PL D FA Premier League

West Ham United 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 10 May 2018

vanrooney

Please feck off you all doom mourinho haters. We are second for the first time since saf, we won titles, we are in a fa cup final, we are progressing. Nowadays the talking is always about that and that player (Rashford, Martial) and its mourinho who is at fault when they dont deliver. Remember the time when we all said „Nobody is bigger than the club“. It was a time fans thought about United not about some player. And saf was more than ruthless to people that didnt deliver- mou is the same but in another (social) media driven time. Stop supporting some agents policy driven individuals, start supporting United again.

RedB4ndiT

Please feck off you all doom mourinho haters. We are second for the first time since saf, we won titles, we are in a fa cup final, we are progressing.
Thing is though with another (dare I say better?) manager, we could be on a treble by now instead of being a distant second in the league and only taking Mickey Mouse titles.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Please feck off you all doom mourinho haters. We are second for the first time since saf, we won titles, we are in a fa cup final, we are progressing. Nowadays the talking is always about that and that player (Rashford, Martial) and its mourinho who is at fault when they dont deliver. Remember the time when we all said „Nobody is bigger than the club“. It was a time fans thought about United not about some player. And saf was more than ruthless to people that didnt deliver- mou is the same but in another (social) media driven time. Stop supporting some agents policy driven individuals, start supporting United again.
We're playing easily some of the most boring football in the league. 5 at the back against David Moyes' WHU. There is nothing wrong with people wanting the miserable bastard out of the club and getting someone in who might dare to attack once in a while.

Bobski

No idea!

I think next season is going to be a very very cruel one for us.
Not necessarily, Arsenal will not challenge, Chelsea need some surgery on that team, Spurs have a ceiling and Liverpool might be a cup team still. Utd are in a comfortable second and have rarely played particularly well, the other teams have been incapable of challenging.

RedDevil5

Martial is gone, not even subbed on

Lindelof has improved

Congrats David, saved our bacon quite a few times this season

Dreadful performance, has become the norm to smaller clubs

Yes, second place is nice but miles off City and dropped a lot of points vs bad teams. Not encouraging.

FA Cup is all that matters now, won't be easy to win with this form and Chelsea in relatively better form

If we don't win the FA Cup, Mourinho will be on thin ice starting next season.

edgar allan

Not necessarily, Arsenal will not challenge, Chelsea need some surgery on that team, Spurs have a ceiling and Liverpool might be a cup team still. Utd are in a comfortable second and have rarely played particularly well, the other teams have been incapable of challenging.
By challenge I guess you mean to challenge for second place?

King Eric 7

Another day, another shitshow.

The result against West Ham wasn't a bad one though. We have probably dropped points there over the last decade or so more than we've won there. We've got second now, so we can send out another disjointed team on Sunday and get a lucky 1-0 win against Watford.

Witchking

Get lost with your highhanded nonsense. How many games have the two players you mentioned started back to back? You are right, no body is bigger than the club and that includes Jose. He is the one who has brought the players in the discussion by openly berating them and throwing them to the media.

Saf was not ruthless, he kept Anderson and Hargreaves for a long time even when they missed chucks of the seasons. SAF was a legendary manager, stop your shite comparison.

Jose on his own is a good manager but is a bit out of touch with how badly he is messing with the players and the system and the style to suit his style of football which a majority of fans do not like to see because they have seen this happen at other clubs before and are afraid it might happen again at United.

Just because we are all United fans, we do not need to blindly follow Jose and his methods, lots of people who are not really in the Jose camp have given him a lot of credit for winning the big games this season and coming 2nd. Other than coming second, this season has been a disappointment in terms of how United have played, it has been 1 step forward and 1 step back.

Devil may care

We weren't quite as pedestrian as the Brighton game in the first half, but that was because Lingard and Sanchez ran around a lot, they didn't actually do much. The second half just floated in the bowl. Over 90 minutes we had a few shots but only the one from Sanchez caused their keeper any trouble.

The only highlight of the second half was Noble attacking Pogba like a hooker fighting for her spot on the corner, while Pogba looked at him with a "Are you shitting me?" expression on his face, kudos for not falling to the ground like so many players do today.

Bobski

By challenge I guess you mean to challenge for second place?
Yes, City and Utd should be clear of the rest given squad depth and transfer budgets. Chelsea can make that a 3 if Ambramovich wants to go crazy in the market, but Chelsea fans are telling me that is not likely.

edgar allan

Yes, City and Utd should be clear of the rest given squad depth and transfer budgets. Chelsea can make that a 3 if Ambramovich wants to go crazy in the market, but Chelsea fans are telling me that is not likely.
My point was that we are nowhere near challenging City with Jose in charge, but I do agree we are likely to stay just ahead of Chelsea and Spurs by virtue of our spending power. I do worry that if Liverpool get a couple more good signings they will be our main challengers and could well pass us.

Sing you a song

We have been shocking at times yes but you said "all season". That's just not true hence getting called on it.

Everyone's got concerns about the consistency/mentality/tactics but let's not make things up to fit.
Give the guy a break and stop nit picking.If I was to generalise I too would say we have been garbage all season.Because apart from the odd game early doors and sporadically in recent months we have been.
I’m also sick to death of hearing the “ but we are second in the league “ excuse .
We are miles behind City who are creatiing record after record and who seem to understand that the easiest way to win games is to set out to score more goals than the opposition.
We are second because .......
Chelsea players have decided to do what they do every second season and down tools because they want a new manager.
Arsenal have finally completely imploded .
Spurs as usual demonstrate that they haven’t got the spending power to maintain a title challenge.
Liverpool have improved massively but left themselves too much to do before sorting there defence out ( but with a good summer spend they will be big challengers next season.)
Our biggest rivals have walked the league and our second biggest rivals are in the Champions lge final
We look like a bunch of strangers on the pitch with no set game plan ( apart from don’t concede ) .
We lack imagination
Our big players constantly disappear in games.
Our players showing potential 3 years ago are still just showing potential .
Our midfield is pedestrian
Our full backs are a joke
Our front line is totally reliant on Lukaku for goals
We are boring to watch .
Just when you think our performances can’t get duller they do.
Football is an entertainment business and we were the great entertainers not any more we aren’t,once again we need a massive overhaul to have even the slightest chance of catching City.
So disappointed tonigh but not in the least bit surprised.

Bobski

My point was that we are nowhere near challenging City with Jose in charge, but I do agree we are likely to stay just ahead of Chelsea and Spurs by virtue of our spending power. I do worry that if Liverpool get a couple more good signings they will be our main challengers and could well pass us.
Hard to see a challenge for City but at the same time surely the rest of the league can not be as pathetic as they have been this season against them. The likes of Bristol City gave them a harder game than the majority of the dross in the PL who were beaten before they started. Their points total is amazing, but I do feel it has been bloated by the terrible standard of the bottom 12 teams.

City have yet to retain the PL, and how their young players react will be key, do they get complacent or look to push on? I don't expect them to be as dominant next season, but it will be key for Utd to start well and keep some pressure on them, easy to look good when it is easy, and this season has been. Their CL exit revealed some frailties.

Trizy

I opted to play 5 a side instead of watching this. You can imagine the delight on my face when I finished, sat into the car and checked the final score.

Trizy 1 Joses United 0 :cool:

edgar allan

Give the guy a break and stop nit picking.If I was to generalise I too would say we have been garbage all season.Because apart from the odd game early doors and sporadically in recent months we have been.
I’m also sick to death of hearing the “ but we are second in the league “ excuse .
We are miles behind City who are creatiing record after record and who seem to understand that the easiest way to win games is to set out to score more goals than the opposition.
We are second because .......
Chelsea players have decided to do what they do every second season and down tools because they want a new manager.
Arsenal have finally completely imploded .
Spurs as usual demonstrate that they haven’t got the spending power to maintain a title challenge.
Liverpool have improved massively but left themselves too much to do before sorting there defence out ( but with a good summer spend they will be big challengers next season.)
Our biggest rivals have walked the league and our second biggest rivals are in the Champions lge final
We look like a bunch of strangers on the pitch with no set game plan ( apart from don’t concede ) .
We lack imagination
Our big players constantly disappear in games.
Our players showing potential 3 years ago are still just showing potential .
Our midfield is pedestrian
Our full backs are a joke
Our front line is totally reliant on Lukaku for goals
We are boring to watch .
Just when you think our performances can’t get duller they do.
Football is an entertainment business and we were the great entertainers not any more we aren’t,once again we need a massive overhaul to have even the slightest chance of catching City.
So disappointed tonigh but not in the least bit surprised.
Good post. It's exactly how I feel and it has nothing to do with a couple of meaningless end of season games

pauldyson1uk

It was a pretty boring game , with nothing to play for and I thought the effort of the players proved that.
Only really came to life when Nolan man handled Pogba and should have been sent off, Pogba cynical was worth the yellow, but Nolan's reaction was way over the top.
Carroll was moaning like a bitch everytime a United player went near him

edgar allan

Hard to see a challenge for City but at the same time surely the rest of the league can not be as pathetic as they have been this season against them. The likes of Bristol City gave them a harder game than the majority of the dross in the PL who were beaten before they started. Their points total is amazing, but I do feel it has been bloated by the terrible standard of the bottom 12 teams.

City have yet to retain the PL, and how their young players react will be key, do they get complacent or look to push on? I don't expect them to be as dominant next season, but it will be key for Utd to start well and keep some pressure on them, easy to look good when it is easy, and this season has been. Their CL exit revealed some frailties.
Could be true or they may go out and spend another 300 million plus on top players to compliment what they have.
Very unlikely to repeat this season for points but they have the players and the system to win again.

Asger

Thing is though with another (dare I say better?) manager, we could be on a treble by now instead of being a distant second in the league and only taking Mickey Mouse titles.
Really, with that overrated squad?? Only De Gea would start for City, Barca and Real Madrid.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not having it that it was a nothing game. For starters, playing like that could've easily meant we'd be going into the last game needing something, and if we played like that again we might not have got it then either. We also wouldn't have had free reign over who can be rested for the cup final.

Not only this, but it's basically the same as we've seen most of the season anyway.
Incredibly slow build up. Pass pass pass with the opposition defence barely having to move a few feet to keep us at bay, pass pass turnaround pass, only to then just aimlessly punt it into the box anyway.

Absolutely zero ruthlessness when we do finally attack into a bit of space. Just misplace a simple pass or eventually choose the obvious shit option. They owe it to the fans to be better than that at least.

Hoof the ball

Finishing second is an achievement, however, doing so with nearly 20 points difference behind first place is not something to celebrate. If they're patting themselves on the back, then they need to stop. We've almost spent what City have; not quite, but almost, and it's not okay for us to be this far behind.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
  • Since Sir Alex Ferguson retired at the end of the 2012-13 season, no Premier League team has drawn more matches nil-nil than Manchester United (19, level with Southampton). :eek:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I opted to play 5 a side instead of watching this. You can imagine the delight on my face when I finished, sat into the car and checked the final score.

Trizy 1 Joses United 0 :cool:
Unfortunately this post sums us up nowadays.

United used to be box office can’t miss football. People would rather do other things than watch us play.

All the young kids are gonna end up being city / Liverpool fans unless we do something to sort this boring crap out.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Dead rubber or not, the amount of time players are just standing still or when they eventually decide to run and end up in each other way was far too familiar.
Tell me about it. I see no evidence that these players are being coached in any meaningful way in how to behave in the final third.

IppoKun

Supports
Benfica
The delusion is real. Talking about a treble when we before Mourinho and after SAF had zero PL titles, the better was a 4th place...

You don't say? You basically described the word win, like no other club figured that out. It's not easy like you make it seem it is, it's incredible to think that way.

City are miles ahead of everyone, not just United. They invested more, have a longer plan going than United (which had zero clue after SAF), have better quality overall in their team. If you really think it's just a case of go all out attack and we will be champions again, then you really are missing the problem.

United have the oldest fullbacks I ever seen playing at the same time, both of them declining. To make matters worse, in the midfield half of the players are almost or over 30 years old...

I can't believe that people here think this team can win trebles and play all attacking football (and win), when most of these players are playing here since post-SAF times.

You guys need to clear the dead wood out of the team like city did. The problem is that people here think that this is possible to do in 1-2 years and that Mourinho doesn't want this because he has player favorites in the team, but the reality is that you can't just sell all the dead wood in one go (finding clubs to buy deadwood isn't really easy you know?) and after that, buy players for those positions.

This is why Mourinho wants Fellaini to stay and some others, he can't just sell them all because he cannot buy good players for all those positions, the player's market price is bonkers and it's not feasible, unless you are PSG or City.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
On reflection, I remember the 0-0 with Sunderland, when we were closing in on "challenging" for the league against Chelsea....Fergie hung Rooney and Ronaldo out...We lost 3-0 to Chelsea, the battered us and won the league....

I remember some fans calling for him to step down, sell Ronaldo...The Media saying we need to sign Steve Finnian....

Not excusing Mourinho or the last few performances at all....Just giving some perspective

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
FA Cup final is going to be the worst final in recent memory, isn't it?

Watching United and Chelsea is a chore as a football fan, and watching United is frustrating as a United fan. There is so much average/mediocrity in the squad I actually take back some of the things I said about Jose.

How he got this team to 2nd place and a cup final is outstanding.

izzydiggler

I work in London and managed to get tickets for tonight...it's not even worth moaning too much but we're just fecking dull. 2nd place and FA Cup constitutes a decent season, in fact a good one but it's such a waste of time and money watching us in terms of entertainment. Yawn.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
FA Cup final is going to be the worst final in recent memory, isn't it?

Watching United and Chelsea is a chore as a football fan, and watching United is frustrating as a United fan. There is so much average/mediocrity in the squad I actually take back some of the things I said about Jose.

How he got this team to 2nd place and a cup final is outstanding.
I've been saying this for a while. This squad is nowhere near as good as we thought it was, far too many average/past it players for us to challenge for anything serious.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% West Ham 1:1 Man Utd