PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Tue, 29 December 2020

RedIan

Thought we were bloody dire for 80 minutes, didn’t start to show any desire until the last 10 mins plus injury time. Wolves defended very well and we were not sharp enough moving the ball... but a last gasp winner is sweet and thats how you win leagues...

I thought Bailly was really good today, DDG also made some top saves.

2nd place and possibly a covid break NOW??

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
There's no worse opposition than Wolves, especially for a team that struggles against a deep defence. This, and the look on spaniel-headed, rheumy eyed Santo's face at the end, made that a very satisfying win. Get the feck in.

MalcolmTucker

No one can say Wolves were unlucky when their goalkeeper was being booked for time wasting in the 72nd minute. Boring game and we were shite but ecstatic to get the win

Rustyspider13

Very happy end to the year. Deserved win. We created the best chance. We kept going till the end and got the points. Wolves showed spirit but at the end of the day, quality mattered. Bruno's running on fumes but he still delivered that ball/

Shoutout to Bailly. Had a flawless performance. We need to get a RB in the January window or use Williams/Laird. An average one from the championship will do. These games show how badly we need one who can attack.

Villa will hopefully be a much more open game.

DeGea

We should fecking have a battle cry teamtalk every bloody week from now. If we win against Villa and that will be a tough match, this title is definitely winnable.

Anfield will be a huge, huge game in our development post Fergie.

crossy1686

career ending
Just a reminder. It's the congested Christmas fixture time, we've played 2 games in 3 days, made 6 changes. This performance is expected but this is a huge 3 points. These late wins are becoming big for us.

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
One of the ways I would not like to see United get 3 points but 3 points it is now two behind Liverpool.

stevoc

Imagine being a Wolves fan and watching that tumescent shite twice a week.

It’s about time they dropped the football club from their name because I haven’t seen them try to play any in about 3 years now.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Wins like this are the best. When the hell did Wolves become Stoke 2.0? I don't have to many problems with us struggling against this cowardly Wolves side. We don't yet have the quality to break down these kinds of set-ups, but we are in my opinion getting better at it, even though today didn't show that.

MattyLT

Well, that was a bit like a premature ejaculation; Not exactly what you'd want, but job done nonetheless. Another notch in the bedpost, but won't be discussing it any further.

Gordon S

Hate playing against Wolves, we create feck all.
But honestly don`t think it was undeserved even if were poor. Wolves defended with everything they had for long periods. The game was very close and we just have better players. Absolute quality from Rashford to get that shot away.

Some of our players are running on fumes.Especially Bruno who wasn`t as sharp as he usually is, and that decides a lot of things for us, he is the engine and brain behind our football.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
What it is about these two teams that tends to produce awful football matches? I dread these Wolves fixtures.

Thought we'd win quite easily today but the longer the game went on I knew I'd be happy with any kind of goal, and it completely changed the mood of the night. An ugly, boring, missed opportunity becomes a 'win when not playing well' in an instant.

However that doesn't mean that this performance doesn't need to be analysed. Fatigue is an obvious factor of course, but I do feel that once again the Pogba Matic midfield base caused a lot of our problems. They are not a partnership. Rarely close to one another, rarely giving the defence an option to play out. It leads to slow build up and a mis-shapen team.

Apart from that though, feck it. 3pts. Move on to Villa

Offsideagain

Wolves were the better team for most of the match. How would you expect them to play with no strikers fit? They showed that we have no game breakers. Sell Pogba and buy Grealish in January whatever the cost. Bailly a revelation.

Roboc7

The way we were set up was terrible and we were sleepwalking through the game but we won so that’s all that matters. Didn’t deserve 3 points but need to follow it up and beat Villa now which is going to be a very difficult game.

Jacko21

Joyless Wolves.

Stuffy goal, but an invaluable three points.

Second in the table (and we've dropped some daft points as well). Onwards.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
The game wasn't pretty because one of the teams didn't play to win. The result was fair because the team that tried the most, won.

FatherWolff

Cruel game. Will take it all day long. Bailly and Matic joint man of the match

dpansheth

expected defensive game at this time of the year.. Wolves did not want to lose and came looking for a draw, got what they deserved. 2 points behind leaders , cant complain.. Ole really really need to focus on improving home form.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Thoroughly deserved to win. Wolves done well to con people considering they played with 11 men behind the ball. Well organised all the same.

tjb

I don't think our front 4 were bad, i think both Maguire and Bailly were good too. The big concern today is how slow and tepid our midfield made our build up play.It allowed wolves to organize. When we are forced to play at that pace, it forces our attackers to need to create through really incisive passes or moments of pure magic, which weren't possible today. In addition to that, our midfield were terrible at halting the counter. What's the point of a double pivot if they can be passed through that quickly and easily.

We need to address this issue.

Bailly was phenomenal. He is only 26, this may be his chance if he can stay clear of injuries.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Awful game to watch but it's just right we got a forgettable win because Wolves force you to play forgettable football.

Reddevildans

Fantastic result. I had that nagging feeling we'll come though for some reason I don't know. Bit of luck but who cares. We were unlucky with the equaliser against Leicester. We look shattered at the end. Rashford really needs a rest. Liverpool played like that at the beginning of last season and always scrapped a win somehow. This is a habit we need to develop. Bailly was excellent.

And wolves. Really hate their gameplay. A technically astute team like them should be playing more attacking. They have good players but tend to play way too negative.

Cpt Negative

I’m not going to read into the performance too much. It’s wolves, we always struggle and they have 9 or 10 behind the ball.

Always low scoring games with few chances because of the way they set up, there’s a reason some call them Stokerhampton.

You need a few 1-0 wins when you’ve not played well. Happy with the result and defensively looked sound.

biggest plus was not conceding a shit sloppy goal

rooney2009

Liverpool scored a few late goals last season when they were not playing well
Its always good to win when you are not playing well
I don’t care how we play as long as we are winning

talking robot

Very happy to see us get a clean sheet for once. I think Bailly has earned the right to start Friday, even if Lindelof is back.

stu_1992

Fecking hell that was frustrating and hard work but we got there! That's all that matters. Huge boost to win that game so late when it looked like we would lose ground. That's the sort of game we were getting a draw from last season so I'm impressed to see us be able to grind out a win.

OneUnited24

Players like Rashford and Bruno are priceless. Both were far from good today but even after all the wayward shots and passes they both took it on at the end. Bruno with the pass over and Rashford to make it count. Lucky with the deflection but it’s important we kept going and ground out the win.

Also wolves deserved that. Showed no ambition in that second hard. Basically set up to frustrate us.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 320 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Wolves
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Wolves