PL D FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 April 2023

Baxquux

He's having to say these things too often.
Yeah, and its double-edged. Players are putting him in that situation, is one (and probably still the best ) way to read it, but he's also not doing enough to prepare them against sides that press intensely, whether from the start or after half-time gee-ups. If the players aren't able to control the game technically, then at least disrupt the other team's rhythm and cause them issues with attempted quick transitions to keep them on guard against pressing too high. He should still be improving the general technical level of passing interplay more, in conjunction with staff; that was one thing Pep did a bit of, even starting with a 'better' higher-ceiling team, and was one reason why his City 1st season wasn't a complete bust despite low-ish 4th finish. But it's also something managers have done with worse players, like Potter at Brighton, Bielsa at Leeds (although Leeds were in the Champ at the time, we're talking proportional improvements) in first seasons.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Collapsing like that is infuriating. Could see it coming within a few minutes of the second half starting. As soon as one went in it was clear we'd be fortunate to even get the draw.

Lining up a stressful end to the season we don't need.

Duckmanquack

We come straight from a 120 minutes game. Players are tired. Real tired.

People here complain and moan about the subs. It was absolutely DREADFUL before the subs came on as well. We needed energy in. Everyone was on their backheel. Spurs won most duels, had twice our energy. Consistently getting past our fullbacks. Creating big chances. It was an absolute shitshow. Antony was completely invisible second half. Bissaka tired, casemiro tired and eriksen all gassed. No energy.

What we needed here is something we don't have. Quality players on the bench to take a hold of that midfield and fresh legs on the wings/fullbacks.

We weren't much of a threat on the ball. Easy to defend against and they could just counter hard against tired legs. The tempo was non existent and we were often just walking with the ball passing back and forth.

Its not because the players like Casemiro, Bruno, Bissaka suddendly forgot how to play and defend. It's tiredness and the subs came into absolute mess of a game and were not quality enough to change the dynamics.

It's the end of the season. The main squad is drained and our subs aren't good enough. Its going to be a rough few games now. We just gotta see this trough get 4th and reinforce heavily in the summer.

Dan_F

ETH must really hate Pellistri the way he makes him set on the bench every game for 90+ minutes without a chance of any game time no matter how bad they are playing. I wonder what he has done to deserve that punishment.
I would imagine after spending every day with him (unlike you), watching him play in training (unlike you), and having superior football knowledge to you, he’s decided he probably isn’t good enough to play Premier League football for us at this moment.

croadyman

Just saw that first half. How the f did they manage to shit the bed from that position? Anyhow, a draw isn't a terrible result, but this is the second time in a very short time they've surrendered a 2-0 lead while dominating the first half.
Yeah worrying trend to say the least

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Basically same as Sevilla game at OT, we start very well but fail to kill off the game, fade in the second half, make absolutely dreadful pointless substitutions and end up being very lucky not to lose. We are the only team in the league who purposefully try to make themselves worse in games they dominate.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Wasn't really a game of two halves. We were poor in the first half too. Some good attacking play masked absolutely shite performances from Antony, Cas, and AWB. In the second half our abysmal bench just came on and added to an already poor performance. Had a feeling at half time we'd draw. Useless bunch of cnuts getting outplayed by a Spurs team completely void of confidence being lead by their 5th manager of the season.

Todd

Feels like a loss, but the most important thing to remember is that they dropped 2 points they couldn't afford to drop.

It'd take something truly spectacular for us to miss out on top 4 at this point, which is all that matters.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Feels like a loss, but the most important thing to remember is that they dropped 2 points they couldn't afford to drop.

It'd take something truly spectacular for us to miss out on top 4 at this point, which is all that matters.
I think we’re more than capable of allowing some spectacular to happen to us. All it takes is a couple more losses, which looking at the fixture list is definitely possible

always_hoping

1st half 0-2 to United

Shots on goal
Tottenham 6
Man United 11

Shots on target
Tottenham 3
Man United 6

2nd half 2-0 to Tottenham

Shot on goal
Tottenham 12
Man United 6

Shot on target
Tottenham 4
Man United 2

Real game of two halves alright.

Todd

I think we’re more than capable of allowing some spectacular to happen to us. All it takes is a couple more losses, which looking at the fixture list is definitely possible
It would take a lot, though.

Here's what each of the teams chasing us could wind up on if they win all of their remaining games:

73 Brighton
71 Liverpool
69 Villa
69 Spurs

That means that, no matter what anyone else does, 14 points from our last 21 possible points guarantees us 4th.

And we all know that none of those four clubs are going to win all of their remaining matches. So in reality we need fewer than 14 points to secure 4th.

Irwin99

Here's what each of the teams chasing us could wind up on if they win all of their remaining games:

73 Brighton
71 Liverpool
69 Villa
69 Spurs

That means that, no matter what anyone else does, 14 points from our last 21 possible points guarantees us 4th.

And we all know that none of those four clubs are going to win all of their remaining matches. So in reality we need fewer than 14 points to secure 4th.
Yeah, looking at Brighton's fixture list it would take an incredible run of form from them to get maximum points in what is probably the hardest run of fixtures for all the top 4 challengers. That's almost certainly not happening.

4 wins from us in 7 games will put us on 72 points which will qualify for the champions league.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
1st half 0-2 to United

Shots on goal
Tottenham 6
Man United 11

Shots on target
Tottenham 3
Man United 6

2nd half 2-0 to Tottenham

Shot on goal
Tottenham 12
Man United 6

Shot on target
Tottenham 4
Man United 2

Real game of two halves alright.
xG was also slightly above 2 for both. Very even game although I never felt we were comfortable even in the first half.

73 Brighton
71 Liverpool
69 Villa
69 Spurs

Teams are also playing each other, especially Brighton who seem to have everyone around them left to play.

Blood Mage

Basically same as Sevilla game at OT, we start very well but fail to kill off the game, fade in the second half, make absolutely dreadful pointless substitutions and end up being very lucky not to lose. We are the only team in the league who purposefully try to make themselves worse in games they dominate.
It's because our squad depth is shite. When we need to make subs the players who come on are a lot worse than the players going off. But the lads are shattered so we can't not make subs.

Tarrou

Didn’t see the match but happy with the result, shame we then away a two goal lead but hard to see anyone catching us for 4th now

NICanRed

Looks like Ryan Mason gives a better half-time team talk than ETH. They came out for the second half ready to do battle. We didn't.
There were many on the match-day thread talking up Fred, lamenting the fact that he wasnt chosen to start. Where are you now? What a donkey. Maybe he is colour blind. Isn't he supposed to pass to the guys in red shirts? I hated to do it but yesterday I watched the City game. If their passing accuracy isn't 100% it must be pretty close. We can only dream.
There were a couple of strange 60/40 calls but generally Anthony Taylor was better today.
Squeaky bum time is here.

cyril C

The way the players started that second half was disgraceful.
Because they are tired. People expect ETH to start with our best 11 every single game, 40 games later, it is called tired.

Real disappointment was Fred, who was supposed to splash his energy all over the field, but he end up passing the ball more to opposition than our own.

Oscar Bonavena

Normally a 2-2 draw when leading 2-0 feels like a loss but honestly, when Son scored that equaliser with 12 mins plus stoppage time to come, I'd have taken a draw there and then.

They were cutting us open at will at that stage and had already missed some unbelievable chances. We were so open it was untrue.

Bruno's miss to make it 3-1, I mean I don't know what to say anymore. I've made the point before that we seem to need to create 6 gilt edged chances just to score 1 goal and that miss just about sums that up!

RedCurry

The difference between us and City is that when they score a goal, they look even more likely to score more goals. More goals they score more likely they look like scoring. We, on the other hand, look less and less likely to score more if we get a goal or two. The killer instinct just isn’t there. You see Pep affecting the game from the sidelines and it has material impact on his side. Unfortunately, once we start playing badly, there’s just no turning it around during the game.

bosskeano

I think everyone was accepting a draw as a great result going on the road especially after sunday and having to play an extra 30 minutes

harder to swallow simply b/c we dominated the first half and could have put the game to bed only to let them back in it the second half when mistakes and fatigue took over

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That was a truly professional last 20 minutes. We just needed the draw and created some half chances. More importantly we snuffed out all their attacks. Well done lads.

