PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Mon, 22 August 2022

Giggzy P

Christ we needed that.
Martinez is one clever CB, reads the game very well, so does Malacia to be fair. I hope Harry and Shaw don't come back into the team anytime soon.

The players actually worked hard and outfought liverpool in every department
Martinez was MoTM.

Overall a great game, uncomfortable in the last 10 minutes when we should have finished them off before they scored( Benny needs to coconcentrate on Rasford), and EtH should have pulled Eriksson out earlier, he looked tired.

Strelok

Just have a look at the MOTM voting I know Martinez was immense today and fans like his fighting spirit but imo Sancho should be MOTM. Scored the first very important goal and run his socks off all match. He probably made the highest number of sprints today.

Marwood

This is us at our absolute max in terms of effort. We haven't seen that in a long time.

And it's still only 2-3km more than Liverpool on an off night.

I just shows how far off our lot have been in terms of apllication. That tonight should just be standard like it is for Liverpool.

BigMarv10

Everyone is forgetting how good Elanga was first half, those runs in behind TAA were causing him nightmares. Shame he came off, but Martial was excellent when he replaced him. What a performance and ETH got it spot on.

cosimas

This is the way. Our best should be the bar we try and reach every game. Ten Hag needs to mash this into their brains, and call them out if they drop from this every time. Can he do it? I am optimistic he is that man.

Great game, made me proud to be a red. Get in.

Cantonagotmehere

Oh man, I cannot remember the last time I have felt like this.

All this shite going, thanks to ETH and the players for today. What a game. Why I love the game.

(I'll got back to being realistic tomorrow)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Too excited to say anything about the game other than feck yeah.

The effort all the players showed was outstanding, from start to finish. If we bring that intensity every game good things will follow.

reelworld

Christ we needed that.
Martinez is one clever CB, reads the game very well, so does Malacia to be fair. I hope Harry and Shaw don't come back into the team anytime soon.

The players actually worked hard and outfought liverpool in every department
Martinez was MoTM.

Overall a great game, uncomfortable in the last 10 minutes when we should have finished them off before they scored( Benny needs to coconcentrate on Rasford), and EtH should have pulled Eriksson out earlier, he looked tired.
He's also very well versed in the art of shithousery. Fecking love that

klayton88

We are not a very tall team. I think Maguire may have started if Nunez was available.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We’re all saying about running more but we had more of the ball against Brentford and only 29% tonight and consequently ran more.

Not that I’m taking anything away from tonight’s game because it was fecking amazing. Hopefully will be a springboard for our season

But could the lack of possession tonight be argued for running more? Surely that’s got to contribute to it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We are not a very tall team. I think Maguire may have started if Nunez was available.
Who's tall in Man City's team and especially ones you associate with towering headers? I cannot think of one off the top of my head because they just hog the ball.

We need to learn ten Hag ball but in the meantime, today will do.

Longshanks

Like the big games under ole, disrupt, soak up, hit on break with pace. Did the job though Liverpool struggled with our intensity in periods and we defended deep well when we ran out of steam.

Very noticeable how much better we looked going forward without Ronaldo. No coincidence there that Bruno, sancho and rashford suddenly looked dangerous and effective without Ronaldo on the pitch.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
So, we are winning the league, this season, right? :D

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Erik truly is a genius. He obviously looked at the fixture list, saw the scousers at game 3 and decided that was where he wanted his first ever points as a PL manager to come. Those first 2 games were just for shits and giggles

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Oh man, I cannot remember the last time I have felt like this.
I can. That night in Paris... When we beat PSG. It was a very long time ago, though. Time to have more of this, less of the last season's and last week's shitfeckery. Attitude is everything. We wanted to win today.

Gavinb33

Rashford, Martinez and Malacia were all sensational tonight.

But MoTM for me was Varane except one tactical foul he was unbelievable tonight barely even noticed him on the pitch silent domination to coin a phrase, my kind of defending just easy without fuss everything they came to him was dealt with very easily.

Laurencio

Like the big games under ole, disrupt, soak up, hit on break with pace. Did the job though Liverpool struggled with our intensity in periods and we defended deep well when we ran out of steam.

Very noticeable how much better we looked going forward without Ronaldo. No coincidence there that Bruno, sancho and rashford suddenly looked dangerous and effective without Ronaldo on the pitch.
Bruno seems to be incapable of not trying to find Ronaldo whenever Ronaldo is on the pitch. He becomes a less effective and versatile player. Must be a "play with your idol" thing.

izzydiggler

People take the piss out of ‘pashun’ but intensity and hard work means you can compete with anyone.

It’s been missing for a long time…it seems very obvious that ETH is going to demand it.

DickDastardly

Had a couple of great chances early on.

Sancho should have passed to Elanga in the 20th minute.

And if Elanga scored the first chance, that's 3-0 in the first 20 minutes.

RU Devil

I think Martial will have a renaissance under ETH. Seems ETH is getting a tune out of him & just need him to get a good run of games without a niggling injury. His hold up play was immense in the second half, much better than Rashford's. Ronaldo can do similar but doesn't have the energy to properly press.

Still not sure about the midfield. Not sure Eriksen really influenced matters as much next to McT, while Bruno was pretty good at releasing those in front. It's just that we can't control the game with that setup. We looked to be springing counters vs grabbing control. I know we set up this way due to Liverpool, but question how we setup vs teams we expect to dominate (or at least the onus is on us to probe & dominate possession).

RepardReece

Glad I didn't sell the tickets in the end! Spectacular match. Atmosphere was incredible, but who was the guy in Stretford end moaning all game, it's definitely someone in this forum!?

Work rate.... Wow, no words, that's what I want to see every week. Makes such a difference on how much I enjoy the match.

Chumpsbechumps

First time in a long while I won’t need a pick me up ride from the misses after a game against Pool. Will still sleep with a smile on my face, get the f^^k in….

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Ten Hag got it bang on in the first half with his team selection. Elanga, Sancho, Martinez all quality. Soon as they got the ball, get it forward. Nice to see. Yes Liverpool we’re missing some big players but do have Hnited over the last few seasons.

r1z3mu

Great game - THIS IS FOOTBALL!!!
So happy for fans, players. Hope this is start of something good. No, no - it is start of something great.
Martinez was amazing. Malacia looks better than anemic Shaw. Varane was the same CB that played for Real Madrid. Dalot was great too.
Ronaldo and Maguire where they suppose to be - on the bench.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We looked like a team for the first time in a couple of years. And we looked like a very good team in years and years.

The players were pumped from the first moment and supported each other throughout.

How I hope Varane stays fit and this central defensive partnership can consistently play.

AndyMUFC

Terrific. Loved the intensity and the attitude. Liverpool were rubbish. I know it’s easy to say but Maguire, Shaw and Ronaldo don’t show enough intensity to play like that.

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 583 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 0:5 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool