PL L FA Premier League

Swansea City 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 30 August 2015

Triple.Threat

Romero had a poor game. Distribution was poor and the 2nd goal is a silly one to concede.

Varun

Staff
Can't win the league with a striker like Rooney unless you have a monster defence and a hazard in the team. Romero should have done much better for the 2nd goal too.

All in all, some poor performances. Memphis and Rooney were both shite yet stayed on the pitch for 90mins.

Really daft subs as well. Why the feck was Schweinsteiger kept on? Move Herrera into CM and put Fellaini on. Really shit seeing us persist with 2 deep CMs when chasing a game. You g should have been on the left, not on the fecking right. And YES, it does make a fecking difference.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Given that everybody demanded Herrera to be in the lineup, we weren't that much more dangerous with him upfront, if at all. Schweinsteiger, Depay, Mata, Rooney, they were all poor as well. Depay has to find other ways to be effective when there's no room to attack with his dribblings.
You're kidding right? How many times does he have to put Rooney through?!

diarm

God Swansea are a horrible, cynical side in defence. They can play some football but 70% of their game is based on getting their body in front of someone and then falling on the floor.

That said, at least they are intelligent enough to find a method that works and use it. Passing the ball backwards 4 times for every forward pass, even when you're a goal behind with seconds left on the clock is beyond stupidity.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Romero operates in slow motion. Would a slightly distracted De Gea done worse than he did? The 2nd goal, he stepped away from it, dived back at it and it went under him. He just looks so cumbersome.

It makes my head spin how close he allows forwards to get him before clearing the ball when the opposition close him down.

We're relying on Luke Shaw for any injection of pace. Memphis doesn't seem to want to use his for some reason. Need a right winger and a striker in the next two days.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Swansea are a very good team, it must be said. But we were truly awful. No tactics, no plan, just dick about with the ball and lump it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Really enjoyable game. Thought a draw was fair. All about what happens with De gea now because with him we don't lose that game.
Did you actually enjoy that? What the hell, I know you are always super positive and enjoy being controversial at that but this is beyond strange.

WyoManU

Hard to watch. Right now the rigidity with Rooney and his refusal to drop him is making LVG look a bit out of his depth in the BPL. I thought his reputation was one of tactical superiority and making the tough choices. Three losses in a row to a side that only a handful of years back were in like the second division. Congratulations to Swansea who clearly have a forward thinking club and mentality and are looking a very good side. Compare that to our club which seems unsure how to move forward.

For me, as I have said time and time again, watching this sport is all about entertainment. I fell in love with United as a youngster because of the always attack mentality. We seem to have lost that and now as an adult with a full time demanding career, wife and young toddler, my time is precious and I am finding it harder and harder to justify spending two hours a few times a week watching this sort of display. I would rather go 4-4 than what we have produced so far in the BPL to start this season.

walkinhop

The stubborn dutch can feck right off. Too harsh?

To be honest though, following a second transfer season he has no excuses. If, and i am afraid we might, continue playing like this i see no point in keeping him.

When we win games with bad football we are at least kind of quiet because we win.
But we lose and draw to Swansea and Newcastle and play terrible football on top of that, i just can't accept that

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
With old United teams, you knew they could win at 1-1 or even 2-1 down.

This side though, not a drop of fight in them. Game was lost as soon as Swansea equalised. Gutless, spineless cowards.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Whatever problems Van Gaal has with Valdes he needs to sort them out, quickly. Romero isn't good enough.

We totally lost our heads after we scored. From being ultra cautious we become over confident. Had we not committed so many men forward after going ahead they'd not have equalised. After that we were poor.

Herrera was the only player who created any goalscoring chances. Van Gaal subs him off for Fellaini, who did nothing. As everyone knew, as soon as Ander went off any chance of playing through midfield died.

If our plan B is to bring on Young and pump it to Fellaini's head we're not winning anything any time soon.

Rooney was played in several times and messed up every time. World class strikers don't do that. Its not good enough.

Memphis vanished. At 21 Ronaldo was the best player in the world. Memphis is probably behind Nani at the same age.

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

onemanarmy

Meanwhile, after already having the best attacking force in the league, City add De Bruyne to their team. We should have been all over him. We need at least 2 attacking players, and 1 GK if De Gea leaves.

I'm not the one to exaggerate, but this was awful.

Smores

All the things people keep complaining about to the short sighted posters who'd moan came home to roost today.

Today's positive can be LvG stumbled upon starting Herrera who was decent.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We create feck all, Rooney is shit and Romero is shit. Basically what we already knew. We need a fecking striker.

Listar

It's carrick. Without him in the starting line up we don't win. Superstitious or whatever but that's what I think looking back at history.

jem

The substitutions were just atrocious. Mata was finally coming into the game, so we take him out for Young, who never convinces on the right; Young for Depay was a no-brainer. And then we bring Carrick on, not a bad idea in an of itself, but for Schneiderlin, rather than Schweinsteiger, who clearly was off today. And then finally, Fellaini for Herrera, one of our better players today, thereby allowing Rooney to stay on the field. Van Gaal was awful today, and let's be honest, he's been shit this year. Terrible, boring tactics, along with a persistent inability (or unwillingness) to address two glaring holes in the transfer market (striker and a replacement for DDG.) If this continues to Christmas, I'd be all for making a change.

Ixion

Romero looks like he can't be bothered half the time, all his actions look lazy and his passes put the defenders in danger so often because he doesn't think. Just stick De Gea is net.

prateik

No they haven't.

We made it easy for them once the first goal went in. I'm really starting to become frustrated with complimenting the other team every time we are under par.
I was talking about them this season. not today..
Said "have been", not "were".

They are a team... we are.... not even a collection of good players.. we are nothing.

Red Stone

Romero and Rooney can't be first choice if we want even a fraction of a chance to challenge for the league.

It's been four games and Rooney has been arguably the worst player on the pitch in every single one. Van Gaal can't be oblivious to it. Never mind a hat-trick against Brugge. We're not playing in the Jupiler League. Every centre back in the Premier League will comfortably put Rooney in their back pocket as long as he's this slow and completely unable to use his left foot. Defending against him is child's play at this point.

Revan

Assumptionman
A wake up call.

- Wayne Rooney at this moment might be the worst striker in the league. Would take a Lambert ahead of him, and I am not joking. Cannot stop the ball without letting it bounce a few times, seems unable to run, cannot passs since Valencia isn't playing and I don't recall him making a shoot in the league. Needs to get completely dropped for a few weeks and then gets reinstated in the bench and prove himself in order to start again. It is beyond a joke now.
- Hernandez not getting a chance despite that we needed goals is absurd.
- Memphis Depay has been shocking in EPL. Seems unable to do anything right.
- We need a striker and a winger. Too late now but there is some time. Overpay the shit out of it, I don't care, but we need players who can create, run and score.
- We are a complete front four (maybe a fron three depending in where the manager wants to play Mata) from a title winning team.
- Romero showed why some people were sceptical when it came to him.
- 3 goals in 4 matches is beyond shocking.
- City is already 5 points ahead of us despite that we had a good schedule of games.

devil in me

Im blaming LVG for that today. Having De Gea on the bench and Romero in goal is ridiculous. Even if his head is in Madrid, he saves that second goal. The substitutions were ridiculous. Rooney shouldve come off, the same with Memphis.
Theres nothing up front at all, and again that lies with the manager not bringing anyone in bar a 21 year old kid. Shambolic afternoon.

Rake

Spineless, just spineless. And the substitutions did not help either.

Romer just does not belong in this team also. 1 handed and 1 legged De Gea would have done better

Irrational.

I'm fed up with watching the same dross this season. We haven't improved from last season despite the signings.

In the end, despite all this 'possession', 'philosophy' and 'process' LVG keeps yakking on about, we resorted to the same old bullshit - passing it around at the back and pumping long balls up to Fellaini.

Here's what I've learnt about our squad today:

- Romero is not a United standard goalkeeper.
- Rooney is shot as a player, a shadow of his former self and LVG refuses to sub him - we perhaps should've kept hold of RVP.
- Memphis lost his confidence from the 20 minute mark and again was a contender to be subbed off. Herrera should've stayed on.
- Schweinsteiger is obese and should have been subbed off instead of Schneiderlin
- Blind struggles against 'proper' number 9's.

The only players that should be able to keep their heads up today are Shaw, Smalling and Darmian. The rest were utter tripe.

Completely outplayed today, Swansea by far the better team.

Where is the progress guys? I can't see any.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Started the 2nd very well and totally in control

Then it all went to shit

Our defence which had been such a positive point to the start of the season looked very vulnerable and that 2nd goal looks worse for Romero every time I see it

Rooney is obviously taking the brunt of the blame, but at times bastian looked a shadow of his former self and depay was extremely flaky too. Herrera had one or two moments but failed to get into the game, likewise with Mata

Thought Darmian was quite poor as well

Dr Fink

Three things came out of this result. Rooney has no left foot otherwise it's 2-2; the Herrera no.10 thing doesn't work and we are truly appalling to watch with Fellaini on up top. Make that four: Memphis is way, way off the PL pace.

Name Changed

weso26
This was always going to happen and it will keep happening. I was surprised so many people were fooled by the start we had. We were shite in the two games that we won.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
We are bang average.

I am absolutely sick of defending Wayne Rooney. I have been vocal in my support of him but that was a pathetic display. He gave the ball away needlessly for their first goal and the only other thing of note I saw from him was being too lathargic when he went one on one.

Memphis looks like an absolute waste of money, strolling around the pitch, taking too many touches, slow, not intelligent.

Where oh where did Daley blind go for the first goal? Why was smalling 3 on 1 on our box?

Why are we so naive when chasing a game and where has our urgency gone? When chasing a game why do we casually stroll across to take throw ins and allow them to get set?

Romeros shop stopping leaves quite a bit to be desired, that second goal was awful, why didn't he lead with his foot which would have reached the ball long before he went down in instalments leading with his hand?

Basically our back four got exposed, we don't have a striker capable of putting the ball in the net and our midfield are so slow that I'm fairly sure that time went backwards at one point.

Unless we add to the squad in the next two days and manage to keep de gea somehow then we had better get used to these pathetic, listless, shithouse displays.

I don't rant often but I'm fecking furious.

Last edited:

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 938 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Swansea 1:2 Man Utd