I'm happy! 6 over Spurs with a 2 games in hand and 7 over LP with a game in hand. Our odds for top 4 just improved.

I Am Zlatan

Very frustrating! Not the end of the world, but we could’ve been in a much better shape.
The subs need to perform better. All of the first team players are tired (understandably), when the subs come in, they need to perform better and actually help the team.

croadyman

Games like tonight is exactly why I wouldn't be bothered about having a squad part funded by Qatar. Obviously we still won't get all we need but will be a start to building a team in Erik's vision.

Pscholes18

Typical shite Utd....get a two goal lead, come out in the second half playing like daises. Pathetic. Knew we were fecked when Bruno missed that sitter, what a bellend. I'd love to have just one player with any sort of killer mentality/instinct. WTF was Dalot doing on their second? Malacia is slower than molasses. Martial, did feck all. Typical.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Same old story. With time and space we have improved plenty and can pass it around really well. Press us and we crumble. Saw it coming from a mile away. It’s who we are at this moment in time (for years really).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Like a cockroach they didn't want to die and fought back.
Your season is over Spurs, should have let us win.

Eric Cantona

I would imagine after spending every day with him (unlike you), watching him play in training (unlike you), and having superior football knowledge to you, he’s decided he probably isn’t good enough to play Premier League football for us at this moment.
Exactly. And Wout is good enough to play Premier League football.

bosskeano

You guys are a bit fuking mental....we have the toughest schedule of matches in terms of minimum recovery days going against a top 5 side having just played 120 minutes three days ago. you honestly expected us to dominate the game and not hit the physical wall??????

a draw was what all of us would have taken prior to the match as it has basically eliminated Spurs from the top 4

only team that has a chance to catch us are Liverpool and they'd would have to win every remaining match

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Whatever happened to Casemiro? The crooked red cards fecked up his game?

Micky Targaryen

Same old story. With time and space we have improved plenty and can pass it around really well. Press us and we crumble. Saw it coming from a mile away. It’s who we are at this moment in time (for years really).
100% agreed. If we as supporters can see that for years, you'd think that our manager(s) and coaches would have addressed this issue by now??

Edit: And if all our past and present coaches have addressed this issue, then it's down to the players. Earning astronomical wages but incapable of playing under pressure. Weak ass mentality.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Because they are tired. People expect ETH to start with our best 11 every single game, 40 games later, it is called tired.

Real disappointment was Fred, who was supposed to splash his energy all over the field, but he end up passing the ball more to opposition than our own.
That’s the problem, nobody expected us to start our best XI every single game earlier in the season. We shouldn’t have done that in easy cup games against lower league opposition or Sheriff/Omonia in EL, or when we had a 3-0 advantage against Nottingham but those who doubted the reasoning of that were being told it’s genius and will not hurt the team. No wonder the team is shattered, squad management has been horrendous.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Tired badly in the second half.
Yes, was very obvious.
We were under pressure in the 2nd half, Ten Hag made several chances to freshen up, but the players were physically done.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I'd like EtH to play the reserves against Villa, accept defeat, identify players who could fulfill a role in the last few fixtures, rest every single first team player, and let them come back slightly more rejuvenated for the run in.

The Dane

So why is he in the match squad? If ETH has no intention of using him then surely there must be someone else who can take his place. Letting him sitting there match after match together with the reserve keeper makes no sense to me.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Spurs actually have far greater chances to win the game. But they seemed ok with the result.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Spurs actually have far greater chances to win the game. But they seemed ok with the result.
Had a higher XG then us I think... that Dier miss was even worse then the Bruno one somehow.

Could tell they were happy with 2-2 (which you would be if you went into HT at 2-2 in the state they're in), last 10 was pretty much all us - and by all us I mean we had the ball, not that we did anything useful with it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Had a higher XG then us I think... that Dier miss was even worse then the Bruno one somehow.

Could tell they were happy with 2-2 (which you would be if you went into HT at 2-2 in the state they're in), last 10 was pretty much all us - and by all us I mean we had the ball, not that we did anything useful with it.
Yes, it seemed like they took their feet off the gas, or was it us to suddenly wake up after their 2nd goal?

It sure was weird when they took Perisic off with his face showed being perplexed, and also to my relief.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 222 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd