PL W FA Premier League

Liverpool 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 March 2015

ClosetDevil

Harsh, mate. There was a deflection. He had the shot covered.
Deflection or not, he shouldn't really be beaten at his near post.

Apart from that he had a decent game. I still think Courtois is a slightly better keeper than him at this time, only JUST though.

Mata was absolutely brilliant. Just this win on its own makes his price tag worth it. Fellani was immense again today.

Isn't it curious that both of David Moyse's signings (or all three if you count Herrera) were our stand out players against the scousers?

ScarleyUtd

This Gerrard "being man enough to apologise" shit is doing my head in. A guy who gets sent off for an act of absolute cowardice 40-odd seconds after coming on in the biggest game of the season isn't "man enough" to do anything.
Plus he made some snide reference to Herrera's challenge as a justification without mentioning that he'd just taken Mata out himself. Really big of him that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This Gerrard "being man enough to apologise" shit is doing my head in. A guy who gets sent off for an act of absolute cowardice 40-odd seconds after coming on in the biggest game of the season isn't "man enough" to do anything.
Being man enough would have been apologizing to Herrera.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Liverpool were disgraceful with their antics.

Absolutely delighted we beat them there. Fantastic day all round!

Dominos

I thought they might have let Mata get his hat trick.
1) The game was not over. The designated taker is usually the one most likely to score so it's important the players don't get sentimental.
2) IMO it's more important that our main striker carries on his goalscoring form going into the end of season run in than Mata getting an arbitrary reward of a hatrick.
3) If your penalty taker is handing out penalty duties all over the place he will be less practised and out of rhythm when he next comes to take a big penalty.

Fully Fledged

Where do I start? Excellent performance, I feel every player deserves to be analysed.

de Gea: Thought he was poor for the goal, he was pretty solid otherwise. Wasn't busy at all.

Valencia: Nothing spectacular, wasn't really worked at all by Liverpool.

Smalling: Dealt comfortably with Liverpool's long balls, as he always will.

Jones: Solid performance like Smalling, was comfortable dealing with Liverpool.

Blind: Great game, won us a penalty and defended well. Our defenders were comfortable throughout.

Carrick: Cost us a goal, solid performance otherwise.

Fellaini: Brilliant performance again. Won every header, was excellent throughout.

Herrera: Ran the midfield. His best performance for us, brilliant. That f*cking pass... :drool:

Young: Wasn't great, worked hard though.

Mata: Two world class goals, world class performance. Man of the match. Magician.

Rooney: Easily our most wanting player. Missed a penalty and was generally anonymous.

di Maria: Beautiful pass for Mata's second but otherwise he was crap, again. Concerning.

Mata, Herrera and Fellaini were the best performers but I think the teams performance as a whole is the most pleasing aspect of the game. We were brilliant as a unit and that was our best performance in Anfield for quite some time. Delighted for van Gaal, his philosophy has shone the past two games. The system works.
Totally agree. That's why an average team score of 6.6 has me very confused. Some of our players were immense (8-10 performances) and no one was below average which is a 6. So why is the score so low?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Totally agree. That's why an average team score of 6.6 has me very confused. Some of our players were immense (8-10 performances) and no one was below average which is a 6. So why is the score so low?
I guess because other than Fellaini, Herrera and Mata nobody really shone. Just solid team performance all round really, which is van Gaal's philosophy I guess.

stu_1992

What a day! First half performance was excellent, reminiscent of last week. First goal was very well worked. Then to start the second half with that moment of madness (brilliance) from Gerrard was just...:drool:. I actually couldn't believe what I was seeing when that happened. And then of course that second goal was just amazing. Definitely up there with the best scored all season, and undoubtedly our goal of the season. Disappointing to concede, it was sloppy play and was unlucky with the deflection. Still think we should have battered them more with the man advantage, and Mata should have taken the penalty too. How often will he get a chance to score a hat trick in a game like this?

Mata was obviously MOTM, I really liked how Herrera played and Smalling I thought looked very solid. Rooney, as has been mentioned, was poor. Not sure what it is about Anfield but his touch and passing were off, then obviously the penalty save too. Di Maria was ok when he came on, certainly looked better than recently. Great pass for the second goal, and nearly set Rooney up for a goal too. I expect he might take Young's place in the next game, harsh as it may be.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
We seem to be the knocking the life out of teams with the brilliant way we are starting these games. Spurs never got going, Liverpool had more to show but they only had guts to offer rather than out right quality.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Great result and the most important points of the season so far.

So happy we beat those scumbags. Think they had us mistaken for a stamp collector.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Deflection or not, he shouldn't really be beaten at his near post.

Apart from that he had a decent game. I still think Courtois is a slightly better keeper than him at this time, only JUST though.

Mata was absolutely brilliant. Just this win on its own makes his price tag worth it. Fellani was immense again today.

Isn't it curious that both of David Moyse's signings (or all three if you count Herrera) were our stand out players against the scousers?
Speaking of Courtois ...... :lol:

Anyway, delighted with the performance. This is why I felt we needed to stick with van Gaal, this is his philosophy in action.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Moreno is in trouble...........

So on top of Gerrard being banned we could have Skrtl and Moreno banned all from this game.

They are just making this victory sweeter and sweeter.

Ringo 07

What a game.....I'm still buzzing....What an unbelievable goal from Mata....If we play like that for the rest of the season then we should scrape top 4

JUPITER

Lets just remember (and enjoy) the landslide bias shown by the usual media twats to Liverpool...

Cut to 3 minutes in to hear Lawro dismissing Van Gaal's approach to discipline in this game...

Followed by them both calling Liverpool as 'unstoppable'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32000549

Scroll down for Lawrenson's prediction of how the game would play out and the final score (it's well worth it)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31962007

Mali_Zeus

Where are our resident scousers. Was Dumbstar the one who said they never go into hiding. Or was it Barney. They all the same to me.

SirAF

Ageist
Well, I am pretty feckING happy right now! Holy shit, they were good :drool:

Can't remember us being so comfortable ever at Anfield before?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Love that pic! Happy for the lads.

Gannicus

A fantastic win over a tough opponent in their house. Our midfielders completely outclassed the vermin scouse feck.

We've not heard the last repercussions from this one.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
1) The game was not over. The designated taker is usually the one most likely to score so it's important the players don't get sentimental.
2) IMO it's more important that our main striker carries on his goalscoring form going into the end of season run in than Mata getting an arbitrary reward of a hatrick.
3) If your penalty taker is handing out penalty duties all over the place he will be less practised and out of rhythm when he next comes to take a big penalty.
he might have scored though :lol:

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 94% of 1119 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 878 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win