PL W FA Premier League

Liverpool 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 March 2015

Shimo

This one we absolutely deserved. Made sweeter by Gerrard getting himself sent off.

Rooney was wank but, that's okay.
Oh Mata - there are going to be songs for him no doubt.
Blind I thought was a bleh with the ball at times and not sure what he was doing for their goal - why didn't he just stay on Sturridge
ADM really just needs to take a breath, think he is in too much of a rush most of the time to make something happen.

To repeat our performance on from last week, brilliant - hope he continues with this approach, the one striker and our midfield dominating the game. We had 60% possession at Anfield in the first half but, it was not just for the sake of it from earlier in the season. Actually looking forward to the games now - too bad about the international break.

WyoManU

I thought we were very good. Liverpool didn't even get into the match in the first 35 minutes. To be fair, we made it harder than I would've liked in the second. Up a man and passing so well in the first half I had hoped that we would just pass circles around them. But, we lost our confidence a bit and started to make some errant balls that lead to their goal.

Rooney was mostly only a sounding board. Not terrible but not as good as you would like.

Mata is man of the match, even without his 2 goals. Herrera and Mata really caused all sorts of trouble to them for most of that match. So pleased for both of them.

Fellaini was a beast. Won nearly every header anywhere near him. Also was able to bring the ball down and distribute very well. Maybe most importantly, he kept his cool and didn't get into card trouble himself in a match that could've seen more.

Defense was mostly solid. Jones lost his mind again with his tackle on Henderson. In a moment after Gerrard goes off you cannot give the ref a chance to even things up. Lucky boy.

Of course, we have to talk about the Liverpool players. Gerrard should be their most composed and experienced player, and yet within 48 seconds he commits two red card challenges and is rightfully sent off. I am not sure why Liverpool are drawn to players who are so prone to being a red card liability. They had Suarez and let him go, after he tarnished the Liverpool name. They bring in Balotelli, which anyone knows is just asking for trouble. Then you have players like SKrtel who commit such a heinous act at the full time whistle. They can play good football, but if I were a Liverpool fan I would be asking why my team is filled with so many disreputable personalities. For the sake of the FA I hope Skrtel gets a lengthy ban. That was malicious and no Liverpool fan should disagree.

ScarleyUtd

Brenda's comments on Skrtel are just pathetic.

"I have seen the Martin Skrtel incident. The ball was played through but it probably looks worse in slow motion. it looks like he is trying to get a nick on the ball, to get a toe on the ball but the ball went into the goalkeepers hand. Martin is not that type of player, he was just a fraction out".

Shark

@NotShark
If anybody could put the full game up here I'd really appreciate it. Loved our dominant first half performance, and sorry I didn't record the game. I'd love to watch it back.

MDFC Manager

"I have seen the Martin Skrtel incident. The ball was played through but it probably looks worse in slow motion. it looks like he is trying to get a nick on the ball, to get a toe on the ball but the ball went into the goalkeepers hand. Martin is not that type of player, he was just a fraction out".
:rolleyes::wenger:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Harsh, mate. There was a deflection. He had the shot covered.
Maybe I am being harsh but my initial reaction was that I thought he should have done better. Haven't looked back on it yet. Match of the Day will certainly be worth the watch though. :D

Revan

Assumptionman
We were awesome in the first 30 minutes, a tactical masterclass. Then Slippy did that.

Mata, Herrera, Fellaini and Smalling were great. Rooney was shit as usual (for the Anfield trip) and it was so predictable that he'll lose the pen. He should get a free week and go to holidays the week we face Liverpool away. It's like 10 years since he has had a good game there.

Anyway, 3 points and a decent performance. Things are getting to click and it looks that there was a plan after all.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

:houllier:

Irrational.

Brentan Smug-gers said:
I have seen the Martin Skrtel incident. The ball was played through but it probably looks worse in slow motion. it looks like he is trying to get a nick on the ball, to get a toe on the ball but the ball went into the goalkeepers hand. Martin is not that type of player, he was just a fraction out.
How the feck can you defend Squirtle? Of course he's "that type of player", he's a brick faced thug.

Raw

Shame Rooney missed the penalty. We could have put 3 past Liverpool for 3 games in a row if you count pre-season.

Shark

@NotShark
The Gerrard moment was hilarious and we deserved the win.
There's not a shadow of a doubt we deserved to win. We were comfortably the superior team and it's about time we started showing it against those shits.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

He is a unsufferable prick, really. Too big for his own shoes, fecking blowhard.

@Dumbstar

RedStarUnited

The team shape and balance was great today. We pressed so well and with great intensity. Liverpool tried to press us in the first half but we just maneuvered around them every time.

montpelier

Mrtn is exactly that kind of player.

And Brendan is a disingenuous bullshitting twat who's trying to get his player off a ban.

Revan

Assumptionman
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal, speaking to Sky Sports:"We played very well in the first half. Maybe as good as against Spurs but in second we didn't play very well. Like always, when you play against 10 you forget to press. We had unnecessary ball losses and we brought Liverpool into the game. Most of the players were thinking 'maybe he can do it'.

"We kept the ball and created a lot of possibilities, not big chances, but a lot of possibilities to score. I said whoever could beat the pressure shall win. Juan Mata was very good. He played always good in my opinion with me so he's one of my most constantly playing players but sometimes you also need balance in your team and you have to select other players. Now he has played very well and did this position very well.

"It's an amazing result for the fans, because we've beaten Liverpool three times this season. We now have a gap from positions five, six and seven which is very important."
:lol:

Do all Dutch people talk like this? First we had Kevin, now we have Van Gaal.

Bebe

Guys why has it come together for us these last few games?

Is it as simple as no RVP and Falcao?
That helps, as does Herrera being a mainstay.

Blind at LB has been excellent, especially with his passing.

Carrick coming back into the team (though he wasn't great today I thought)

Juan Mata.

And the players are clearly getting more and more comfortable with how LVG wants them to play.

anchan1989

Happy for you guys. I take any CL Liverpool misses with their 5 titles.
And I just cant stand Brendan.
Louis will do a great job in the end, like I always said. Too good of a manager, a true genius.
Any team needs time to get his system.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Liverpool were floored before they even knew it. We out presed, out passed and mostly out played them.

All the things people associate with Brenton's side: a fast start, penning the opposition in, we saw what the Scouse had and raised them. We beat them at their own game.

I think slippy's red card actually upset us. We had a game plan and when he went off the players seemed to wonder 'they're down to 10, what do we do now? This ain't how we prepared for this'. Thank God for Juan Mata.

So many good performances, so happy right now.

PS) Skertel to be banned please

Trizy

Just back from my own match and missed this beautiful match (judging by the score line) can someone sum in up for me please. Thanks.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Guys why has it come together for us these last few games?

Is it as simple as no RVP and Falcao?
You think really think that?

The formation has been changed. Players are playing to their strengths (no Rooney in midfield type arrangement). One striker, not two. Rooney underperformed today but one striker underperforming is a hell of a lot better than two doing so. Doesn't affect the overall passing play as much.

Carrick is back and at the same time as he's back, Herrera and Mata are both starting. LvG is actually playing his best team using the best formation this team plays in.

ScarleyUtd

Specially the Chelsea fans, sometimes I think they hate Liverpool fans more than Utd ones do.
Many fans do. A lot of my QPR mates don't mind Utd fans, but can't stand the scousers – their away fans anyway.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Because the designated and most reliable pentalty taker should always take the pen. The game wasn't even over, though with Rooney missing it's easy to question his reliability from the spot.
Pretty sure Falcao's penalty record is better. Feels like Rooney misses a penalty every year, be it for club or country.

Ralph1386

All I can say is: Do NOT touch our formation anymore. It needs to remain exactly the same. No more trying and testing. The only possible change could be Rojo instead of Jones at the back.

Dobba

This Gerrard "being man enough to apologise" shit is doing my head in. A guy who gets sent off for an act of absolute cowardice 40-odd seconds after coming on in the biggest game of the season isn't "man enough" to do anything.

Any of the gimps they wheel out to find some sort of excuse for this utter coward should be embarrassed.

After the Tottenham game too it looks like its all starting to click...

Mata was brilliant.

Jones was a little lucky not to go off, whilst Smalling was imperious.

ADM looked like a superstar who is just not quite in tune with the rest of the team.

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 94% of 1119 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 878 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw