PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 December 2021

Ixion

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ole didn't actually come in and sort out the toxicity and bad attitudes in the club. Too many egos, pointing fingers.

RedIan

Ive got a banging headache watching that display.
first half as bad as I’ve seen. Defence all over the place, varand very rusty, Maguire slower than a tractor Stuck in mud, the passing was atrocious (again) Rashford was awful, mason anoymous, Fred back to Passing to the opposition.. Ronaldo well off the pace..

2nd half was better for 20 minutes and we had some control. Cavanis desire and movement the only class on show from us.. Once mctominay went off our midfield was wide open and Newcastle exposed us time and again, note to ralf, bruno and matic not the best sittI guess pair.

surely we can only get better.. a point gained but not deserved,

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Newcastle was very good... Or were they?
Norwich were good too weren't they ? They then got pulled apart by every other team since.

Same with watford.

I shit you not the Caf XI would have a chance to get a result against this team.

It's B Rubble

Bruno and his Hollywood passes haven’t been able to be as impactful as last season. He seems a broken record.. needs a proper kick up the wazoo.. VDB couldn’t have done any worse. Matic for McT should’ve been the half time move. Sancho was finally getting into the game as the final whistle blew. Ronaldo had no service with Cavani missing two opportunities to pull it back to him and Rashford running with blinders on. Why fred was taken off instead of McT is mind boggling. Scottish FA has dirt on Tom Brady.

IhabX7

Ralf has made mistakes in picking up the line up in every game so far. I feared he’s a snake oil salesman from day one and I hope I’m wrong but we usually see a team get galvanized by the arrival of a new manager but none of that has happened.

Dan_F

Rashford is a fecking disgrace. He can't do anything, and this can't be stressed enough, anything right at all. Drop him FFS.
I don’t think he was any worse than Bruno and Ronaldo. Sancho did create a little but also did some horrible stuff.

Honestly, taking Rashford out of that starting 11 does nothing to improve the team overall.

Deanor44

Other than Cavani & Dave saves, I have developed a real dislike to this group of starters, with Bruno, Pogba & Rashford in particularly unlikeable. Something needs to change. If we missed out on top 4 this season because RR dropped these cnuts and started some of our youth players who might actually try hard and not spend the game whinging like spoilt cnuts, I for one would accept it!!!

Jacob

We are not a team. We're a bunch of tactically inept individuals.

Gordon S

Our squad is probably a wee bit overrated but how can it be so damn hard to get a feckin tune out of this team? Ralfs ideas will take some time of course but the players look almost more lost now than before he took over. This was every bit as bad as anything we have endured this season. And that against Newcastle that concedes more than 2 goals on average this season.

Josh 76

Our players are just not good enough and the players that are good, are in poor form. Recipe for disaster.

stevoc

Somebody explain to me the idea of Rashford on right and Greenwood on left in first half?
Tactical hipster football play everyone out of position in a 4222 and hope it all turns out for the best.

Von Mistelroum

Genuinely think that whoever ends up being permanent manager has the biggest job in football trying to fix the club because the attitude and talent level from head to toe is shocking for a club of this size. Many of the players that are lauded as top talents here wouldn't get a look in at most top clubs with how sloppy and lazy and overall average they are. We need an almost complete overhaul of our playing staff, coaching staff and hiring philosophy. It's going to take a long time and a very strong desire for real change before we see real and lasting improvement.

Hester_manc

Ronaldo was so poor tonight. He has to start on the bench next time, and Cavani has to start in the no. 9 position.

Ixion

I'll take Rashford cocking things up and winning the occasional corner or creating a shot over some of the others who barely touched the ball and were anonymous.

Gopher Brown

What dirt has Maguire got on the world of football? Needs dropped and captaincy stripped from him. And the team as a while, everytime I think they cannot play any worse they prove me wrong
Football was caught in bed with his mum I think

Longshanks

The bizarre decision to completely remove a DM at half time and replace them with a striker removed any semblance of control we had the 2nd half was a horrible performance literally all over the place.

Sancho was terrible lots of very sloppy passes and touches. Fred fully deserved to be hooked at half time and rashford who was very poor in the first half improved to average for the second half and varane looked very rusty.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I've come up with a way to enjoy watching United again. Pay someone to cut the whole game apart from Cavani's involvement, sit back and enjoy the seven minutes, get on with your day.

Shimo

Give every player a big fat zero except for De Gea. Don't think there was a footballer on the pitch for us today, not a professional one at least. Epitomized by 80 mil CB that takes 5 touches to get the ball out of his feet as time is running out with no one near him.

Worst team in the league should have beaten us handily.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
After that Varane performance - the worst from a CB that I can remember since maybe Evans vs West Ham 0-4- how is he not the lowest rated player? This place really has its set preferences!

Ollie Derbyshire

Joelinton, Shelvey & Longstaff dominated our midfield when they had too that says it all really.

Shocking team cohesion and the usual abysmal passing display from everyone. We can’t do the basics at all.

Rustyspider13

Terrible. We have all these supposed great players yet ASM showed how one player can make all the difference. Newcastle left it all on the pitch today, our players just couldn't be focused. It may be an after effect from covid, but I've seen many of these lackadaisical displays to get a nagging feeling that they are just not right mentally. I hope I'm wrong and players can shake this off.

Our goal came from Bruno receiving a pass under pressure and then spreading it wide for the cross with two touches. That's what we need in midfield, players who can pass the fecking ball. I'll give props to Cavani for the goal, but he really should have had another and should have set up Ronaldo from the GK error.

We need a midfielder yesterday. Ideally we need two. I don't care about the should an interim manager be making signings bs. We are extremely poor in midfield and it needs to be sorted. I am glad Rangnick made the changes at half time, shows that he's proactive. But the formation isn't sitting right with our players and some tweaks will be needed. If not in terms of formation, then in terms of personnel.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

First of all - criminal to not start Lindelöf, who has been our best player the last couple of months.

Varane was a liability, Fred and Mctominay passengers and Ronaldo absolutely invisible, bar some tantrums. Rashford was poor, but Sancho was arguably worse in his half than any of Rashfords. And while Bruno managed to play one good pass for the goal, he did nothing else and yet again shows his influence on games are sporadic and unreliable.

Considering this, and the fact that we had no structure to the play or urgency after Matic entered the field, it's baffling and will continue to be baffling if players like Lingard and De Beek still won't get a look in the team the next weeks. It's been said before I know, but this club almost seems cursed with players on the bench who they refuse to sell and refuse to play while the playing players struggle match after match.

redom

The rest of this season is going to be a painful watch isn't it?

The only glimmer of hope I have is that maybe, just maybe, if we can get a little run of wins + performances going to boost the confidence and get a better mentality throughout the squad then we might see a better version of this team in the second half of the season but I'll admit it doesn't look likely with so many basic errors and poor decisions constantly occuring.

Ixion

After that Varane performance - the worst from a CB that I can remember since maybe Evans vs West Ham 0-4- how is he not the lowest rated player? This place really has its set preferences!
He and Cavani haven't played for a while so that has to be kept in mind

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Compare and contrast to the first 30 minutes in his first game. Wtf is happening? I'm so so confused.
Not sure some players in this team want to work that hard. They want to stroll about. City can do that because they can hold the ball, they can pass accurately and simply. If they lose the ball they get it back instantly.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
First of all - criminal to not start Lindelöf, who has been our best player the last couple of months.

Varane was a liability, Fred and Mctominay passengers and Ronaldo absolutely invisible, bar some tantrums. Rashford was poor, but Sancho was arguably worse in his half than any of Rashfords. And while Bruno managed to play one good pass for the goal, he did nothing else and yet again shows his influence on games are sporadic and unreliable.

Considering this, and the fact that we had no structure to the play or urgency after Matic entered the field, it's baffling and will continue to be baffling if players like Lingard and De Beek still won't get a look in the team the next weeks. It's been said before I know, but this club almost seems cursed with players on the bench who they refuse to sell and refuse to play while the playing players struggle match after match.
Lindelof tested positive for Covid.

yipthatman

So disappointed with that. RR hasn't had alot of time but should be enough to exact some sort of control against Newcastle.
What is it with people coming to Manchester United and just turning to shite?? Players, coaches..everyone.
I have noticed this too. It's a pattern for years now. I think maybe we pay too much and give too much security in the contracts. They are pampered. For the older ones it seems it's a place where people come to retire on a fat contract.

minoo-utd

Why Ralf don’t shout to that clown in defense and rush him to play the ball quicker? I’d take any young defender now instead of him.

Rashford shouldn’t start too.

But what worries me most is I can’t get what we were really trying to implement here? That performance against these lot is a horrible sign.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That game was a thief of joy. Although I did laugh when we conceded. It such a United goal to concede that I wasn't even mad. Maguire is so dumb that it's just funny at this point.

Though I was annoyed when we had a throw-in late on, with Ronaldo in acres of space and their goalkeeper way off his line, and the Newcastle player ran off with the ball. Ronaldo probably would have spooned it out of St James Park anyway, but that's not the point.

Banana Republic

Outmuscled and outrun By Newcastle, despite the overwhelming amount of possession.
First half the front 4 were hopeless.
Bruno misplacing passes all over the place.
Newcastle we’re unlucky.
2 missed tap-ins, hitting the post, a disallowed goal (correctly) and DDG’spulling off some fantastic saves.
On another day we’d have been totally embarrassed.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 90% of 292 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw