g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 September 2017

AN17

Really? Because I thought winning games where you're second best is exactly what's needed to win the league.
We were asking for it, the way we played for the entire second half. Just because we got away with it, doesn't mean we will the next time around. Granted such games will be few and far between, it could prove decisive in case of a close run title race.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It is one extreme to the other on here, some predicting 4-0, when there is always a chance that our performance might drop for some games, or it was going to be a draw. We won. That is what matters at the moment. We have lost one of our good players, so need to pick up results until he is back.

MJJ

You think the only reason we scored and kept a clean sheet was luck? Seriously some of our fans are ridiculous
Yes? Another day and one of their chances would have gone in. They had 61% possession, 14 shots to our 9 and 8 corners to our 4. Majority of the time, the team that has more of the ball and creates more chances wins or draws.

AKDevil

Not seen the game but what I will say is that’s three points from another fixture that we drew last season, regardless of performance. So 8 points up.

JustinC00

To be fair, defenders always seem to get extra help. Jones must have gone down easily 3-4 times with a little contact to buy fouls. We didn't moan then
Doesn't change the point I was trying to make. If all those are fouls barreling into an attacking player who has the ball or is going for the ball with no intention of trying to win the ball is 100% a foul.

podurban2

Yes? Another day and one of their chances would have gone in. They had 61% possession, 14 shots to our 9 and 8 corners to our 4. Majority of the time, the team that has more of the ball and creates more chances wins or draws.
Is your name Brendan Rodgers? :lol:

Varun

Staff
They didn't really create many chances. I do think they deserved a draw but that's more because of how they played rather than their end product. For all their control in the 2nd half, they created very little.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Are we to ignore our chances then? Or do they not count.

We defended very well, that's why we came away with 3 points.

The Bloody-Nine

It was abysmal, do you think otherwise? :lol: That second half will not be considered anything other than shocking from us just because we had a couple of good chances. Take your blinkers off pal and call it how it is.

I'm more than happy with the 3 points, I'll take and like I said, we were great in the first half, but I'm sorry you are not going to argue a case for us in that second half with me pal, nah. :lol:
I didn't think it was abysmal, no. We were abysmal under LvG on many occasions (game after game without mustering a goddamn shot on target). This was a poor second half, in which we still had the best chance to score.

Might want to cool it with the hyperbole, chum.

Red Star One

I think I'm having a slight déjà vu...

devil in me

Was always going to be that sort of game (predicted a scrappy 1-0 before KO!). Result is all that maters in such games. Need to batter Palace next week.

MJJ

Are we to ignore our chances then? Or do they not count.
14 shots to our 9 and 8 corners to our 4. Majority of the time, the team that has more of the ball and creates more chances wins or draws.

What part of that is ignoring our chances?

They didn't really create many chances. I do think they deserved a draw but that's more because of how they played rather than their end product. For all their control in the 2nd half, they created very little.
I can remember atleast three that could have been a goal, yup personally think a draw was a fair result.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I didn't think it was abysmal, no. We were abysmal under LvG on many occasions (game after game without mustering a goddamn shot on target). This was a poor second half, in which we still had the best chance to score.

Might want to cool it with the hyperbole, chum.
It was abysmal. No hyperbole here, chief.

Anyway glad of the 3 points, lets agree to disagree. ;)

shield

We can't play Mkhi and Mata together, if Pogba is not there. Far too lightweight and they keep getting bullied again and again. They need a solid base to be played together. Should have gone for a mid three from the start of the 2nd half.

Also, what is wrong with Mkhi. Just blowing hot and cold. Looked like he was getting back to his best but has been struggling to move the ball without losing it, for quite some time now.

Still, I don't remember them creating anything meaningful. Few half chances here and there. They had plenty of possession, and we were definitely poor, but we defended OK.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
That monstrosity of a post that you eventually managed to successfully edit. ;)
Bolded the last bit of your post, and if you bold into the quote brackets (which I did), then it adds the quote at the end of the post.

Nick7

14 shots to our 9 and 8 corners to our 4. Majority of the time, the team that has more of the ball and creates more chances wins or draws.

What part of that is ignoring our chances?
Probably because every time, the team that scores more wins. Getting more shots isn't a sign of a better attacking team.

ivaldo

Shots and corners do not not equate to chances. You can shoot every time you get the ball, it's doesn't mean you had the better chances.

SAFicus

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate that Mourinho now has subs on the bench that he trusts and knows how to use to handle anything from a tough situation like today to a situation like at Swansea.

The first year has done wonders for Mourinho. He now knows his squad and who to trust to close these games.

Promising stuff.

Reactions: Penna

RedDevil95

This wasn't our best performance (we can't play well every week).There are two teams on a football pitch, Southampton made it difficult for us and pressed very well.

We defended well, got a clean sheet and most importantly we won. Mourinho likes to win ugly and he is a proven winner. We are still level on points with City. Let's look to the next game. DONE

Smores

Nothing to do with our defenders performance then?
Im sure if we scored 4 you'd be saying it was luck as on another day their goalie may have saved chances.

They had feck all clear chances who cares how many shots they had

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Delighted with the win. Granted we didn't play well after the break, but we all know how important it is to get the three points in such difficult games where the performance is not convincing enough.

MJJ

Nothing to do with our defenders performance then?
Im sure if we scored 4 you'd be saying it was luck as on another day their goalie may have saved chances.

They had feck all clear chances who cares how many shots they had
Lets not create strawmen shall we? Im sure if they had scored, you would be here moaning about jose being too defensive.

JustinC00

So then using your logic on another day Rashford's FK goes in and Herrera puts it into the back of the net and we win 3-0

ivaldo

Which they didnt but let just ignore that.
They didn't. They also didn't create any more quality chances than we did, no matter how many times you tell us the amount of shots they had, but we will ignore that too.

MJJ

So then using your logic on another day Rashford's FK goes in and Herrera puts it into the back of the net and we win 3-0
Yes if you want to reduce my logic to all of their chances going in while we miss all of ours then yeah. Not sure why you would want to do that but who am I to stop you.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 536 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 22% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd