abramovich mercenary history and the buying of the league, but it is what it is. I don't see him as more than a temporary patch and I want something more sustainable.

Last edited:

Ban

Yeah but he has to fix this way of sitting back and defending even against fecking 10 men. That's on him whether he wants them to defend that way or whether they do that contrary to his instructions or whether he cannot get them to do any better.
We didn't defend we had 4,5 chances to kill them of.

CarwynWilliams23

Attack is the best form of defence, unfortunately with Mourinho at the helm, it seems that defending against a team who did not really play well and down to 10 men is his way when we are in the lead. That leicester goal is living proof of why Mourinho likes 6ft plus players across the park in his teams. Fellaini would defo have been called ahead of Herrera tonight had he been fit.

But why should it get to that stage in the first place, we should be keeping the ball much better than we do considering the players we have, and I know the attackers should take blame for what happened today, but it feels like deja vu for the last month or so now.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
A little lucky as well as I thought Smalling held down their player in the box and should have been a penalty. He has always done this and mostly gets away with it.

kitress

I am fine if Rashford not playing a single game in 2018. That was unbelievably idiotic.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Did we try an attack? No
Did we try and keep the ball? No
Did we attempt to run down the clock? No

Honestly, there was no strategy at all there. Absolutely disgraceful
I still can't answer those questions. I don't understand what we tried to do

Trophy Room

The biggest problem from now on will be mental fragility among our players. I just hope our season doesn't implode. We regressed in a similar fashion following our home game with City last season.

Giggsyking

how on earth we put an injured player to mark the opponents tallest player at the last second of the match

Acquire Me

Quite!

That was not park the bus. We were positive from the start, played really well, strikers got into great positions. Chances do get missed! Unfortunately, we were punished. That's football.
My meltdown is over, so this. We need to better our decision making and we will be fine.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd