PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 January 2023

RopersReturn

One of the best things about this new rejuvenated Utd is that win, lose or draw they’re worth watching again. When City scored, all hope was not immediately lost, unlike during previous recent derby matches… I think this is close to a title-winning team and expect tougher games at Palace and Arsenal very soon. But I’ll be watching them with more than a modicum of hope — and that, given recent seasons’ experience, is plenty to be going on with for now.
For now I think it’s safe to say that we’re back and rightly so.

AdNani

I missed the Game. Means i've missed both Derbies this year. Wasn't bothered about the first one, more so about this, does anyone know when MUTV show the full 90?

Wheato

Just got back from the match after a celebratory Chinese, have only seen snippets of highlights, but what an atmosphere. All sides and tiers of the stadium was bouncing. It was just a wall of noise and the players fed off it.

Eyebrows were raised at the team selection, specifically asking Luke Shaw to mark Haaland. Even when they stood side by side it just looked wrong, but no, he prettymuch snuffed Haaland out of the game. I don't think Haaland even touched the ball in the whole of the second half.

It was clear that the game plan was to let them have the ball, but only up until a certain point and then make a tackle. Casemiro, Fred and Varane were excellent at this. As I have already mentioned, Haaland, Mahrez and De Bruyne were given special attention and whenever they received the ball they were set upon, sometimes in pairs. It deffo worked because I think they only had one shot on goal for the entire game. I don't recall De Gea making any saves at all. Foden and Silva did nothing, barely noticed they were playing.

We dominated most of the chances. In the first half, Rashford was clean through twice and Bruno also should have scored. If Rashford had've squared the ball to Martial he had an open goal to slot into. It should have been one nil. Then Rashford had that injury and for a 15 minute spell of the second half, City started to play. Grealish made a big impact, because he kept running into midfield and Erikson couldn't track him, he looked slighty off it today TBF. And then Grealish got the goal which you could have said was against the grain in terms of who was looking the most likely to score, and you sort of feared that City would grow in confidence and put the game to bed, but then Ten Hag put Garnacho on and suddenly Walker was in trouble. He didn't know whether to go with Garnacho or Rashord. And then it seemed that everytime we had the ball in midfield Garnacho, Rashford and Antony were off and running into space, and there were multiple options to play any one of them in. Walker was screaming at Mahrez to come back help, but Pep was screaming at him to go forward. You could see they were rattled and even though the goal was controversial (was he/wasn't he interfering with play) it was deffo coming. We were were going out for the win today. And you could smell it coming.

I'm certain that City fans, in their tinfoil hats, will hang on to the controversial moment. They always do, regardless. But they had one shot on goal. We cut off the supply to their forwards, we stopped them from being dangerous but they couldn't handle us going the other way. We should have been a couple of goals up in the first half.

We're deffo in a Title race now, but will the squad last the course? Martial, Rashford and Erikson all flagging today. Even Casemiro went down with cramp. I think we'll see the big Dutch man leading the line on Wednesday. Arsenal and City have a hard run of games now, so anything could happen in the coming weeks.

Lets have a look at the scalps we've had so far this season. Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and City.

Ten Hag is the real deal.

Charlie Foley

Just got back from the match after a celebratory Chinese, have only seen snippets of highlights, but what an atmosphere. All sides and tiers of the stadium was bouncing. It was just a wall of noise and the players fed off it.

Eyebrows were raised at the team selection, specifically asking Luke Shaw to mark Haaland. Even when they stood side by side it just looked wrong, but no, he prettymuch snuffed Haaland out of the game. I don't think Haaland even touched the ball in the whole of the second half.

It was clear that the game plan was to let them have the ball, but only up until a certain point and then make a tackle. Casemiro, Fred and Varane were excellent at this. As I have already mentioned, Haaland, Mahrez and De Bruyne were given special attention and whenever they received the ball they were set upon, sometimes in pairs. It deffo worked because I think they only had one shot on goal for the entire game. I don't recall De Gea making any saves at all. Foden and Silva did nothing, barely noticed they were playing.

We dominated most of the chances. In the first half, Rashford was clean through twice and Bruno also should have scored. If Rashford had've squared the ball to Martial he had an open goal to slot into. It should have been one nil. Then Rashford had that injury and for a 15 minute spell of the second half, City started to play. Grealish made a big impact, because he kept running into midfield and Erikson couldn't track him, he looked slighty off it today TBF. And then Grealish got the goal which you could have said was against the grain in terms of who was looking the most likely to score, and you sort of feared that City would grow in confidence and put the game to bed, but then Ten Hag put Garnacho on and suddenly Walker was in trouble. He didn't know whether to go with Garnacho or Rashord. And then it seemed that everytime we had the ball in midfield Garnacho, Rashford and Antony were off and running into space, and there were multiple options to play any one of them in. Walker was screaming at Mahrez to come back help, but Pep was screaming at him to go forward. You could see they were rattled and even though the goal was controversial (was he/wasn't he interfering with play) it was deffo coming. We were were going out for the win today. And you could smell it coming.

I'm certain that City fans, in their tinfoil hats, will hang on to the controversial moment. They always do, regardless. But they had one shot on goal. We cut off the supply to their forwards, we stopped them from being dangerous but they couldn't handle us going the other way. We should have been a couple of goals up in the first half.

We're deffo in a Title race now, but will the squad last the course? Martial, Rashford and Erikson all flagging today. Even Casemiro went down with cramp. I think we'll see the big Dutch man leading the line on Wednesday. Arsenal and City have a hard run of games now, so anything could happen in the coming weeks.

Lets have a look at the scalps we've had so far this season. Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and City.

Ten Hag is the real deal.
Enjoyed that

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Haven’t watched MOTD in ages. United beating City and Liverpool getting spanked. Best one in years.

andy0

Those folks commenting on me picking up my mum slightly early to get back in time for the telly, normally it would be at 2230-33, and it's about 13 minutes away, so I'm not ruining her whole evening.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
We all know where @No Idea For Nickname will be. :lol:
:lol:
@No Idea For Nickname needs a nickname like "expert on rival forums"!
More like "Turned alchoclic while reading Blue Moon"
Hopefully she reads that.
oh she did, she is everywhere, lazy biatch, except where she should be, family is hungryyy! Oh, well, they should go on a diet anyway...
Edited to make sure she knows the work is much appreciated
Thanks. It is fun.

Parma Dewol

I missed the Game. Means i've missed both Derbies this year.
I can top that. Remember the derby of 19/20, when McTominay scored from 40 yards in the 96th? That was the last game before lockdown - the wife and I opted not to go as she was pregnant and we didn’t want to risk it.

Fast forward to today and we both tested positive for Covid on Thursday. Wiped us both out and we couldn’t risk spreading it so didn’t go to the derby again. Talk about timing, what a game to miss.

andy0

Is that Patrice Evra's real hair now, or is he wearing a James Brown wig?

Pavl3n

How does De Gea get rating over 6 when they scored with their only shot on target is beyond me... People need to give their heads a wobble.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
How does De Gea get rating over 6 when they scored with their only shot on target is beyond me... People need to give their heads a wobble.
Being a goalkeeper is just about saving shots on target then?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You should replace Jenas on MotD. Razor-sharp analysis

AndyMUFC

Still absolutely buzzing. Did not see that coming after they scored and thought it would be a case of us rueing missing the Rashford chances in the first half.

Wezzaldo

Can’t wait to see the tears flowing tonight on match of the day when they dissect our goals.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:2 Man City