PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 August 2022

BuzzKillington

Really up there with one of the worst games we played over the last 10 years only with the exception we managed to get a goal this time. We really created nothing and parked the bus with zero quality on and off the ball.

Us becoming the midtable team is one of the biggest tragedies in my life tbh, can't watch this shit anymore. People will say win is a win, good to have some positive people around but from the body language of more than half the players who featured today we will see that the season will be incredibly long and only a bad season to one of the top6 teams will get us top6. We lack quality all over the pitch and other minor teams play good enough football to beat us these days.

It's like a coin flip, is it gonna be a 4:0 beating like against Brentford or we managed to get some points in a goalless draw or a tight win like today, the next time we play? To be honest I would rather us to play around TOP8 and good football than this antifootball, only to finish 6th maximum anyway.

Season is long and things will get better but watching some decisions by the manager and his new favourite players really keeps me in the worrying mode.
Melodramatic much? This game is up there with the 5-0 against the scousers at home last year? The 4-0 against Brighton last season, the 4-0 against Brentford this season. We just won, City and Liverpool win ugly some weeks too, get over yourself.

Jaonz

No matter how scappy it is. A win is a win. But I have to say this; The 3rd kit is horrendous.

RedMilo

Gritty win. Some good defensive performances. We made it difficult for ourselves at times by giving the ball away too cheaply, Elanga was the main culprit for this.

Watching the game with my dad, and he said on the 90th minute, when did they bring Rashford on :lol: summed it up really, as an attacking force we were none existent, apart from the goal.

Definitely, need more quality both in midfield and upfront as well, as we won't score enough goals otherwise, to make top 4 in my opinion. Less than a week left in the window, important week is an understatement.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Apart from a few nervy moments, I thought Dalot had a good game. A disciplined performance, and a decent display of no-fuss football.

Rojofiam

Ugly win, but we didn't concede and scored a class goal. Evident that there's tonnes of work to do.

Would be great if we could regularly grind out wins like this one this early in the rebuild. Would show a lot of character and maybe we could get CL football

CloneMC16

The result matters more than the performance, but going forward, we're really bad. The midfield and forwards struggle to keep possession. We try so many long passes from Bruno and Eriksen. Vast majority of them don't come off and we give the ball straight back to the opposition. We had that flurry of chances in the first half and the goal. We didn't really create anything else.

Without Martial, we need a striker that can hold the ball up. Rashford isn't a striker. With him playing, I'm certain we see a better performance overall.

We do look more solid defensively, though. I think all our defenders played well. McT also had a good defensive performance. We desperately needed to be more solid at the back. It's been way too easy to score against us. We also stopped our losing run away from home. First time we've kept a clean sheet since last year, I think?

I'm not happy with the defensive effort from Sancho today. He walked about and jogged at absolute best when we didn't have possession. There were so many people complaining about him being subbed in the match thread. He was walking about when we were holding on to a 0-1 lead.

There is no chance ETH will be happy with this performance. We lacked control throughout the whole game.

DevilRed

Really important result to keep building upon.

We're not going to be playing champagne football anytime soon.

But grinding out results and keeping clean sheets will make a world of difference.

If we get in one or two more signings (and get rid of wantaways), then we can really start building momentum towards the WC.

Its the first time since Feb we've won back to back. feck me.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Solid defensive performance. Our attack needs to do more. The reason we can’t seem to control games is because our attack keep losing the ball and inviting pressure back onto us. Rashford and Elanga were particularly shit.

RvNPas

A good win, and finally have confidence even under constant attacks because of the back 4.

Good result, I think our performances will get better once we get better players. You can’t play possession football with some of these guys.

Kag

We played like a team that got pumped by Brighton and Brentford in the first two games of the season.

There’s an unbelievable amount of work to be done, but that was a good win.

kiristao

Wonder how different our performance might have been if Martial had played as Rashford can't play the no 9 role at all.
McTominay was decent. Was asked to sit deep and he did well to head out a lot of crosses that came in the box. Of course he has no idea what to do once the ball is played to his feet or doesn't he make himself avaliable for a pass from the CB.
Malacia did well again. Plays with his heart of his sleeve. Something we have missed for a while now
Martinez with an excellent game again and his fighting spirit does make a difference to us defensively.
Eriksen with a good game again but it's hard to play well for 90 mins when his CM partners (McTominay and Bruno) are constantly giving the ball away.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Well done Manchester United, solid in defense against a Southampton who played decent.

I think if Martial was fit he would have played Rashford through for at least 2/3 clear cut chances.

If we sign Antony, we should let Ronaldo go. He looks done at this level. Either that or he's suffering from a lack of pre-season big time.
Nobody wants him! Plus, with the fixtures United are set to play in the next few months, he is needed. The Glazers also want a big name on the roster. It does amaze me though that the club pay him what they pay him. He must know himself he isn't as good as he was, he isn't as quick as he was, yet he still expects top dollar, its quite bonkers. If he would play for £100k a week & not 400 he could play in the CL and it would be one less headache for the manager to deal with.

Rashford needs to be sold. Hes simply not putting in the effort.
Rashford will not be sold, ever. He will leave when he wants to leave or stay for the next 6-8 years. The club will give him generous contracts, like they always do. He is more than just a footballer now and United are more than just a football club.

Tiki-Taka

Really up there with one of the worst games we played over the last 10 years only with the exception we managed to get a goal this time. We really created nothing and parked the bus with zero quality on and off the ball.

Us becoming the midtable team is one of the biggest tragedies in my life tbh, can't watch this shit anymore. People will say win is a win, good to have some positive people around but from the body language of more than half the players who featured today we will see that the season will be incredibly long and only a bad season to one of the top6 teams will get us top6. We lack quality all over the pitch and other minor teams play good enough football to beat us these days.

It's like a coin flip, is it gonna be a 4:0 beating like against Brentford or we managed to get some points in a goalless draw or a tight win like today, the next time we play? To be honest I would rather us to play around TOP8 and good football than this antifootball, only to finish 6th maximum anyway.

Season is long and things will get better but watching some decisions by the manager and his new favourite players really keeps me in the worrying mode.
What were you watching? Or was that game against Liverpool the first game you've watched in the last 10 years?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Team in need of reinforcements vs convincing opponent who started the season rather well.

Grateful for that result, judging the circumstances.

space

Happy with that. Gritty first half. Amazing second half until we scored. Sat too deep after that but they managed to grind out the result. Very tough away ground to go to so very happy!

Back four were great. We should have been 2 up though that first half miss was killer. Happy for Bruno. Ronaldo was poor when he came on.

Still think we need Antony + a right back, CM.

Someone

Something
Winning is a habit so happy with the 3 points. Strange how we couldn't keep the ball at all once we scored.

Subs didn't help us get a hold of the game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hope Martial is available soon. We need someone in central positions who can't maintain possesion.

Yakuza_devils

This game shows that we desperately still need reinforcement in FDJ and Antony as minimum.

Fiocca

We need to look at a comparison. Last year, we would have lost that. Yes, we didn't play too well in regards to control of the ball and attack but, there were some really nice patterns of play at times, especially in the first and before we scored. That's new. The players are slowly learning and with another attacker I think we could be dangerous. Just need time.

What I would like to know is how many headers casemeiro won in his little cameo compared to the rest of the team. He made quite a few at the end there!

mctrials23

Rashford will not be sold, ever. He will leave when he wants to leave or stay for the next 6-8 years. The club will give him generous contracts, like they always do. He is more than just a footballer now and United are more than just a football club.
This is my fear. He has become like far too many of our players over the past 10 years. Commodities that are as valued for their profile as their football. He has been shit for a few years now and worse than that, he hasn't given 2 shits during that time.

Hes famous because of United. If he was gone tomorrow no one would care about him. Hes got the charisma of a potato.

NewYorkRed

What frustrated me today, and we used to do this under Ole and Jose (by design), we are happy to soak up the pressure after taking a lead. I hate that. We need to go for the second, third, fourth goal. Need ETH to button this up.

downunder red

Very flat after the Monday game and 12.30 starts are not our favorite games so i'll take the win and move on.
The fitness of Sancho is a worry to me; lacks a bit of stamina IMO.

Art

Art the artist
Obvious flaws aside I love a 1-0 result. It shows that team can focus and see out a lead in the game. Weird to see so much negativity over the performance. Lads we’re 4 games into a new managerial tenure. It won’t be perfect.

Gordon S

I will NEVER understand why it is so so hard to get the team to press like a team. They constantly had free players in midfield to play in to.

We defend better now compared to Brentford but still, we could have easily conceded one or two today again. Poor performance but a win is a win

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Varane and Martinez very good (again), loved that Martinez tackle on/through Adams :)

McTominay very good in helping defence and we (deliberately because of opponent?) sacrificed something in midfield control/attacking play. Did a role today and some posters blinkered in ignoring it.

Really looking forward to seeing Casemiro embedded. Could be a huge step in protecting defence (FBs up) and allowing rest of midfield to push.

We need a forward, I’d argue more than a wide player. Yes, we need a wide player (I don’t rate Elanga as good enough for where we want to be) but we have Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Garnacho while upfront it’s Martial, (out of position) Rashford or (aging) Ronaldo. Would have loved Alavarez but the greedy xxxxers got him.

Three points, 6th, 10th by Monday… better than bottom :)

Onwards and upwards.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Bang average but hopefully a really important win psychologically. Team and away end loving life at the end

TheReligion

Abusive
Varane and Martinez very good (again), loved that Martinez tackle on/through Adams :)

McTominay very good in helping defence and we (deliberately because of opponent?) sacrificed something in midfield control/attacking play. Did a role today and some posters blinkered in ignoring it.

Really looking forward to seeing embedded.

We need a forward, I’d argue more than a wide player. Yes, we need a wide player (I don’t rate Elanga as good enough for where we want to be) but we have Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Garnacho while upfront it’s Martial, (out of position) Rashford or (aging) Ronaldo. Would have loved Alavarez but the greedy xxxxers got him.

Three points, 6th, 10th by Monday… better than bottom :)

Onwards and upwards.
@GifLord

Can we get the Martinez challenge on Adams please?

Judas

Open to offers
Rashford isn't a striker. Don't care if thats where he sees himself, but even when he was at his best, he was never great as a number 9. It's just not for him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
At least our defence is good now.

Midfield is still not able to control anything, or build up anything.

Attack is almost non-existence.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 369 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd