PL W FA Premier League

Liverpool 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 March 2015

stevoc

It was great performance from us in 3/4 of the game. You can never expect to dominate your fiercest rival for a full out 90 minutes - especially us at Anfield. The scoreline made it seem closer than it was but all is forgiven. Been waiting 8 years to celebrate a victory at Anfield - im going to savour every minute of this.

Oh and Mata and Hererra are brilliant together.
Why didn't you celebrate when we won there two years ago?

Gasolin

Lets just remember (and enjoy) the landslide bias shown by the usual media twats to Liverpool...

Cut to 3 minutes in to hear Lawro dismissing Van Gaal's approach to discipline in this game...

Followed by them both calling Liverpool as 'unstoppable'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32000549

Scroll down for Lawrenson's prediction of how the game would play out and the final score (it's well worth it)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31962007
Lovely to see those predictions all wrong!

Zen

My post-match from both first halves these past two weeks are that.....I still think United will cope with the CL well, seriously, I can't see the season away from Europe would of done all that much harm. They'll be more favoured to win it next year than City or Arsenal straight away, unless City get Carlo and some nice additions.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Been to the game - best team won. I expected us to have a right go early in the game but it just didn't happen.
Lallana chance goes in might have made a big difference. Stevie G shameful challenge, that said the tackle on Mata just before at least showed some passion sadly missing in the first half and we actually played better after that.

Jones tackle (which to be fair I didn't get a great view of at the time), some ref's would have given a red.
Skretl stamp (as above I didn't see properly), I didn't think it was malicious to be honest - not in the same category as Gerrard's.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Been to the game - best team won. I expected us to have a right go early in the game but it just didn't happen.
Lallana chance goes in might have made a big difference. Stevie G shameful challenge, that said the tackle on Mata just before at least showed some passion sadly missing in the first half and we actually played better after that.

Jones tackle (which to be fair I didn't get a great view of at the time), some ref's would have given a red.
Skretl stamp (as above I didn't see properly), I didn't think it was malicious to be honest - not in the same category as Gerrard's.
I think you are looking for something that isn't there on the Jones tackle. Should never be a sending off that.

It wasn't studs up or anything.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing

Jones foul was a simple tough challenge that he slightly mistimed. 100% yellow.

togg

I'm so fickle. I said before I was confident about playing the top rivals, but before the match was a bit doom and gloom. But that first half was a joy...something I haven't seen for sometime. The second half was predictable and how many times have we seen teams fight when they go down to ten men. We played it out well and in all honesty, they didn't really have many chances. Liverpool are a good side, this was a big big win for us, not just in terms of the top four place, but more for confidence and a growing belief in ourselves.

This is one great sunday....

LARulz

Lets just remember (and enjoy) the landslide bias shown by the usual media twats to Liverpool...

Cut to 3 minutes in to hear Lawro dismissing Van Gaal's approach to discipline in this game...

Followed by them both calling Liverpool as 'unstoppable'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32000549

Scroll down for Lawrenson's prediction of how the game would play out and the final score (it's well worth it)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31962007
It reminded me of the Arsenal game in November. Everyone and their dog had us down to lose/get thumped but when we won everyone just said nothing. But we got lucky that game, this game no such thing

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Anybody want to pay me a weekly fee to not watch matches.
Got home late from fishing last week and couldn't watch today due to my family issues.

Seem to have played very well in both matches :lol:

legball

We were fantastic, it's so much of a big difference having a top class manager in the dugout in games like this than having a nothing manager there, like we did last season. We dominated the game and deservedly came away with 3 points. Mata was majestic.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

:lol::lol:

Mate The ball was in DDG's hands before he cot close to him. He had plenty of time to pull out.

Jones was a regulation yellow all day long, never anything more.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
We were fantastic, it's so much of a big difference having a top class manager in the dugout in games like this than having a nothing manager there, like we did last week. We dominated the game and deservedly came away with 3 points. Mata was majestic.
Who was in our dugout last week?

Pscholes18

Are we one of the worst clubs when going up a man? Not just that but the odd decisions some of these players make at times....Jones, ADM and Rooney....Gerrard lol....Skrtel...what a cnut...knows exaclty what he was doing...FA should take a look.

SalfordRed1960

Though the ref didn't have a bad game, he was very lenient towards the niggly fouls. I was very surprised that Sterling stayed on the pitch. Same could probably have been said for quite a few other players on both sides. Thought Balotelli was very stupid to do what he did to Jones, and then to try and confront Smalling. For the ref to give a straight red to Gerrard was very brave and he should be congratulated for that. Gerrard must have had a real brain fart. His last 2 years do not seem to be quite going for him.

I think the last few games have shown Unied are not as shit as people make out, and the likes of Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal/City are not far from each other. Since we have had the biggest upheaval a lot of credit has to go to LVG. Still no fat lady singing yet, though.

Infra-red

Hard to imagine a game at Anfield vs that lot going much better. Dominance and 67% possession XI vs XI, Gerrard sent off, Mata fantastic throughout. A very good day.

Jaap

I thought we played excellent in the first half. Kept the ball moving, played some clever passes and generally looked threatening. Only the killer goal was missing after Liverpool pulled a goal back.

All in all, it was a superb professional performance by the players. Only negative aspect were Rooney's performance and penalty and di María's cameo.

Fellaini was great again as were Mata and Smalling.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I hope now that we have beaten Tottenham and now Liverpool, that people have more faith our team and manager.
We have a great manager in charge and our team are beginning to learn the technical style which LVG is trying to implement.

Another point I made in the match day thread was about possession. We are possession based team which means we will dominate possession in every game we play - even when we lose. Currently, only Man City have a marginally better possession percentage than us. Next year, I expect us to be at the top. Yet, some fans expected Liverpool to dominate possession and stated this as a forgone conclusion.

I find that there is far too much negativity in the run up to the game and we have to lose this, as negativity can spread. Even our own fans dont seem to realise how good we are and are predicting a loss to a team below us in the league. WTF! Liverpool are below us in the league because they are worse than us, not because they are better.

I, for one, enjoy it when we play teams who attempt to score. The teams we seem to struggle with are those who park the bus and hit us on the break. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham - these teams will attempt to score and are all winnable games (we've already won 2 of them).

So, lets be positive. Lets get 6 points against Villa and Man City and then move onwards and upwards.

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 94% of 1119 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 878 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw