g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 February 2022

darko

Feel we’re gonna be very disappointed about this in Summer. We’re notorious for keeping shite on, as it means the Glazers don’t have to fork out for a complete reset when the new manager arrives, which we’ve needed since day 1 of Moyes really.

If we don’t get 2 new CM, our biggest weakness, along with what I’d say is 4 additional players (2 at the front and 2 at the back), expect the same next season. Have we ever signed 6 players/half a first team? I won’t hold my breath.
Are you planning on them spending £200 million in the summer?

daveskimufc

It's strange how I feel almost no attachment to United anymore. The unlikeable squad, clueless board, the owners, stupid player recruitment, bad manager choices time after time, the Greenwood saga, the unproportionate focus on sponsorship deals etc.
Feel the same. And it makes me feel like such a glory fan, there for the good, disappear for the bad.

but this is soo bad, I can’t even comprehend.
Just play the kids now. Seriously. Now. February. Then they will have at least a dozen games under them for next season.
The must player Harry maguire attitude is so stupid. We’ve been waiting 3 years for him to “come good” now.

feel sorry for big DDG. One of only a few to have seen the good times and then lived through this sh!t

Roane

Agree with a lot of what has been said.

One thing not mentioned is DDG role in their goal.

Thought falling down and sticking out a leg was atrocious keeping. Something he does a lot from those angles.

He is getting praise on here and I think on the line reaction saves he is brilliant at. But simply doesn't command his area. Adams shouldn't have scored from there with the position DDG had taken up. It was his reaction of sticking out a foot rather than diving forward that makes that goal.

united for life

The problem is that some fans will say they are seeing improvement. What improvement, we still can not control midfield against small teams, imagine when we face the likes of city, liverpool and chelsea. They’ll kill us.

feels like every game is the same now

Menace

I feel numb to United results again this season at this stage as I guess many do.

I am currently sat in the 'acceptance' part of the 7 stages of grief.

Watching this team is like a Saw movie, you know a gory and bloody death is coming, you hope they escape but you know they are not the main character of the movie so they are definitely dead, you hope to god you are wrong and then yeah you are right, they are dead.

T_Model101

There 100% has to be changes for the next match. Telles, Fred, Lingard and Elanga all need to come in at the very minimum
Rashford, Ronaldo and Shaw don't look motivated at all

croadyman

Weak with a capital W yet again, cannot hold on to a lead for three games in a row is totally unacceptable and don't deserve top four at all

Goku1983

I was at the game today it was shocking how bad we were second half we just have to forget this season and start over its been a disaster for what ever reason

Laurencio

The problem is that some fans will say they are seeing improvement. What improvement, we still can not control midfield against small teams, imagine when we face the likes of city, liverpool and chelsea. They’ll kill us.

feels like every game is the same now
First half was OK, we needed someone quicker and more hard working than Rashford on the left though. We were getting exposed there constantly, and McT saved us by fouling players on that side to give Shaw and Maguire time to get back. Which is why taking him off was mind boggling. We needed Lingard on at HT, better defensively and a better touch than whatever it was Rashford was doing out there.

We make it far too hard on ourselves IMO. We make the opposition look better than they are by not keeping up with the tactical changes the opposition makes. That has not changed with Ralf in charge. What we are better at is pressing and off the ball movement - but that isn't enough at this level.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
His man would have been offside if was not for Luke Shaw playing him onside.
For sure. still doesn't excuse him for leaving him completely unmarked. Just like with Rodriguez the other day, he didn't even look at his man. He was too busy ball watching, but we better not say anything about that. It's all Maguire's fault. Right?

AndyMUFC

As expected, crap again. Same old players putting in the same terrible performances and lack of effort. We basically gave them all the chance in the world to get back into the game after the goal.

Brighton will dominate against us on Tuesday as well. What a season.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The reaction here and you’d think Ole was still managing the team.

When in reality we are a much better team and look coached. Problem is we cannot score. Which in itself is a huge problem but it’s better than where we have been.

If we’d had won the last 3 games 1-0 and not drew 1-1, it would be a lot different in here that’s for sure

Oranges038

Sure, Shaw should be level with his centre halves. still doesn't excuse Varane for not even looking at his man. He was ball watching again, just like on Tuesday
But he stepped into midfield. Which is what Maguire did the other night, which if I remember correctly is what you were adamant that he should have done. Varane u like Maguire just doesn't dive in, but he's also just not tight enough.

The problem once again is Shaw, he is not holding with the line even before Varane steps up, same as against Burnley, he kept everyone onside. You could have drawn a diagonal line across the back 4 to the corner flag, that's unacceptable at any level.

united for life

The board's main concern before the match probably was that the credit card readers were all working in the concessions.
First half was OK, we needed someone quicker and more hard working than Rashford on the left though. We were getting exposed there constantly, and McT saved us by fouling players on that side to give Shaw and Maguire time to get back. Which is why taking him off was mind boggling. We needed Lingard on at HT, better defensively and a better touch than whatever it was Rashford was doing out there.

We make it far too hard on ourselves IMO. We make the opposition look better than they are by not keeping up with the tactical changes the opposition makes. That has not changed with Ralf in charge. What we are better at is pressing and off the ball movement - but that isn't enough at this level.
that’s the problem. The first half was not OK. Playing southampton at home should mean we boss the game in midfield and give them very small room on the ball. The game was so open it was not what we need. We have been so bad for a long time that people forgot what it means to dominate games. I’m not sure how old you are and when you started watching united, ive been watching united since 1996 and i know very well what it means to absolutely demolish opposition. What we saw today was simply average at best

Laurencio

that’s the problem. The first half was not OK. Playing southampton at home should mean we boss the game in midfield and give them very small room on the ball. The game was so open it was not what we need. We have been so bad for a long time that people forgot what it means to dominate games. I’m not sure how old you are and when you started watching united, ive been watching united since 1996 and i know very well what it means to absolutely demolish opposition. What we saw today was simply average at best
Since when did OK mean anything other than OK? I did not say good, nor acceptable and certainly said nothing about demolishing the opponent. I was very clear on the previous page that I am not at all happy with how we played or how we kept up with how the match evolved. It is odd that you've read that into what I wrote.

united for life

Since when did OK mean anything other than OK? I did not say good, nor acceptable and certainly said nothing about demolishing the opponent. I was very clear on the previous page that I am not at all happy with how we played or how we kept up with how the match evolved. It is odd that you've read that into what I wrote.
Take it easy mate, we’re just chatting. No need to be defensive about it. All i’m saying is that this performance today is not even OK. Won’t elaborate more so I won’t offend you (without knowing of course).

JG3001

Are you planning on them spending £200 million in the summer?
With what we need, and the apparent lack of scouting, I think we’ll need more than that to get where we want to be. Sancho and Varane alone were about £120m? And we are not great at getting money back on our outcasts either.

Need a hard reset for any incoming manager. Otherwise we’ll be here in another 3 seasons asking which 2/3 players are left to complete the jigsaw, whilst struggling to compete for 4th.

Toblerone92

Initially I was pissed I couldn’t watch the game today, but after reading the comments here it seems all I missed was another insipid performance from Bare Minimum United and I didn’t waste two hours of my life like I do most weekends. Chuffed.

Laurencio

Take it easy mate, we’re just chatting. No need to be defensive about it. All i’m saying is that this performance today is not even OK. Won’t elaborate more so I won’t offend you (without knowing of course).
Which is a point we both agree on. We should be way better both tactically and in terms of player performance. We are well off the level we should expect.

As for offended, of course not - it's a forum where we all post opinions, rants and random thoughts.

Fitchett

Good first half, but paid the price for not scoring more when we were on top. Slipped back again in the 2nd half. Southampton showed their small team mentality with an abundance of time wasting and feigning injury throughout the second half.

Attwell was again an appalling referee. How did we pick up four yellow cards, whilst Southampton got none, despite them conceding more fouls than we did?

House Mkhitaryan

Ronaldo is an absolute liability if he can't be clinical. He doesn't have the legs for movement off the ball and can't provide any help pressing.

The Greenwood situation, loaning Martial, washed up looking Ronaldo and injured/off form Cavani have us in a real predicament. IMO Ronaldo has to be benched. Maybe Rashford striker with Lingaard out wide or Fred slotting into midfield with Bruno false 9.

Heinzesight

I’m annoyed but not as fecked off as I should be as I expected it. We aren’t shit, we are just painfully average in most departments and being thick as pigshit seems to be contagious in our squad.

Atwell is fecking clueless along with most of the PL refs. The standard of officiating is in the gutter.

SirScholes

Thought falling down and sticking out a leg was atrocious keeping. Something he does a lot from those angles.

He is getting praise on here and I think on the line reaction saves he is brilliant at. But simply doesn't command his area. Adams shouldn't have scored from there with the position DDG had taken up. It was his reaction of sticking out a foot rather than diving forward that makes that goal.
So much going wrong in the goal
And de gea is what you pick up on?
great finish
No keeper is saving it

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
The board's main concern before the match probably was that the credit card readers were all working in the concessions.
Sure the owners and board only care about making money. It still doesn’t take away from the fact we have more than enough current resources to win at least one game from fecking Middlesbrough, Burnley and Southampton.

croadyman

It's hard to watch 90 min time after time and see the same mistakes and same issues. Quite frankly season could finish today and I wouldn't care less. The mentality of these players is so weak I cannot breve any coach in the world can work with them.
Yeah utterly pathetic mentality from this rabble yet again so wouldn't blame any managerial candidate one bit from running a mile

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

He totally reduced the size of the distance he could cover by doing that. It was odd keeping.
He was in a great position, Adams can only hit one area, yet he's sitting down, leg out, instead of diving across.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 69% of 204 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw