PL L FA Premier League

Swansea City 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 30 August 2015

walkinhop

Hard to watch. Right now the rigidity with Rooney and his refusal to drop him is making LVG look a bit out of his depth in the BPL. I thought his reputation was one of tactical superiority and making the tough choices. Three losses in a row to a side that only a handful of years back were in like the second division. Congratulations to Swansea who clearly have a forward thinking club and mentality and are looking a very good side. Compare that to our club which seems unsure how to move forward.

For me, as I have said time and time again, watching this sport is all about entertainment. I fell in love with United as a youngster because of the always attack mentality. We seem to have lost that and now as an adult with a full time demanding career, wife and young toddler, my time is precious and I am finding it harder and harder to justify spending two hours a few times a week watching this sort of display. I would rather go 4-4 than what we have produced so far in the BPL to start this season.
I am in a very similar situation and while i would probably never stop supporting the club, the excitement is not there anymore. And i get it, we can't always win but it is the type of football we play that just bores me to death

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Thought we played alright up until their goal. We were mainly dominating, but lacking the chances.
As soon as they equalized, we crumbled into a mess. Plenty of poor performers today, no point even mentioning names. Shaw was probably the only decent one, and yet he was galloping too far forward for their first.

This has turned out to be a fantastic weekend for City.

Hed Zitin

We cannot play with Rooney up front in the PL. End of. We create feck all. There is no focal point and all we do is sideways pass it over and over.

Fellaini holds the ball up and we finally can get players up the pitch faster, but to go desperate like that and hoof it was disgraceful.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Not gonna lie that was a worrying performance and result and the worst thing is it shows we haven't progressed as a side from last season

Someone

Something
I don't think the whole performance was bad, but some players were absymal.

Rooney was awful, romero was comical for the second goal, and memphis was rubbish.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Cheers:
  • Luke Shaw
  • Blind's jawline
  • Our complicated players' names
Jeers:
  • 2 goals in 4 PL games
  • 2 goals in 4 PL games
  • 2 goals in 4 PL games

Viral United

Poor game to Romero I though if he has better positioning could have same both goal.
Rooney seriously have to look him self, At this point I think we should start Fellini and bench him.

Devil may care

Swansea are a good team but we were as toothless as an old peoples home. We created pretty much nothing after they equalized bar that half chance Rooney made for himself right at the end. The lack of attacking options off the bench are frightening, an average winger and a route one converted CM.

I also think the minutes we take Schneiderlin out of our midfield we are prone to be ran on as neither Schweini or Carrick have the legs to cover enough grass at this stage. All the holes people have been concerned over were exposed today, from lack of quality up top, physical issues in defense and a dodgy keeper.

Ixion

Memphis should have been subbed for Young, not sure how that didn't happen.

vidic blood & sand

Disappointed. Too cautious putting bodies in the box, too slow in attack, and it makes it easier to defend against. We need some creativity around the box, and runners from midfield.
Memphis seemed uninterested today, keeper could have been better.
All credit to Swansea, they put bodies in the box, defended well, and were quick on the flanks.

We'll get better.

jem

Romero had a poor game. Distribution was poor and the 2nd goal is a silly one to concede.
Yeah he reminded us that he's good to have as a backup, not a starter. Our inability to solve the GK issue has been astonishing. Either keep DDG and play him, or sell him and get someone like Lloris in (a guy who was clearly hankering for the move; if DDG and Real can pressure us, no reason we can't do the same to Tottenham.)

Wayne's World

Piss fecking poor, get rid of Romero and Rooney from starting eleven and buy fecking players before deadline closes

Pissed off watching that crap again, same old shit

Ash_G

The frustrating thing is so many of our issues today or over the season are of our own making.

We were in decent control of the game but we really lack movement in attack which I think is partly due to the way LVG wants to play.

But mostly we conceded the 2nd through a poor goalie error and Romero's kicks could have led to more trouble at other times. He's decent but he's clearly below the level we need. I don't think we've handled the gk situation well.

Then in attack Depay is very promising but not ready to be as important as we need him to be. Again feels like we needed to bring in a more established attacker for the start of the season.

caid

Our front 3 were pretty crap really. Mata was ok but nothing more.
Memphis was completely anonymous and should have been subbed off, did nothing other than go down softly when it was obvious the ref wasn't going to give him anything.
Rooney could have scored 4 if he didn't try to take a billion touches. Should have had at least 2.

Ah well.

Red_Aaron

Played well in patches but once we went ahead we lost all semblance of shape. Smalling was good but badly let down by blind and Shaw on the left side. Schweiny is good whilst he can run but that's only about 25 mins it would seem

What annoyed me most was how naive we were after the goal, I was screaming at the TV to just keep the ball for 5-10mins to weather the inevitable push from Swansea but instead we kept bombing forward. The amount of time and space Swansea had for their goals was ridiculous and totally against what we apparently are nowadays ie solid and cautious. Romero wtf. Shaw was good coming forward but both goals came down his side whilst he was miles up the pitch.

Rooney seems to think he's allowed to take all fecking day to get his shot away, even when behind and at the death

I'm annoyed

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Rooney is so slow these days. Slow in the head. Just take a touch or two and just damn whack the fecking ball! And Romero, what a schoolboy error. Stand your ground for feck's sake.

Question234

OK, Rooney was shit but how about memphis? Worst player on the pitch.
He's allowed to have bad games becuase he's young, new to the league and clearly adapting to the physicality of it. I said earlier to those saying we don't need anymore additions are silly because it's unfair to expect memphis to hit the ground running.

World Game

Feck me you're easy to please :lol:
It was until we conceded. Hard fought in first half but we wrestled control from them thanks to the midfield. Dominant in possession and good patient building up from the back with nice passing triangles to maneuver around their pressing. Slowly suffocated them until they cracked. But then, Rooney loses the ball when we are completely committed forward...

shivab

Ki changed the game

The loss is van gaals fault as much as the players for not reacting to swansea's change.

rooney needs to be sharper

van gaal needs to sign attacking players, theres no excuse.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Basically like the other 2 games vs Swansea... Monk just has the beating of Van Gaal, like Pardew has with Mourinho and Sunderland somehow have with City. Turned into our bogey team basically. Disappointing to throw away the lead though after playing so well after we scored, just because of one sloppy pass when we had a chance to get a goal.
Player wise...

Romero is a shite keeper. All there is to it really. Our defence is good, but Ayew and Gomis have a very good understanding and they'll have chances against anyone. De Gea would've saved both goals though probably, so that's disappointing. Shaw and Smalling had great games, darmian and blind were decent.

Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and herrera controlled the game and pressed really well, unfortunately our attack let us down. Rooney has no left foot, if he did, he could have had a hat trick. Extra touch every time though because he wasn't confident on his weaker foot. Mata didn't do much but he scored, so there's that. Memphis didn't offer much, but Atkinson was shite and didn't give any of the pushes in the back on him so he was unlucky there.

mu77

Memphis should have been subbed for Young, not sure how that didn't happen.
this and swieny should have been off to start 2nd half but with the other s midf getting a yellow carrick was the right move.

mancan92

Given that everybody demanded Herrera to be in the lineup, we weren't that much more dangerous with him upfront, if at all. Schweinsteiger, Depay, Mata, Rooney, they were all poor as well. Depay has to find other ways to be effective when there's no room to attack with his dribblings.
Herrera set up 4 goal scoring chances. Are you kidding me. He wasn't the reason why we lost. He played his role well and should have got a couple assists if it wasn't for rooney or mata.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
International Break may have come at the right time.

Will be VERY interesting to see whether we dip into the market. Not sure whether the club will warrant a panic buy or not.

rpitchfo

We played ok. Kept things ticking over and never really made any effort to take the game to them. Which enabled Swansea to grow in confidence and steal the victory. Cant say the team were garbage though they did what was asked of them. Rooney was poor again. Blind really struggled today.

montpelier

We deserved a point.

Some of what's being said Romero/Rooney is fair <--- should have got his shot off there.

Still a lot better than last year.

shabz

Two holding midfielders is what will be our downfall this season, while it is supposed to keep us solid, if the opposition does find a way to score past us then we are too defensively set up to really outscore opponents of any decent standard.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Rooney, Romero and to a lesser extent Memphis (granted his potential and all that) should be nowhere near the starting lineup of a team with our supposed ambition.

SalfordRed1960

Think the mid week took its toll. Mata, Darmian, and Depay were well below their normal standard. Smalling going in to panic mode when we went behind, others pretty much played as individuals once we need to chase the game. The amount of bad decisions by players was amazing. Shaw will probably get bollocked for indiscipline that led to second goal.

NK86

We are looking for a goal and we bring on Carrick and Young. Says a lot about the state of our squad.

Revan

Assumptionman
We are bang average.

I am absolutely sick of defending Wayne Rooney. I have been vocal in my support of him but that was a pathetic display. He gave the ball away needlessly for their first goal and the only other thing of note I saw from him was being too lathargic when he went one on one.

Memphis looks like an absolute waste of money, strolling around the pitch, taking too many touches, slow, not intelligent.

Where oh where did Daley blind go for the first goal? Why was smelling 3 on 1 on our box?

Why are we so naive when chasing a game and where has our urgency gone? When chasing a game why do we casually stroll across to take throw ins and allow them to get set?

Romeros shop stopping leaves quite a bit to be desired, that second goal was awful, why didn't he lead with his foot which would have reached the ball long before he went down in instalments leading with his hand?

Basically our back four got exposed, we don't have a striker capable of putting the ball on the net and our midfield are so slow that I'm fairly sure that time went backwards at one point.

Unless we add to the squad in the next two days and manage to keep de gea somehow then we had better get used to these pathetic, listless, shithouse displays.

I don't rant often but I'm fecking furious.
He was in the left side covering for Shaw who was in attack. Blind didn't have a great game, but he definitely wasn't at fault there. When left back is on attack, the left CB covers for him, while the defensive midfielder becomes the second CB.

Which brings the question, where was Schneiderlin for the first goal?

Von Mistelroum

Our manager's tactics are becoming a concern, as is the fact that we cannot drop Rooney (partly because our other 'strikers' are equally poor), we have Sergio Romero as our first choice goalkeeper, we have no right side, no creativity, nowhere near enough movement and, while he's played ok today, I think Blind, while being a good overall player, will be found out big time as a CB.

Anduin

If Van Gaal really thinks we can go through the season with Romero as our number 1 and Rooney as our only real striker upfront he's mental. Romero... I don't know where to start.

Frustrating that Swansea didn't really do anything and came away with three points.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 938 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Swansea 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Swansea 0:2 Man Utd