g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Premier League Festive Season

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Forster fouled Doherty. Protection for keepers is ridiculous.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I am sick in the mouth but I don’t think that’s a foul on the keeper either. Two decisions now Spurs will feel extremely hard done by.

We seen it with Schmeichel v Villa I think it was, keepers are extremely over protected. Forster spills that but as his hands are on the ball, the referee will always give the foul.

Very tight offside harshly given and now goal disallowed harshly. Can see a few angry Spuds.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thought the rules were changed this season to avoid this sort of thing. Only clear and obvious calls should be ruled offside by VAR
Clear and obvious doesn't apply to offsides. But a margin of error was introduced and this was outside that.

cyberman

Thought the rules were changed this season to avoid this sort of thing. Only clear and obvious calls should be ruled offside by VAR
The lines are thicker. Goes to show there will always be an incident in grey areas no matter how thick the lines are

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I’m surprised Ndombele is not coming on. Spurs lacking any sort of creative presence with the poor Winks and the passive Hoijberg.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Clear and obvious doesn't apply to offsides. But a margin of error was introduced and this was outside that.
Would the saints players or management even tried to call this as offside pre VAR?

I think the tennis system of giving a team a certain amount of challenges a game with them losing one if they do it for correct decisions is a decent middle ground between VAR and pre VAR.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some goon defender just shoved Antonio, whose momentum bundled him into another Watford player, and the ref gave Watford the free kick :lol:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I absolutely fecking hate it if CBs who are running backwards to a loose ball but are not really under pressure put the ball out to the side. Seen it from Newcastle yesterday, seen it just now from Southampton. Makes me angry. fecking amateurs, cowards, you are payed millions for your profession but don't dare to pass the ball to the GK or manage to control it and find a teammate? Just casually giving away possession in a situation where the opponent is dominating already. Keep the ball for Christ's sake, how hard can it be. I'd fecking sell such players ASAP.

saivet

How the feck did we only scrape a result against Norwich?! Battered by Arsenal and now Palace since our game.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I absolutely fecking hate it if CBs who are running backwards to a loose ball but are not really under pressure put the ball out to the side. Seein it from Newcastle yesterday, seen it just now from Southampton. Makes me angry. fecking amateurs, cowards, you are payed millions for your profession but don't dare to pass the ball to the GK or manage to control it and find a teammate? Just casually giving away possession in a situation where the opponent is dominating already. Keep the ball for Christ's sake, how hard can it be. I'd fecking sell such players ASAP.
Yet they pass back to keeper, and slightly underhit but a player nips in and bangs a goal in. Then we get "why didn't he just clear it? feckin idiot" :lol:

slored1

Doherty is one of the worst Premier League footballers I have ever seen.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yet they pass back to keeper, and slightly underhit but a player nips in and bangs a goal in. Then we get "why didn't he just clear it? feckin idiot" :lol:
That's what they're being paid for. Manage to pass a ball to the keeper. If they mess that up, at least it's an honest mistake.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Would the saints players or management even tried to call this as offside pre VAR?

I think the tennis system of giving a team a certain amount of challenges a game with them losing one if they do it for correct decisions is a decent middle ground between VAR and pre VAR.
I’d love this. It would speed the game up a bit too instead of checking every decision. it would be seriously open to more controversy though.

It would be hilarious watching people like Klopp who demand VAR with every decision. He would genuinely burst a blood vessel if he had run out of decisions.

A Norwich fan ran on the pitch and got a touch of the ball in the box, then their fans started singing ”sign him up, sign him up” :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

You'd end up with more stoppages with that sort of tennis style system though.

It would be easier if people just accept that if you're not just offside but offside by more than the MOE that favours the attacker, an offside should be given.

Plus there's a semi-automated offside system on the way anyway which will be different again.

Withnail

The lines are thicker. Goes to show there will always be an incident in grey areas no matter how thick the lines are
I think the thicker lines have sorted it tbh. I've not seen one this season I thought was dodgy.

The broadcast angle and the fact that perspective distortion isn't a very intuitive concept doesn't help.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Exactly. The lines have to be drawn somewhere, literally and figuratively.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I’d love this. It would speed the game up a bit too instead of checking every decision. it would be seriously open to more controversy though.

It would be hilarious watching people like Klopp who demand VAR with every decision. He would genuinely burst a blood vessel if he had run out of decisions.
I don't think they would atleast for the first 70 or so minutes, they'll be too wary of losing challenges that they will only contest if they genuinely believe it was a clear wrong decision.

But to bring me neatly onto my next point the one disadvantage that may come about is managers may try their luck late in games (when they have nothing to lose by calling a challenge) on the off chance the VAR people have a mare, but no solution is perfect.

Deery

Dreary
Typical Spurs when you need them to win can’t score against a 10 man Southampton, cnuts!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It was nice of Southampton to go down to 10 men to make this an actual match. Otherwise spurs would be out of it. It's made it a decent watch in the end.

cj_sparky

speaking of time wasting the ref should have given us 20 minutes for the rolling around the Geordie scum did yesterday.
The Palace game had a 6-7 minute stoppage for the ref to be rewired, 3 goals and 2-3 stoppages for the physio. The added time was 5 minutes.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Lucas Moura should have done better there but his movement shows why he should start ahead of Dele Ali every game.

Dele Ali is similar to Rashford, a player who peaked far too early with too much hype and stagnated and regressed.