g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Premier League Gameweek 12

TheReligion

Abusive
No, I actually fully agree with you, sorry if it came across otherwise. We did the very same mistake as you and he didn't even have Ole's awesome bounce. The only difference is that we sacked him swiftly, as we saw he wouldn't get us anywhere and we're nowhere near as having the same ambitions as yours.
Fair enough. No hard feelings. My point was it was very hard for the club not to appoint Ole after the huge winning streak he had and how he lifted the mood at the club drastically when he arrived. That, and being a club legend, meant it would have been beyond harsh to dismiss him and not offer him the job.

Not sure why United get stick over this. They made a choice I think almost any club in the same boat would have done and now things are wobbling have stuck to their guns (at least until the end of the season). As frustrated as I am I think it's quite admirable and refreshing for a big club. Yes there's plenty of things to improve but I don't get the smug comments on here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fair enough. No hard feelings. My point was it was very hard for the club not to appoint Ole after the huge winning streak he had and how he lifted the mood at the club drastically when he arrived. That, and being a club legend, meant it would have been beyond harsh to dismiss him and not offer him the job.

Not sure why United get stick over this. They made a choice I think almost any club in the same boat would have done and now things are wobbling have stuck to their guns (at least until the end of the season). As frustrated as I am I think it's quite admirable and refreshing for a big club. Yes there's plenty of things to improve but I don't get the smug comments on here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
It's all about timing for me, let Ole finish the season and the goals were met, then offer him the job. Was there a serious need (other than to calm the fans down) to do it so early ? Our winning streak comprised mostly of terrible or average teams anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's all about timing for me, let Ole finish the season and the goals were met, then offer him the job. Was there a serious need (other than to calm the fans down) to do it so early ? Our winning streak comprised mostly of terrible or average teams anyway.
I'll have it but it's hardly a big deal.

Essentially like it or not the club made the right decision under the circumstances.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For a young player Maddison is extremely comfortable talking in front of a camera. He sounded like a pro pundit just then.

simmee

If the ref is adamant that he sees it then there isnt much VAR can do.
Thatss the way I understood it?
It's the ref's call on whether to leave the decision to VAR.

It's stupid but there you go.
Thanks, hadn't realised it worked like that. Yep, a bit stupid... Especially if you're then going to use it for millimeter offside calls.

kouroux

I'll have it but it's hardly a big deal.

Essentially like it or not the club made the right decision under the circumstances.
It's not the right decision whatsoever, it was PR driven with no real long term planning. Ole is the perfect manager for the owners, a club legend who is a nice man, who will not throw tantrums, who will not do a Jose. Having sacked Moyes, LVG and Jose, this was our chance to do things slowly and properly but no, the masses had to be calmed down and here we go again. Just like the rumors of signins a DOF before appointing a manager, all PR to appease the fans.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Leicester are already 5 points clear from 5th place. Given that the two London clubs and our pretty selves look to be in disarray, there's a good chance that Brendan Rodgers will manage Leicester in the CL next season. Not bad for a club that decided to sack its own "miracle worker" Claudio Ranieri because the right chemistry wasn't there anymore and then went on to sack two more full-time managers in the space of two years, huh?

Anyway, if Leicester manage to find themselves in the top-four after a rather unforgiving hectic second half of December when they have 5 games in 15 days and they'll play Everton, City, WHU & Newcastle away and their only home game is against Liverpool, my guess is that they finish the season in the top-four too.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's not the right decision whatsoever, it was PR driven with no real long term planning. Ole is the perfect manager for the owners, a club legend who is a nice man, who will not throw tantrums, who will not do a Jose. Having sacked Moyes, LVG and Jose, this was our chance to do things slowly and properly but no, the masses had to be calmed down and here we go again. Just like the rumors of signins a DOF before appointing a manager, all PR to appease the fans.
Totally disagree. You say all this with hindsight which is a beautiful thing. Ole lifted the club from the depths of total despair and took us on one of the longest winning streaks in the club entire history. He was rightly offered the job and it would have been impossible not to give it him under the circumstances. I don't think any club in the world would have moved him on after what he did and that's not even mentioning the fact he's a club legend.

kouroux

Totally disagree. You say all this with hindsight which is a beautiful thing. Ole lifted the club from the depths of total despair and took us on one of the longest winning streaks in the club entire history. He was rightly offered the job and it would have been impossible not to give it him under the circumstances. I don't think any club in the world would have moved him on after what he did and that's not even mentioning the fact he's a club legend.
Not hindsight if I felt it at the time (even if saying too loudly would have gotten one some abuse at the time). The fact that he is a club legend should never have been taken into account when evaluating his work. It's not a surprise our performances level dropped as soon as the first rumors of him being made permanent emerged. A job as huge as this, it was crazy stupid to give it that early to Ole.

jem

Had he continued the good form to the end of the season, that you would have a point, but there was absolutely no need to make the appointment in March. Had Ole got us top-4, playing good football throughout the season, then I think nobody would have had reason to question his appointment.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
A win tomorrow takes us up to 5th in the table..

Must win. There, I said it.
When was the last time we capitalised on those type of situations? These are the times when we always contrive to feck things up. I'm hoping I'm wrong this time though.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not hindsight if I felt it at the time (even if saying too loudly would have gotten one some abuse at the time). The fact that he is a club legend should never have been taken into account when evaluating his work. It's not a surprise our performances level dropped as soon as the first rumors of him being made permanent emerged.
The fact he's a club legend was always going to have an impact. That's one of the reasons he was brought in at the time!

Ultimately I think anyone who says they wouldn't have given Ole the job at the time is talking shite (sorry). It was the obvious and correct thing to do. Jesus the guy earnt it!

