Potential Herrera Replacements

Fer

IMO Ndombele would be the best replacement. But it seems that Tielemans is the caf favorite to replace Herrera. There are other players like De Beek or even Fernandes that can be better than Mctominay in that position.

I didn't mention Barella, Ndidi, Rice, Neves, because they are more Matic replacements.

L1nk

Nicolo Barella
Youri Tielemans
Adrien Rabiot

Think Barella is more box to box, very Herrera'ish rather than a Matic replacement personally

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He should certainly get a chance. I'm also wondering if, as a final chance to save his OT career, Phil Jones might be pressed into service as a midfield destroyer. I'd watch it for a couple of matches out of sheer fascination.
In all seriousness, Jones is pretty good there when he gets going. The issue is he's not fit enough and we can never reply upon him. I know this forum is very anti Jones nowadays (and I wish we could just sell him) but the guy does have talent -- its of no use though.

-Supreme-

McTominay and Fred are very different from Matic.

I think the term 'DM' is woefully inadequate in general. But I presume that video games have baked the idea of that position into the minds of football fans around the world.

The truth is that Matic is the ONLY player in the squad who defends the space behind him. McTominay and Fred and primarily midfileders who defend the space in front of them. You can't just look at tackling/intercepting stats to judge that.

I'm in favour of bringing in an upgrade on Matic. But if we were to sell him, we'd need to buy two. That makes no sense. I'd go for Rice, with Matic as backup.
I'm 100% with you, I have seen this point argued numerous times on the Herrera thread, in particular Ekeke who tried to use heatmaps to 'prove' that Herrera is a DM and play as deep as Matic.

Kidders

Tielemans looks a good fit, N'domele would also work, or even Julian Brant, I don't think It would be likely but Arthur from Barca would be fantastic.

Infra-red

Thiago, Verratti, Allan... realistically, Barella, maybe Ceballos or Fabian Ruiz.

Savanier has had an impressive season.

davidmichael

N’Dombele, Rice and Rabiot would be a good trio to bring in and would complement Pogba (if he stays), McTominay, Pereira and Matic (as a back up).

Fer

If we want to get the best out of Pogba, then we would need someone with energy like N'Dombele, Kante, etc.

It seems that we have been linked with Fernandes, he is a great midfielder. But I can see him more as Pogba replacement than complement.

It's also important to get a CDM to build a good midfield to compete for the league.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we want to get the best out of Pogba, then we would need someone with energy like N'Dombele, Kante, etc.

It seems that we have been linked with Fernandes, he is a great midfielder. But I can see him more as Pogba replacement than complement.

It's also important to get a CDM to build a good midfield to compete for the league.
I think we should go with a ball winner like Rice as the DM.

Jibbs

I think we need to sign two midfielders, one should be Rabiot because he is available for free and then Rice or Tielemans or Bruno(if we are really lucky). If Pogba also leaves then surely we need three mids.

Fer

My preferred option is N'Domebele, but he is a bit unrealistic at the moment.

Van de Beek would be a good alternative.

Number32

How about James Ward-Prowse?
I used to think he's not good enough for us, but his game was improving last season.

It's a downgrade for a box to box skill set, but at least a major upgrade for set pieces.

Fer

Are we trying to sign Longstaff to replace Herrera or Matic?

Fer

Nicolo Barella would be a good replacement for Herrera. We need a player with that kind of energy. N'Dombele is another great option.

Patrick08

Nicolo Barella would be a good replacement for Herrera. We need a player with that kind of energy. N'Dombele is another great option.
If Bruno Fernandes comes wont he be replacing Herrera?

Redstar7

Hope we buy both if pogba going to leave.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Potential Herrera Replacements:

The void will be filled by one of....
McTominay
Fred
Mata
Periera

Fer

I guess so. But I wouldn't be surprised if Fernandes ends up as Pogba replacement.

If we are going to play with Pogba and Fernandes, we would need a mobile CDM.

Fer

I wanted N'Dombele because he is available. But it seems that Longstaff could end up being Herrera replacement.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't pretend to know a great deal about the guy but isn't Fernandes largely an attack-minded midfielder compared to Herrera who was more defensive?

angusaa07

Would love Fabian Ruiz, young with plenty of potential. Great on the ball a good work rate as well think he'd be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Any chance they could sign Herrera ? He’s available on a free.
If he hasn't yet signed for another club, I'd be tempted to bring him back.
With Herrera, we know what we are getting. Any other player would carry a degree of risk.
Such a shame that he left us on a free. Insane when you think how strict Woodward is when it comes to financial matters.

We'll See Out There!

Guys could his lack of signing for anyone be the fact that he's not very good!? He was average at best for United, ran about a bit but all fart no poo really. Plus he got carried off the pitch by Mark Noble, in his arms, like a 5 year old child!

Last edited by a moderator:

LuckyScout78

If United Ole are playing 4411 formation. Then he shall find a nr.8 to replace Herrera. Because Matic is still here and Matic is more a dcm and nr.8.

But if Ole using 433 formation. Then a rcm shall be find and but. Then Bruno Fernandes can suit that role

Fernando Chiesa - Saul/Fernandes- Matic/McTom/Longstaff/Rice - Pogba/Perreira - Martial James + Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

United need to get a top hard work running legs like Kante or as good as Fernandinho. Then the future will looks good.

Fer

Now that N'Dombele signed for Tottenham, what do you think about Barella as Herrera replacement? He could play in a midfield of 2.

bucky

Now that N'Dombele signed for Tottenham, what do you think about Barella as Herrera replacement? He could play in a midfield of 2.
Looks like he's going to Inter.

Patrick08

Bruno looks like to be that player for us.