PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 9:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 February 2021

redshaw

Think we drew against 10 men in the last 12 months and face similar banks of 9 or 10 with 80% possession without fashioning a real chance so to make very light work of Southampton is still very good.

GMoore23

BT still going on about VAR. Acting like someone just died.
If Southampton had just whipped us 9-0 they'd be in a frenzy of excitement the cnuts.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Of course they have to make a big deal about the 'rules' once they benefit us....

tjb

Big takeaway from this was how improved Luke Shaw has been. People keep saying he's improved due to the competition with Telles, I think he's learnt some offensive skills from him in actuality.

It also confirmed how good we could be if we put the ball into the box more often. We have a very narrow 3 man attack...rather than having two midfielders who sit, the more offensive midfielder should be another source of providing deeper crosses. Through balls are very hard to come by when dealing with deep blocks, but bombarding teams with crosses can be a useful tool, especially as we will never be as incisive as a City is.

We're also an attacking team rather than a possession team. This game showed that we would rather create than hold on to the ball for long periods of the game if given the opportunity. The only reason we keep pointless possession and have been slow to build ups have been because our midfield pivot has struggled with helping our defence to bring the ball out of defence. Having midfielders who are able to move the ball quicker would help us immensely, as we already have good flank interplay.

Greenwood looked great today. I really wanted him to score.

meamth

Why pity them?

It's not just players gone soft these daysclike Roy Keane said, the fans went soft too!!

I enjoy seeing our opposition feeling miserable, getting bad decisions from ref, injustice, whatever it is.

Ruthless.

VivaRonaldo85

Fantastic performance making playing against ten men look effortless. Why we are so sporadic with performances after the dross from last week to the lovely football played tonight, I’ll never know.

Great for many players confidence who were in a rut particularly Martial’s. Cavani showing his utter class and is clearly our number one striker now. What a result and bonus for the GD too.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
To people playing it down: you dont need 10 outfield defenders. They slung 9 behind the ball like most teams do and we regularly passed through them like nothing. Dont get me wrong, it wouldn't have been so many with more players, but I'm fairly sure it would have been a straight forward win anyway.

Besides, just fecking enjoy it, it's not gonna happen very often and it should boost a few player's confidence as well as boost our goal difference.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Think he was partial to a dive now and again. We won 9-0. They really are nit picking over a goal when the game was well and truly dead.
Absolutely!

If that was Salah he wouldn't be carrying on like this.

I don't agree with the red card but it's a penalty for me.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The best thing about this game was our fullbacks scored and assisted in droves, after never doing that ever

hubbuh

Jake Humphrey “We’re sitting here talking about a refereeing decision after a joint record Premier League victory. What does that tell you?” That you brought it up you clown.
Yeah they've spent the entire post-match talking about about that one fecking decision. They even showed the Arsenal highlight ffs. Absolute joke.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's all about the mad double jeopardy rule now, but for us it was the ideal blowout after losing our shooting boots for a few league games. Southampton gave us every opportunity to put them to the sword but taking that chance with both hands in the way we did takes some doing.

While that game was by no means a forensic study of where we are now as a team it was great to spread so many goals around, get the three points and close the goal difference gap so empathetically. The whys and wherefores are only just beginning but for us it's a great evening's work.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Think he was partial to a dive now and again. We won 9-0. They really are nit picking over a goal when the game was well and truly dead.
It's ridiculous. We've won 9-0 and all the talk is about VAR and how it may or may not have been a pen. As if it matters.

Spark

That pen was soft, but it's not the most outrageous decision of all time. That tit Hoddle is banging on like it was a game changer.
End of the day, Martial got in front, got lightly clipped and bought a pen. Harsh red, but I genuinely think that Southampton's disallowed goal was a worse decision.

Either way, feck it. What a game. First time I can remember in a long time where I've seen us continue to hammer a team after scoring a few quick goals.

Some fast subs from Ole in the second half that were unnecessarily risky in my opinion, however do understand wanting to give some of the fringe players an opportunity to do something. Shame that VDB was a passenger, do think his time will come but it's looking tough at the moment.

onemanarmy

You can clearly see our forwards are finally getting in some kind of form. Rashford, Greenwood and maybe even Martial. We are playing a good season while our forwards are pretty disappointing. Imagine them scoring for fun...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Any negativity tonight I swear I will cut people.

SprintTriathlon

Only we could score 9 goals and still have a matchday thread full of constant moaners.
That is what you focus on? We won 9-0, stop whining. about the moaners.
(..waiting for the one saying stop moaning about those that moan about the moaners ..)
Fun game though!

Mr.Kaya

What a match lads! Who would've thought we'd write history like this today?! 9-0 lads lets go!

tjb

As much of a freak result as the Sheffield United defeat, just for different reasons obviously. Southampton were already so depleted that they had to give a full debut to a kid, and then he went and got himself sent off. It was never going to go well from that point. Then, as if things weren't bad enough at 6-0, another red card led to another three goals right at the end. Still, 6-0 would have been an excellent result for United regardless, and it would have been proof that they're a good side - and proof that any hyperbolic screeching after the Sheffield United game was misplaced. United are a good-but-limited side with a good-but-limited manager. This has always been true and it will always be true. It doesn't mean you can't win the league this season, it doesn't mean you will win the league this season.

But this last week should be proof that trying to read into United's performances at the moment is a pointless exercise. Beat Liverpool, lose to the worst PL team in living memory, then go and batter Southampton 9-0. Think United have to be careful to enjoy this kind of scoreline without focusing on it too much - it'll likely galvanize you but it could just as easily go to your heads. There's a long way to go yet, and all teams are due another sticky patch I'm sure, but it seems City, United and Liverpool are so much better suited to this kind of season than the other 4/5 teams who considered themselves "title contenders" before Christmas. There are obviously games in hand all over the shop, but I'd be hugely surprised if the top three were any different come May/June. Up to City to go and win at Burnley and then try to avoid defeat at Anfield at the weekend.
Think people have been purposely too harsh on United. If any other team had been in the position we are and had the type of week we had prior to this result, it would not have been judged nearly as harshly. You had pundits questioning whether our team were frightened of a title challenge, yet have been quiet when it comes to the blip in form for other teams. I understand that United attracts more attention than other teams, but I found the anticipation and descent over a bad result a bit weird. The truth is we aren't the best team in the league, we have a few weaknesses holding us back from being that, everyone knows what those weaknesses are and they showed their face in the Sheffield United result. Mentality had nothing to do with it. Martial not being a United no.9, inconsistencies due to the youth and lack of experience of the rest of the front line and Tuanzebe and Telles not being up to United Starting levels played a big part.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I will agree that the offside call was harsh and the second red card too but the media have completely forgotten the cavani pen that was denied to us.

Dudu

A team lost 9-0 and BT Sport spend 30 min discussing a debatable red card....in the 86th min!
On the PL Broadcast feed, Shearer and Wright moaning about the RC and the offside call. I've heard about 10 "pathetics" between the two of em.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Can I be disappointed that we didn't get 10?
We'll we were denied a stonewall pen in the first half and they only added 3 mins at the end despite VAR taking 3 mins each for that offside call and the second red card and ignoring 5 goals scored and substitutions made. I think 10 additional mins should have been added.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Ole doesn't want to be here, sits on his bench punching the air like he's got a bet on supermarket sweep

Irwinning

I feel delighted for the win, the goal difference and delighted for Tony coming on after a bad spell and getting a brace...

However, tonight was an opportunity for Mike Dean to draw a line in the sand against simulation. I understand why he gave the pen, and the subsequent red card. In a game, though, where the result was already secured, I would rather Mike Dean (A ref who has a bit of reputation for attention seeking, deserved or not) would either wave this off or even give a yellow to Martial.

Also VAR/stoppage time: 3 minutes for the first half and three minutes for the second half. Incorrect. TV should not dictate how much stoppage time there should be. Var alone took 5 or more minutes. Both halves required 5mins+ which in turn may have meant we broke our own record.

Wilt

Second time Southampton lost 9-0 ...amazing/shocking

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I don't even know what happened. Let alone how.

Crazy squad. Crazy season. Crazy world.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton