PL W FA Premier League

Liverpool 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 March 2015

Sir A1ex

- Blind was really bad. All over the place defensively and unusually poor in possession. Maybe needs a rest.
Blind was fantastic tbh.
Neither of these opinions makes any sense to me. He was below the standard we've mostly seen recently - specifically he was sloppy in possession, giving it away in dangerous situations a few times. But he was far from all over the place. He still did some good defensive work and linked up really well to get up the wing.

One of several players who did some things brilliantly, but also made too many errors - see also Jones, Rooney and ADM when he came on.

kiristao

And talking about De Gea, he's now sweeping better than I've ever seen him, he used to prefer staying on his line more, but now, he's coming out more to sweep, nice improvement there I think.
I have been saying this for a long time That he doesn't come of his line as often as he should. That was the only criticism I had of him. That has changed now

ghagua

Great first half, second half was meh. Cannot believe how we dominated the first half, but like the match against Spurs, we just could not do the same in the second half. Herrera, Mata, Smalling were immense. Rooney had a poor game, even without that penalty miss. Di Maria is so frustrating to watch. He made the goal for Mata and that pass to Blind for the penalty, but he gives away the ball so easily. Injuries and suspensions might have led to LvG choosing a lineup that may save our season. Really have enjoyed the last 2 matches.

Roboc7

Other than the first half an hour I didnt think we played particularly well but two moments of quality from mata were enough, if we had kept our heads in the second half we would hVe won comfortably.

Di Maria got an assist but other than that he was pretty bad, Rooney was poor as usual but we still look better with him up front even when he is having an off day which tells you everything about falcao and RVP.

Still think there are plenty of twists and turns in the race for top four, our fixture list ensures there will be ups and downs but things are looking a lot better than a few weeks ago.

Shark

@NotShark
I've just been thinking about how bullish the Liverpool fans were before this game, and how they were completely underestimating our team. Makes it even sweeter.

Unlikely lad

Other than the first half an hour I didnt think we played particularly well but two moments of quality from mata were enough, if we had kept our heads in the second half we would hVe won comfortably.

Di Maria got an assist but other than that he was pretty bad, Rooney was poor as usual but we still look better with him up front even when he is having an off day which tells you everything about falcao and RVP.

Still think there are plenty of twists and turns in the race for top four, our fixture list ensures there will be ups and downs but things are looking a lot better than a few weeks ago.
Really? "As usual"?

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
First time we have bossed a game at Anfield for ages. A very good team performance. We looked like we had more men on the pitch long before Gerrard's sending off. If this is the philosophy then I am all gaga

Nathan

Managers have to defend there players but really for Brendan Rodgers to say skertel tried to play the ball is asking all of us to turn a blind eye to what is blatantly clear - he tried to damage De Gea with that stamp

Mali_Zeus

Dont like Rooney I reckon?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So fecking proud of the team. We were outstanding today. The way we controlled the game sometimes against a side I thought would be better than us in the ball was excellent.

Mata put on a proper proper top big game peformance.

fecking yessssssssssss

itso 7

The importance of this win can not be overstated, people shouldn't expect us to batter Liverpool for ninety minutes especially at that squatter camp. Imperative that we beat Villa so that this win is not wasted.

GeneralGattuso

I don't get why Blind is getting such high ratings and is being mentioned as a possible man of the match? His passing was woeful. Defensively not terrible but not great either, he vacates the LB spot for the goal. He should have been pinging some crosses in, particularly the first half but none of them made it into the box. Fair play he got us the penalty but still not a great performance. I was surprised he wasn't subbed earlier, I suppose Rojo is still coming back from injury.

Rooney was poor, his short passing in particular was disappointing. He only made a handful of successful passes in the first half. Jones made some rash challenges but wasn't awful. Liverpool seemed content to allow Jones time on the ball but would press Smalling. I couldn't make out Young's position. Was he meant to be wide left or left of midfield? He just wasn't in the game, made a decent contribution defensively but I was surprised he wasn't the one putting the balls into the box. Di Maria looked out of sorts but he made more of an impact than Young.

Mata was perfect. I've got no idea why Liverpool let him have time on the ball and then failing to mark him is just daft. Great movement and perfect finishing, loved it! Herrera was also great, nice neat passing, kept us ticking over and put himself about - even drawing Gerrard's red card. Fellaini was also good, his first touch with his feet is still poor but his chest and heading just gives us something different, an out ball from the back and his physical presence puts other midfielders off.

LVG played a blinder. He set us up to deal with the Liverpool pressing game and left them chasing shadows but at the same time we were picking our way through and creating chances. A thought occurred to me... had that been SAF in charge, I think we would have lost this game.

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 94% of 1119 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 878 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw