PL D FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 19 August 2019

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He was fine in the 1st half;busy and energetic without being spectacular. Coped with their midfield well.

2nd half he ran out of steam and we were wanting a bit. Could have done better with the volley chance,unlucky that Boly got a foot to the through ball or he was in.

We are lacking that little bit of magic in there.

Overall, it should have been 3 points wrapped up but given how difficult it is to go there,I'll settle for a point.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the big teams get anything there
If fine is what we need to make that step back up to being title challengers then the squad is complete.

I’m more than happy for Lingard to be on the bench, good squad player but we shouldn’t expect any more from him.

But yeah, I agree, I’ll take a point, Wolves are a really well organised team and Nuno has done a wicked job there.

sugar_kane

This.

I don't think the penalty is the sole talking point. You can't ignore the fact that the lack of a proper designated taker is pretty amateurish and perhaps cost us the game. That's why it's got everyone talking..
Again, until very recently Pogba took every single one of our penalties.

He scored 8 in all competitions last season and was the 2nd highest penalty scorer in the league.

swred

I really didn't think we played all that badly, positive football & constant pressing in the first half.
Tony M doesn't mess about with his finishing.

We were ultimately undone by almost definitely the goal of the month, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up & say... fair play!
Penalty wise, Pogs didn't lose us the game, whilst it wasn't right in the corner, it was well hit, Rui got some strong hands too it & kept it out.
However, Lingard really is pants, hopefully Ole will give Angel some minutes.

romufc

A very positive performance yesterday, the confidence will increase because Wolves have been a bogey team for us. The players will be able to see the improvements made during the last 6 months.

I think Ole left it too late to make the subs, Greenwood should have come on earlier, and I do not think Perreira is a good sub to bring on, I would rather see Gomes on the left than Perreira in all honesty when we need a goal.

Lets see on the weekend how we do against Palace. Usually last season we played 2 good games and 1 shocker in games we thought we should win.

TRUERED89

As soon as the final whistle went the telly was switched over.
I’ve just heard this morning that Ole came out and said that he has no problems with Pogba taking penalties.
If it was a question all he had to say is, “I’m not discussing that now”.

Behind the scenes he should lay down the law and make Rashford the designated penalty taker. At times Ole sound such a pathetic weak manager, his substitutions were rubbish, Mata? And far to late, can anyone tell me what’s the point in a sub coming on in the 88th minute? I fear this is going to be a repeat of last year, I had this match down for a draw and I was very disappointed to get it right.
Overreacting, if Pogba puts away the penalty, your whole paragraph wouldn't exist. Dominated them in first half and missed some real sitters, especially Lingard and Martial... On another day we win that game 3-1.

ArjenIsM3

Overreacting, if Pogba puts away the penalty, your whole paragraph wouldn't exist. Dominated them in first half and missed some real sitters, especially Lingard and Martial... Another day we win that game 3-1.
They weren't sitters but yes they were good chances that should have at least resulted in a shot on target but they fecked it up. Overall though we didn't create that many chances. It's just the ones we dd create were good ones.

Nialinho

Again, until very recently Pogba took every single one of our penalties.

He scored 8 in all competitions last season and was the 2nd highest penalty scorer in the league.
I get that but why change it after Rashford scored a great pen last week? It's poor, you should have one designated taker and that most definitely should be Rashford.

Goku23

Man what a tough result to take before the game I would of taken a point vs Wolves but the way the game played out it feels like a loss. But im really encouraged by our style of play and pressing if Woodward had got the cheque book out for a midfielder we could well have won last night were only lacking that extra somebody in midfield to help Pogba be creative.

TRUERED89

They weren't sitters but yes they were good chances that should have at least resulted in a shot on target but they fecked it up. Overall though we didn't create that many chances. It's just the ones we dd create were good ones.
Martial's was an absolute sitter, he just took his eye of it. Literally any kind of touch or just barging into the defender a bit more it would of been a goal or an own goal, definitely a golden chance wasted..

ArjenIsM3

Martial's was an absolute sitter, he just took his eye of it. Literally any kind of touch or just barging into the defender a bit more it would of been a goal or an own goal, definitely a golden chance wasted..
Ah right forgot about that one. Thought you meant the one near half time where he dodged the defender but stepped on the ball.

TRUERED89

Ah right forgot about that one. Thought you meant the one near half time where he dodged the defender but stepped on the ball.
Yea that was half a chance too, but I mean the one where Rashford crossed it into the perfect area and Martial just had to throw anything at it... Fecking Wolves piss me off, they even beat us 2-1 under SAF 2010/11 the last time they were in the PL..

MartinRed

Should have win , but we didn't do enough after the penalty. Shaw had to score and I think Rashford should't get substitute.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raw

Yea that was half a chance too, but I mean the one where Rashford crossed it into the perfect area and Martial just had to throw anything at it... Fecking Wolves piss me off, they even beat us 2-1 under SAF 2010/11 the last time they were in the PL..
That was 2010/11. They put an end to our 29 match unbeaten streak (and I think it was our second loss all season up to that point, the other being the 4-0 loss to West Ham in the League Cup).

Tibs

At 60 minutes, Andreas should have come on for Lingard.

Both would have run around and pressed, however Andreas is the only guy who can take good set pieces. We wasted all of ours yesterday.

The worst was when we won a corner before he came on, everyone came up, Mata takes the corner and didn't beat the first man,

Tibs

However, looking at the positives.

We got nothing here last season, yesterday we got a point. And, they only scored due to a piece of brilliant from Neves.

We'll beat Palace, 7 points from the first 3 games I'll take that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Both would have run around and pressed, however Andreas is the only guy who can take good set pieces. We wasted all of ours yesterday.

The worst was when we won a corner before he came on, everyone came up, Mata takes the corner and didn't beat the first man,
Poor Maguire will have a big reality check when it comes to corner kicks and will decide to stay at the back at some point :lol:

Meep

First half was really good yesterday. Patience and methodic breaking down the lines of really compact wolves. Would have liked to see a bit more creativity. Felt also that wolves saved themselves for the second half. Glad that Martial got to continue scoring goals!

Second half was a bit disappointing. Mostly due to that, the movement got worse, maybe cause the energy of the team dropped the longer the match went on. Think wolves really succeded in overrunning us in the midfield and the just kept getting to the second balls all the time in the latter parts of the game. Their goal was a bit to easy for me. And Rashford should, of course, kept on taking the penalties after scoring last week. I think wolves are a better team than chelsea, and the overall performance was a step in the right direction compared to the games vs. them earlier this year.

TRUERED89

However, looking at the positives.

We got nothing here last season, yesterday we got a point. And, they only scored due to a piece of brilliant from Neves.

We'll beat Palace, 7 points from the first 3 games I'll take that.
When the oppo scores a worldie sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and accept it.. Unlucky not to win, but still a good performance considering this is one of the hardest grounds to win at in the PL, none of the top 6 have got 3 points there..

bsCallout

The game was crying out for Gomes, someone who can create and is comfortable on the ball.

If we persist with Lingard, James & Mata for creativity in the final third then we really are going to struggle.

Other than that I thought it was a good performance made to look bad by a penalty miss and Lingard fluffing shots.

JoaquinJoaquin

2 points dropped for sure. We actually played pretty well, and our presssing was forcing Wolves into mistakes. It seemed the introduction of Traore gave them a lift in confidence, he tore Shaw to shreds.

The goal seemed offside to me, but then again there is absolutely no consistency at all with VAR.

StrettyEnder07

Set pieces were driving me scatty yesterday mate, Shaw on free kicks and corners, all woeful, Rashford hitting it from 50 yards when everyone had gotten forward and then Mata, was ridiculous!

Don't think it will be to long before Gomes gets a few chances and makes that No. 10 spot his own.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
There are definite signs of improvements, especially at the back. We still need to improve in attack, but our performance yesterday was a step in the right direction. We deserved 3 points, but got 1. It happens.

Alabaster Codify7

Hmmm.

I predicted a draw, and said I'd be happy with one. I'm not so sure I feel that way now. First half we were solid. Not brilliant but much better than previous games against this lot. Second half we had a period of completely capitulating yet again, we looked knackered, clueless and panicky.

We solidified a bit after that which was encouraging.

But the same problems are still there. We struggled to create anything really, goal aside.

Anyway, minor setback, onto the next one. I'll save my individual gripes for the appropriate threads.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
2 points dropped for sure. We actually played pretty well, and our presssing was forcing Wolves into mistakes. It seemed the introduction of Traore gave them a lift in confidence, he tore Shaw to shreds.

The goal seemed offside to me, but then again there is absolutely no consistency at all with VAR.
It's 2 points dropped for a team with aspirations of winning the league title yes and ultimately that's the difference between us and potential league champions - potential league champions win that game but then no one ever predicted a league title for us this season so I think we should look at it from the other side of the coin and that's that it's 1 point gained on the corresponding fixture of last season

Other than the kick in the teeth that is the result I dont see a log of negatives from last night, it was a dominant performance away to a side that has designs on breaking into the Top 6 and regularly beat members of that top 6 last season.

When comparing it to the Chelsea game, De Gea didn't have a save to make, AWB was better, Lindelof was better, Martial was better, Rashford was a threat again, like I said shame about the result but I'm very positive about last night

edgar allan

Encouraging especially at the back and Martial's performance and effort
We are still carrying a few players that just aren't good enough, I honestly don't know what Lingard does to deserve his place.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Switch Pogba and Rashford on their set pieces duties please.

Superunknown

A 1-1 against Wolves away is a fair result when you look at the player within the starting 11 and bench. We didn't create that much, but then again, neither did Wolves. United were better, but we weren't astronomically better that drawing the game is some kind of crime. Great first half performance, below average second half. Sometimes having a performance like this can help to evaluate how things are going and could lead to positive changes, so we'll have to see what happens in the next game to see if the performance improves.

Our set pieces are so terrible, though. It's almost worthless having a corner or freekick because we do nothing with it. We haven't got these right with any manager since Sir Alex. They can't all be overlooking them, surely.

BulgarianDevil91

I really didn't think we played all that badly, positive football & constant pressing in the first half.
Tony M doesn't mess about with his finishing.

We were ultimately undone by almost definitely the goal of the month, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up & say... fair play!
Penalty wise, Pogs didn't lose us the game, whilst it wasn't right in the corner, it was well hit, Rui got some strong hands too it & kept it out.
However, Lingard really is pants, hopefully Ole will give Angel some minutes.

This.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This is a good result. Many others will struggle to win here and we played well in parts. We are a young team in a really difficult away ground and it was only a worldie that stopped us winning. We could still have won in the end when that was a game we would have lost last season in my opinion.

fps

Well, it's not that stupid if you look at it.

If there is only two of them in the pecking order, they get to choose who takes it.

There comes a game where you're a attacker and nothing is going your way...and if a pen comes along, you just NEED to take it! To get your engine started.

Maybe Pogba needed a headline - Pogba wins it for United, so he took it.

Failed, but, feck it.
It is stupid, because they'll both want to take it. As Neville said, it'll be whoever gets to the ball first who will want to take it. And it's clear Rashford deserves to be the regular penalty taker.

OJKernow

Really enjoyed the first half, thought we were completely dominant and deserved the 1-0 lead at the break. Wolves were always going to come back into it, and scored a beauty of a goal, which sometimes you just have to sit back and applaud with no complaints.

We didn't create enough clear cut chances, but Wolves are a very good side, and will take points off many of the top 6 this season, so chances were always going to be few and far between. Pogba did well to win the penalty, which should have sealed the 3 points, where we'd all be celebrating a 'professional' display in a tough away game. It wasn't to be, and I'm not overly gutted with the single point on reflection this morning.

Three points against Palace on Saturday and it will have been a very good start to the season for us.

More positives than negatives for me last night, we are a long way from being the finished article, but I'm enjoying watching this team so far this season, and am looking forward to seeing how they develop.

Bestietom

Disappointing game. We were dominant in the first half, but completely tanked in the second half. I think it boiled down to Lingard being so ineffectual and our midfield being stretched.
Ole's tactics weren't great and he should have made subs earlier. Still, 4 points from the first 2 games isn't bad. Just wish we could create more chances, and unsure where it's going to come from (consistently) outside Pogba.
Yes, besides Pogba we don't have anyone with that killer pass that will open up defences. We are also thin on the bench with no match winners to come on. Why on earth Gomes and Dalot were not in the squad before Young and Mata I dont know

Alexit

Why change something that's not broken.

- Dan James starting ahead of Perreira
- Pogba taking penalty duties when Rashford scored last week.
Boils down to this for me. James isn't a starter yet, more of an impact kind of guy to sub-on and run at a tired defense late in the game.

Jimmy_Bond

Might be a bizarre thing to say, but the match really reminded me of the second game of the season in 1994/95, when we drew 1-1 away to Nottingham Forrest on Monday Night Football.

Kanchelskis and Collymore both scored bangers that night, and United dominated initially but then a very good Forest team came back to get a 1-1 draw.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 613 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd