PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 April 2022

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Am I right in saying that 5th gets UCL football if an English side wins it (which they probably will)?

Loads to play for, infuriating we are so impotent.

Okey

I know the club will not like it, but a new manager coming in without the distraction of European football to instill his new tactics and training methods might not be as bad as it appears.
Would be my preference for sure. See how it's benefited Arsenal. We need a similar reset.

lex talionis

What a disappointing team performance. But on the positive side De Gea, Fred and Maguire put in solid shifts. But up front...absurdly poor.

I wish Rangnick, who I believe has done a very decent job of stabilizing a sinking ship, would drop McTominay from any future starting XIs. I know we're short on midfielders but when Matic is fully rested there's no excuse for starting McTominay over Matic.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Would be my preference for sure. See how it's benefited Arsenal. We need a similar reset.
Yeah a season of concentrating just on the league. Play kids and fringe players in the cups. It will show if they do care about rebuilding the club or it is about money, no matter how small the amount is.

dove

Imagine finishing below Arsenal :nervous: But that is our level unfortunately, absolutely nothing likeable about the current bunch we have assembled.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes I think that’s the case.
Really annoying, 5th has a great chance of making it, and softens the blow of liverpool winning it, we won't even manage that because were no where near good enough.

DomesticTadpole

What a disappointing team performance. But on the positive side De Gea, Fred and Maguire put in solid shifts. But up front...absurdly poor.

I wish Rangnick, who I believe has done a very decent job of stabilizing a sinking ship, would drop McTominay from any future starting XIs. I know we're short on midfielders but when Matic is fully rested there's no excuse for starting McTominay over Matic.
If I were Ralf I would now be talking with the board and saying I am not playing the players who are on their way out, Lingard, Mata, Pogba and whoever else he thinks should go. Load the bench with kids. Fred is one player who is working hard under Rangnick, agree that Matic should be playing rather than McT.

Djemba-Djemba

Moyes took over the champions though. That's a big * against that season. We were still good!
The Moyes season though we still had loads of legends that we all loved. All the hate could could be directed at Moyes.

This season, I fecking hate almost the entire squad.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
And I disagree, he’s had a poor season but he actually showed when he was on, that he’s a better option, clearly than Elanga. Elanga who for the most part, has looked like a kid thrown in way above his current level.

As I say, Elanga had the worst pass completion on the pitch, Rashford among the best, and Rashford would likely have got a winner if not for a braindead move by his teammate. So tell me, what did Rashford do SO wrong today for you to need to come in and post this?
I thought he was completely ineffectual and didn't change the game for the better, along with almost everyone else on the pitch. Again, i was making the point about Neville. I was not saying that Rashford was the only player who was poor and the sole reason for why we drew. It was a comment on Neville's complete and utter bafflement when he doesn't play.

Gandalf

Cavani injured, Ronaldo unfit and so what do we see on the bench? Mata, Lingard, Jones et al. it is a complete joke at this point. We have something to play for so I am not advocating dropping everyone but for those players out of contract in the summer it has been clear for a while they just dgaf or if they do they are too past it to be useful. What did Hannibal do to Ralf to continue being ignored? We kept him in January with the notion of making him part of the first team squad and he has yet to play a single minute. I am not anti RR but his refusal to consider youth players is really starting to piss me off. I see no reason at all why Mata, Pogba, Lingard or Jones should be even on the bench at this point, we should have the likes of Hannibal, Shoretire, McNeil and Garnacho in there and actually get a look at players who might actually be part of next season and who will give you everything they have got if they get a sniff of first team football, not jog around looking like they would rather be anywhere else.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I do not understand Rangnick. Why play this formation ? Why play Pogba like that ? Specially after his recent comments ?
Why play with McFred ?

DomesticTadpole

Yes I think that’s the case.
No. It does not work like that. It is Top 4 only, unless one of our teams win the EL then they would also be in the CL. Making 5 team, five teams is a bonus not a right. If City, Liverpool or Chelsea win it then it is still only the Top 4 which they are a part of.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Alot of Utd's players are just riding the season out and so am I now. I would have been angry earlier in the seaon but there have been so many drab displays at Old Trafford that I feel numb to it. I hope Ronaldo comes back soon so that I can at least watch a great player take his final bow.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Elanga had around 70% pass completion, the worst of any player on the pitch. Rashford as a striker had almost fecking 90% and would’ve likely scored a winner for us in the dying moments if Elanga hadn’t been stupid as feck in that moment.
So yeah, it’d be a truly awful game to show Neville why Rashford should be sat on the bench with Elanga starting.
And don’t even get me started on what a let down Sancho has been and how shite he was today.
Wouldn't of thought it would be too difficult reaching 90% when he probably only passed the ball 4 or 5 times. Instead of taking the 1 isolated chance at the end he did absolutely nothing else which is what Neville was talking about. Elanga was shit today but at least he puts the effort in. Rashford has been shit for 15 months and looks like he'd rather be anywhere else other than on a football pitch.

Got to feel for Ralf having to choose between one shit player or the other. Almost prefer to play Matic up front. At least he has a footballing brain and can sort of head a ball. That's how bad Ralfs options are.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I do not understand Rangnick. Why play this formation ? Why play Pogba like that ? Specially after his recent comments ?
Why play with McFred ?
Contractual obligations. End of. There's no other explanation to this. I'm joking but want to believe it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bad.

We got lucky with McT avoiding a red, I thought was a cert to get overturned. Their disallowed goal looked correct after they started showing the correct replay of the swipe on his standing leg.

But overall Leicester had the better play and chances. Barnes, Dewsbury Hall and Maddison in particular were excellent.

We had Fred and Maguire turn up. Everyone else was poor.

RedDevilQuebecois

If I were Ralf I would now be talking with the board and saying I am not playing the players who are on their way out, Lingard, Mata, Pogba and whoever else he thinks should go. Load the bench with kids. Fred is one player who is working hard under Rangnick, agree that Matic should be playing rather than McT.
In order to make this work, Ralf should also leak something to the press to that effect too. It's about making those lazy fecks' position untenable by any means.

killerboi2

Draw? Check
David De Gea man of the match or in the top 2? Check

Back to the Jose Mourinho days. Still yet to find a manager that can get us out of the gutter.

Xaviboy

Imagine finishing below Arsenal :nervous: But that is our level unfortunately, absolutely nothing likeable about the current bunch we have assembled.
Our level is Leicester City and Wolves and West Ham. 2 of them teams have twice played us of the park this season with football ability.

Times today we were outplayed football wise by Leicester.

It's getting painful now that the so call midtable clubs are coming to old Trafford and dominating games.

DomesticTadpole

In order to make this work, Ralf should also leak something to the press to that effect too. It's about making those lazy fecks' position untenable by any means.
As others have said a lot are just cruising to the end of the season. The squad needs a massive overhaul, not just talent wise, but character wise.

tweed

Pogba has no urgency and is just not very good really. he needs to me more explosive, he is a professional athlete. give me his body and I would win most headers
in the press rashford has no urgency or starts running always very late with no purpose and no prediction.
fernandes seems to moan at everything but still i feel he is not a weak link. remember his first game with us, he was more goal focused (more shots from outside the box)
sancho has no confidence it was like we played with 1 man down most of the match
elanga... nearly forgot about him. he has the boldness of youth usually, today he was absent.

a lot of pedestrian sideways passing for most game.we need quick ball and wingers ready to take on and GET passed their men. We are Manchester United and as a winger that is simply your job. also if you arent going to take on your man then zip a fast pass to your teammate he should learn to control the ball and play max 2 touch football. too many times i see slow pass, touch, look up, touch, touch, look up slow back pass. no kiddying there are no options if you dont zip that ball around.

I am actually ok with our defence for the most part. maguire was good and dalot offered himself going forwards.

in general i dont know who are the motivators and psychologist of our team but we need to get them to pump up the players and get them playing the game fast from the first whistle. against teams out of the top 6 play as if we are loosing 1 nil.

one of the things that annoys me when i watch liverpool how desperate they seem to want to score from the get go- it frustrates me terribly to think another team's set of fans would look at their team wanting it more than us. we only seem desperate to score from the 85 minute in most games. I feel if we played like at the end of games for most of the match we would have a higher win rate. you put most of our players in the liverpool or city side i am sure they would do well, i dont really doubt the talent, more the mentality, and intensity.

I remember in an interview in 2000-1 of ryan giggs explaining the point of each attach being to get a shot on target whether it went in or not it didnt really matter- it didnt matter as a number of them would go in eventually was his point. doesnt seem like our attacking players have that focus and objective. I sometimes ask myself when they play attack vs defence in training how do things go?.... are the front players better on the training pitch than in the game? do they struggle and play with 1 less defender or 1 more attacker to "balance it out"?

Judas

Open to offers
tumescent predictable shite. A team totally going through the motions, the season is finished and they know it, and they’re not even professional enough to hide.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I almost fell asleep the 1st half. Why were so many of our passes so soft? Even passing around the back it seemed we would put the least amount of weight on the ball to get the pass there. It's almost as if the players were afraid of hitting it with pace because they might miss their target and give the ball away.

Why did Bruno not shoot with any authority?
Why did Sancho want to do stationary tricks instead of move the ball effectively?

Remember when Rangnick said he might pick himself to be the manager next year? I think it's more likely he will fire himself for poor tactics and poor motivation.

Godfather

Looking at our line up it almost makes you cry considering the money we spent. Shit all over the place

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I reckon I no longer like watching United. Which is why 20 minutes into the game, realising that an abysmal match was unfolding before me, I chose to change the channel to some random anime show, and began reading what turned out to be a very good book. I don't regret this decision.

MUFC OK

Just want the season to be over, but sadly there will be more disappointments, frustrations and probably a couple of embarrassments before its done.

jackal&hyde

Pedestrian. Worst thing is I see no plan for attacking intention and the defensive weakness is still there.

Many of these players just have no fight in them no matter the manager and this is not fixable with coaching but bringing other players in. Shite season.

Stig

We play football like a bunch of uncoached drunks. Rangnick has had such little impact on this team. He talks a lot of sense but after all that talk of control, it's the biggest thing we lack. It's the same chaotic disjoint football we've seen before.
Unfortunately I agree fully with this post.

wolvored

Another shit performance. Just give some kids game time now. Finish 8th and have a full weeks training regularly with the new coach next season

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 53% of 207 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 204 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw