PL L FA Premier League

Liverpool 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 January 2020

Walters_19_MuFc

The standards continues to drop if you think we weren’t outplayed. Mourinho toothless Spurs side put on a more competitive performance. We showed no composure under pressure, no interplay, no intelligent pressing, no proactive gameplan, it was all static and reactionary.
Liverpool dominated the whole half against Spurs and half of the second.

We started well today. First 15, last 15 of the first half. Then the last 25 minutes of the second half.

Klopp had to change system and go into a more solid formation because he knew they looked vulnerable.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Cant help bit feel some pride about the fight in the team. It's the minimum we should expect to see but that doesnt means it's always there.

The pub I just left was full of Liverpool fans,and they were faaaar from comfortable. You have to take your chances in these games and we didn't, and let's be honest they are a fair bit better than we are right now.

People will call that a loser mentality or some other crap, but it's just a realisation about where we are right now. I still believe there are many reasons to be encouraged. I like this team.

jimmyb2000

Look on the bright side - at least they ain't knocked us off our perch. We've been s*!t for 7 years now.

billybee99

Not particularly impressed by Liverpool, City are a way better side. It’s crazy how they’ve struggled this season.

And us? We’re not that bad. Need to replace some players, but we have a good crop, this team has great potential. Let’s not go OOT on judgement, losing to a finished article in this Liverpool team. Ole might not take us all the way but he’s doing some good work here and the fans are not giving him nearly enough credit.

Special mention to Fred, what a turnaround. Super performance in a very tough game.
We're on pace for 50 something points, just so you know. I don't want to say anything to upset you or introduce any element of reality to your post but those are the facts.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Bittersweet feeling. Proud of the players and at the same time lucky to have been 1-0 down until the second goal.

Ace of Spades

The game was not that bad, but the lack of quality in key moments was obvious. We need options as well as quality, and it is no wonder why Ole wants to get some players in.

Fred was great imo, he was a one man midfield at times, as Matic was very average and Pereira was just poor and sloppy.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
No the game would not have been ours 100% guaranteed. How do you come to that conclusion?
By watching the game. We were in it till the end and even had couple decent chances which AMF like Bruno and striker like Haaland would have scored

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Going from losing 3-1 to losing 2-0 is progress?

Having a worse team now is progress?
Another few seasons with current owners and we will be fighting to stay in the Premier league. Major change needed, sack Ole as he is not tactically up to the job, get Woodward away with the football side of things, and hire Luis Campos from Lille as DOF

billybee99

They're clearly better than the sum of their parts: it's a testament to Klopp as a manager because individually, their players are good but hardly geniuses. This is clearly not Guardiola's Barcelona.
Are you crazy? Managers don't make a difference.

Schmeichel=God

Great performance from the lads. We had some injuries as well. 2-0 loss to Liverpool is great progress. Kept them pretty much at bay. Bit of luck and we could have drawn this game. Don't really see any need to strenghten or get a manager in for this club. We are heading into the right direction.
...nearly threw up in my own mouth

Kostov

We are an average team managed by an average coach. We defend like amateurs, we attack without clue, we press without clue and yet some see progress.

Godfather

When asked about potentially replacing Marcus Rashford this transfer window, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer replied:

“We've had many injuries for big players this season. It’s just an unfortunate situation we're in. We might look at some short term deals as well that could take us through to the summer. We don’t desperately need a striker, if the right one is there and it fits for us... we’ve got players who are champing at the bit.”
Yeah no I mean which team needs a striker I agree.

mu4c_20le

We are an average team managed by an average coach. We defend like amateurs, we attack without clue, we press without clue and yet some see progress.
The average coach was 5 minutes away from beating them a couple months ago.

Tel074

The standards continues to drop if you think we weren’t outplayed. Mourinho toothless Spurs side put on a more competitive performance. We showed no composure under pressure, no interplay, no intelligent pressing, no proactive gameplan, it was all static and reactionary.

My thoughts on standards have nothing to do with the fact that United where quite obviously not completely outplayed today . To suggest we where is just untrue

Godfather

Cant help bit feel some pride about the fight in the team. It's the minimum we should expect to see but that doesnt means it's always there.

The pub I just left was full of Liverpool fans,and they were faaaar from comfortable. You have to take your chances in these games and we didn't, and let's be honest they are a fair bit better than we are right now.

People will call that a loser mentality or some other crap, but it's just a realisation about where we are right now. I still believe there are many reasons to be encouraged. I like this team.
LIkeable teams don't win you games. This squad is a joke, that's just the hard fact. And Pool should have been out of sight after the first 10 mins in the second half.

I can't feel much pride by doing the absolute minimum and that is putting your foot in against Liverpool. They were a joy to watch at times and it just hurts. Looking at us not being able to pass the ball to a teammate.

LoneStar

Meh. With the injuries we had and the difference between the respective teams’ development, it was a decent enough performance.

They play some horrible brand of football, though. Don’t be fooled by the Scouser-infested media. Longball FC.
Pretty sure that shift from all out attack to this is what made them win games consistently. But yes they definitely don’t play amazing football anymore.

Josep Dowling

Roy Keane is absolutely embarrassing himself here. Carragher and Souness have torn him a new one.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Honestly I'm more worried about Rashfords injury more than this result, which we were always going to lose
Same here. Like you I expected a worse defeat than we got, so I suppose that is something. Rashford's injury is a big worry. He is our goalscorer. I do not rate Martial as high as some and Greenwood is so young, there will be games you will forget he is there. If we had a goal machine in midfield it might have helped.

Andersonson

Another few seasons with current owners and we will be fighting to stay in the Premier league. Major change needed, sack Ole as he is not tactically up to the job, get Woodward away with the football side of things, and hire Luis Campos from Lille as DOF
Wtf

billybee99

We made ourselves difficult to beat in the end. Yeah, they had more chances but chances don't win games, making them count does.

Anyone who thinks it was easy for them just needs to look at it from the other side, when we have games with a lot of chances but it's only 1:0.

Either way, we've had a bit of a momentum prior to this game, this certainly hurts, but this team will rise to the occasion and take out their frustrations on our next opponents. We don't have to beat Liverpool win the EL and that's our fight this season. Arsenal don't play better games at Anfield either, nor do Chelsea, these are teams we need to beat and that we can.
They won the game.

SER19

Terrible fact that. Just goes to prove that the standard of coaching is not nearly good enough.
Its just inexcusable. I said a few weeks back it's public apology levels of dreadful. 9 goals from corners alone this season in league

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They were annihilating us and sent wan bissaka go to the shops for fizzy pop numerous times mate.
The 10mins that opened the second half were fraught. But a lot of it was better than we could have hoped for.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Liverpool dominated the whole half against Spurs and half of the second.

We started well today. First 15, last 15 of the first half. Then the last 25 minutes of the second half.

Klopp had to change system and go into a more solid formation because he knew they looked vulnerable.
Liverpool also dominated the first half against us, even more so than Spurs. Then second half started and they went to another level. We had a good 20 minutes spell in the second half, but it was nothing that showed an equilibrium between our best controlling moment and theirs. It was mainly due to Klopp changing their system to combat the changing tide and close out the game. Spurs frustrated Liverpool was and was well organized, even though they weren’t significantly better than us today. They were unlucky to not draw that game after that Lo Celso miss

tonnas

I am more pissed that our clueless manager fecked up Rashford for month rather then this loss.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
LIkeable teams don't win you games. This squad is a joke, that's just the hard fact. And Pool should have been out of sight after the first 10 mins in the second half.

I can't feel much pride by doing the absolute minimum and that is putting your foot in against Liverpool. They were a joy to watch at times and it just hurts. Looking at us not being able to pass the ball to a teammate.
Agreed, and you're right Liverpool are an outstanding team. Which is exactly why it makes no sense for everyone to lose their shit after a defeat at their place, especially with key players missing. Were people actually confident of a win?

Rashfords injury aside it's not been a bad weekend. Everyone else dropped points and we've now our toughest fixture behind us. Beat Burnley and Wolves and we will be closer than 5 points from 4th I predict. Then a nice break and hopefully some players back. It's far from doom and gloom.

Josep Dowling

Keane slagged off Jose the entire time he was in charge, now he’s saying he needed more time? How did David Moyes need more, he lost the dressing room.

You give a manager time if you see progress, they have to earn that time. Simply giving a manager time does not mean things will suddenly come good. Do you know why Guardiola got time at City even when he finished 4th? Because he had a track record with Barcelona and Bayern and their football massively improved. Klopp won titles with Dortmund and other than their defensive errors the football was getting better and then he made the change with Van Dijk and Alisson. Ole doesn’t have a track record.

We have no midfield yet Ole can’t identify a single midfielder we can bring in to improve the team? Sells Lukaku who’s now one of the highest goal scorers in Europe with Inter whilst Martial still hasn’t got double figures.

You hire the best manager you can get in. Carragher is right no players improve with us.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 83% of 325 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw