PL W FA Premier League

Liverpool 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 March 2015

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
In cloud cuckoo land.

i didn't even celebrate properly on Mata's beautiful second. I just laughed uncontrollably...

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Was invisible in the second half when he should've dictated the game then gave the ball away for the goal. Couldn't handle the pressing. Never can. He was awful. Luckily for him, Rooney played so he wasn't the worst player out there.

Cheer up mate.

Skills

Snitch
Played them off the fecking park for the first 35 minutes. Which cnut was it, who said lumping it up to Fellaini was our best chance?

Their jokers in midfield couldn't get get anywhere near mata or Herrera.

DevilRed

Guys why has it come together for us these last few games?

Is it as simple as no RVP and Falcao?
4-3-3 plays a big part IMO.

If RVP and Falcao were actually in form (or fit) im sure they would give Rooney competition for that lone striker role. Rooney could just as easily take the place of Young or Fellaini.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
That sending off was just orgasmic.

Mata and Herrera were great still disappointed that we did not kill the game and batter the twats.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I'm overjoyed to see how much all the players tried and cared and worked together. A well deserved win, despite some players (Rooney, DiMaria, Jones) not looking their best or making mistakes.

The substitutions are somewhat baffling, in removing the two players (Young, Herrera) who might contribute greatly to controlling the tempo. We should have had more goals and controlled the game better after the red card, but the result and the spirit behind it are all that matter.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21

Devil may care

First half was excellent, the second half we were totally in control, scored another great goal after they went down to 10 and then we let them back into it. However we were still very composed on the ball as they pressed and that desreves a lot of credit. I can't see anything to complain about from a team performance aspect today.

NoLogo

Good game from us until the first goal after that we let them into the game again way too much, we were just too scared and passive at times and it seemed to even get worse with 10 vs. 11. But credit to Liverpool they played their hearts out today. Their pressing was absolutely insane at times and I'm surprised they didn't run out of steam.

Oh and I hope Skrtel gets a retroactive ban for the stamp on de Gea. Dirty cnut.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Massive win, Liverpool playing at Emirates next week, that will be the moment where they can say goodbye to Top4 :)

Really happy with our latest performances, our big games overall are pretty good. First 45 minutes vs Arsenal, Spurs, today, we don't need to fear any team in the PL and can also beat City or get something at Stamford Bridge. Next week is a must win, will be interesting to see how our lineup (which should stay the same) will look in a "smaller" game.

Jaapster

post match ? mmm seeing as I had £140 riding on united winning 3-1 and Rooney screws a penalty in the final minutes
I honestly don't care we won simples!!

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Beloved citizens of Merseyside. To the best of my sincerity i advice you to shut down your windows, because the Mancunians took a massive dump in your city. Next up,the weather forecast.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal, speaking to Sky Sports:"We played very well in the first half. Maybe as good as against Spurs but in second we didn't play very well. Like always, when you play against 10 you forget to press. We had unnecessary ball losses and we brought Liverpool into the game. Most of the players were thinking 'maybe he can do it'.

"We kept the ball and created a lot of possibilities, not big chances, but a lot of possibilities to score. I said whoever could beat the pressure shall win. Juan Mata was very good. He played always good in my opinion with me so he's one of my most constantly playing players but sometimes you also need balance in your team and you have to select other players. Now he has played very well and did this position very well.

"It's an amazing result for the fans, because we've beaten Liverpool three times this season. We now have a gap from positions five, six and seven which is very important."

suheilsworld

Brilliant post match interview by LVG. Was spot on! Appreciative and critical where needed and loved the way he reads the game.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wonderful. Nothing beats that, and only having to see creasehead for 40 odd seconds makes it even sweeter.

Raw

Played them off the fecking park for the first 35 minutes. Which cnut was it, who said lumping it up to Fellaini was our best chance?

Their jokers in midfield couldn't get get anywhere near mata or Herrera.
That was great, I can't remember us dominating Liverpool like that at Anfield.

Skills

Snitch
Fecking buzzing at the moment. Found myself at the wrong pub because my usual was only showing the Belgian cup final, and this was fecking packed with Liverpool fans.

I somehow found what seemed like the only other United fans, right at the front. But no fecks were given, we were 10x more noise than them despite being outnumbered 5-1

Moriarty

Fellaini was superb. Best I've seen him in a United shirt. Mata, who's often described as a "luxury" player, also played his best game in a red shirt. I hope that Van Gaal continues to start him because he rarely plays a sloppy pass, and can be relied upon to get a goal or two. Di Maria really is a mixed bag. He plays some lovely football then spoils it with some incredibly careless pass that sets up an opposition counter. Rooney should have let Mata take that penalty. I knew he would miss the moment he stepped up to take it.

Shark

@NotShark
I love how rival fans such as Chelsea, City and Arsenal are all praising us for once after that filthy Liverpool display. What a wonderful day.

Mani

Tactically we were better side,what an first half performance.
Its double aganist Liverpool.I love it

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Brilliant result. Can't remember the last time we played that well at Anfield, at least in that first half. Completely dominated them. Second half was just all over the place from everyone, but Mata, Herrera and Fellaini were brilliant throughout, especially the spaniards.
Mata:drool::drool:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
What great goals by Mata! Just so happy and relieved that I can't be arsed having a go at anyone that didn't play well. Too happy.

R'hllor

How about that :drool:. What a great day,what a great day and Slippy me :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: . Hope Skrtel gets retro ban.

Rednotdead

5 points ahead and next they're away to Arsenal and we're home to Villa. Could be 8 points by next Saturday evening, with a superior goal difference. If that happens we'll be all but home and dry for 4th (at least).

ricky-romeo

barring any injuries or maybe one or two small changes for the sake of rotation and man management LVG finally got his starting 11 for this season. de gea, valencia, smalling, jones/rojo, blind/rojo/shaw, carrick, herrera, young, mata, fellaini and rooney.

rooney was poor but liverpool away has always been his kryptonite ground, so nothing to worry about.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Where do I start? Excellent performance, I feel every player deserves to be analysed.

de Gea: Thought he was poor for the goal, he was pretty solid otherwise. Wasn't busy at all.

Valencia: Nothing spectacular, wasn't really worked at all by Liverpool.

Smalling: Dealt comfortably with Liverpool's long balls, as he always will.

Jones: Solid performance like Smalling, was comfortable dealing with Liverpool.

Blind: Great game, won us a penalty and defended well. Our defenders were comfortable throughout.

Carrick: Cost us a goal, solid performance otherwise.

Fellaini: Brilliant performance again. Won every header, was excellent throughout.

Herrera: Ran the midfield. His best performance for us, brilliant. That f*cking pass... :drool:

Young: Wasn't great, worked hard though.

Mata: Two world class goals, world class performance. Man of the match. Magician.

Rooney: Easily our most wanting player. Missed a penalty and was generally anonymous.

di Maria: Beautiful pass for Mata's second but otherwise he was crap, again. Concerning.

Mata, Herrera and Fellaini were the best performers but I think the teams performance as a whole is the most pleasing aspect of the game. We were brilliant as a unit and that was our best performance in Anfield for quite some time. Delighted for van Gaal, his philosophy has shone the past two games. The system works.

siw2007

Get in!! It's a rare treat to win at Anfield and it is even better to be looking back on a good performance as well. I'm still a little frustrated that we didn't kill them by conceding a goal when we were very comfortable and annoying that we missed the last minute penalty as well but we look back on a game with plenty of talking points and a deserved win. We obviously think it was hysterical that Gerrard got sent off and it was a brave decision by the ref too but I also think that Ballotteli should have gone for pulling Smalling onto the boarding which was dangerous and Skertyl should have gone from the stamp at the end.

Mata deserved MOTM with a tremendous performance in a difficult match and that second goal was truly special and will become an iconic moment in our history against Liverpool. Fair does to Herrera, Fellaini and Smalling who all had great games too. I was disappointed with Rooney who was poor up top and confounded it with the penalty miss.

Still, 8 games to go and we need to continue our focus and performance level because we could still easily slip up. But lets enjoy today as it is a great occasion for us!!

Irrational.

Neville mentioned in the commentary that he's never seen United dominance at Anfield like we dominated in the first 30 minutes in his life. We were simply awesome and Liverpool with their high-energy aggressive game couldn't live with us. Herrera, Mata and Carrick were all fantastic.

Gerrard with a deserved sending off. I'm surprised Squirtle and Crazytelli weren't sent off as well. The latter surely would have if not for the intervention of the crowd.

Credit to Liverpool though, they gave it a real good go after our second, but I think that was more down to our slackness and complacency. Also, DDG could've done better with the shot, but given the season he's had I'm not going to begrudge him over one error.

Smalling and Jones were also solid at the back.

Am I the only one that dreads the day that RVP returns? LVG seems to have found the perfect balance with this squad and I'd hate for it to be disturbed.

Still plenty of room for improvement, and there will be many points won and lost by both sides, but I just hope that this is the stepping stone to a decent finish to the season.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Orgasmic, the feeling of beating Liverpool and made even better by Gerrard's red card. Might have been even more ridiculous than Di Maria's.

Were fantastic in the first half, but strangely were the ones winded by that sending off, just didn't know how to react to it. Finally got our act together to keep the ball better after our second but still had moments where we stupidly gave the ball away. I think today highlights our need for another midfielder. Could have really done with bringing on another one for Herrera rather than dropping Rooney back.

Also what is up with the player ratings? It's like half the people had forgotten that first half.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Hapiness watching United two weeks in succession. Who would've thought!

Great first half of football. We made it tough for ourselves in the second and I was scratching my head when the Herrera sub was made but feck that now. We won and looked good at Anfield for majority of the game. Brilliant!

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 94% of 1119 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 878 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw