PL D FA Premier League

West Ham United 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 10 May 2018

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just another game to showcase that centerback should be low in transfer priority. But, heyho..

ash_86

Non united supporters , this forum just be the best time pass for you guys right? Most of us are doing your job of hating Mourinho and cursing him :lol:

yo@Kirk

Mourinho wins his much cherished 2nd place trophy. Whoopppee. Now Mourinho can have a one man parade around Manchester waving his 2nd place trophy for all of his adoring MourinhoFC fans to see.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Is 2nd place so important that we need to be seeking draws?
It's better than 3rd. But I honestly think that Mourinho wanted to make sure De Gea got a clean sheet so he could get a golden glove. It also means that our game on the weekend means absolutely nothing so hopefully we can see players like Gomes and Chong get some playing time.

Sterling Archer

Was hoping for better but De Gea gets the golden Glove. Full backs prove yet again that we need new ones. Second place secured. Ok .

mu4c_20le

If there was someone better available I’d take them. Jose you’re letting me down fella.
Loved the guy during his first spell at Stamford Bridge. Born winner, charismatic, swagger and all that. Now hes just getting weirder and weirder...and bitter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Please feck off you all doom mourinho haters. We are second for the first time since saf, we won titles, we are in a fa cup final, we are progressing. Nowadays the talking is always about that and that player (Rashford, Martial) and its mourinho who is at fault when they dont deliver. Remember the time when we all said „Nobody is bigger than the club“. It was a time fans thought about United not about some player. And saf was more than ruthless to people that didnt deliver- mou is the same but in another (social) media driven time. Stop supporting some agents policy driven individuals, start supporting United again.
The two arent related. And I'd rather you please follow your own advise.

VP

I didn't stay up for this, and judging by this thread, I shouldn't even bother with the highlights.

maniwin

So glad i chose to sleep last night, but to be fair i think Jose wanted to help De Gea win his golden glove that's why he played 5-3-2.

red4ever 79

2nd game i have turned off this season at half time. Abject, woeful and uninspiring. If that is how we begin next season then I wont bother at all and just refer to highlights

Sing you a song

The delusion is real. Talking about a treble when we before Mourinho and after SAF had zero PL titles, the better was a 4th place...

You don't say? You basically described the word win, like no other club figured that out. It's not easy like you make it seem it is, it's incredible to think that way.

City are miles ahead of everyone, not just United. They invested more, have a longer plan going than United (which had zero clue after SAF), have better quality overall in their team. If you really think it's just a case of go all out attack and we will be champions again, then you really are missing the problem.

United have the oldest fullbacks I ever seen playing at the same time, both of them declining. To make matters worse, in the midfield half of the players are almost or over 30 years old...

I can't believe that people here think this team can win trebles and play all attacking football (and win), when most of these players are playing here since post-SAF times.

You guys need to clear the dead wood out of the team like city did. The problem is that people here think that this is possible to do in 1-2 years and that Mourinho doesn't want this because he has player favorites in the team, but the reality is that you can't just sell all the dead wood in one go (finding clubs to buy deadwood isn't really easy you know?) and after that, buy players for those positions.

This is why Mourinho wants Fellaini to stay and some others, he can't just sell them all because he cannot buy good players for all those positions, the player's market price is bonkers and it's not feasible, unless you are PSG or City.

Yes I did describe the word win ... however to go for a win for us means shoring up the defence and hopefully grabbing a winner whereas City set up to blow teams away.
Our Full backs are converted attackers yet they attack less than any other full backs in the top 4

In midfield our only consistent player is over 30.

I agree selling dead wood is not easy but our recruitment over the last 5 seasons has been abysmal with only Lukaku proving to be a success ( though personally I don’t class him as good enough).ehy buy a centre back when the world can see we are desperate for full backs.

I never mentioned trebles ( I wish ! ). The style of play adopted by LVG and now Jose is slowly ripping the heart out of the club, luckily the other “ big “ clubs have been inconsistent which makes us look better than we are.
My biggest fear is that Liverpool are well and truly back and that could see us slipping to 4rd next season.
If they win Champs lge top players will be falling over themselves to join them.
If you were one of Europe’s finest now the only pull united would have is the wages we pay certainly not our style of football or charismatic manager

Flytan

I missed like 20 minutes of the second half because I was looking at memes.

Honestly getting incredibly bored with these showings. I half rooted for West Ham to score early just because I knew it would make us play better.

Silas

It's better than 3rd. But I honestly think that Mourinho wanted to make sure De Gea got a clean sheet so he could get a golden glove. It also means that our game on the weekend means absolutely nothing so hopefully we can see players like Gomes and Chong get some playing time.
When 1st is so much further ahead, it's only a marginal difference. At least there's something to look forward to then.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
So much moaning over nothing. The competition is over. The players are mentally on vacation. I hope Mourihno leaves so you can enjoy your delusions of grandeur without him. Get Wenger, he'll be gentle with your prima donnas and you'll play more entertaining football, and finish 6th.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Last night was classic Mourinho. All about the result. I can tolerate games like this if they happen infrequently. They’ve just been a bit too common in 2018. Plus the obvious point-scoring from Mourinho re Rashford/Martial just seems very unhelpful to everyone. What happens if Lukaku isn’t fit for the final?

JohnnyKills

Get lost with your highhanded nonsense. How many games have the two players you mentioned started back to back? You are right, no body is bigger than the club and that includes Jose. He is the one who has brought the players in the discussion by openly berating them and throwing them to the media.

Saf was not ruthless, he kept Anderson and Hargreaves for a long time even when they missed chucks of the seasons. SAF was a legendary manager, stop your shite comparison.

Jose on his own is a good manager but is a bit out of touch with how badly he is messing with the players and the system and the style to suit his style of football which a majority of fans do not like to see because they have seen this happen at other clubs before and are afraid it might happen again at United.

Just because we are all United fans, we do not need to blindly follow Jose and his methods, lots of people who are not really in the Jose camp have given him a lot of credit for winning the big games this season and coming 2nd. Other than coming second, this season has been a disappointment in terms of how United have played, it has been 1 step forward and 1 step back.
Very good post mate, you deconstructed all that top red garbage very well.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
The delusion is real. Talking about a treble when we before Mourinho and after SAF had zero PL titles, the better was a 4th place...

You don't say? You basically described the word win, like no other club figured that out. It's not easy like you make it seem it is, it's incredible to think that way.

City are miles ahead of everyone, not just United. They invested more, have a longer plan going than United (which had zero clue after SAF), have better quality overall in their team. If you really think it's just a case of go all out attack and we will be champions again, then you really are missing the problem.

United have the oldest fullbacks I ever seen playing at the same time, both of them declining. To make matters worse, in the midfield half of the players are almost or over 30 years old...

I can't believe that people here think this team can win trebles and play all attacking football (and win), when most of these players are playing here since post-SAF times.

You guys need to clear the dead wood out of the team like city did. The problem is that people here think that this is possible to do in 1-2 years and that Mourinho doesn't want this because he has player favorites in the team, but the reality is that you can't just sell all the dead wood in one go (finding clubs to buy deadwood isn't really easy you know?) and after that, buy players for those positions.

This is why Mourinho wants Fellaini to stay and some others, he can't just sell them all because he cannot buy good players for all those positions, the player's market price is bonkers and it's not feasible, unless you are PSG or City.
Forget it man. It's pointless to explain. 20 years of success attracts a bunch of glory hunters to the "fan" base. A lot of them probably never even kicked the ball. They rubbed everyone's nose in it for decades, and now they can't take their own medicine. Pathetic.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
So much moaning over nothing. The competition is over. The players are mentally on vacation. I hope Mourihno leaves so you can enjoy your delusions of grandeur without him. Get Wenger, he'll be gentle with your prima donnas and you'll play more entertaining football, and finish 6th.
I don't doubt there has been some over the top criticism of Jose and the players, and that a poor performance in an end-of-season dead rubber (in which we actually achieved our remaining goal in the league) isn't in of itself a trigger for wailing and gnashing of teeth.

However can it be denied the fact these kind of performances have become the norm under Jose, particularly in games with teams against whom we should without question be doing better, is a serious concern? Every team is allowed the occasional off-day, lord knows we had plenty of them under Fergie, but our lack of a cohesive style of attacking football nearly two years into Jose's reign is hugely dispiriting from my point of view. People can forgive teams who occasionally struggle to implement their plan to get forward positively in games, but to seemingly not have that plan in the first place is less easy to understand.

The suspicion is as a fine tactician Jose can set us up to win any game on our day, which is why we enjoyed a great win against Spurs in the semi and I like our chances in the final, but that our average performance level is well below where it should be because it isn't backed by a positive footballing philosophy.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Jose trialled a different system last night, knowing full well that we had the capability to get a result. Really don't see what was wrong with the performance, dominated the ball, had the chances yet strangely enough without our top scorer we lacked a finishing touch!!
Wasn't great but certainly wasn't poor, all eyes on the final now, and producing a good send off for Carrick.

stu_1992

It really was incredibly poor watching last night, not that i was in anyway surprised. The second half in particular was hard to watch. At least in the first half Lingard looked like he was trying to make something happen. Maybe the only player you could say that about. Would have enjoyed seeing Noble begin sent off after that ridiculous over-reaction, but the fecker will escape any real punishment since the ref incorrectly gave a yellow. Other than that, not much to talk about. Congrats to De Gea I suppose.

crossy1686

career ending
Last night was your bog standard 'on the beach' end of season performance. Some of the nonsense being spouted in here has been said a 100 times in other threads. Stop looking under rocks for issues that aren't there, we all know full well where we need to improve but for gods sake, this bashing for the sake of bashing is getting really, really old.

rollingstoned1

I don't see what momentum we will carry going into the fa cup final playing like this. I know we are trying to get as much done with as little effort as possible but some confidence would not go amiss going in to that match. I'm glad I'm recording these dead rubber games and not watching them live while ruining my sleep patterns. I wake up to find I've not really missed anything. Our 'no fecks given' level of play isn't really good enough to beat teams we should really be beating comfortably.

MUFC OK

The way Mark noble behaved was a joke and frankly embarrassing. his actions followed by the way he was all pally with Pogba afterwards was so sunday league. Hate little feckers like that.

Speedicut75

Forget it man. It's pointless to explain. 20 years of success attracts a bunch of glory hunters to the "fan" base. A lot of them probably never even kicked the ball. They rubbed everyone's nose in it for decades, and now they can't take their own medicine. Pathetic.
Sometimes it's actually a positive to be an old fart when it comes to recognising context in football as I started supporting UTD in the heady days of Dave Sexton. For me it's easier to appreciate the cyclic nature of the game, and however frustrating things appear now I can always recall the darker times ( Liverpool's hegemony, for example ) when the fanbase's expectations were incredibly low.
I don't mean to sound patronizing at all here, but it must be extremely difficult to understand what's happening today, if you're a younger fan, because expectations have been raised in such a seismic fashion. I'm not delighted with what's happening at the minute, but I do see tangible progress, over the last two years, so given what was visited on the club under Moyes & LVG I'm happy to continue with a big-picture mentality; but in saying that, I have no idea how accommodating I'd be if in my formative years, as a football fan, I'd grown up with the type of dynamic play that was routinely served under SAF? I imagine I'd be a bit whiny, and all that, truth be told.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Exactly - why play it safe in the last 20 minutes and bore everyone to death? No harm in doing something exciting, even if it backfires.

Gordon S

Why does everyone assume we would become Arsenal if we had a positive attitude going into games? If we tried to move the ball a bit quicker to our attackers? If we had more players joining attack and not just when we’re chasing a goal with 2 minutes to go?

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
What worries me is if he decides to get rid of Rashford. He was on top form early in the season, despite generally being used as a substitute. Then Mourinho got Sanchez, who hasn't gelled properly despite him trying very hard, and that has pushed Rashford down the pecking order. As a result Rashford's form has dropped which means he may well now not get in the England squad despite him being better than many other forward players.

Because of the money he spent on Sanchez and Lukaku, he is obliged to play them whenever they are fit. That means opportunities for players like Rashford and Martial are limited and their form therefore suffered. Lukaku has done well but Rashford or Martial would have done better than they have if they had been given the playing time their early season form indicated they should get.

Mata is another player who has been given the bum's rush by Mourinho. Despite him being smaller I would choose him before Matic nearly every time. He is intelligent and works hard, and we already have a tall midfielder in Pogba. I can see Mourinho getting rid of Mata which I believe would be a mistake.

Rashford would probably want to go to a team with a manager that would appreciate his talents, but would stay if we got rid of Mourinho. For me it's clear, if there is a choice between Rashford or Mourinho then keep Rashford and get rid of the bore-meister asap.

Oh why didn't we make a serious attempt to get Guardiola when we were going through a series of second and third rate managers? Even Klopp would have made a decent second choice. I can't believe I prefer City's and Liverpool's managers to United's. At the time of our manager kerfuffle, those were the two names I wanted us to go for but they have ended up at our two very worst opponents. This was made even worse when the speculation about us getting Mourinho started. I didn't want him at all and I have been proved right: Despite him supposedly being able to attract the big names he still doesn't understand the United ethos of trying to win with style.

Rashford, please stay. Mata, please stay. Mourinho, in the name of God, go now!

Last edited:

Smores

Exactly - why play it safe in the last 20 minutes and bore everyone to death? No harm in doing something exciting, even if it backfires.
Because the players can't be arsed, this happens to most teams towards the end of the season especially in a world cup season West Ham last night were the same. Neville alluded to it in his commentary at the start and he's a serial winner.

Are people's memories that short that they think this is something new?

Hopefully we play some youngsters in our final game because they'll have the required determination and aren't worried about the cup final or world cup.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What worries me is if he decides to get rid of Rashford. He was on top form early in the season, despite generally being used as a substitute. Then Mourinho got Sanchez, who hasn't gelled properly despite him trying very hard, and that has pushed Rashford down the pecking order. As a result Rashford's form has dropped which means he may well now not get in the England squad despite him being better than many other forward players.

Because of the money he spent on Sanchez and Lukaku, he is obliged to play them whenever they are fit. That means opportunities for players like Rashford and Martial are limited and their form suffered. Lukaku has done well but Rashford or Martial would have done better than they have if they had been given the playing time their early season form indicated they should get.

Mata is another player who has been given the bum's rush by Mourinho. Despite him being smaller I would choose him before Matic nearly every time. He is intelligent and works hard, and we already have a tall midfielder in Pogba. I can see Mourinho getting rid of Mata which I believe would be a mistake.

Rashford would probably want to go to a team with a manager that would appreciate his talents, but would stay if we got rid of Mourinho. For me it's clear, if there is a choice between Rashford or Mourinho then keep Rashford and get rid of the bore-meister asap.

Oh why didn't we make a serious attempt to get Guardiola when we were going through a series of second and third rate managers? Even Klopp would have made a decent second choice. I can't believe I prefer City's and Liverpool's managers more than United's. At the time of our manager kerfuffle, those were the two names I wanted us to go for but they have ended up at our two very worst opponents. This was made even worse when the speculation about us getting Mourinho started. I didn't want him at all and I have been proved right, despite him supposedly being able to attract the big names he still doesn't understand the United ethos of trying to win with style.

Rashfrord, please stay. Mata, please stay. Mourinho, in the name of God, go now!
That’s not true. Rashford’s form fell of a cliff before we signed Sanchez.

Reynoldo

Get lost with your highhanded nonsense. How many games have the two players you mentioned started back to back? You are right, no body is bigger than the club and that includes Jose. He is the one who has brought the players in the discussion by openly berating them and throwing them to the media.

Saf was not ruthless, he kept Anderson and Hargreaves for a long time even when they missed chucks of the seasons. SAF was a legendary manager, stop your shite comparison.

Jose on his own is a good manager but is a bit out of touch with how badly he is messing with the players and the system and the style to suit his style of football which a majority of fans do not like to see because they have seen this happen at other clubs before and are afraid it might happen again at United.

Just because we are all United fans, we do not need to blindly follow Jose and his methods, lots of people who are not really in the Jose camp have given him a lot of credit for winning the big games this season and coming 2nd. Other than coming second, this season has been a disappointment in terms of how United have played, it has been 1 step forward and 1 step back.
Very good post mate, you deconstructed all that top red garbage very well.
Agree, think it was a very good post too however I think it’s been more of a 2 steps forward 1 step back. We have improved as the table shows (and loads keep referring to) but it’s just not enough. There is no reason a club of our size, with our resources and history of style of play can’t be producing better than this on the pitch. That’s what’s not acceptable regardless of the improvement in league position.

Im genuinely concerned about the cup final too, I know it’s Joses style to just pull this one off performance out of the bag but I don’t think it will happen this time with the current form and all the crap that appears to be going on with unsettled players. I hope I’m wrong but I’m not expecting to win this final. Some people are talking like it’s a gimme for some reason.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The irony here is that the ones who want José gone do so because they want enjoyable football, whereas the ones who want José to stay do so because they believe he guarantees trophies.
Why does everyone assume we would become Arsenal if we had a positive attitude going into games? If we tried to move the ball a bit quicker to our attackers? If we had more players joining attack and not just when we’re chasing a goal with 2 minutes to go?
Who knows. Going by their logic you'd think it was impossible for a team to play good football AND win trophies! When did it come down to one or the other?

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% West Ham 1:1 Man Utd