Pre-season friendlies 2018

Hoof the ball

Henderson, Wijnaldum, Clyne and Inga aren't first choice for you.

You had more senior players on the pitch and have had a longer pre season. Simple as that.
The likes of City, Bayern, Dortmund, et al, have played with arguably more youth products with a similar level of fitness and preparation to us, and yet have looked a lot more fluid than us.

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool

You had more senior players on the pitch and have had a longer pre season. Simple as that.
In the first half we did, in the second half we only had 1 first team player (Robertson), the rest were all kids and squad players.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hudson Odoi showing some skills vs Inter
The thing that impressed me the most was him telling off David Luiz and a few other older players for not giving him the ball where he wanted it.

Sarri kinda hinted at him (and Ethan Ampadu) going on loan this season. Don't know what I think about that, I think CHO would be a great back-up for Hazard but a season playing every week for someone might be more beneficial. He's only 17 so plenty of time.

Classical Mechanic

The thing that impressed me the most was him telling off David Luiz and a few other older players for not giving him the ball where he wanted it.

Sarri kinda hinted at him (and Ethan Ampadu) going on loan this season. Don't know what I think about that, I think CHO would be a great back-up for Hazard but a season playing every week for someone might be more beneficial. He's only 17 so plenty of time.
I think he’s good enough to play for Chelsea this season but he does kind of operate in Hazard’s best positions. Hope he gets a PL loan and doesn’t go to Vitesse. Ampadu is quality too. Reminds me of Rio.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think he’s good enough to play for Chelsea this season but he does kind of operate in Hazard’s best positions. Hope he gets a PL loan and doesn’t go to Vitesse. Ampadu is quality too. Reminds me of Rio.
I think Palace would be a great side for CHO. Especially if they lose Zaha.

As for Ampadu, he's already good enough to be a starter for a prem side in central defence. It's pretty crazy for a 17 year old. For all the hype around our youth setup, Ampadu might be the best player and he's actually a product of Exeter City. They got royally screwed in the compensation we have to pay them (a max of £2.5 million plus 20% of any transfer/loan fees received).

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
It still amazes me how emotional, wound-up, & paranoid some supporters get over pre-season friendlies. These matches are in no way an indicator of how your club is going to fare throughout the coming season. The past few years we've thrashed Barcelona, Bayern Munich (on their own patch), & Dortmund. In all 3 games the opposition fielded very strong sides, & yet when the season finished we still found ourselves with nothing to show for it in terms of silverware. Last night's match between us & United is a prime example. In days gone by this game would have been advertised as Manchester United XI v Liverpool XI. It wouldn't have been shown on the telly, & you'd be lucky to find any sort of match report, such was the insignificance of the match. Becoming hysterical when your side loses such a game doesn't do your team, your players, or your manager, any favours at all. There's enough pressure on them as it is when the season starts. These games are nothing more than competitive training sessions for all those involved.

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
It still amazes me how emotional, wound-up, & paranoid some supporters get over pre-season friendlies. These matches are in no way an indicator of how your club is going to fare throughout the coming season. The past few years we've thrashed Barcelona, Bayern Munich (on their own patch), & Dortmund. In all 3 games the opposition fielded very strong sides, & yet when the season finished we still found ourselves with nothing to show for it in terms of silverware. Last night's match between us & United is a prime example. In days gone by this game would have been advertised as Manchester United XI v Liverpool XI. It wouldn't have been shown on the telly, & you'd be lucky to find any sort of match report, such was the insignificance of the match. Becoming hysterical when your side loses such a game doesn't do your team, your players, or your manager, any favours at all. There's enough pressure on them as it is when the season starts. These games are nothing more than competitive training sessions for all those involved.
Your right in one thing you say "These matches are in no way an indicator of how your club is going to fare throughout the coming season" they're not but to say "These games are nothing more than competitive training sessions" you couldn't be more wrong, yes, no points are won, no trophies are won but it was UTD vs Liverpool and these games matter, UTD fans are gutted they lost last night whether they want to admit it or not, just like i would have been if we'd lost, i hate losing to UTD just as much as they hate losing to us, to the managers it's a training session, to us fans UTD vs Liverpool is a must win game, how any fan from either club can say this game was meaningless and meant nothing is beyond me.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Your right in one thing you say "These matches are in no way an indicator of how your club is going to fare throughout the coming season" they're not but to say "These games are nothing more than competitive training sessions" you couldn't be more wrong, yes, no points are won, no trophies are won but it was UTD vs Liverpool and these games matter, UTD fans are gutted they lost last night whether they want to admit it or not, just like i would have been if we'd lost, i hate losing to UTD just as much as they hate losing to us, to the managers it's a training session, to us fans UTD vs Liverpool is a must win game, how any fan from either club can say this game was meaningless and meant nothing is beyond me.
Completely agree. There was 101,000 people there yesterday. If these games are pointless friendlies purely for building up fitness, just play them behind closed doors!

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

:lol::lol: Since when were Henderson and Wijnaldum not first choice for us.
Clyne was first choice till he got his injury so no fault of his own there. Ings is literally the only one.

It's a pre season friendly in which you got thrashed 4-1. It's likely going to have no significant bearing on the season, it's good for fitness and confidence that's all. Oh and for working on new things and getting new signings accustomed to the way of playing at the club.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

when did this happen?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Hudson Odoi showing some skills vs Inter

Not actually very impressive. Shouldn't be dribbling like that deep inside his own half for the first one. And in both cases, the only thing he achieved was running sideways. He'll find dribbling forwards more difficult at senior level.

haram

The two first team players (Sanchez & Mata) we had on the pitch were also playing in positions we do not usually use them in. Bailly was obviously playing injured as well.

What we can take out of it is that Pereira played well. It’s just a shame we do not have more players with us.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
when did this happen?
Since TheReligion thinks Fabinho and Keita will be two of our three starting midfielders, although he also likes to say as much as possible how they're new to the league and could be struggling earlier on. Apparently you can have it both ways.

Classical Mechanic

Not actually very impressive. Shouldn't be dribbling like that deep inside his own half for the first one. And in both cases, the only thing he achieved was running sideways. He'll find dribbling forwards more difficult at senior level.
Those are just eye catching skills. In the first instance he has little option but to use his skill to escape. Against Inter he was playing against senior players and completed 11/12 dribbles, which is an extremely high amount.

In his brief appearances in the PL he's had no problem dribbling players either.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG - Atletico Madrid
Last chance for us to get a result at ICC, looks possible with a couple players coming back and Atleti missing many.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
3-2 FT for PSG with a last minute winner. Paris dominated most of the game with good performaces from the youngsters but Atletico also had a fair amount of clear cut chances.

TheReligion

Abusive
:lol::lol: Since when were Henderson and Wijnaldum not first choice for us.
Clyne was first choice till he got his injury so no fault of his own there. Ings is literally the only one.

It's a pre season friendly in which you got thrashed 4-1. It's likely going to have no significant bearing on the season, it's good for fitness and confidence that's all. Oh and for working on new things and getting new signings accustomed to the way of playing at the club.
Since you spent over 100m signing Fabinho and Keita?

Clyne hasn't been first choice for ages. Come on.. surely I don't need to educate you about your own club! :angel:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Since you spent over 100m signing Fabinho and Keita?

Clyne hasn't been first choice for ages. Come on.. surely I don't need to educate you about your own club! :angel:
Wrong.

And Clyne was injured, that’s why.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Is that Diaby kid always that impressive?! He was absolutely immense!
He's just back from the U19 Euro where he was one of the best French players. He hasn't really played with the PSG first team yet. He had some solid performances in youth league and was loaned to Crotone last season where he barely played.

I like his potential although I don't know if he can make it in Paris, there's a bit of Robben in him, he could either get some game time at PSG if we sell some attacking players or get loaned to a club who puts more faith in him than Crotone.

Loublaze

ATLien
Spurs-Milan coming to a close with Spurs leading 1-0. This game has been played in the spirit of a proper competitive match by both sides. Milan really going for the equalizer with a minute left in stoppage time