If it doesn't work out I'd agree the club should be ruthless and sack him but obviously a decision has been made to give him time and as fans we should support that as best we can.

kouroux

The fact he's a club legend was always going to have an impact. That's one of the reasons he was brought in at the time!

Ultimately I think anyone who says they wouldn't have given Ole the job at the time is talking shite (sorry). It was the obvious and correct thing to do. Jesus the guy earnt it!

If it doesn't work out I'd agree the club should be ruthless and sack him but obviously a decision has been made to give him time and as fans we should support that as best we can.
Yes, without a doubt but it really shouldn't have mattered when assessing him as a manager. His legendary status doesn't give him special coaching talent sadly. He is here though and will finish the season so all I can do is hope for the best.

TheReligion

Abusive
Had he continued the good form to the end of the season, that you would have a point, but there was absolutely no need to make the appointment in March. Had Ole got us top-4, playing good football throughout the season, then I think nobody would have had reason to question his appointment.
I don't know the exact reasons behind the timing of the appointment, perhaps assurances were needed or Molde needed to know. Timing aside though it was the right decision and people need to accept that and move on.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes, without a doubt but it really shouldn't have mattered when assessing him as a manager. His legendary status doesn't give him special coaching talent sadly.
No one said he did have special talents but midway through a season and in need of a caretaker appointing someone like him was logical.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
George Baldock, who leveled the match for Sheffield against Spurs, played in Iceland 7 years ago. He was very good here and has worked his way up to the PL it seems.

Not many players that have played in the entire English league system.

kouroux

No one said he did have special talents but midway through a season and in need of a caretaker appointing someone like him was logical.
We weren't of a caretaker as he was already there as that, we needed to assess first how the season would end before considering him as permanent. It cannot be a coincidence that things took a nosedive afterwards

TheReligion

Abusive
We weren't of a caretaker as he was already there as that, we needed to assess first how the season would end before considering him as permanent. It cannot be a coincidence that things took a nosedive afterwards
No you misunderstand. He was brought to the club as a caretaker in specific circumstances. He definitely would not have been considered in a normal process from scratch. He got the job surprisingly after what he achieved when given the opportunity.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The title race will be wide open should City win tomorrow. The opposite would send Liverpool 8 points clear at the top.

Yeah, terrifying.

kouroux

No you misunderstand. He was brought to the club as a caretaker in specific circumstances. He definitely would not have been considered in a normal process from scratch. He got the job surprisingly after what he achieved when given the opportunity.
I'll agree with this. Hoping for the best now anyway

Judas

Open to offers
I get why Ole got the job, but I wish the club didn’t give in to the overwhelming media and fan pressure around the time of the PSG game to give him the job. It’s obvious why they did it, and I dont blame them in many ways, but them staying firm till the end of the season could have really put us in a very different position right now.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'll agree with this. Hoping for the best now anyway
Me too. We all want the best and I'm sure we all want him to succeed. Fans need to accept this season is a write off, rightly or wrongly, and support the club whilst we ride it out. Hopefully we can build on something and get a clear progressive style defined then continue the clear out and recruiting in January and the summer.

Giggsyking

How dare they disagree with thou!
What to disagree about? That Ole is a novice manager from the Norwegian league who relegated Cardiff? or the fact we are jumping every week between 7th and 14th? I cant believe i have to clarify that!

kouroux

Me too. We all want the best and I'm sure we all want him to succeed. Fans need to accept this season is a write off, rightly or wrongly, and support the club whilst we ride it out. Hopefully we can build on something and get a clear progressive style defined then continue the clear out and recruiting in January and the summer.
Amen to that. We need to use this time like Liverpool did with Klopp a couple of years ago when we finished 2nd. They transformed themselves in the second half of the season and the basis of the current team were being build up. Hopefully in January we can bring one player who can make a good difference.

dev1l

What to disagree about, That Ole is a novice manager from the Norwegian league who relegated Cardiff? or the fact we are jumping every week between 7th and 14th? I cant believe i have to clarify that!
People have the right to disagree with you I presume?

RooneyLegend

How bad do things have to get for it not to have worked out?

Giggsyking

People have the right to disagree with you I presume?
Absolutely, but they have to come with concrete, rational explanations to make us understand why are they still support a manager taken a club from 6th position to 14th in few months? We hired him to get us into top 4, not bottom 4!

RooneyLegend

dont leicester have one of the better defensive records in the league right now? even better than us with their 80 million pound defender we bought?

edit:just looked it up. 3 less goals allowed, to go along with 14 more goals that they have scored than we have. So not sure right now is best time to be dismissing the job rodgers is doing
Great defensive sides don't concede that many chances.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Predictions for City/Pool?
Obviously I’m hoping for a City win.
And I don’t even feel dirty after saying that. That’s how bad it is I suppose.

It’ll probably be a draw though.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

I think in their minds your owners and upper management thought they had no choice really but to hire Ole after the streak. But that’s the problem with the ownership isn’t it? They needed to be a little more patient and not be swayed by public opinion. Is that Woodward? Who knows. In retrospect the streak was the worst thing that could of happened to united.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think in their minds your owners and upper management thought they had no choice really but to hire Ole after the streak. But that’s the problem with the ownership isn’t it? They needed to be a little more patient and not be swayed by public opinion. Is that Woodward? Who knows. In retrospect the streak was the worst thing that could of happened to united.
Our ownership are so obsessed with social media that they let it influence all their decisions.

Paul_Scholes18

Predictions for City/Pool?
Obviously I’m hoping for a City win.
And I don’t even feel dirty after saying that. That’s how bad it is I suppose.

It’ll probably be a draw though.
A draw is pretty much ideal for Leicester and Chelsea which is good. Want someone else than City and Pool to win it.