PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 October 2018

Crashoutcassius

So can the recently barrage of posts blaming the player for lack of effort simply stop now? I don't know how after watching that someone can say the players didn't care and are purposely trying to get rid of Mou
really looked that way in the first half. I posted that. Although I do think it more likely that that paper story (which we will shortly find out was made up i suspect)

FromTheBench

So you moan when he benches them and you moan when he plays them. Moan moan moan.
He needs to bench 2 of his favorites in lukaku and Matic for me. And stop rotating the rest. Give them time.

But more.importantly cna he change to a more attacking mentality?

redom

Thoroughly enjoyed that second half, some of the footy was great and to win like that in the last minutes always feels great. Martial was sublime at times and Sanchez did well when he came on. Just seeing the team really going for it and putting together some really nice phases of attacking play was refreshing to see.

JohnnyKills

Sorry to quote you twice but The Guardian just posted some excerpts.

This is some post-match interview from Jose Mourinho

“It wasn’t the substitutions that won the game – it was the desire, mentality and commitment. This is not about me, this is not about the players, this is about the club, and in the second half the players gave absolutely everytthing. Nothing more to give.

“I am 55 years old, I am mature, I can cope with it and live with being hunted. I think some of the boys are not coping well with it. The way they started the game was panicking (sic). I thought at some moments we could score in our own-goal. It’s not easy for them.

“For me it’s not easy too but I think life is made of experiences and some are new and some are déjà vu. This is new but I think it makes me a better manager and a better person because I understand things in human nature… the industry I work in is different, a lot of wickedness, too much wickedness in something that should be beautiful. I cope with it, with some sadness, but I’m a big boy. Clearly some of the boys – Marcus Rashford was sad on the pitch, Scott McTominay was scared on the pitch. All the players, they commit mistakes that are not normal. I think at half-time we had a good conversation. We didn’t promise to each other that we were going to win the match, but we promised we were going to give absolutely anything – without any fear, without any pressure. Just give everything, and they did. I don’t want to say we were lucky because we fought so much for that. Even if we don’t score the last goal, the feeling would be positive. Nobody can promise to win matches but a professional should promise to give everything.

“It’s ridiculous talk [that the players aren’t playing for him] – they don’t play for the manager, they play for the club. It’s not about that. What I asked the players is to give absolutely everything. We had little tactical touches of course, we risked a lot, we were trying to find the best way to play. In the end we won the match and I think we deserved to win. I think the fans deserved to win. At 2-0 at half-time, with all the dynamic of the man-hunting, I think they behaved amazingly well for the team. This is what a football club is.

“As a friend of mine was saying to me this morning, If it rains in London tomorrow, it’s my fault. Brexit, it’s my fault, and I have to be ready for this. There is a lot of wickedness and a clear man-hunting. It’s my life, it’s the life I love, it’s the life I worked with since I was a kid, and I will love it until my last day.”
Man-hunting sounds like a terrible dating show on ITV3.

Wicked.

KennyBurner

mourinho could have avoided all the newcastle goals if he just played he strongest backline which doesn't ever include ashley young. As a matter of fact most of mourinhos problems come from playing players that should not even be on the bench. Mourinho still needs to leave because I have no doubt ashley young will feature once again next week.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
So the neighbours thought I was beating someone at home during the match, this team isn't good for my health/vocal cords.

simmee

Sorry to quote you twice but The Guardian just posted some excerpts.

This is some post-match interview from Jose Mourinho

“It wasn’t the substitutions that won the game – it was the desire, mentality and commitment. This is not about me, this is not about the players, this is about the club, and in the second half the players gave absolutely everytthing. Nothing more to give.

“I am 55 years old, I am mature, I can cope with it and live with being hunted. I think some of the boys are not coping well with it. The way they started the game was panicking (sic). I thought at some moments we could score in our own-goal. It’s not easy for them.

“For me it’s not easy too but I think life is made of experiences and some are new and some are déjà vu. This is new but I think it makes me a better manager and a better person because I understand things in human nature… the industry I work in is different, a lot of wickedness, too much wickedness in something that should be beautiful. I cope with it, with some sadness, but I’m a big boy. Clearly some of the boys – Marcus Rashford was sad on the pitch, Scott McTominay was scared on the pitch. All the players, they commit mistakes that are not normal. I think at half-time we had a good conversation. We didn’t promise to each other that we were going to win the match, but we promised we were going to give absolutely anything – without any fear, without any pressure. Just give everything, and they did. I don’t want to say we were lucky because we fought so much for that. Even if we don’t score the last goal, the feeling would be positive. Nobody can promise to win matches but a professional should promise to give everything.

“It’s ridiculous talk [that the players aren’t playing for him] – they don’t play for the manager, they play for the club. It’s not about that. What I asked the players is to give absolutely everything. We had little tactical touches of course, we risked a lot, we were trying to find the best way to play. In the end we won the match and I think we deserved to win. I think the fans deserved to win. At 2-0 at half-time, with all the dynamic of the man-hunting, I think they behaved amazingly well for the team. This is what a football club is.

“As a friend of mine was saying to me this morning, If it rains in London tomorrow, it’s my fault. Brexit, it’s my fault, and I have to be ready for this. There is a lot of wickedness and a clear man-hunting. It’s my life, it’s the life I love, it’s the life I worked with since I was a kid, and I will love it until my last day.”

Wicked.
Are people really getting worked up over this? Great comments imho. Get the players to always play without fear and we are good to go.

Crashoutcassius

Interesting interview that mourinho thinks the paper talk affected the player. I would have to agree only because the first half was extra ordinary in how strange it was - I think it was either the players had given up to try have him sacked or the paper talk affected them.

W will probably find out in a few minutes that that journalist made the story up and I hope we ban his stories from the forum because he nearly cost us the game today, in my view

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
FWIW

This is it. The next match will tell whether jose will go, should go, or we have turned the corner.

It's only Newcastle at home, but with everything going before the match: jose sacking rumor, player down tool in the first half, 2-0 down, the possibility of jose losing his job if we lose, and suddenly the 2nd half every player fought hard and we finally won 3-0. Something i can't fathom. All they need to do to oust jose is pretend to play, let a goal or two and he'll be sacked in the morning, but they didnt.

If the next match i see unity and effort I'd say we have turned corner (a small first step this season i know). If it's the same old zombie football then as one of his biggest fan i must admit his time's up.

Canagel

Mourinho still has to go because this team is still out of position. You can't tell me this team can't be challenging at the top with the games we've already played. We've only played 90 good minutes this season. 1st half vs Tottenham and 2nd half today. 90 good minutes out of 720 is not good enough.

Blind

The fear was gone when they were 2-0 down, like the City game last season. Why they can't play without fear at 0-0, I don't know. Who to blame, I don't know. Is this another false dawn, probably.

Also Mata was superb, let him drift in midfield with Pogba against weaker teams.

joedirt87

Still want him sacked. Great job fighting back but we’ve seen that this type of comeback is an outlier and far from the norm. He continues to sabotage himself with the midfield and defense

Gordon S

Those last 20 minutes were unreal, i swear i saw 5, maybe even 6 players in their box, at the same time!

It's weird, almost like it's easier to score if you actually try to...

Jose deserves credit for that comeback, but he must also take blame for that first half.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This is the post match thread. Take your "Mourinho out" comments to the designated thread for feck sakes.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Has to go. What an embarrassing shambles that was. This season is a write off already. The entire atmosphere is toxic. Imagine cheering this chaotic win when we have Chelsea, Juve and City coming up. People are going to be hat
baying for blood soon enough. The team has no defensive organisation, and only look decent once they throw Mourinho’s tactics to the wind.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This should pen Jose's eyes that the way to let this team reach it's potential is to use it. i.e. attack at pace and force the game onto the opposition. Use the likes of Pogba to start off attacks rather than get involved half way through.

Unfortunately next game it will more than likely be a midfield three of whoever the tallest three available midfielders are and we'll be back to trying to win games by just strolling through them hoping nothing bad happens.

spiriticon

Those last 20 minutes were unreal, i swear i saw 5, maybe even 6 players in their box, at the same time!

It's weird, almost like it's easier to score if you actually try to...

Jose deserves credit for that comeback, but he must also take blame for that first half.
Exactly!!! I noticed that too!

It was unreal.

Sure it was just Newcastle and they are crap, but I saw the cavalier spirit back today. That spirit certainly wasn't there against Brighton and Derby.

rpitchfo

You can still see the mindset in his post match comments

“We took a lot of risks”

Yes Jose, do you know why it’s important to take high risks? High rewards!

Concentrate on your strengths rather than weaknesses. This is management 101 for me and why he still must go.

He still believes the team who make the least mistakes will win. That was football 10 years ago....

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
FWIW

This is it. The next match will tell whether jose will go, should go, or we have turned the corner.

It's only Newcastle at home, but with everything going before the match: jose sacking rumor, player down tool in the first half, 2-0 down, the possibility of jose losing his job if we lose, and suddenly the 2nd half every player fought hard and we finally won 3-0. Something i can't fathom. All they need to do to oust jose is pretend to play, let a goal or two and he'll be sacked in the morning, but they didnt.

If the next match i see unity and effort I'd say we have turned corner (a small first step this season i know). If it's the same old zombie football then as one of his biggest fan i must admit his time's up.
Yeah I'm thinking this too. It's the pragmatic choi

However, it was a good win and it's nice that the OT faithful and the RedCafe faithful had something to enjoy after such a tumescent start to the season. There was a lot of fight in the performance.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This should pen Jose's eyes that the way to let this team reach it's potential is to use it. i.e. attack at pace and force the game onto the opposition. Use the likes of Pogba to start off attacks rather than get involved half way through.

Unfortunately next game it will more than likely be a midfield three of whoever the tallest three available midfielders are and we'll be back to trying to win games by just strolling through them hoping nothing bad happens.
Reminisce the 6-0 victory, Noods. I still remember your after match comment under the tunnel when you said Newcastle were lucky to lose 6-0.

Fooza

Some say the players are the problem and not the manager.

Today the players weren't the problem, it's the manager - he should thank them for saving him some dignity.

We do have a decent team that just needs a better manager.

Simple

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I don't think anyone is suggesting this means the end of United's problems, but jeez guys crack a smile, come-backs like that are about as good as you can expect from a match like this.

TsuWave

They showed a pulse , because they wanted to do it and one of the reasons was him . They knew that if they wanted , they could leave it like this and spit on his job , but also the club and their names . Hope everyone grows in his mind from today and start acting like a team . We do not need another manager , we need this one with the players to click .
nah. we do need another manager.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
What are you taking about? I wasn't in the stadium but still enjoyed the win massively.
Oh drat I replied to wrong post. Apologies. And good on ya. It’s feckin painful in here. Again sorry bout that

arthurka

Its mixed emotions really, glad we won but we sucked really.

Terrible stuff mostly but got going when Mata scored. 90th minute winner is great but we should have hammered them . Came up vs a really poor team and scraped the winner. The result papers over the cracks, never been this torn over a 90th minute winner. Really liked the tempo and urgency though in the second half .

This changes nothing for me Jose needs to go, these players have a lot of talent and need to be capable of showing this more often.

Great to win again.

Yagami

Good post resistant

I think you'll definitely be right in regards to your 2nd paragraph. However, if what you say in paragraph 1 happens then I would be fine with giving him more time. It's just...it won't, will it?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Mourinho still has to go because this team is still out of position. You can't tell me this team can't be challenging at the top with the games we've already played. We've only played 90 good minutes this season. 1st half vs Tottenham and 2nd half today. 90 good minutes out of 720 is not good enough.
Well Ed will love you anyhow, and the rest of the Caf plastics.

Konimey

Great win, a comeback win is always the sweetest. The players out there showed that they have it in them to actually attack relentlessly and not play like a synonym for cats. But this is all papering over the cracks. If this was any other team than Newcastle we would have been eating the humble pie right now. The set up was all wrong, and one could see Jose's system is not working. Martial and Rashford are the same players that we all saw during LVG's reign, Jose has stunted their progress, their growth. We all are happy for this win, and we all should be, but let us not forget this was at OT against a team that is 19th in the table with zero wins and zero away goals. We made them look like City(especially with their sky blue jersey) in the first half, that is atrocious. United does not have a bad squad, but we are playing like a newly promoted team with Championship level players. I am not saying that i know what to do to change it, but i do know that something needs to change so that United are not a banter club anymore.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 63% of 731 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 481 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw