PL D FA Premier League

West Ham United 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 10 May 2018

Kearnkoff69

No what you did was basically comparing our greatest ever manager to Jose. No one matches up to Fergie, no one. So stop comparing.
Nice of you to leave out my "I know it's an unfair standard" statement that preceded my criticism, if that was your complaint about my post.

I know nobody matches up with Fergie, but I'm not saying that I expect Jose to win us 13 PL titles and 2 CLs. It shouldn't be the case that only our best ever manager could get our squad of ostensibly competent footballers to bounce back after some less than convincing performances against the dregs of the PL (Brighton, WBA) and actually look like we want to win. There's ensuring that you get the point needed for second and avoiding injury, and then there's playing without pride in the badge or the fans that travel to watch you play. Too often this season we've looked like we lack pride, and it shouldn't be unfair to be disappointed that all of our managers in the post-SAF era have failed to instill a winning mentality.

promisedlanchiao

I’m just going to start by saying that football is a results game. So all in all, we’ve secured second place, which means that if pool lose the Champions League final to Madrid which really should be happening (come on Real!), we’re already the second best team in the country without having to do anything more this season. Having said that, we better win the FA Cup though to cap off a decent season.

Following on though, I have to say our style of play in a lot of matches is just plain dire, as it was today. We have shown already this season that we can play exciting, scintillating football (see city second half, swansea first half and countless games at the start of the season). So why don’t we do it more often? We definitely have the required players to do it, so is it down to a lack of effort or Mourinho plain telling them to keep it simple and easy and don’t take risks? It absolutely has to be one of those as there is no other explanation for it.

Also, refereeing standards are truly slipping to an all time low in the Premier League. Lindelof gets penalised for winning a header while Smalling gets no punishment for shirt pulling and noble and Pogba both get yellows because Pogba got a bit pissed off while noble literally ran up to him and clawed his face. Please don’t tell me that in any world those two offenses are worthy of the same punishment. Where was the red? Lastly, the FA better give noble retrospective action and rule him out of the start of next season. That would be nice.

siw2007

Came for a draw, got a draw, not a comment I would like to accossiate with United but that is what happened.

Not an awful performance but we didn’t really do enough to win. It was a very uninspiring line up, so we were always going to struggle to create chances, but we did quite well to get the chances we did in 1st half and with a bit of luck could have scored or had a few pens.2nd half was drab though.

Second place secure now. Hope for a good game at weekend before the big one.

wolvored

Did Pogba even make contact on Noble? He fouled Kouyate and then tried to foul Noble, but I thought he missed and it was our other player (Herrera perhaps?) who was actually the one who got him.
Thats how I saw it as well. They were hugging each other at the end anyway. Handbags!

JohnnyKills

What’s the point of this?
We’re not that bad, we’re just unwatchable. If we’re unwatchable, what’s the point?
Exactly. There is no point. Trophies don't matter if you don't enjoy watching the football that leads to them.

SalfordRed1960

Take it Jose is trying to hide our formation and plan for the cup final.

I have absolutely no idea what the point of the sub was. Maybe get Rashford to stretch his legs or something, as there sure didn't appear to be any plan to go for it.

If players were seeking to convince Jose they deserve a cup final place, I am not sure they succeeded.

Infra-red

And another point before i go to bed...wtf does Lingard do?
He runs around a lot. Seriously - I know it sounds like an insult, but his movement and overall workrate are actually pretty good. Has the tendency to put in decent(ish) performances in big games, too. Essentially, he's our new Ji-sung Park.

He shouldn't really be starting though - hopefully the right wing gets sorted in the summer.

TrueRed79

We are so shite and a shadow of the team i grew up supporting. Tactics, formation, ambition, desire, all things i used to associate with Utd teams gone out the window. Yeah we finished second, but who actually gives a shit? The first few games of the season gave me hope, then we parked the bus at Liverpool. After that it's almost like the players lost faith that we would win the league. No FA Cup can gloss over the crap we have watched this season. Can't see us challenging next season.

Jacko21

Waste of time as expected, that’s 5 successive seasons of playing with no coherent attacking plan now and it was dull a long time ago.

Next season is going to be more of same with maybe some slightly better players. Like Moyes and LVG, Mourinho is basically relying on individual talent to carry the attack with all the emphasis placed on being hard to beat. He is doing a better job of it but I don’t see it taking us much further.
But that's Mourinho's career in a nutshell. And you can hardly blame for doing so again with us, given that such an approach has won him countless titles. The more pressing question is why isn't it working here?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No we haven't. People concentrate on our poor as feck performances more than the times we have played well. We aren't 2nd on 78 points with one game to go playing like this all season. Before you say it, yes second isn't a place to shout about, but I'm not having that we have played the way we played tonight all season. You are blinkered.
We've been serving up shit drab fecking however you want to call it all season. I can name you plenty of games if you like.

Canagel

People saying its end of season and we need to protect ourselves are missing the point completely. We've been like this all year. I don't care if it's end of season. There is a duty to entertain the fans if there are no results to play for. When you play with this mindset the results will follow naturally. City won the league weeks ago and then proceeded to smash West Ham and Swansea. What do they have to play for?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Did De Gea make any good saves this game? I can't remember any but seeing he is the highest rated player on here, i have to ask.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Nice of you to leave out my "I know it's an unfair standard" statement that preceded my criticism, if that was your complaint about my post.
First of all you can't make a statement when you first dismiss it yourself. You made the statement to make a point, if you
think it was unfair, you wouldn't bother making it would you?
I know nobody matches up with Fergie, but I'm not saying that I expect Jose to win us 13 PL titles and 2 CLs. It shouldn't be the case that only our best ever manager could get our squad of ostensibly competent footballers to bounce back after some less than convincing performances against the dregs of the PL (Brighton, WBA) and actually look like we want to win. There's ensuring that you get the point needed for second and avoiding injury, and then there's playing without pride in the badge or the fans that travel to watch you play. Too often this season we've looked like we lack pride, and it shouldn't be unfair to be disappointed that all of our managers in the post-SAF era have failed to instill a winning mentality.
Again I think this is more to do with players not being arsed because there is nothing to play for and saving themselves for the FA cup final. You do also remember Fergie losing the league on the final day to relegation fodder don't you? I think his comment was "If they played like this all season, then they wouldn't be in the position"

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
It's the perfect storm. Years of poor management after diabolical post Fergie planning, loads of deadwood signed...and on top of that Mourinho, who's only interested in getting a result, no matter how ugly.

I am not looking forward to the next few years and it makes me very sad.

simplyared

Actually thought the movement within the team was decent in the first half. Lingard, Sanchez and Pogba were linking up well. Valencia was putting in a good shift and Shaw was having his best game for a good while. How Lindelöf gets picked before Bailly is beyond me. 2nd half was a big let down. Seeing our manager's body language and lack of expression is becoming painfull. His nonchalence and total lack of interest with Rashford as he was waiting to come on certainly didn't come over well. Surely an arm round and some encouraging words from the manager to the young player would have been appreciated. Not the fecking cold shoulder!

El Jefe

I think this game was one for the record books. We will be talking about this as the infamous Mourinho boring game for years to come.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
We've been serving up shit drab fecking however you want to call it all season. I can name you plenty of games if you like.
I don't doubt you can, but we have played great in some games too and I bet you can name them too?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don't know bro, my love for football and United has been decreasing each season now. I look forward to it as a consummer of the football product but not because I wanna see Jose's team play. I just cannot take it anymore with him.
That's sad to hear. Yeah, like I said, I just made my peace with Jose now. Let him do his thing. I just hope he doesn't leave us in a shit heap when he leaves.

Infra-red

Have we ever started a season with so much promise only to finish so poorly?
I seem to recall us starting preseason a few days (even up to a week) earlier than some of our rivals, and obviously had a very productive time training in world-class facilities in the US. I think that largely accounts for our flying start. From September onwards, we've generally just been 'fine'.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% West Ham 1:1 Man Utd